On kmod-compat replacing m-i-t

Jan Engelhardt-4
Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4? Can it be replaced by modutils,
or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?

Re: On kmod-compat replacing m-i-t

Cristian Rodríguez-2
El 16/06/13 16:06, Jan Engelhardt escribió:
> Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
> module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
> express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
> What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4? Can it be replaced by modutils,
> or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
> module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?

I already complained about this in opensuse-kernel, the crickets where
not helpful.

I was about to ramble about it again yesterday when I hit it once again,
thanks for bringing it up ;-D

On 06/16/2013 04:06 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
> module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
> express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
> What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4? Can it be replaced by modutils,
> or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
> module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?

I think we should just drop module-init-tools and add those provides to
kmod compat as it does not seem the kernel packages will ever be fixed.

On 08/03/2013 01:00 AM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

> On 06/16/2013 04:06 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
>> module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
>> express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
>> What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4? Can it be replaced by modutils,
>> or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
>> module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?
>>
> I think we should just drop module-init-tools and add those provides to
> kmod compat as it does not seem the kernel packages will ever be fixed.

I just did SR #185700 for kmod

drop Request 185701 for module-init-tools

Re: On kmod-compat replacing m-i-t

Jeff Mahoney
On 6/16/13 4:06 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
> module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
> express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
> What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4? Can it be replaced by modutils,
> or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
> module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?

For kernel packaging things, you really need to get ahold of Michal
Marek (now CC'd). That's his baby.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney
SUSE Labs

Re: On kmod-compat replacing m-i-t

Michal Marek-2
On 4.8.2013 01:25, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
> On 6/16/13 4:06 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
>> module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
>> express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
>> What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4?

The dependency is documented in the spec file:

# Need a module-init-tools with /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules2
Requires(post): module-init-tools >= 3.4

>> Can it be replaced by modutils,
>> or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
>> module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?

I changed it to
# For /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules2
Requires(post): suse-module-tools
# For depmod (modutils is a dependency provided by both
module-init-tools and
# kmod-compat)
Requires(post): modutils

That should work, shouldn't it?

> For kernel packaging things, you really need to get ahold of Michal
> Marek (now CC'd). That's his baby.

Thanks for adding me.

Michal

On Monday 2013-08-05 14:31, Michal Marek wrote:

>The dependency is documented in the spec file:
>
># Need a module-init-tools with /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules2
>Requires(post): module-init-tools >= 3.4
>
>>> Can it be replaced by modutils, or do we need to add some virtual
>>> Provides: mitmagic34 to both module-init-tools.spec and
>>> kmod-compat.spec?
>
>I changed it to
># For /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules2
>Requires(post): suse-module-tools
># For depmod (modutils is a dependency provided by both
>module-init-tools and
># kmod-compat)
>Requires(post): modutils
>
>That should work, shouldn't it?

It should, yes.

El 05/08/13 08:31, Michal Marek escribió:

> On 4.8.2013 01:25, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
>> On 6/16/13 4:06 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>> Currently, the only package that still blocks the removal of
>>> module-init-tools from a system is the kernel rpm package, with an
>>> express dependency "module-init-tools >= 3.4".
>>> What is so particular about m-i-t 3.4?
>
> The dependency is documented in the spec file:
>
> # Need a module-init-tools with /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules2
> Requires(post): module-init-tools >= 3.4
>
>>> Can it be replaced by modutils,
>>> or do we need to add some virtual Provides: mitmagic34 to both
>>> module-init-tools.spec and kmod-compat.spec?
>
> I changed it to
> # For /usr/lib/module-init-tools/weak-modules2
> Requires(post): suse-module-tools
> # For depmod (modutils is a dependency provided by both
> module-init-tools and
> # kmod-compat)
> Requires(post): modutils
>
> That should work, shouldn't it?

Yes, unfortunately mkinitrd does not work well when you replace
module-init-tools with kmod-compat,

while building the initrd libkmod says:

libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6
depmod: WARNING: could not open
/dev/shm/.rHyfkZ/mnt/lib/modules/3.11.0-rc4666-desktop-02341-gc7b1077/modules.order:
No such file or directory

dracut works just fine though.

Re: On kmod-compat replacing m-i-t

Michal Marek
On 7.8.2013 23:32, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately mkinitrd does not work well when you replace
> module-init-tools with kmod-compat,
>
> while building the initrd libkmod says:
>
> libkmod: conf_files_list: unsupported file mode /dev/null: 0x21b6

What's wrong with modprobe -C /dev/null? That's a libkmod
bug/misfeature, I'd say.

> depmod: WARNING: could not open
> /dev/shm/.rHyfkZ/mnt/lib/modules/3.11.0-rc4666-desktop-02341-gc7b1077/modules.order:
> No such file or directory

Fixed with http://gitorious.org/opensuse/mkinitrd/commit/1817b89.

Michal