Nvidia Leap Repository?

Lew Wolfgang
Hi Folks,

I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry
if this is a repeat.

What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?

The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.

Regards,
Lew

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Harrie Baken-2
Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 20:01 schreef je:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry if this is a
> repeat.
>
> What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?
>
> The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.

Someone made a mess there.

har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://http.download.nvidia.com/leap/
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

The address in yast2 is:
har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

BUT:

har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2/
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Strange: zypper ref doesn't give an error, nor does yast2 repositories.

Harrie

--
Harrie Baken | Tekstbureau TekstBaken
Copy-editing - proofreading (Dutch)

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Harrie Baken-2
Hallo Harrie Baken, op 07-06-17 om 22:48 schreef je:

> The address in yast2 is: har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I
> http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2 HTTP/1.1 301 Moved
> Permanently

Which was followed by:
Location: http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2/

On 06/07/2017 01:48 PM, Harrie Baken wrote:

> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 20:01 schreef je:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry if this is a
>> repeat.
>>
>> What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?
>>
>> The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.
> Someone made a mess there.
>
> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://http.download.nvidia.com/leap/
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>
> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>
> The address in yast2 is:
> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2
> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
>
> BUT:
>
> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2/
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>
> Strange: zypper ref doesn't give an error, nor does yast2 repositories.

I wonder who made the mess?  The readme says that Nvidia isn't responsible for the
content, it's maintained by Novell/SUSE.  Nvidia just hosts the repository as a courtesy
to Novell.

Regards,
Lew

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink

parent directory  of http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/ is gone .....

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Lew Wolfgang
On 06/07/2017 02:06 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
>> I wonder who made the mess?  The readme says that Nvidia isn't responsible
>> for the content, it's maintained by Novell/SUSE.  Nvidia just hosts the
>> repository as a courtesy to Novell.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lew
> parent directory  ofhttp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/  is gone .....

But that directory seems to be okay, as is http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/.

I think the document-root doesn't have an index.html,  which shouldn't cause
the problem we're seeing with leap.

Regards,
Lew

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Harrie Baken-2
Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 23:13 schreef je:

> On 06/07/2017 02:06 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
>>> I wonder who made the mess?  The readme says that Nvidia isn't
>>> responsible for the content, it's maintained by Novell/SUSE.
>>> Nvidia just hosts the repository as a courtesy to Novell.
>>>
>>> Regards, Lew
>> parent directory  ofhttp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/  is gone
>
> But that directory seems to be okay, as is
> http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/.
>
> I think the document-root doesn't have an index.html,  which
> shouldn't cause the problem we're seeing with leap.

Indeed:

har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.2/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Harrie

--
Harrie Baken | Tekstbureau TekstBaken
Copy-editing - proofreading (Dutch)
www.tekstbaken.nl
Reg. Linux user #366560 | openSUSE 42.2 | CentOS 7

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Harrie Baken <[hidden email]> [06-07-17 17:29]:

> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 23:13 schreef je:

> >> parent directory  ofhttp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/  is gone
> >
> > But that directory seems to be okay, as is
> > http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/.
> >
> > I think the document-root doesn't have an index.html,  which
> > shouldn't cause the problem we're seeing with leap.
>
> Indeed:
>
> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.2/
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/
is back

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

On 2017-06-07 22:48, Harrie Baken wrote:

> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 20:01 schreef je:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry if this is a
>> repeat.
>>
>> What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?
>>
>> The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.
>
> Someone made a mess there.

> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2/
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>
> Strange: zypper ref doesn't give an error, nor does yast2 repositories.

It is supposed to NOT work with a browser and work with YaST or zypper.

If you want to browse the directories, use FTP instead.

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Lew Wolfgang

> * Harrie Baken <[hidden email]> [06-07-17 17:29]:
>> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 23:13 schreef je:

>>> But that directory seems to be okay, as is
>>> http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/.
>>>
>>> I think the document-root doesn't have an index.html,  which
>>> shouldn't cause the problem we're seeing with leap.
>> Indeed:
>>
>> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.2/
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/
> is back

XFree86 was never gone, its parent doesn't have an index.html file:

http://download.nvidia.com

This is the one that's gone:

On 06/07/2017 03:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-06-07 22:48, Harrie Baken wrote:
>> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 20:01 schreef je:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry if this is a
>>> repeat.
>>>
>>> What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?
>>>
>>> The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.
>> Someone made a mess there.
>
>> har@harbeidbak:~> curl -I http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2/
>> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>>
>> Strange: zypper ref doesn't give an error, nor does yast2 repositories.
> It is supposed to NOT work with a browser and work with YaST or zypper.
>
> If you want to browse the directories, use FTP instead.

Yes, but you could still use a browser to browse around if you
knew the paths.  Also, a zypper lr -u shows this for the path:

http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2

Which doesn't exist now.

But it seems that the ftp server isn't answering up either.  So ftp
connections are failing, and leap versions are gone (according to
the browser).  So things are really borked there!

Regards,
Lew

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Markus Koßmann-3
Am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017, 00:32:29 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

> If you want to browse the directories, use FTP instead.
Won't work. Nvidia has closed its ftp site some time ago:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1005867/unix-graphics-announcements-and-news/discontinuing-ftp-access-to-download-nvidia-com/

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Peter Suetterlin
Harrie Baken wrote:

> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 20:01 schreef je:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry if this is a
> > repeat.
> >
> > What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?
> >
> > The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.
>
> Someone made a mess there.

Not sure, but if I look at the size of the directory entries in the top dir
opensuse leap has a different size.   I wonder if there had been some HW or FS
issue on the server?

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Ken Schneider - Factory
On 06/08/2017 08:12 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Thursday, 2017-06-08 at 10:12 +0200, Markus Koßmann wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017, 00:32:29 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>>

>>> If you want to browse the directories, use FTP instead.
>> Won't work. Nvidia has closed its ftp site some time ago:
>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1005867/unix-graphics-announcements-and-news/discontinuing-ftp-access-to-download-nvidia-com/
>>

> Oh. This is recent, end of April.

I get my downloads from here:

http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Michael Hirmke

>On Thursday, 2017-06-08 at 10:12 +0200, Markus Koßmann wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017, 00:32:29 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>>

>>> If you want to browse the directories, use FTP instead.
>> Won't work. Nvidia has closed its ftp site some time ago:
>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1005867/unix-graphics-announcement
>> s-and-news/discontinuing-ftp-access-to-download-nvidia-com/

>Oh. This is recent, end of April.

yeah, and both links on the above mentioned page also give 404 errors
8-(

>- --
>Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Markus Koßmann-3
Am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017, 14:50:16 schrieb Ken Schneider - openSUSE:

> On 06/08/2017 08:12 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> >> Won't work. Nvidia has closed its ftp site some time ago:
> >> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1005867/unix-graphics-announceme
> >> nts-and-news/discontinuing-ftp-access-to-download-nvidia-com/>
> > Oh. This is recent, end of April.
>
> I get my downloads from here:
>
> http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/
These are the original NVidia BLOBS, which have to be compiled first to get a
working driver.  The problem are the binary RPM packages for OpenSuse with no
need to have a C development system installed.

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Andrei Borzenkov
08.06.2017 22:12, Markus Koßmann пишет:
>> I get my downloads from here:
>>
>> http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/
> These are the original NVidia BLOBS, which have to be compiled first to get a
> working driver.  The problem are the binary RPM packages for OpenSuse with no
> need to have a C development system installed.

Unless it has changed recently, openSUSE nVidia RPMs were building KMP
during installation, so they required enough development environment to
create kernel modules as well.

It is true that before that - very long time ago - they were provided as
binary. I think it was changed due to licensing reasons (restriction on
redistributing binary drivers).

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Werner Flamme-2
Harrie Baken [07.06.2017 22:48]:

> Hallo Lew, op 07-06-17 om 20:01 schreef je:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a feeling that this was noticed before,  so sorry if this is a
>> repeat.
>>
>> What happened to http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/?
>>
>> The other versions are there, but leap is missing in action.
>
> Someone made a mess there.
[...]

> Strange: zypper ref doesn't give an error, nor does yast2 repositories.

They are not visible by http access, until the transmitted user agent
string is the same as that of zypper :)

We had this long time ago with the Tumbleweed Update repo. I was then
informed that there is a redirection, but only for zypper. Not that this
repo is needed anyway, because TW just changes the package ;)

Werner

Re: Nvidia Leap Repository?

Michael Hirmke
Hi again,

>Hi,

>>> Won't work. Nvidia has closed its ftp site some time ago:
>>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1005867/unix-graphics-announcemen
>>> t s-and-news/discontinuing-ftp-access-to-download-nvidia-com/

>>Oh. This is recent, end of April.

>yeah, and both links on the above mentioned page also give 404 errors
>8-(

so where are we supposed to get our Nvidia drivers from?
I tried to update a clone to Leap 42.3 today and had no drivers at all.
Neither a repo was available nor did I succeed in compiling the latest
drivers from the Nvidia download page.

Bye.
Michael.
--