Packing Rust Applications

Michael Aquilina
I'm trying to package ripgrep within OBS but it seems like github is
unreachable by the OBS virtual machines (presumably because it's a
security issue?).

Cargo needs to contact github to retrieve the necessary crates and
compile the binary.

[   13s] + cargo build --release --verbose
[   13s]     Updating registry `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index`
[   13s] warning: spurious network error (2 tries remaining): [12/-1]
curl error: Could not resolve host: github.com
[   13s]
[   13s] warning: spurious network error (1 tries remaining): [12/-1]
curl error: Could not resolve host: github.com
[   13s]
[   13s] error: failed to fetch `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index`
[   13s]
[   13s] Caused by:
[   13s]   [12/-1] curl error: Could not resolve host: github.com
[   13s]

What is the recommended way of packaging rust applications if there is
no access to the crate index?

It's probably worth mentioning that this builds successfully with rpmbuild

--
Michael Aquilina

Re: Packing Rust Applications

Neal Gompa
On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Michael Aquilina
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to package ripgrep within OBS but it seems like github is
> unreachable by the OBS virtual machines (presumably because it's a
> security issue?).
>
> Cargo needs to contact github to retrieve the necessary crates and
> compile the binary.
>
> [   13s] + cargo build --release --verbose
> [   13s]     Updating registry `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index`
> [   13s] warning: spurious network error (2 tries remaining): [12/-1]
> curl error: Could not resolve host: github.com
> [   13s]
> [   13s] warning: spurious network error (1 tries remaining): [12/-1]
> curl error: Could not resolve host: github.com
> [   13s]
> [   13s] error: failed to fetch `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index`
> [   13s]
> [   13s] Caused by:
> [   13s]   [12/-1] curl error: Could not resolve host: github.com
> [   13s]
>
> What is the recommended way of packaging rust applications if there is
> no access to the crate index?
>
> It's probably worth mentioning that this builds successfully with rpmbuild

Luke Jones has been working on bringing in the necessary packaging
capabilities (including macros) for Rust to openSUSE. Along with
myself, Igor Gnatenko, Josh Stone, and Rémi Verschelde, we've been
working on creating a standard packaging practice for Fedora, Mageia,
and openSUSE for Rust.

At this time, I believe it's not quite possible yet outside of the
Rust playground for Fedora on COPR[1], as we depend on new
functionality for RPM that is in development[2][3]. I'm working with
Luke on porting the respective changes to openSUSE so that we can have
a similar playground on OBS for Rust things.

[1]: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/rust/playground/
[2]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/159
[3]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/164

Re: Packing Rust Applications

Michael Aquilina
Thanks for this. Is there anywhere apart from the issue and PR you
linked to that I could follow progress on this?

--
Michael Aquilina

Re: Packing Rust Applications

Neal Gompa
On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Michael Aquilina
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for this. Is there anywhere apart from the issue and PR you
> linked to that I could follow progress on this?

The Rust SIG holds meetings somewhat regularly (when there's something
to talk about) on Wednesdays each week. The logs are posted here:
https://docs.pagure.org/fedora-rust.sig/

The Rust SIG content is all hosted at Pagure:
https://pagure.io/group/fedora-rust

Also feel free to join the Fedora Rust SIG mailing list:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/admin/lists/rust.lists.fedoraproject.org/
([hidden email])

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Neal Gompa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Michael Aquilina
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for this. Is there anywhere apart from the issue and PR you
>> linked to that I could follow progress on this?
>>

> The Rust SIG holds meetings somewhat regularly (when there's something
> to talk about) on Wednesdays each week. The logs are posted here:
> https://docs.pagure.org/fedora-rust.sig/
>
> The Rust SIG content is all hosted at Pagure:
> https://pagure.io/group/fedora-rust
>
> Also feel free to join the Fedora Rust SIG mailing list:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/admin/lists/rust.lists.fedoraproject.org/
> ([hidden email])

Ah, and I forgot to mention that there's an IRC channel: #fedora-rust
on Freenode.