Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Dylan-13
Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia drivers
available for 13.1?

Cheers
Dx

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

James Knott
Dylan wrote:
> Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia
> drivers available for 13.1?

No, but I'm also waiting for it.  I'm back to using Nouveau, complete
with lousy performance.

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Dylan-13
On 29/11/13 17:25, James Knott wrote:
> Dylan wrote:
>> Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia
>> drivers available for 13.1?
>
> No, but I'm also waiting for it.  I'm back to using Nouveau, complete
> with lousy performance.

Unfortunately, nouveau is a non-starter for me as I make extensive use
of 3D graphics applications (blender, primarily) and need the full
functionality and CUDA processing.

I've opened a bugzilla: 853009 but have no confidence that they will
appear any time soon... This seems to be a serious drawback if 13.1 is
to be made evergreen

Dx

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Patrick Shanahan-2
* James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-29-13 12:27]:
> Dylan wrote:
> > Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia
> > drivers available for 13.1?
>
> No, but I'm also waiting for it.  I'm back to using Nouveau, complete
> with lousy performance.

Download the binary pkg from:
 ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.20/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run

drop or boot to runlevel 3
as root:
  sh /<location>/<of>/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run -a

note that it may fail and advise including "--no-unified-memory" and it
may also need "--no-cc-version-check"

It is necessary to have installed your kernel versions of:
  kernel-desktop-devel
  kernel-devel

Presently running NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run
on GF 106 GeForce GTS 450

http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Robin Klitscher-2

> * James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-29-13 12:27]:
>> Dylan wrote:
>>> Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia
>>> drivers available for 13.1?
>>
>> No, but I'm also waiting for it.  I'm back to using Nouveau, complete
>> with lousy performance.
>
> Download the binary pkg from:
>  ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.20/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run
>
> drop or boot to runlevel 3
> as root:
>   sh /<location>/<of>/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run -a
>
> note that it may fail and advise including "--no-unified-memory" and it
> may also need "--no-cc-version-check"
>
> It is necessary to have installed your kernel versions of:
>   kernel-desktop-devel
>   kernel-devel
>
> Presently running NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run
> on GF 106 GeForce GTS 450

Running NVidia 331.20 by that method here, too; on GeForce GTX 670; oS
13.1.  No additional switches required during install.

--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Dylan-13
On 30/11/13 00:14, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-29-13 12:27]:
>> Dylan wrote:
>>> Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia
>>> drivers available for 13.1?
>>
>> No, but I'm also waiting for it.  I'm back to using Nouveau, complete
>> with lousy performance.
>
> Download the binary pkg from:
>   ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.20/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run

This might be (relatively) OK for *me* provided the CUDA modules get set
up correctly (which has been a significant issue in the past) but not at
all for the non-technical friends I help with support...

And if it's so easy, why are the repositories not available for 13.1?

Dx

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Francesco Teodori
Hi Dylan,
add this repo download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Overman79:/Laptop/openSUSE_13.1
Then install dkms dkms-nvidia x11-video-nvidia and x11-video-nvidia-32bit.
It is what I usually do. I have a laptop with optimus, however I use
the same repo on all the machines in my lab. I hope this may help.
Regards,
   Francesco

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Dylan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia drivers
> available for 13.1?
>
> Cheers
> Dx

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and
inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

James Knott
Francesco Teodori wrote:
> Then install dkms dkms-nvidia x11-video-nvidia and x11-video-nvidia-32bit.
> It is what I usually do. I have a laptop with optimus, however I use
> the same repo on all the machines in my lab.

Even with 64 bit systems?

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Bogdan Cristea
On Sun 01 Dec 2013 08:52:49 PM CET, James Knott wrote:
> Francesco Teodori wrote:
>> Then install dkms dkms-nvidia x11-video-nvidia and x11-video-nvidia-32bit.
>> It is what I usually do. I have a laptop with optimus, however I use
>> the same repo on all the machines in my lab.
>

> Even with 64 bit systems?

I have run into a similar problem on my 64 bit system. Nvidia provides
now drivers and a patch for newer Linux kernels (i.e. 3.11). See this
blog:
http://linuxsysconfig.com/2013/11/nvidia-introduces-support-for-3-11-and-newer-kernels/

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Francesco Teodori
I am not sure I have understood your question,
yes, I am running a 64 bit system. x11-video-nvidia-32bit is a
compatibility package needed if you want to run a 32 bit application.
I usually install it. The advantage of the dkms solution is that when
the kernel is updated, at the first reboot nvidia kernel module is
rebuilt.
Regards,
    Francesco

Bogdan Cristea wrote:
>> Even with 64 bit systems?
>
> I have run into a similar problem on my 64 bit system. Nvidia provides
> now drivers and a patch for newer Linux kernels (i.e. 3.11). See this
> blog:
> http://linuxsysconfig.com/2013/11/nvidia-introduces-support-for-3-11-and-newer-kernels/

What do the numbers 31.17 and 319.60 refer to?

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Bogdan Cristea
On Sun 01 Dec 2013 09:43:11 PM CET, James Knott wrote:

> Bogdan Cristea wrote:
>>> Even with 64 bit systems?
>>
>> I have run into a similar problem on my 64 bit system. Nvidia provides
>> now drivers and a patch for newer Linux kernels (i.e. 3.11). See this
>> blog:
>> http://linuxsysconfig.com/2013/11/nvidia-introduces-support-for-3-11-and-newer-kernels/
>>

> What do the numbers 31.17 and 319.60 refer to?

That is related to your video card version. I have downloaded the wrong
driver, but when running the install script you are told which driver
you need for your specific card.

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

James Knott
Bogdan Cristea wrote:

> I have run into a similar problem on my 64 bit system. Nvidia provides
> now drivers and a patch for newer Linux kernels (i.e. 3.11). See this
> blog:
> http://linuxsysconfig.com/2013/11/nvidia-introduces-support-for-3-11-and-newer-kernels/

While the ones listed were not suitable for my system, I was able to
find the appropriate ones.  Now my computer is back to normal, without
those performance killing Nouveau drivers.

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Vadym Krevs
On 29/11/13 17:25, James Knott wrote:
> Dylan wrote:
>> Does anyone know when there will be a repository with the nvidia
>> drivers available for 13.1?
> No, but I'm also waiting for it.  I'm back to using Nouveau, complete
> with lousy performance.

I've installed drivers from here on my desktop (not an Optimus system):
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ntami:/nvidia/openSUSE_13.1/

No issues.

Vadym Krevs

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Francesco Teodori
I did non know that repo. I prefer dkms solution, because I use the
newest kernels (3.12.2 at present), I cannot use prebuilt modules

Vadym Krevs wrote:
> I've installed drivers from here on my desktop (not an Optimus system):
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ntami:/nvidia/openSUSE_13.1/
>

> No issues.

I got the drivers from the Nvidia site.  They work fine so far.

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Dylan-13
On 02/12/13 13:05, James Knott wrote:
> Vadym Krevs wrote:
>> I've installed drivers from here on my desktop (not an Optimus system):
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ntami:/nvidia/openSUSE_13.1/
>>

>> No issues.
>
> I got the drivers from the Nvidia site.  They work fine so far.

It's not just a matter of whether they work - I'm part of a group of CGI
artists, and as such I have to support the non-technical members. It's
hard enough keeping several systems updated with oS and ancillary
software. Adding the complication of manual nvidia driver installation
to the mix is simply not practical.

This is a shame, since I was hoping to bring all the machines to 13.1 so
everyone was using the same distro version and I could then
semi-automate a lot of the admin.

Dx

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Dylan-13
On 30/11/13 10:24, Francesco Teodori wrote:
> Hi Dylan,
> add this repo download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Overman79:/Laptop/openSUSE_13.1
> Then install dkms dkms-nvidia x11-video-nvidia and x11-video-nvidia-32bit.
> It is what I usually do. I have a laptop with optimus, however I use
> the same repo on all the machines in my lab. I hope this may help.
> Regards,
>     Francesco

Thank you - I'm testing that at the moment, but there is no CUDA
functionality with those packages unfortunately.

Dx

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

Bogdan Cristea
On 12/02/2013 02:30 PM, Dylan wrote:
> It's not just a matter of whether they work - I'm part of a group of
> CGI artists, and as such I have to support the non-technical members.
> It's hard enough keeping several systems updated with oS and ancillary
> software. Adding the complication of manual nvidia driver installation
> to the mix is simply not practical.
>
> This is a shame, since I was hoping to bring all the machines to 13.1
> so everyone was using the same distro version and I could then
> semi-automate a lot of the admin.
It shouldn't be hard to automatically update NVidia drivers by using
some basic scripting knowledge

Re: Nvidia drivers for 13.1

jdd@dodin.org
Le 02/12/2013 14:30, Dylan a écrit :

> This is a shame, since I was hoping to bring all the machines to 13.1
> so everyone was using the same distro version and I could then
> semi-automate a lot of the admin.

clone the system disks from the beginning (if the nvidia proprietary
driver is really mandatory)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org