Origami and Geeko themes

Stasiek
Hi,

I have been working on openSUSE branding for the past few months, and in
the process, I have found there was something missing. I booted my trusty
old 11.3 DVD with GNOME on top and it hit me. GNOME had an awesome green
theme, so green it basically leaked out from both sides of the window,
and I knew what I had to do.

I downloaded Arc (it has a really nice layout) and made a quick script to
get all the colours out of it and started comparing it to the theme, a
few nights passed and I had it done. I took some hints from the
community, on Discord and on Reddit to see what's up with that, and
feedback was generally positive. Modified the CSS a little because some
things like fonts needed attention, the top bar on GNOME didn't have
dynamic transparency, which is a great feature used too rarely. I also
made sure it looked nice on XFCE, which I truly love. Thus, Geeko was
born, for GTK based DEs with my love to openSUSE.

https://github.com/LelCP/geeko-gtk-theme
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/X11:common:Factory/geeko-gtk-theme

Then came a realization. Icons are as an important part of the theme as
everything else -- that needed attention too. I really liked some older
icons still preserved in Papirus-KDE hanging in OBS since 2016, from
which was adopted some of those with the rest of icons from newer
versions of Papirus and the Origami icon theme was born too, for KDE and
GTK-based DEs with the same love. With __full__ support for YaST
(although keep in mind that YaST doesn't support SVG icons so those has
to be png first).

https://github.com/LelCP/origami-icon-theme
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/X11:common:Factory/origami-icon-theme

Both projects can coexist in a way which is beneficial to both of these
base projects and vice versa. Most tweaks to Arc will work on Geeko and
most tweaks to Geeko will work on Arc, the same with Origami and Papirus.
In case of momentous messes such as new versions of GTK that will most
likely break everything, whichever project manages to fix issues first
can be used as a patch to another one without a problem, which usually
happens between stable versions like 3.25 and 3.27, never landing on
Tumbleweed, so it can be fixed beforehand (as such the only thing I
can give KDE credit for in the case of theming, is it doesn't break so
much as GTK).

Now is a great time to finally get them in Factory. My goals, of course,
would be to make them the default themes on both Leap 15 and Tumbleweed,
but considering the nature of, especially Tumbleweed, that might be hard
to achieve. I think at least giving people the option to switch themes
right from the get-go would be nice. Adwaita and XFCE themes are not
cutting it for me, as well for a lot of people, as the theming community
showed us already with how popular some themes are.

Quoting Richard:
"Makes me want to run XFCE for the looks... which is not something I've
said since like 2001"
(It was most likely about the new splash screen, not exactly this but
whatever)

​LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
El 2018-01-17 15:13, Stasiek escribió:
> Hi,
>
> [...]

Supercool stuff.

> Now is a great time to finally get them in Factory. My goals, of
> course,
> would be to make them the default themes on both Leap 15 and
> Tumbleweed,

I would say you should then raise awareness about this in the
opensuse-artwork mailing list, were, in theory, such stuff is decided.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/

Congratulations for a great work!

Cheers.

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Stasiek
>>Now is a great time to finally get them in Factory. My goals, of
>> course,
>> would be to make them the default themes on both Leap 15 and
>> Tumbleweed,
>>

> I would say you should then raise awareness about this in the
> opensuse-artwork mailing list, were, in theory, such stuff is decided.
>https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/

I did do that
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/2017-12/msg00000.html
And then it was radio silence from anyone but Ludwig. I would say that I would post to opensuse-project, but first I think getting package into Factory is more important for wider testing and feedback ;)

> Congratulations for a great work!

Thanks :D

​LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
El 2018-01-17 15:50, Stasiek escribió:

>>> Now is a great time to finally get them in Factory. My goals, of
>>> course,
>>> would be to make them the default themes on both Leap 15 and
>>> Tumbleweed,
>>>

>> I would say you should then raise awareness about this in the
>> opensuse-artwork mailing list, were, in theory, such stuff is decided.
>> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/
>
> I did do that
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/2017-12/msg00000.html
> And then it was radio silence from anyone but Ludwig. I would say that
> I would post to opensuse-project, but first I think getting package
> into Factory is more important for wider testing and feedback ;)

Oh sorry. The "search page" string in the title fooled me.

Cheers.

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Konstantin Voinov
It is very nice theme.

On 2018-01-18 00:13, Stasiek wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Then came a realization. Icons are as an important part of the theme as
> everything else -- that needed attention too. I really liked some older
> icons still preserved in Papirus-KDE hanging in OBS since 2016, from
> which was adopted some of those with the rest of icons from newer
> versions of Papirus and the Origami icon theme was born too, for KDE
> and
> GTK-based DEs with the same love. With __full__ support for YaST
> (although keep in mind that YaST doesn't support SVG icons so those has
> to be png first).

You mean that repo
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home%3Akill_it/papirus-icon-theme-kde
?
I knew that I had to keep them there:)

> ... (as such the only thing I
> can give KDE credit for in the case of theming, is it doesn't break so
> much as GTK).

BTW it means, that no chances for Qt style?

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Stasiek
Hi,

> It is very nice theme.

Thank you :D

>>Then came a realization. Icons are as an important part of the theme as
>> everything else -- that needed attention too. I really liked some older
>> icons still preserved in Papirus-KDE hanging in OBS since 2016, from
>> which was adopted some of those with the rest of icons from newer
>> versions of Papirus and the Origami icon theme was born too, for KDE
>> and
>> GTK-based DEs with the same love. With full support for YaST
>> (although keep in mind that YaST doesn't support SVG icons so those has
>> to be png first).
>>
> You mean that repo
>https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home%3Akill_it/papirus-icon-theme-kde
> ?
> I knew that I had to keep them there:)

Yes, I did use that, unfortunately Papirus Team removed this repo some
time ago now so this was excellent place to grab backup ;)

>>... (as such the only thing I
>> can give KDE credit for in the case of theming, is it doesn't break so
>> much as GTK).
>>

> BTW it means, that no chances for Qt style?

Of course there is a chance, why wouldn't there be?
https://github.com/LelCP/geeko-kde-theme
(I made that repo 3 minutes ago, it's almost empty I know)

Problem is, considering how much of my work is Gnome-critical (mainly
because of sub-par support for graphics tablets on KDE), I have to spend
a lot of time there instead.

I do care about KDE, but I don't really use it or understand it so I'm
looking at it from really GNOME kind of perspective, which is why I
encourage taking part in development of this as much as I can.

​LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Simon Lees-3

These look great, I should apologize I read the artwork email sometime
over my christmas break but didn't get to a reply.

One thing to maybe consider is the Navy blue on the wallpaper clashes a
bit with the gray, maybe if the wallpaper had a gray background instead
of a blue one or if the gray parts had a tinge of blue.

Maybe something like this would work better as a wallpaper, I didn't
have your exact theme so I took a quick guess on the gray. Also the link
will expire in 6 days https://paste.opensuse.org/23514276

I look forward to working on something based off this idea for enlightenment

Cheers

Simon

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Stasiek
Hi,

> One thing to maybe consider is the Navy blue on the wallpaper clashes a
> bit with the gray, maybe if the wallpaper had a gray background instead
> of a blue one or if the gray parts had a tinge of blue.
>
> Maybe something like this would work better as a wallpaper, I didn't
> have your exact theme so I took a quick guess on the gray. Also the link
> will expire in 6 days https://paste.opensuse.org/23514276

Considering I have to get it to work on both green and blue backgrounds,
as Leap and Tumbleweed already have different colours for wallpapers:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openSUSE/branding/leap-15/raw-theme-drop/desktop-1280x1024.jpg
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openSUSE/branding/tumbleweed/raw-theme-drop/desktop-1280x1024.jpg
and that wallpapers are not my job in that case ;)

Grey being slightly off on navy blue is not something that I missed, I
experimented a lot with both variants and different wallapapers and that
one was the least clashing in that case. Just as an example, look at very
similar color scheme, solarized. It uses lighter background tones for
content, and isn't compatible with anything but itself, so Leap would
have to be much more similar to Tumbleweed, and theme would hardly work
with anything but default wallpapers.

> I look forward to working on something based off this idea for enlightenment

Oh, sounds amazing, can't wait to see it :D

​LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world

Re: Origami and Geeko themes

Simon Lees-3

On 18/01/18 21:55, Stasiek wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> One thing to maybe consider is the Navy blue on the wallpaper clashes a
>> bit with the gray, maybe if the wallpaper had a gray background instead
>> of a blue one or if the gray parts had a tinge of blue.
>>
>> Maybe something like this would work better as a wallpaper, I didn't
>> have your exact theme so I took a quick guess on the gray. Also the link
>> will expire in 6 days https://paste.opensuse.org/23514276
>
> Considering I have to get it to work on both green and blue backgrounds,
> as Leap and Tumbleweed already have different colours for wallpapers:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openSUSE/branding/leap-15/raw-theme-drop/desktop-1280x1024.jpg
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openSUSE/branding/tumbleweed/raw-theme-drop/desktop-1280x1024.jpg
> and that wallpapers are not my job in that case ;)

Ahh that makes life slightly harder then :-)