Okular lost option to define/use bookmarks in save/save as?

Okular lost option to define/use bookmarks in save/save as?

Mark Goldstein
Okular v1.0.0 on latest tumbleweed.

Previous versions had an option to enable bookmarks menu in SAVE/SAVE
AS toolbar, so you could add bookmarks to frequently used directories
and choose them quickly.

I can't find this option on Ocular 1.1.0 (I'm pretty sure it existed in v0.26).

Someone sees this problem or am I missing something?

Mark Goldstein

Re: Okular lost option to define/use bookmarks in save/save as?

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Samstag, 7. Jänner 2017, 13:59:40 CET schrieb Mark Goldstein:
> Previous versions had an option to enable bookmarks menu in SAVE/SAVE
> AS toolbar, so you could add bookmarks to frequently used directories
> and choose them quickly.

What exactly does "SAVE/SAVE AS toolbar" mean?
Is this about the file save dialog?

Okular has been ported to KDE Frameworks5 and uses KF5's file dialog now (not
KDE4's). But the two should be equivalent.

I do have the "Places" pane on the left here where one can add bookmarks.
It's also possible to have a "Bookmarks" button in the tool bar.

Both things can be enabled/disabled though, click on the settings button in
the top right of the dialog (normally the last one in the toolbar).

If you actually mean something else, please try to explain the problem in more
detail.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Wolfgang Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What exactly does "SAVE/SAVE AS toolbar" mean?
> Is this about the file save dialog?
>
> Okular has been ported to KDE Frameworks5 and uses KF5's file dialog now (not
> KDE4's). But the two should be equivalent.
>
> I do have the "Places" pane on the left here where one can add bookmarks.
> It's also possible to have a "Bookmarks" button in the tool bar.

Thanks for your response, Wolfgang.

You understood my question correctly. It might be that my problem is
that I'm using KDE3. So probably latest version is not compatible with
KDE3. I can't see "Places" or "Setting" buttons. Previous version
worked OK.
So probably the key is "uses KF5 file dialog". I did not install
plasma 5, but rather xfce and then KDE3.
From the other side I have other KDE5 applications (e.g. digikam) that
work correctly.

That's a pity, but I understand that with KDE3 I'm on my own :-(

Thanks again,

Am Samstag, 7. Jänner 2017, 20:57:14 CET schrieb Mark Goldstein:
> You understood my question correctly. It might be that my problem is
> that I'm using KDE3. So probably latest version is not compatible with
> KDE3. I can't see "Places" or "Setting" buttons.

Sounds like Qt5 is using its own file dialog, instead of KDE's.

As I do have KDE3 installed here too (though I haven't used it since 8 years
or so) I just gave it a try, and the latest okular did use the KDE file dialog
here.
So it definitely is "compatible with KDE3". i.e. KDE3 is detected as KDE
session by Qt5.

I'm on 13.2 (not Tumbleweed), but that shouldn't make a difference in this
regard (I do have the latest Qt5 and KDE packages installed).

> Previous version
> worked OK.

As I wrote, previous okular versions were KDE4 and Qt4 based.

Qt5 tries to adapt itself to the desktop in use even more so than Qt4 did.
It does so by detecting the desktop in use and then loading an appropriate
plugin.
KDE's plugin "tells" Qt5 to use KDE's file dialog instead of its own (amongst
other things).

Apparently you don't have that plugin.
Try to install the package "plasma5-integration-plugin".

Note that the package is mainly called like that because it is provided by
(and released with) Plasma5, it doesn't require you to actually install
Plasma5 (nor pulls it in) and is used in any "KDE" session.

> So probably the key is "uses KF5 file dialog". I did not install
> plasma 5, but rather xfce and then KDE3.

That would explain why that plugin is not installed. It is required by
plasma5-workspace (so that Qt5 and KF5 applications are integrated in a
Plasma5 desktop), but neither by xfce (of course, it makes no sense there) nor
KDE3.

As this plugin is only used in a KDE session anyway, it doesn't really make
sense to install it without a KDE desktop. So it is not pulled in by KDE
applications either.

> From the other side I have other KDE5 applications (e.g. digikam) that
> work correctly.

That's strange though, I would expect digikam to use Qt's file dialog as well
then (instead of KDE's). And that's what it does here if I uninstall plasma5-
integration-plugin according to what I tried just now.

OTOH, there is not much use of file dialogs in digikam normally, is there?
(I'm not really using it myself)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Wolfgang Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 7. Jänner 2017, 20:57:14 CET schrieb Mark Goldstein:

Wolfgang, thanks a lot for explanations.

> Sounds like Qt5 is using its own file dialog, instead of KDE's.
>
> As I do have KDE3 installed here too (though I haven't used it since 8 years
> or so) I just gave it a try, and the latest okular did use the KDE file dialog
> here.
> So it definitely is "compatible with KDE3". i.e. KDE3 is detected as KDE
> session by Qt5.
> Qt5 tries to adapt itself to the desktop in use even more so than Qt4 did.
> It does so by detecting the desktop in use and then loading an appropriate
> plugin.
> KDE's plugin "tells" Qt5 to use KDE's file dialog instead of its own (amongst
> other things).
>
> Apparently you don't have that plugin.
> Try to install the package "plasma5-integration-plugin".

You are absolutely right, installing plasma5-integration-plugin
resolved the issue.

>> From the other side I have other KDE5 applications (e.g. digikam) that
>> work correctly.
>
> That's strange though, I would expect digikam to use Qt's file dialog as well
> then (instead of KDE's). And that's what it does here if I uninstall plasma5-
> integration-plugin according to what I tried just now.
>
> OTOH, there is not much use of file dialogs in digikam normally, is there?
> (I'm not really using it myself)

You are probably right here again, I've just briefly tried digicam and
probably have not used save/save as yet.

Thanks again & regards.
--
Mark Goldstein