OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Linux Kamarada
Hi everyone!

First of all, congratulations to the OBS team, the SUSE Studio team,
the KIWI team and any other teams involved in doing Studio Express.
Keep up the good work! The only thing I'm really missing is testdrive,
but considering that now we can use all the KIWI power on OBS,
downloading the built image and testing locally on VirtualBox is just
a little price worth paying! As a matter of fact, the heavy work is
done on the cloud by SUSE servers free of charge...

I'm trying to build a LiveDVD as close as possible from a clean
openSUSE install on disk. That should be enough for it:

config.kiwi (https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:livesuse:dev/LiveSUSE-Leap-KDE/config.kiwi)

  <packages type="image" patternType="plusRecommended">
    <!-- Clean openSUSE Leap 42.3 install with KDE Desktop -->
    <!-- http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.2/repo/oss/control.xml
-->
    <package name="patterns-openSUSE-base" />
    <package name="patterns-openSUSE-x11" />
    <package name="patterns-openSUSE-kde" />
    <package name="sddm" />
    <package name="branding-openSUSE"/>

(observe the plusRecommended setting)

(actually, some more packages are needed, but that is the idea, anyone
interested can follow the link to the complete file)

OBS succeeds. The image is built. I download it. Test it on
VirtualBox. Then I realize it does not have K3b. I install K3b using
zypper. Works like a charm.

On purpose, I add the k3b package to the package list in config.kiwi:

    <package name="k3b" />

Then OBS starts building the image again, but fails. The build log shows:

[  143s] Resolving package dependencies...
[  143s]
[  143s] Problem: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by
k3b-17.04.2-4.1.x86_64
[  143s]  Solution 1: do not install k3b-17.04.2-4.1.x86_64
[  143s]  Solution 2: break k3b-17.04.2-4.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of
its dependencies
[  143s]
[  143s] Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): c

https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:livesuse:dev/LiveSUSE-Leap-KDE/images/x86_64

I do not understand, because the OSS repo has both k3b and cdrdao.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Thank you very much!

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project
http://kamarada.github.io/

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Stefan Seyfried
On 16.11.2017 01:59, Linux Kamarada wrote:

> OBS succeeds. The image is built. I download it. Test it on
> VirtualBox. Then I realize it does not have K3b. I install K3b using
> zypper. Works like a charm.
>
> On purpose, I add the k3b package to the package list in config.kiwi:
>
>     <package name="k3b" />
>
> Then OBS starts building the image again, but fails. The build log shows:
>
> [  143s] Resolving package dependencies...
> [  143s]
> [  143s] Problem: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by
> k3b-17.04.2-4.1.x86_64
> [  143s]  Solution 1: do not install k3b-17.04.2-4.1.x86_64
> [  143s]  Solution 2: break k3b-17.04.2-4.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of
> its dependencies
> [  143s]
> [  143s] Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): c
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:livesuse:dev/LiveSUSE-Leap-KDE/images/x86_64
>
> I do not understand, because the OSS repo has both k3b and cdrdao.
>
> Any ideas on what is going wrong?

OBS config issue AFAICT. OBS does not know what provides /usr/bin/cdradao.
Try explicitly adding the cdrdao package to the kiwi file.

Or edit prjconf and add
FileProvides: /usr/bin/cdrdao cdrdao
--
Stefan Seyfried

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Linux Kamarada
> OBS config issue AFAICT. OBS does not know what provides /usr/bin/cdradao.
> Try explicitly adding the cdrdao package to the kiwi file.
>
> Or edit prjconf and add
> FileProvides: /usr/bin/cdrdao cdrdao
> --
> Stefan Seyfried

Thank you! It worked! It was enough to add the cdrdao package to the
config.kiwi file.

Just for the sake of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier if the k3b
package depended on the cdrdao package, instead of "provides
/usr/bin/cdrdao"?

I searched using YaST / Software Management and the cdrdao package is
the only one providing /usr/bin/cdrdao

Though, there are three providing cdrdao: cdrdao itself, brasero and
cdemu-client.

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project
http://kamarada.github.io/

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Joerg Schilling-3
Linux Kamarada <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > OBS config issue AFAICT. OBS does not know what provides /usr/bin/cdradao.
> > Try explicitly adding the cdrdao package to the kiwi file.
> >
> > Or edit prjconf and add
> > FileProvides: /usr/bin/cdrdao cdrdao
> > --
> > Stefan Seyfried
>
> Thank you! It worked! It was enough to add the cdrdao package to the
> config.kiwi file.
>
> Just for the sake of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier if the k3b
> package depended on the cdrdao package, instead of "provides
> /usr/bin/cdrdao"?

Mmmm this is strange. k3b should work fine with cdrtools.

It may be of interest that cdrdao is dead since many years and gives less
features than cdrtools.

Jörg

--
 EMail:[hidden email]                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    [hidden email] (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2017, 11:22:45 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
> Mmmm this is strange. k3b should work fine with cdrtools.

Yes.
But it will give an error message on startup if cdrdao is not found.

I don't know if (or in what circumstances) it will actually use/need cdrdao
though.
(maybe if wodim/cdrkit is installed instead of cdrtools, or maybe with some
specific settings, I suppose)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2017, 11:22:45 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
> > Mmmm this is strange. k3b should work fine with cdrtools.
>
> Yes.
> But it will give an error message on startup if cdrdao is not found.
>
> I don't know if (or in what circumstances) it will actually use/need cdrdao
> though.
> (maybe if wodim/cdrkit is installed instead of cdrtools, or maybe with some
> specific settings, I suppose)

If wodim/cdrkit is installed, it may really be that k3b asks for cdrdao.

But why should this be present on a recent Suse? It has been deprecated long
ago.

Jörg

Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2017, 12:46:03 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
> But why should this be present on a recent Suse? It has been deprecated long
> ago.

It is still included in the distribution, as well as cdrecord/cdrtools.

But even if not, k3b would still complain about a missing cdrdao on startup if
that is not installed.
A simple data CD burn (with cdrecord installed) seems to work despite that
though (and apparently doesn't use cdrdao either if it is installed).

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Em Qua, 2017-11-29 às 13:33 +0100, Wolfgang Bauer escreveu:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2017, 12:46:03 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
> >
> > But why should this be present on a recent Suse? It has been deprecated long
> > ago.
>
> It is still included in the distribution, as well as cdrecord/cdrtools.
>
> But even if not, k3b would still complain about a missing cdrdao on startup
> if
> that is not installed.
> A simple data CD burn (with cdrecord installed) seems to work despite that
> though (and apparently doesn't use cdrdao either if it is installed).
>
> Kind Regards,

I can confirm a clean openSUSE Leap 42.3 install with KDE/Plasma Desktop
has cdrdao, cdrkit-cdrtools-compat, k3b and wodim packages installed.

From software.opensuse.org:

cdrkit-cdrtools-compat

Tool for Writing CDRs - cdrtools Compatibility Package

This package contains these compatibility symlinks:
cdrecord -> wodim
mkisofs -> genisoimage
cdda2wav -> icedax
Install this package if you can't use the cdrkit programs directly.

I don't know much (okay, honestly: I know nothing) about command line utilities,
libraries or backends to burn optical media, I just use K3b when I need it...
but based on what you say, can I conclude that openSUSE is taking the wrong way
regarding cdrdao, cdrtools, wodim, cdrkit, cdrecord, you know... the whole
burning thing? =/

Googling for "cdrdao deprecated" I found this:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/mi
gration_planning_guide/sect-red_hat_enterprise_linux-migration_planning_guide-
removed_packages

cdrdao has been removed from Red Hat Enterprise Linux between version 6 and
version 7 and is no longer supported. Interestingly, Brasero has also been
removed. What is the problem with it?

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project
https://kamarada.github.io/

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Frank Krüger
Am 30.11.2017 um 17:28 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

> On Wednesday, 2017-11-29 at 22:52 -0200, Linux Kamarada wrote:

>>> It is still included in the distribution, as well as cdrecord/cdrtools.
>>>
>>> But even if not, k3b would still complain about a missing cdrdao on
>>> startup
>>> if
>>> that is not installed.
>>> A simple data CD burn (with cdrecord installed) seems to work despite
>>> that
>>> though (and apparently doesn't use cdrdao either if it is installed).
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>
>> I can confirm a clean openSUSE Leap 42.3 install with KDE/Plasma Desktop
>> has cdrdao, cdrkit-cdrtools-compat, k3b and wodim packages installed.
>
> Yes, I know. I had to taboo "cdrkit-cdrtools-compat" in YaST. There is
> something that still requests it, I forget which. The suite that
> susestudio uses, whats its name...?

zypper se --requires cdrkit-cdrtools-compat::

 Name                       | Zusammenfassung

--+----------------------------+----------------------------------------------------
  | LiVES                      | Video Editor and VJ Tool

  | devede                     | A video DVD creator
  | devedeng                   | Video DVD creator
  | dracut-kiwi-live           | KIWI - Dracut module for iso(live)
image type
  | kiwi-boot-requires         | KIWI - buildservice package
requirements for boot images
  | kiwi-desc-isoboot-requires | KIWI - buildservice package
requirements for isoboot

Regards, Frank

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op donderdag 30 november 2017 17:28:51 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:

> On Wednesday, 2017-11-29 at 22:52 -0200, Linux Kamarada wrote:
> >>
> >> It is still included in the distribution, as well as cdrecord/cdrtools.
> >>
> >> But even if not, k3b would still complain about a missing cdrdao on
> >> startup
> >> if
> >> that is not installed.
> >> A simple data CD burn (with cdrecord installed) seems to work despite
> >> that
> >> though (and apparently doesn't use cdrdao either if it is installed).
> >>
> >> Kind Regards,
> >
> > I can confirm a clean openSUSE Leap 42.3 install with KDE/Plasma Desktop
> > has cdrdao, cdrkit-cdrtools-compat, k3b and wodim packages installed.
>
> Yes, I know. I had to taboo "cdrkit-cdrtools-compat" in YaST. There is
> something that still requests it, I forget which.

Carlos, please refrain from posting about what you dunno or forget. Or have a
look at 'man zypper', 'man rpm' to find the command options that will provide
this info. Instead of displaying your ignorance on whatever.

> The suite that
> susestudio uses, whats its name...?

There are webpages containing all the info to find out. This ML is for
technical discussions, FYI.

> --
> Cheers,
>         Carlos E. R.
>         (from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)

Please ???

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2017, 22:52:06 schrieb Linux Kamarada:
> I can confirm a clean openSUSE Leap 42.3 install with KDE/Plasma Desktop
> has cdrdao, cdrkit-cdrtools-compat, k3b and wodim packages installed.

That's not the "fault" of the k3b package though.

k3b supports both, cdrtools and cdrkit.
And therefore the k3b package requires /usr/bin/cdrecord, not one or the
other.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Per Jessen
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> Carlos, please refrain from posting about what you dunno or forget. Or
> have a look at 'man zypper', 'man rpm' to find the command options
> that will provide this info. Instead of displaying your ignorance on
> whatever.

How about being a bit more civil?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.9°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Joerg Schilling-3
Wolfgang Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2017, 22:52:06 schrieb Linux Kamarada:
> > I can confirm a clean openSUSE Leap 42.3 install with KDE/Plasma Desktop
> > has cdrdao, cdrkit-cdrtools-compat, k3b and wodim packages installed.
>
> That's not the "fault" of the k3b package though.
>
> k3b supports both, cdrtools and cdrkit.
> And therefore the k3b package requires /usr/bin/cdrecord, not one or the
> other.

I am a bit confused since there was a discussion ~ 2 years ago to completely
remove this "cdrkit" because it is full of bugs and did not get any bugfix
since May 2007.

Could someone enlighten me why this package that differs from the original in
the following ways:

- aprox. 100 "cdrkit" specific bugs exist that are not present in the
        original software and never have been present in the original software
        even in the past

- since May 2007, only typos have been removed but not a single bug. See
        the 100 well known bugs mentioned above

- not a single bug (even bugs that are present in an original cdrtools
        version from 2004) has been fixed in "cdrkit".

- "cdrkit" gives less than 50% of the features of a recent cdrtools
        original.

- Users report that ~ 50% of all attempts to write a DVD fail with "wodim"

- "wodim" does not support BluRay at all

- "genisoimage" creates filesystems with structural defects that may
        cause future filesystem implementations in the OS to reject the related
        media

- Copyright notices have been removed in "cdrkit", so the code is in
        violation with the law that forbids to remove such markers.

is installed at all?

Jörg

--
 EMail:[hidden email]                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    [hidden email] (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Re: OBS: nothing provides /usr/bin/cdrdao needed by k3b

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Joerg Schilling <[hidden email]> [12-01-17 05:36]:
 [...]
> Could someone enlighten me why this package that differs from the
> original in the following ways:
 [...]
> is installed at all?

the "package" discription says
  This subpackage provides symlinks for programs expecting cdrkit
  program names.
and *only* contains "Symlinks for cdrkit to point to cdrtools"

Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Joerg Schilling <[hidden email]> [12-01-17 05:36]:
>  [...]
> > Could someone enlighten me why this package that differs from the
> > original in the following ways:
>  [...]
> > is installed at all?
>
> the "package" discription says
>   This subpackage provides symlinks for programs expecting cdrkit
>   program names.
> and *only* contains "Symlinks for cdrkit to point to cdrtools"

OK then I may understand the problem:

If k3b believes that cdrkit is installed because the compatibility package is
there why then does it believe that cdrtools is missing?

Is it possible to unstall the compatibility but not the programs it liks to?

Jörg

"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You talk of the cdrkit-cdrtools-compat package. I understand Joerg
> Schilling is talking of the cdrkit package itself. The issue is that
> openSUSE is still installing by default cdrkit, not cdrtools.

OK, then my previous question still applies.

Jörg