Only one package from OBS to download.opensuse.org

Only one package from OBS to download.opensuse.org

aleksander.baranowski
Hello everyone,

Background: Lots of good projects are using OBS in order to provide
packages. Example that is connected to this little story is Fish aka
Fish shell.

Problem: After new build some of developer in company I'm working for
updated their Fish. Unfortunately some of devs used old python
virtualenv it turned out that old virtualenv activate.fish is
incompatible with new Fish version. I made workaround for devs, then
start to tackle down the problem. The thing that hit me the most is that
I'm unable to downgrade fish to previous version. It's one of most
obvious step when there is problem with new package version.

OBS Problem:
It finally turned out that OBS is overwriting builds of Fish. My
question is it's only behaviour that OBS is supporting? Is there any
possibility of keeping more than one package version in same repository?
As a rule of thumb - there should be at least 3 package version.

My Problem:
As long as using naked OBS -> download.opensuse.com there is chance,
that in case of not working release I won't be able to simply get back
to previous package/state.

Workaround 1:
Simple script will be able to download desired repositories and make
redundant copy of packages. It's not convenient for me, because asking
everyone in company if one is using something from OBS will be
sluggish/boring and in future won't be doable.

Workaround 2:
Kindly asking you if it's possible :). I understand that keeping more
packages require significantly more space and it might not be
implemented in that way, so answer that it's currently impossible is
also OK :).

Bests,
Alex

Re: Only one package from OBS to download.opensuse.org

Andreas Stieger-2
Hello,

On 06/06/2017 06:00 PM, aleksander.baranowski wrote:
> The thing that hit me the most is that
> I'm unable to downgrade fish to previous version. It's one of most
> obvious step when there is problem with new package version.
>
> OBS Problem:
> It finally turned out that OBS is overwriting builds of Fish. My
> question is it's only behaviour that OBS is supporting? Is there any
> possibility of keeping more than one package version in same repository?
> As a rule of thumb - there should be at least 3 package version.

See
http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.maintenance_setup.html

Andreas

--
Andreas Stieger <[hidden email]>
Project Manager Security

Re: Only one package from OBS to download.opensuse.org

Adrian Schröter
On Dienstag, 6. Juni 2017, 18:04:35 CEST wrote Andreas Stieger:

> Hello,
>

> On 06/06/2017 06:00 PM, aleksander.baranowski wrote:
> > The thing that hit me the most is that
> > I'm unable to downgrade fish to previous version. It's one of most
> > obvious step when there is problem with new package version.
> >
> > OBS Problem:
> > It finally turned out that OBS is overwriting builds of Fish. My
> > question is it's only behaviour that OBS is supporting? Is there any
> > possibility of keeping more than one package version in same repository?
> > As a rule of thumb - there should be at least 3 package version.
>
> See
> http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.maintenance_setup.html

Yes, but you can also create just a second package container in your
project to get both builds. I suppose this is anyway just for
one package needed in your situation?

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: Only one package from OBS to download.opensuse.org

Christian
Am 07.06.2017 um 08:36 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
>> See
>> http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.maintenance_setup.html
> Yes, but you can also create just a second package container in your
> project to get both builds. I suppose this is anyway just for
> one package needed in your situation?

If Adrian is right you can have a look in server:proxy project and see
how I added several, different 'squid' versions ...

Cheers

--

Christian
   https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=177038