Packaging vagrant and its plugins

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi all,

during updating vagrant to 1.9.5 in my branch of Virtualization I
noticed the README.SUSE file stating how to package vagrant plugins
for openSUSE:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization/vagrant/README.SUSE?expand=1

But no matter what I try to put into this file for e.g.
vagrant-libvirt, I get an error from vagrant, when trying to list the
plugins:

####################

# vagrant plugins list
Vagrant failed to initialize at a very early stage:

The plugins failed to initialize correctly. This may be due to manual
modifications made within the Vagrant home directory. Vagrant can
attempt to automatically correct this issue by running:

  vagrant plugin repair

If Vagrant was recently updated, this error may be due to incompatible
versions of dependencies. To fix this problem please remove and re-install
all plugins. Vagrant can attempt to do this automatically by running:

  vagrant plugin expunge --reinstall

Error message given during initialization: Unable to resolve dependency:
user requested '${vagrant-libvirt} (= 0.0.40)'

####################

I tried to find out what Debian puts into its file, but to no avail.

And as openSUSE does not have vagrant plugins packaged yet (?) I am
missing a working example.

Does anyone know how this should work?

Kind Regaards,
Johannes

P.S.: I just superseded my vagrant sr#498927 with sr#503978, as the
dependencies for vagrant in d:l:r:e changed. Maybe someone can have a
look, it has been open for quite a while...

Re: Packaging vagrant and its plugins

Adam Spiers
Johannes Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>during updating vagrant to 1.9.5 in my branch of Virtualization I
>noticed the README.SUSE file stating how to package vagrant plugins
>for openSUSE:
>https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization/vagrant/README.SUSE?expand=1
>
>But no matter what I try to put into this file for e.g.
>vagrant-libvirt, I get an error from vagrant, when trying to list the
>plugins:
>
>####################
>
># vagrant plugins list
>Vagrant failed to initialize at a very early stage:
>
>The plugins failed to initialize correctly. This may be due to manual
>modifications made within the Vagrant home directory. Vagrant can
>attempt to automatically correct this issue by running:
>
>  vagrant plugin repair
>
>If Vagrant was recently updated, this error may be due to incompatible
>versions of dependencies. To fix this problem please remove and re-install
>all plugins. Vagrant can attempt to do this automatically by running:
>
>  vagrant plugin expunge --reinstall
>
>Error message given during initialization: Unable to resolve dependency:
>user requested '${vagrant-libvirt} (= 0.0.40)'
>
>####################
>
>I tried to find out what Debian puts into its file, but to no avail.
>
>And as openSUSE does not have vagrant plugins packaged yet (?) I am
>missing a working example.
>
>Does anyone know how this should work?

Not really, but here is some information which *might* help.  Firstly,
you might find --debug revealing, e.g.

    vagrant --debug plugin list

Secondly, it seems that the way Vagrant handles plugins fundamentally
changed recently:

    https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/4737
    https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/pull/7793

BTW, since this morning, vagrant is available from the Virtualization
repository for 42.2.

Re: Packaging vagrant and its plugins

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi Adam,

On 16.06.17 13:55 Adam Spiers wrote:

> Not really, but here is some information which *might* help.
> Firstly, you might find --debug revealing, e.g.
>
> vagrant --debug plugin list
>
> Secondly, it seems that the way Vagrant handles plugins
> fundamentally changed recently:
>
> https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/4737
> https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/pull/7793
OK, I'll try to have a look. I just took what 1.9.1 had and tried it
with 1.9.5.

> BTW, since this morning, vagrant is available from the
> Virtualization repository for 42.2.

Nice.

Care to take a look at https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/503978?
This is an update to vagrant 1.9.5...