Novell for sale.

Re: Re: Novell for sale.

John Andersen-2
On 3/3/2010 3:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 02:13:37 -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this here
>> because of it's importance.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>
> Well, let's be clear here, an offer was made, that doesn't mean the
> company's for sale.
>
> Jim

As pointed out up-thread, A publicly traded company is ALWAYS for sale.

Acquire 50.0000001% of the shares and you effective control the company.

Re: Novell for sale.

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 21:27 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
> On 03/03/2010 07:45 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:

> >> Praise the Lord! There is hope. I feel a bit ashamed because i like
> >> *ubuntu, but sometimes you have think of yourself first. Please go to
> >> Kubuntu Basil. This would be the first positive thing you would bring to
> >> this community! :)
> >
> > Henne, I've been migrating my systems over to Ubuntu for a bit now.
> > Mostly, like Basil, I wish to just use the software rather than deal
> > with the quirks that I keep running into.  Ubuntu's overall community
> > seems to be headed or gone in the places that I wish to go.  I'm not
> > slagging SuSE, I'm just feeling much more consumerish, than geekish.
>
> I'm happy for you. Please use whatever FOSS distribution fits you best.
> If that's Ubuntu then its Ubuntu! I work together with others on
> openSUSE so it helps many people to fulfill their computing needs and if
> you're not one of them thats fine. The only thing I'm interested in is
> bringing this distribution and FOSS forward (so you better not wander
> off to some proprietary OS or I'll come and get you! ;)

  Not going to happen, though there are times that my tv card woudl have
worked better under the crappy Windows software than under the Linux
software available.  (It's mostly a bitch about Olympics info that isn't
as accurate as I want it to be.  I had to grab both Canadian and
American feeds to get everything that I wanted, but that is not oS'
responsibility, that the app writers/info providers responsibility.)
One big major bitch is the sound card on the system, it's a 5.2 card,
and it just stopped working after a kernel update in oS, but not in
Ubuntu (booted it side by side for comparison purposes).  lirc and udev
for the tv card were a nightmare in oS, but Ubuntu had all of the info
available, because more folks had questions about it, and until the
update of lirc (.pid moved location), it worked like the proverbial
cat's behind.

> For me and a lot of other figures in this movement this never has been
> and never will be about Ubuntu vs. openSUSE, KDE vs. GNOME or Emacs vs.
> Vim. We are way beyond that and i challenge all of you to get to this
> point too. Distro- or for that matter any other FOSS flamewars are just
> so booooooring.

  Well oddly enough, my next scheduled install is the current release of
oS.  For my everyday heavy lifting needs, Ubuntu will have to fill the
bill, but I'm gonna track oS to see how it's more consumer side (i.e.
non-corporate) matures.

> This is about getting the most out of this for YOU as
> individuals so the answer can just be some individual truth, like Ubuntu
> is what Mike is seeking for, and not something universal.

  {snip reply}

Re: Re: Novell for sale.

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 23:04 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 02:13:37 -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
> > Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this here
> > because of it's importance.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>
> Well, let's be clear here, an offer was made, that doesn't mean the
> company's for sale.

  Yes let's be clear here.  A minority investor with a track record of
buying what it considers to be under performing companies has floated of
taking Novell private.  It's not "for sale", but it's being looked at as
a buyable entity.  The whole MS deal thing is bad blood, and overlooks
things that are best explained by a former employee of Novell in his
Seminar on disruptive technologies given at a Detroit Linux Conference a
few years back.

Re: Novell for sale.

G T Smith

James Knott wrote:

> Martin Jungowski wrote:
>> Am 03.03.2010 08:13, schrieb Fred A. Miller:
>>
>>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>>> here because of it's importance.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>>>

>> Fred, your link doesn't work: 404 not found
>> You cut off the final 3, the correct link is:
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN20100303
>>
>> Martin
>>

> It isn't for "sale".  It's an offer to buy up shares, which are always
> on sale, if some share holder wants to sell.  IBM owns a chunk IIRC.

Every couple of years or so Novell gets linked to buy out talks with
other companies within the I.T industry (usually IBM or Microsoft), and
these normally come to nothing.

The unusual thing in this case is that this a financial fund that has
assessed that Novell's share market value seems to be less than the
company's actual capital value making it a suitable acquisition target.
If it succeeds any further decision making will likely be made by 'bean
counters' rather than those with a background in the industry, which
could be quite destructive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/03/novell_mulls_elliott_offer/

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/03/novell_elliott_take_private/

Give a slightly different analysis of the offer, and other likely
players....

BTW OpenSuSE is only a part of Novells operation (although a significant
part maybe), the original SuSE acquisition probably had more to do with
a need to find an alternative to the declining Netware based revenue
stream than any particular commitment to FOSS (the code bases for NDS,
Netware and e-Directory AFAIK still definitely closed source).

telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: Novell for sale.

Jim Henderson-4
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:07:32 -0800, John Andersen wrote:

> On 3/3/2010 3:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 02:13:37 -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this here
>>> because of it's importance.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>>
>> Well, let's be clear here, an offer was made, that doesn't mean the
>> company's for sale.
>>
>> Jim
>
> As pointed out up-thread, A publicly traded company is ALWAYS for sale.
>
> Acquire 50.0000001% of the shares and you effective control the company.

True enough, in other words, though, nothing to see here until an actual
agreement is reached.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: Novell for sale.

Basil Chupin-2
On 03/03/10 19:05, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 02:01:40AM -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

>> Nothing tanks a business faster than uncertainty. From the employees job
>> security standpoint to market direction if uncertainty slithers in all bets are
>> off. As for the migration? Easy answer - Arch Linux :p
>>
>> (btw. Basil, if you're still having problems, drop me a line ;-)
>>
> ?
>
> Someone made an unsolicited *offer* to buy Novell. It does not
> mean that it gets accepted by default, or at all.
>
> You are spreading FUD more than anything else. ;)
>
> ciao, Marcus

Marcus, you is all confus-ed, not to mention some others :-) .

Fred posted a message titled, "Novell for sale".

I only posted an URL to a message which appeared in some article written
way back in November 2006 as a response to Fred Miller's original post.

So, who is spreading FUD?

Nobody here.

Fred posted something recently written in the world's press; I referred
to something written back in 2006 in the world's press.

Why not take issue with the authors of those articles which Fred quoted,
and I quoted, rather than single me out as the subject for an 'ad
hominem' attack?

If 'you' people live in ivory towers and do not read the world press
then please do not accuse persons in these openSUSE fora as spreading
FUD by simply quoting what that world press states about Novell/openSUSE.

Is it a deal? :-)

Oh, BTW, what has happened to Joe Brockmeier?

BC

--
A boiled egg is hard to beat.

Re: Novell for sale.

Basil Chupin-2
On 03/03/10 22:37, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:50 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>>> here because of it's importance.
>>> Fred
>>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>>>
>>   A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
>> Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
>> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX
>> Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
>> customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
>> own short-term rewards.
>>
> Maybe there is a reason people don't subscribe to the offtopic list?
> Hmmm... Because we don't want to be pelted with senseless inflammatory
> ignorant tripe.
>
> You've accomplished a lot - now fewer people will subscribe to this list
> too.  Thanks for helping Linux thrive by worsening the signal-to-noise
> ratio.

 You don't really know what you are talking about, do you?

You are simply "a follower", aren't you?

The article which I referenced above was posted on the internet in
November 2006.

Have you got this date....November 2006.

It is now March 2010.

Are you with me "tree [person]" (as Neil Diamond asked of his audience
during, "Hot August Night")? :-)  (One of the greatest recordings of a
live performance of the century!)

And I do not recall posting that article in offtopic.

If I am wrong about this then please let me know, and I will acknowledge
my mistake.

OHHhhhh...BTW... the article which I referenced was not written by
myself but by a person who writes for a world-wide syndicated press agency.

Meaning, just in case it eludes you, that the comments are not mine but
of someone who writes in the world press on the subject of IT.

Have you been in a position of understanding of what I just stated?

Luvly! So nice to know :-) .

BC

--

A boiled egg is hard to beat.

Re: Novell for sale.

Robert Schweikert-4

Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 03/03/10 22:37, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

>>>   A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
>>> Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
>>> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX
>>> Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
>>> customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
>>> own short-term rewards.
>>>
>> Maybe there is a reason people don't subscribe to the offtopic list?
>> Hmmm... Because we don't want to be pelted with senseless inflammatory
>> ignorant tripe.
>>
>> You've accomplished a lot - now fewer people will subscribe to this list
>> too.  Thanks for helping Linux thrive by worsening the signal-to-noise
>> ratio.
>>
>  You don't really know what you are talking about, do you?
>
> You are simply "a follower", aren't you?
>
> The article which I referenced above was posted on the internet in
> November 2006.
>
> Have you got this date....November 2006.
>
> It is now March 2010.

Yes it is, and the article you linked (3.5 years old) was and is
completely irrelevant to the topic of the unsolicited buy out offer by
Elliot LP.

> Are you with me "tree [person]" (as Neil Diamond asked of his audience
> during, "Hot August Night")? :-)  (One of the greatest recordings of a
> live performance of the century!)
>
> And I do not recall posting that article in offtopic.
>
> If I am wrong about this then please let me know, and I will acknowledge
> my mistake.
>
> OHHhhhh...BTW... the article which I referenced was not written by
> myself but by a person who writes for a world-wide syndicated press agency.
>
> Meaning, just in case it eludes you, that the comments are not mine but
> of someone who writes in the world press on the subject of IT.
>
> Have you been in a position of understanding of what I just stated?
>
> Luvly! So nice to know :-) .
>

> BC

Re: Novell for sale.

Fred A. Miller
On 03/05/2010 05:19 PM, Graham Anderson wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 March 2010 08:13:37 Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>> here because of it's importance.
>>
> Thanks Fred,
>
> It was all over the IT newswire's this week but it's so noteworthy that it
> warrants being posted to this list.
>
> I have some simple things to say about this.
>
>   * openSUSE is a project based on free and open source software.
>   * openSUSE project tools are all freely available.
>   * openSUSE, as a project, cannot be quashed.

And, it wouldn't be what it is without Novell.

Fred

--
“The sword of Muhammad and the Qur'an are the most fatal enemies of
civilization, liberty and truth which the world has ever known - an

Re: Novell for sale.

John Andersen-2
On 3/5/2010 8:52 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> On 03/05/2010 05:19 PM, Graham Anderson wrote:
>> On Wednesday 03 March 2010 08:13:37 Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>>> here because of it's importance.
>>>
>> Thanks Fred,
>>
>> It was all over the IT newswire's this week but it's so noteworthy that it
>> warrants being posted to this list.
>>
>> I have some simple things to say about this.
>>
>>   * openSUSE is a project based on free and open source software.
>>   * openSUSE project tools are all freely available.
>>   * openSUSE, as a project, cannot be quashed.
>>

> And, it wouldn't be what it is without Novell.
>
> Fred

No, it would be a much better Distro.  It actually MADE MONEY
as SuSE.

Re: Novell for sale.

Fred A. Miller
On 03/06/2010 12:50 AM, John Andersen wrote:

> On 3/5/2010 8:52 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:

>>> Thanks Fred,
>>>
>>> It was all over the IT newswire's this week but it's so noteworthy that it
>>> warrants being posted to this list.
>>>
>>> I have some simple things to say about this.
>>>
>>>   * openSUSE is a project based on free and open source software.
>>>   * openSUSE project tools are all freely available.
>>>   * openSUSE, as a project, cannot be quashed.
>>>

>> And, it wouldn't be what it is without Novell.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> No, it would be a much better Distro.  It actually MADE MONEY
> as SuSE.

So I understand. Maybe our friends in Germany will get it back....NOT a
bad idea, eh?!

Fred

--
There are none so blind as those who will not open their eyes (liberals)
because dogma is more important than the truth!

Re: Novell for sale.

Philipp Thomas-3
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:19:10 -0500, you wrote:

> Maybe our friends in Germany will get it back....NOT a bad idea, eh?!

For what this offer means (including a description of the mechanics of
such a tender) see
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20100304051547830

Which IMO is the best info I found so far on this topic.

Philipp

Re: Novell for sale.

John Andersen-2
On 3/6/2010 11:57 AM, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:19:10 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Maybe our friends in Germany will get it back....NOT a bad idea, eh?!
>
> For what this offer means (including a description of the mechanics of
> such a tender) see
> http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20100304051547830
>
> Which IMO is the best info I found so far on this topic.
>
> Philipp

Yes a very good write up.

I fault it only for failing to put much emphasis on the possibility of
Elliott simply walking away as stealthily as it acquired its 8% share.

This happens quite frequently these days, they make a big noise, raise
the share price, make enough moves to satisfy the SEC that they really
did intend to acquire, and it wasn't just a ploy, and then simply slink
away after selling off their shares at a profit.

IBM cemented its claim to continued access to Suse when Novell took over
with the "gift" of 50 million, and I would expect them to be a far more
serious White Knight than Microsoft.  Microsoft has to know that no one
would trust a Linux distro from them.

Re: Novell for sale.

Fred A. Miller
On 03/06/2010 02:57 PM, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:19:10 -0500, you wrote:
>

>> Maybe our friends in Germany will get it back....NOT a bad idea, eh?!
>>
> For what this offer means (including a description of the mechanics of
> such a tender) see
> http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20100304051547830
>
> Which IMO is the best info I found so far on this topic.

Thanks, I think. ;) It is interesting, but it also looks more likely
that Novell will be bought by someone. The two known companies who'd NOT
be favored by users is MickySoft and Elliot. I'd prefer that IBM make
some agreement with Novell that will satisfy everyone, and tell the
raiders at Elliot to go fly a kite.

Fred