Outdated language Wikis

Thomas Schmidt-8
Hi,
I took the current release as a reason to check the state of our language wikis.
I found out that we have some wikis which are perfectly up-to-date, some
need some work, and some are completely outdated.

If you feel that you can help on one of the outdated wikis, please step up and
help fixing at least the frontpage and the Portal:12.2. The english wiki can be taken
as a reference.

I will also contact the wiki admins of the outdated wikis individually and see if they are still
interested in maintaining their language wiki, because in the end we should drop the unmaintained
wikis.

Thanks for your help :-)

Here is a summary of the wikis:

== Perfect:
http://cs.opensuse.org
http://de.opensuse.org
http://it.opensuse.org
http://hu.opensuse.org
http://ru.opensuse.org
http://zh.opensuse.org
http://zh-tw.opensuse.org

== Partly:
http://fr.opensuse.org/Portal:12.2
   mostly complete 12.2
http://el.opensuse.org
   12.2 links to Factory page
http://es.opensuse.org
   12.2 Portal partially broken
http://nl.opensuse.org
   links to en portal from frontpage
http://pt.opensuse.org
   no link to 12.2 at all
http://sv.opensuse.org
   no link to 12.2 at all
http://tr.opensuse.org
   no link to 12.2
http://ja.opensuse.org
   12.2 not yet linked

== Outdated:
http://is.opensuse.org/
   stuck on 11.2
http://fi.opensuse.org
   nearly no content
http://vi.opensuse.org
   stuck on 11.1, not much content

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)
"Don't Panic", Douglas Adams (11.03.1952 - 11.05.2001)

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Michael Skiba-2
Am Donnerstag, 6. September 2012, 17:07:30 schrieb Thomas Schmidt:

> I will also contact the wiki admins of the outdated wikis individually and
> see if they are still interested in maintaining their language wiki,
> because in the end we should drop the unmaintained wikis.

This might be very slightly OT, but do you know the translation system that
KDE uses for its wikis?[0][1]

I don't know what software they use, but the system itself is highly flexible
and aware of the translation/up-do-date level of the different pages. I think
this system lowers the hurdle for new (wiki) translators to join the effort,
since it clearly shows where work has to be done, it'd also help with a
consistent naming and layout scheme across the languages.

So if this idea hasn't been discuessed in the wiki team already I'd ask you to
look into that matter and evaluate whether this system could be applied to the
openSUSE wiki. I'd like to help aggregate information, if necessary.

Here are some more impressions of the system:
- Translation acitivy (per User/per language) [2]
- Translation status of a language [3]

[0] http://techbase.kde.org/
[1] http://userbase.kde.org/
[2] http://userbase.kde.org/Special:SupportedLanguages
[3]
http://userbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Special%3ALanguageStats&x=D&language=pt-
br&suppresscomplete=1
--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Caig
Hi,
on UserBase/TechBase KDE community uses the Translate extension
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate

Here some recent useful resources to better understand the tool:
a presentation
http://www.neverendingo.de/multiling_wiki/#/start
+ the video:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Making_Multilingual_Wikis_a_Reality_-_Niklas_Laxstr%C3%B6m_and_Claus_Christensen.ogv

source (developer's blog):
http://laxstrom.name/blag/2012/08/16/my-presentations-at-akademy-and-wikimania/

Caig

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Marguerite Su
But current infrastructure makes it possible that someone who don't
speak English at all can "write" wikis instead of "just" translating.

Marguerite

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Marguerite Su
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Carlos E. R.
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> In that case the system would be used to translate to English.

Are you sure about that?

I didn't see any KDE wiki is written in French. or there is but I
misunderstood and thought English is the original version?

If there is, why I get this feeling? because it displays me English first.

I just think current infrastructure make it possible for translators
to selectively translate wiki posts into en.o.o and vise versa.

eg: Japanese Input methods.  Russian Dictionaries.

you come to find a dictionary means you are not good at English, but
the page is at first displayed in a language that exactly the one you
are not good at. how do you feel?

eg: Actually we don't need
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Social_media_launch_plan for every
locale.

but it'll be displayed there.

eg: I write Chinese contents in the userbase like wiki. then it'll
give me the feeling that I do have to translate it into English. or
it'll be surely becomes an orphan or unmaintained page. because no one
except Chinese can translate Chinese to English.

But is that Chinese useful to English people? No. because we'are
talking about Chinese specific thing you don't care at all.

Just a few thoughts.

Marguerite

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Dave Howorth
Caig wrote:

> Hi,
> on UserBase/TechBase KDE community uses the Translate extension
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate
>
> Here some recent useful resources to better understand the tool:
> a presentation
> http://www.neverendingo.de/multiling_wiki/#/start
> + the video:
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Making_Multilingual_Wikis_a_Reality_-_Niklas_Laxstr%C3%B6m_and_Claus_Christensen.ogv
>
> source (developer's blog):
> http://laxstrom.name/blag/2012/08/16/my-presentations-at-akademy-and-wikimania/
>
> Caig

On http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_TechBase:About  it also says:

"It was always the intention that TechBase should be translated into as
many languages as possible. In reality it proved a little difficult to
maintain. In 2010 work began on moving all translations to a new system,
developed by Siebrand Mazeland and Niklas Laxström of Translatewiki.net.
This system allows both professional translation and amateurs with
reasonable language knowledge to adopt pages for translation to their
language. A single page allows a translator to monitor changes that
affect his translated pages. You are invited to help us build a truly
international resource for all users."

So it may be more custom than just a mediawiki extension?

2012/9/7 Marguerite Su <[hidden email]>

> But current infrastructure makes it possible that someone who don't
> speak English at all can "write" wikis instead of "just" translating.
>
> Marguerite

With Translate extension Mediawiki retains all its capabilities, you
can write your pages in your language, for example the pages listed
here:
http://userbase.kde.org/Translation_Workflow#Language-specific_guideline_pages

In that case they are language specific instructions, not translated
in other languages because there isn't a need to do it. They aren't
added to the translation system (no <translate>...text...</translate>
tags) and so the Translate extension just ignores them.

If you want a page to be translated you have to add the <translate>
tags and mark the page for that purpose.

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Caig
2012/9/7 Marguerite Su <[hidden email]>:
> I didn't see any KDE wiki is written in French. or there is but I
> misunderstood and thought English is the original version?

Because the main purpose of KDE wikis is to share the same content
translated in as many languages as possible, so they start from the
English page just because is the easier text source for the
translators.

> If there is, why I get this feeling? because it displays me English first.

Once you opened a page in your language, the links always point to the
translated pages in your language (if available). Sadly in this moment
this feature seems broken :P....

Sorry in advance if I'm not understandable, I try to write as best as I can :)

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Rajko M.
Hi Margerite,

you emails are complex :)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:11:49 +0800
Marguerite Su <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I didn't see any KDE wiki is written in French. or there is but I
> misunderstood and thought English is the original version? If there
> is, why I get this feeling? because it displays me English first.

English is common as a foreign language, so it is not surprise to
direct people to en wiki at first, with options on the main page to
choose another.

> I just think current infrastructure make it possible for translators
> to selectively translate wiki posts into en.o.o and vise versa.
>
> eg: Japanese Input methods.  Russian Dictionaries.

That two examples are typical topics that don't need translation, but
almost all other technical stuff can be translated in any direction,
where any means any language to any language.

eg.
Original http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander was written in
German, now available only on old German wiki
http://old-de.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander .

During translation I decided to add some stuff now on:
http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips
so it is not strictly translation, but I achieved main goal, to have
article about Midnight Commander in another language, and secondary
improved original content with few tips.

In general translations are done to allow people with limited, or
without, language skills to participate in openSUSE.

With many applications translated to many local languages, they are
accessible to people without English skills. This makes possible that a
digital artist can write about using GIMP to achieve certain effects in
his native language, and then with translations that can be made
available to other.

--
Rajko.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Rajko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> English is common as a foreign language, so it is not surprise to
> direct people to en wiki at first, with options on the main page to
> choose another.

Yes, but now we've already had an en wiki can do that( through
inter-wiki links, its the same effects as you said, "with options"),
and locale wikis for those who doesn't speak English at all to feel at
home. It seems to be the standard way since wikipedia does so.

This topic has been discussed several days, so I almost forget its
original purpose, but as I think, it is to use KDE wiki technology to
replace our current one.

But that will remove the current feature that you have the choice to
view English or not without having to click here and there.
Technically, we can create a page that like zh.opensuse.org/SDB:添加软件源
which can be searched using Chinese instead of English. which is much
more user friendly. The KDE way aims to be user friendly, but that
user experience has to be achieved only in the un-friendly way.

> That two examples are typical topics that don't need translation, but
> almost all other technical stuff can be translated in any direction,
> where any means any language to any language.

Yes, but that actually is the l10n/i18n means, to give locale users
space to talk/fit their specific needs. Translation doesn't mean
internationalization.

Actually if you have to discuss Chinese on a English forum, most of
the people have only one choice, go away. because that requires you at
least know the meaning of basic English words like "register",
"login", "accept", "email address", "password". Many Chinese in Jim's
age(Jim is our forums' global moderator) don't know any single English
words except "ok" and "no" which was taught during Beijing Olympics.

If we are setting up a new wiki or someone said our server is not
overwhelmed thus locale wikis have to sacrifice, I'll be okay about
that. But I can't be okay about just "change" for "change" because
current one is better then the option they provide.

Marguerite

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Rajko M.
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:28:19 +0800
Marguerite Su <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Rajko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > English is common as a foreign language, so it is not surprise to
> > direct people to en wiki at first, with options on the main page to
> > choose another.
>
> Yes, but now we've already had an en wiki can do that( through
> inter-wiki links, its the same effects as you said, "with options"),
> and locale wikis for those who doesn't speak English at all to feel at
> home. It seems to be the standard way since wikipedia does so.

Wikipedia has its own needs, drawbacks and advantages, so we can't
just copy their example:

* They have many editors that perform maintenance.
- We don't.

* They have to keep compatibility with solutions that are developed for
  MediaWiki software with much lesser functionality then it is today,
  as changes can be extremely labor intensive.
- We have to keep links alive, even as redirects, to satisfy third
  party web sites, links in paper documents, and lower maintenance of
  our infrastructure, other than that we can change almost anything,
  specially if that will mean easier contribution, translation and
  maintenance.

> This topic has been discussed several days, so I almost forget its
> original purpose, but as I think, it is to use KDE wiki technology to
> replace our current one.

Originally thread was started as a status reminder of our translations,
when Michael mentioned KDE translation system as the way to improve
translations.

> But that will remove the current feature that you have the choice to
> view English or not without having to click here and there.

Separate servers have their advantages:
* Separate default search, so users don't have to fiddle much looking
  for proper search, like in:
  http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Support
* Separate search has disadvantage too, because the only common
  search for the whole opensuse.org domain is some web search, like
  Google. Try search on http://opensuse.org, then Google
  "site:opensuse.org" and then "site:en.opensuse.org". I used as a
  search term "apper" and I got quite different results.

* Separate content organization, so that is better aligned with local
  expectations. This part should not go too far from main wiki, in this
  case English, but there is more flexibility in the process.

Disadvantage is that people don't know what is happening outside their
wiki. It is splitting community, even those that speak multiple
languages will be kept away.

> ... The KDE way aims to be user friendly, but that user experience
> has to be achieved only in the un-friendly way.

KDE way needs some tuning.
Language index:
It is the same for all translations, but it is in English.
Wikipedia and openSUSE use translated language names, which is better,
as visitors that don't know any languages, will find their own in the
list, without knowing word of English.

The page layout is sometimes a bit problematic:
http://userbase.kde.org/Special:SupportedLanguages
Font sizes, colors don't help reading.

> Actually if you have to discuss Chinese on a English forum, most of
> the people have only one choice, go away. because that requires you at
> least know the meaning of basic English words like "register",
> "login", "accept", "email address", "password".

Right.
I added above to the thread
[opensuse-project] Bugzilla requirements gathering exercise

> ... But I can't be okay about just "change" for "change" because
> current one is better then the option they provide.

We'll see if we can get one public server to test extension and gather
experience. I went once trough wiki change and this time we will test
well and see how it works for us.

It is necessary to say that translation extension can be used to
translate other stuff, like strings used in software, so even if it
fails to be like userbase KDE wiki, it is not wasted effort.
https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:Translate

Matt, what do you think about technical viability?

--
Regards, Rajko.

Re: [opensuse-translation] Outdated language Wikis

Efstathios Iosifidis

Greek page is translated but I canot accept the changes. I don't have
rights, although I'm translation coordinator. Is it possible the
admins (I sent them mail) to help me on that.

Stathis

On 10.09.2012 12:55, Efstathios Iosifidis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Greek page is translated but I canot accept the changes. I don't have
> rights, although I'm translation coordinator. Is it possible the
> admins (I sent them mail) to help me on that.

The admins of the greek wiki are:

http://el.opensuse.org/%CE%A7%CF%81%CE%AE%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82:Azouts
http://el.opensuse.org/%CE%A7%CF%81%CE%AE%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82:Diamond_gr
http://el.opensuse.org/%CE%A7%CF%81%CE%AE%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82:Etern4L
http://el.opensuse.org/%CE%A7%CF%81%CE%AE%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82:Warlordfff

Please contact them to check if they are still active in the greek wiki.

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)
"Don't Panic", Douglas Adams (11.03.1952 - 11.05.2001)

Re: Outdated language Wikis

Bugzilla from dark.orion@gmail.com
2012/9/6 Thomas Schmidt <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I took the current release as a reason to check the state of our language
> wikis.
> I found out that we have some wikis which are perfectly up-to-date, some
> need some work, and some are completely outdated.
>
> If you feel that you can help on one of the outdated wikis, please step up
> and
> help fixing at least the frontpage and the Portal:12.2. The english wiki can
> be taken
> as a reference.
>
> I will also contact the wiki admins of the outdated wikis individually and
> see if they are still
> interested in maintaining their language wiki, because in the end we should
> drop the unmaintained
> wikis.
>
> Thanks for your help :-)
>
> Here is a summary of the wikis:
>
> == Perfect:
> http://cs.opensuse.org
> http://de.opensuse.org
> http://it.opensuse.org
> http://hu.opensuse.org
> http://ru.opensuse.org
> http://zh.opensuse.org
> http://zh-tw.opensuse.org
>
> == Partly:
> http://fr.opensuse.org/Portal:12.2
>   mostly complete 12.2
> http://el.opensuse.org
>   12.2 links to Factory page
> http://es.opensuse.org
>   12.2 Portal partially broken
> http://nl.opensuse.org
>   links to en portal from frontpage
> http://pt.opensuse.org
>   no link to 12.2 at all
> http://sv.opensuse.org
>   no link to 12.2 at all
> http://tr.opensuse.org
>   no link to 12.2
> http://ja.opensuse.org
>   12.2 not yet linked
>
> == Outdated:
> http://is.opensuse.org/
>   stuck on 11.2
> http://fi.opensuse.org
>   nearly no content
> http://vi.opensuse.org
>   stuck on 11.1, not much content
>
> Greetings
>
> --
> Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)
> "Don't Panic", Douglas Adams (11.03.1952 - 11.05.2001)

I think the links in the Spanish wiki are already fixed (I updated the
outdated download and portal links).

Greetings, David