Novell for sale.

Fred A. Miller
Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
here because of it's importance.

Fred

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030

--
There are none so blind as those who will not open their eyes (liberals)
because dogma is more important than the truth!

Re: Novell for sale.

Martin Jungowski
Am 03.03.2010 08:13, schrieb Fred A. Miller:
> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> here because of it's importance.
>
> Fred
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030

Fred, your link doesn't work: 404 not found
You cut off the final 3, the correct link is:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN20100303

Martin

--
Rieke Computersysteme GmbH
Hellerholz 5

HRB Muenchen 73617

Re: Novell for sale.

Hans Witvliet
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:19 +0100, Martin Jungowski wrote:

> Am 03.03.2010 08:13, schrieb Fred A. Miller:
> > Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> > here because of it's importance.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
> >

> Fred, your link doesn't work: 404 not found
> You cut off the final 3, the correct link is:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN20100303
>
> Martin

Was just checking my bank-account....
Just missing some odd euro's ;-)

Re: Novell for sale.

Basil Chupin-2
On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> here because of it's importance.
>
> Fred
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030

  A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE

Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX

Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
own short-term rewards. If you want to see Linux flourish, let alone
survive after Novell's five year deal with Microsoft expires, I suggest
we make an alternative five year deal with Microsoft. In this case, our
part of the deal is to spend the next five minutes, months, or years
migrating away from every shred of Novell/SUSE software in our home,
office, or enterprise.

The controversial agreement between Microsoft and Novell stinks to high
heaven. Look, for example, at the contradictory statements.

Take this quote from the Novell FAQ on the agreement
<http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/faq_opensource.html>:

    Novell makes no admission that its Linux and open source offerings
    infringe on any other parties' patents.

How does that jibe with the following quote from Microsoft General
Counsel Brad Smith?

    "We addressed the proprietary issues through the net up-front
    payment. The open-source we addressed through the percentage of
    revenue."

The "percentage of revenue" to which Brad Smith is referring is Novell's
payment to Microsoft so that Microsoft will not sue SUSE customers for
patent infringement.

Wait. Didn't we just read that no such infringements exist? If Novell is
paying Microsoft a percentage of its revenue from sales of SUSE Linux as
part of a covenant from Microsoft not to sue SUSE customers for patent
infringement in open source code, then is this not a tacit admission
that Novell's Linux and open source offerings infringe on other parties'
patents, particularly Microsoft's patents? How can one interpret this
any other way? Why would Novell pay Microsoft not to sue its customers
over patent infrigements Novell says do not exist?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

--

A boiled egg is hard to beat.

Re: Novell for sale.

David C. Rankin
On 03/03/2010 01:50 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>> here because of it's importance.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>>

>   A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
>

> Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX
>

> Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
> customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
> own short-term rewards. If you want to see Linux flourish, let alone
> survive after Novell's five year deal with Microsoft expires, I suggest
> we make an alternative five year deal with Microsoft. In this case, our
> part of the deal is to spend the next five minutes, months, or years
> migrating away from every shred of Novell/SUSE software in our home,
> office, or enterprise.
>
> The controversial agreement between Microsoft and Novell stinks to high
> heaven. Look, for example, at the contradictory statements.
>
> Take this quote from the Novell FAQ on the agreement
> <http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/faq_opensource.html>:
>
>     Novell makes no admission that its Linux and open source offerings
>     infringe on any other parties' patents.
>
> How does that jibe with the following quote from Microsoft General
> Counsel Brad Smith?
>
>     "We addressed the proprietary issues through the net up-front
>     payment. The open-source we addressed through the percentage of
>     revenue."
>
> The "percentage of revenue" to which Brad Smith is referring is Novell's
> payment to Microsoft so that Microsoft will not sue SUSE customers for
> patent infringement.
>
> Wait. Didn't we just read that no such infringements exist? If Novell is
> paying Microsoft a percentage of its revenue from sales of SUSE Linux as
> part of a covenant from Microsoft not to sue SUSE customers for patent
> infringement in open source code, then is this not a tacit admission
> that Novell's Linux and open source offerings infringe on other parties'
> patents, particularly Microsoft's patents? How can one interpret this
> any other way? Why would Novell pay Microsoft not to sue its customers
> over patent infrigements Novell says do not exist?
>

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

Nothing tanks a business faster than uncertainty. From the employees job
security standpoint to market direction if uncertainty slithers in all bets are
off. As for the migration? Easy answer - Arch Linux :p

(btw. Basil, if you're still having problems, drop me a line ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Re: Novell for sale.

Marcus Meissner
On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 02:01:40AM -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

> On 03/03/2010 01:50 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> >> here because of it's importance.
> >>
> >> Fred
> >>
> >> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>
> Nothing tanks a business faster than uncertainty. From the employees job
> security standpoint to market direction if uncertainty slithers in all bets are
> off. As for the migration? Easy answer - Arch Linux :p
>
> (btw. Basil, if you're still having problems, drop me a line ;-)

?

Someone made an unsolicited *offer* to buy Novell. It does not
mean that it gets accepted by default, or at all.

You are spreading FUD more than anything else. ;)

ciao, Marcus

Re: Novell for sale.

Basil Chupin-2
On 03/03/10 19:01, David C. Rankin wrote:

[pruned, for Patrick's sake]

> Nothing tanks a business faster than uncertainty. From the employees job
> security standpoint to market direction if uncertainty slithers in all bets are
> off. As for the migration? Easy answer - Arch Linux :p
>
> (btw. Basil, if you're still having problems, drop me a line ;-)

A very brief answer - I am unable to sit down for more a few
minutes...and no, not because of anything to do with a "bunch of grapes"
:-)  but because of my hip..

The Arch thing does not appear to be my cup of tea as I am no longer
inclined to seriously experiment with, nor fight against, the software I
am using :-) .

I think that I have reached the conclusion, at this point in time at
least, is that I will change over to Kubuntu if things pan out as what
is showing up in the crystal balls over the place. "Where there is
smoke, there is fire.."

BC

--
A boiled egg is hard to beat.

Re: Novell for sale.

Henne Vogelsang-2
Hi,

On 03/03/2010 10:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> I think that I have reached the conclusion, at this point in time at
> least, is that I will change over to Kubuntu

Praise the Lord! There is hope. I feel a bit ashamed because i like
*ubuntu, but sometimes you have think of yourself first. Please go to
Kubuntu Basil. This would be the first positive thing you would bring to
this community! :)

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
        - Mike Tyson

Re: Novell for sale.

Adam Tauno Williams
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:50 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> > here because of it's importance.
> > Fred
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>   A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
> Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX
> Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
> customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
> own short-term rewards.

Maybe there is a reason people don't subscribe to the offtopic list?
Hmmm... Because we don't want to be pelted with senseless inflammatory
ignorant tripe.

You've accomplished a lot - now fewer people will subscribe to this list
too.  Thanks for helping Linux thrive by worsening the signal-to-noise
ratio.

Re: Novell for sale.

Duaine Hechler
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:50 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/10 18:13, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>>> here because of it's importance.
>>> Fred
>>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>>>
>>   A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
>> Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
>> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX
>> Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
>> customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
>> own short-term rewards.
>>

> Maybe there is a reason people don't subscribe to the offtopic list?
> Hmmm... Because we don't want to be pelted with senseless inflammatory
> ignorant tripe.
>
> You've accomplished a lot - now fewer people will subscribe to this list
> too.  Thanks for helping Linux thrive by worsening the signal-to-noise
> ratio.
WELL, I for one ain't going anywhere - I LOVE openSUSE - unless things
completely disintegrate or Microsucks buys them.

Besides, I have not - played with - anything that even comes close to
openSUSE and it's software repositories.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ

Re: Novell for sale.

Adam Tauno Williams
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:37 -0600, Duaine Hechler wrote:

> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >>   A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
> >> Nov 08, 2006  By Nicholas Petreley
> >> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/801587>     <================XX
> >> Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE
> >> customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its
> >> own short-term rewards.
> > Maybe there is a reason people don't subscribe to the offtopic list?
> > Hmmm... Because we don't want to be pelted with senseless inflammatory
> > ignorant tripe
> > You've accomplished a lot - now fewer people will subscribe to this list
> > too.  Thanks for helping Linux thrive by worsening the signal-to-noise
> > ratio.
> WELL, I for one ain't going anywhere - I LOVE openSUSE - unless things
> completely disintegrate or Microsucks buys them.

Agree.

(a) the aforementioned article is meaningless.
(b) the M$/Novell deal is a trivial issue that ignorant whacka-doodles
can't stop crowing about.

Open Source [the community], IMO, will be much better off if it adopts a
zero-tolerance policy for such inanity/stupidity.

See the "Makes accusations of conspiracy (paranoia)" section of the
excellent
<http://jeffreystedfast.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-survive-poisonous-people.html>.

Also, all the FUDsters should be pounded with as many e-mails as they
generate - all containing a link to
<http://www.jprl.com/Blog/archive/development/mono/2009/Jan-19.html>
(which has to do with Mono, but applies generally to all the crap these
guys won't stop yammering about).

> Besides, I have not - played with - anything that even comes close to
> openSUSE and it's software repositories.

Ditto.
--
openSUSE w/GNOME <http://www.opensuse.org/en/>
Linux for human beings who need to get work done.

Re: Novell for sale.

James Knott
Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> here because of it's importance.
>
> Fred
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030

Hmmm...  That URL is busted.

Re: Novell for sale.

James Knott
Martin Jungowski wrote:

> Am 03.03.2010 08:13, schrieb Fred A. Miller:
>
>> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
>> here because of it's importance.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
>>

> Fred, your link doesn't work: 404 not found
> You cut off the final 3, the correct link is:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN20100303
>
> Martin

It isn't for "sale".  It's an offer to buy up shares, which are always
on sale, if some share holder wants to sell.  IBM owns a chunk IIRC.

Re: Novell for sale.

Adam Tauno Williams
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:38 -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this
> > here because of it's importance.
> > Fred
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030
> Hmmm...  That URL is busted.

The original poster dropped a "3" of the end.

<http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN20100303>

Re: Novell for sale.

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 10:28 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03/03/2010 10:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> > I think that I have reached the conclusion, at this point in time at
> > least, is that I will change over to Kubuntu
>
> Praise the Lord! There is hope. I feel a bit ashamed because i like
> *ubuntu, but sometimes you have think of yourself first. Please go to
> Kubuntu Basil. This would be the first positive thing you would bring to
> this community! :)

  Henne, I've been migrating my systems over to Ubuntu for a bit now.
Mostly, like Basil, I wish to just use the software rather than deal
with the quirks that I keep running into.  Ubuntu's overall community
seems to be headed or gone in the places that I wish to go.  I'm not
slagging SuSE, I'm just feeling much more consumerish, than geekish.

Re: Novell for sale.

John Andersen-2
On Wednesday 03 March 2010 12:05:31 am Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 02:01:40AM -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

> > Nothing tanks a business faster than uncertainty. From the employees job
> > security standpoint to market direction if uncertainty slithers in all
> > bets are off. As for the migration? Easy answer - Arch Linux :p
> >
> > (btw. Basil, if you're still having problems, drop me a line ;-)
>
> ?
>
> Someone made an unsolicited *offer* to buy Novell. It does not
> mean that it gets accepted by default, or at all.
>
> You are spreading FUD more than anything else. ;)
>
> ciao, Marcus

Doesn't have to be "accepted" Marcus.  At least not by Novell.
Only 17% of stock is held by insiders.
72% is held by mutual fund and institutional holders.
Novell itself has nothing at all to say in this matter.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=NOVL

Re: Novell for sale.

Robert Schweikert-4

Mike McMullin wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 10:28 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03/03/2010 10:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> I think that I have reached the conclusion, at this point in time at
>>> least, is that I will change over to Kubuntu
>> Praise the Lord! There is hope. I feel a bit ashamed because i like
>> *ubuntu, but sometimes you have think of yourself first. Please go to
>> Kubuntu Basil. This would be the first positive thing you would bring to
>> this community! :)
>
>   Henne, I've been migrating my systems over to Ubuntu for a bit now.
> Mostly, like Basil, I wish to just use the software rather than deal
> with the quirks that I keep running into.

Good luck with that, if you think Ubuntu (not to harp on them) just
works I am sure you will have your surprises.

> Ubuntu's overall community
> seems to be headed or gone in the places that I wish to go.  I'm not
> slagging SuSE, I'm just feeling much more consumerish, than geekish.

--
Robert Schweikert                           MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX

Novell
Making IT Work As One

Re: Novell for sale.

Henne Vogelsang-2
Hey Mike,

On 03/03/2010 07:45 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 10:28 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
>>
>> On 03/03/2010 10:20 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> I think that I have reached the conclusion, at this point in time at
>>> least, is that I will change over to Kubuntu
>>
>> Praise the Lord! There is hope. I feel a bit ashamed because i like
>> *ubuntu, but sometimes you have think of yourself first. Please go to
>> Kubuntu Basil. This would be the first positive thing you would bring to
>> this community! :)
>
> Henne, I've been migrating my systems over to Ubuntu for a bit now.
> Mostly, like Basil, I wish to just use the software rather than deal
> with the quirks that I keep running into.  Ubuntu's overall community
> seems to be headed or gone in the places that I wish to go.  I'm not
> slagging SuSE, I'm just feeling much more consumerish, than geekish.

I'm happy for you. Please use whatever FOSS distribution fits you best.
If that's Ubuntu then its Ubuntu! I work together with others on
openSUSE so it helps many people to fulfill their computing needs and if
you're not one of them thats fine. The only thing I'm interested in is
bringing this distribution and FOSS forward (so you better not wander
off to some proprietary OS or I'll come and get you! ;)

For me and a lot of other figures in this movement this never has been
and never will be about Ubuntu vs. openSUSE, KDE vs. GNOME or Emacs vs.
Vim. We are way beyond that and i challenge all of you to get to this
point too. Distro- or for that matter any other FOSS flamewars are just
so booooooring. This is about getting the most out of this for YOU as
individuals so the answer can just be some individual truth, like Ubuntu
is what Mike is seeking for, and not something universal.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
        - Mike Tyson

Re: Novell for sale.

Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Mike McMullin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Henne, I've been migrating my systems over to Ubuntu for a bit now.
> Mostly, like Basil, I wish to just use the software rather than deal
> with the quirks that I keep running into.  Ubuntu's overall community
> seems to be headed or gone in the places that I wish to go.  I'm not
> slagging SuSE, I'm just feeling much more consumerish, than geekish.

Good luck, hope you get a nice experience with Ubuntu. It's a free &
open source world, so you have free option to decided which distro fit
with your requirement.

Me, myself, have different experience with Ubuntu until then move to
openSUSE but it's the other story.

--
Best Regards,

Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
/************************************************************/
Blog (ID)                   : http://www.vavai.com
Blog (EN)                 : http://www.vavai.net
/************************************************************/

Re: Novell for sale.

Jim Henderson-4
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 02:13:37 -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Many of you don't read the off-topic list, so I'll post this here
> because of it's importance.
>
> Fred
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN2010030

Well, let's be clear here, an offer was made, that doesn't mean the
company's for sale.

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson