Notepad++

Gilles SICHE
Hello,

Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
of this program with the same features for Linux?

Thanks in advance,

Gilles Siche

Re: Notepad++

Anders Johansson-9
On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 16:02 +0100, Gilles SICHE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
> of this program with the same features for Linux?

I have no idea what notepad++ is, but the web site says it's based on
scintilla, which is available for linux. The scintilla web site suggests
scite

If you mention which specific features you're interested in, it would be
easier for people to suggest other alternatives as well

Anders

Re: Notepad++

Gilles SICHE
Thank you for your answer, you are right, I should have been more specific.

I use Notepad++ to create web pages, the lines are coloured according
to their value/meaning, which is a common feature in many such text
editors
But what I like above all, is the possibility to make the same change
in more than one page at the same time (ctrl+H : make changes in all
opened pages), save all opened pages or close them in one click, and
the possibility to open the browser directly from Notepad++ to see
what the page looks like.

I am going to have a go at scite.

Thanks again,

Gilles Siche

Re: Notepad++

JB2-2
On Saturday, February 12, 2011 09:02 Gilles SICHE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
> of this program with the same features for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance,

  The best editor in Linux, IMHO, was kedit. Unfortunately someone, somewhere
decided it worked too good and had them 'fix' it...by removing it from KDE.

Re: Notepad++

Anton Aylward
Anders Johansson said the following on 02/12/2011 10:11 AM:

> On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 16:02 +0100, Gilles SICHE wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
>> of this program with the same features for Linux?
>
> I have no idea what notepad++ is, but the web site says it's based on
> scintilla, which is available for linux. The scintilla web site suggests
> scite
>
> If you mention which specific features you're interested in, it would be
> easier for people to suggest other alternatives as well

Yes.
Is it ...

A modeless editor

A very small editor with few features

A fast to start up editor

A very 'plain text' editor that's guaranteed to use only text and
suitable for editing config files :-) :-) :-)

Some function like 'an easy TODO pad'

I'm using Basket for keeping notes.  Its in my system tray.
Its not about files, but its 'always there' (aka fast to start) and
modeless (for common editing).  It is not file oriented.

For some of those thinks like TiddlyWiki might be more suitable, running
in GTD mode.

Despite what some people might claim, telling us what you are trying to
achieve, what your objectives for use are, will help us advise you.

If you just want an easy to use editor, Linux has **LOTS** of them,
depending on your definition of "easy".    If that definition boils down
to 'Just Like on Microsoft Windows' then I suggest you find a more
tactful way of phrasing it :-)

Re: Notepad++

lynn-32
On Saturday 12 February 2011 16:39:21 Ignatz wrote:
> On Saturday, February 12, 2011 09:02 Gilles SICHE wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
> > of this program with the same features for Linux?

Good trawl. I bit. Ahhgh!

L x

Re: Notepad++

Marc Chamberlin
On 2/12/2011 7:02 AM, Gilles SICHE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
> of this program with the same features for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gilles Siche
Gilles -  If you go to www.portableapps.com they support a suite of
programs that run under both Windoz and Linux (wine). You will need to
installed Wine on your Linux system, available in the repositories. The
applications that are supported include a portable version of Notepad++.
Download and continue to enjoy your favorite editor!  :-)

     Marc..

Re: Notepad++

Anton Aylward
Gilles SICHE said the following on 02/12/2011 10:35 AM:

> Thank you for your answer, you are right, I should have been more specific.
>
> I use Notepad++ to create web pages, the lines are coloured according
> to their value/meaning, which is a common feature in many such text
> editors

Yes.  Under Linux there are many tat have this capability, and more,
like running scripts, recording keystrokes for replay ..

The VIM family for editors, Kate.  many others.

Or perhaps rather than a syntax directed editor, which, as a side
effect, colourizes the lines, what you want is a proper HTML editor.
Again Linux has a number of those - WYSIWYG and raw and in between.

http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmleditors/tp/Free-HTML-Editors-Linux-UNIX.htm

I've long since given up on editing HTML.
Instead I use one of the markup languages that will generate correct and
error free html from plain text input.  I'm really not interested in the
fiddly bits of HTML, rather in producing correct html as quickly and
effortlessly as I can.   HTML is the 'assembly code' of the web.  I'd
rather use a HLL.  What you see a applying to all the pages I think of
as DRY.

My favourites in this area are Textile/Redcloth and Markdown, but you
might also consider ReST

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lightweight_markup_languages
for some others.

There are also markup languages that generate correct CSS - try Sass,
which not only saves all the syntactic hassle and potential errors, but
adds constants and mixins to CSS.

Ultimately, many of your items I never have to be concerned with because
the CMS or site manager takes care of those details.

Re: Notepad++

Malcolm-31
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:35:04 +0100
Gilles SICHE <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you for your answer, you are right, I should have been more
> specific.
>
> I use Notepad++ to create web pages, the lines are coloured according
> to their value/meaning, which is a common feature in many such text
> editors
> But what I like above all, is the possibility to make the same change
> in more than one page at the same time (ctrl+H : make changes in all
> opened pages), save all opened pages or close them in one click, and
> the possibility to open the browser directly from Notepad++ to see
> what the page looks like.
>
> I am going to have a go at scite.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Gilles Siche
Hi
I use medit, which I have built on OBS
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=medit&baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.3&lang=en&exclude_debug=true
For you enjoyment I have also built SciTE as well;
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=scite&baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.3&lang=en&exclude_debug=true

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.27-0.2-default

Re: Notepad++

Anders Johansson-9
On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 16:35 +0100, Gilles SICHE wrote:
> But what I like above all, is the possibility to make the same change
> in more than one page at the same time (ctrl+H : make changes in all
> opened pages), save all opened pages or close them in one click, and
> the possibility to open the browser directly from Notepad++ to see
> what the page looks like.

Syntax highlighting, Save All, Close All and open browser, those are
features available in many editors. Most IDEs, and some editors such as
kate have them.

I'm curious about the "make changes in all opened pages though". How
would that work? Is it a regular expression that gets executed on all
docs? If so, the feature is available in kate, where you also have the
option to create "snipplets" to implement your own features.

If it's something else, I'd love to know how that works in notepad++

Anders

Re: Notepad++

C-29
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 20:43, Anders Johansson wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 16:35 +0100, Gilles SICHE wrote:
>> But what I like above all, is the possibility to make the same change
>> in more than one page at the same time (ctrl+H : make changes in all
>> opened pages), save all opened pages or close them in one click, and
>> the possibility to open the browser directly from Notepad++ to see
>> what the page looks like.
>
> Syntax highlighting, Save All, Close All and open browser, those are
> features available in many editors. Most IDEs, and some editors such as
> kate have them.
>
> I'm curious about the "make changes in all opened pages though". How
> would that work? Is it a regular expression that gets executed on all
> docs? If so, the feature is available in kate, where you also have the
> option to create "snipplets" to implement your own features.
>
> If it's something else, I'd love to know how that works in notepad++

Another one to throw into the mix is JEdit.  I use this one a lot for
almost any text editing I need to do regardless of OS... Solaris and
Linux at work... Linxu at home... Windows or OSX when I'm traveling
etc.  It has a lot of plugins that add all sort so interesting
functionality.

Also... I just fired up Notepad++ in Wine, and on initial testing...
it seems to work just fine, so if you (the OP) prefer to keep using it
because it has features you are used to, there should be nothing
stopping you from just setting it up an using it in Wine.

C.

RE: Notepad++

Pete Connolly
I've just had a look in notepad++ (booted into Win 7 right now, excuse the outlook quoting).  It seems ctrl-h give you a find/search and replace option that works in all open files, with options to work in a directory across files conforming to filter, e.g. *.txt, *.php and so on.

It handles 'normal', 'extended' (\t, \n, \r) and regular expressions for the search criteria.

Looks like a nice editor all around, I'd probably go for the portable version under wine if I really wanted it.

Cheers

Pete

On Saturday 12 February 2011 21:00:54 Pete Connolly wrote:
> I've just had a look in notepad++ (booted into Win 7 right now, excuse the
> outlook quoting).  It seems ctrl-h give you a find/search and replace
> option that works in all open files, with options to work in a directory
> across files conforming to filter, e.g. *.txt, *.php and so on.

Well, kate can certainly do that for all open files in the ctrl-r dialog.

Not sure about doing it for all files in a directory, it looks like you'll
first have to search for the pattern, select the files in the search result
and then do a find and replace

But in kate there is an option to create your own scripts, it should be a one-
liner sed command to do just that, so it doesn't strike me as a major
obstacle.

Or perhaps an IDE with a refactoring capability - I suspect this is what it's
really about anyway.

All in all, my vote would go to kate as the best option, if a native program
is desired, and if an IDE is too much

Anders

Re: Notepad++

Gilles SICHE
Thanks to everyone for your very useful answers. I'm going to explore
the different options offered.

Have a great Sunday,

Gilles Siche

Re: Notepad++

lynn-32
On Saturday 12 Feb 2011 18:57:16 you wrote:
> Dear Lynn,
>
> unless I misunderstand your short answer to my query (which is
> possible), I really don't understand why so many Linux enthusiasts are
> so touchy.
>
> I'll give you that my phrasing *may* have been a bit clumsy, but I
> *am* using a Linux distribution, aren't I?

Don't know what to suggest. Use joe?

L x

Re: Notepad++

Charles philip Chan
Gilles SICHE <[hidden email]>
writes:

Emacs can do all that, but it has a steep learning curve. However, the
possibility with Emacs is infinite, it is infinitely customizable and is
cross-platform.

> I use Notepad++ to create web pages, the lines are coloured according
> to their value/meaning, which is a common feature in many such text
> editors

There are quite a few major-modes for Emacs to suite your liking.

> But what I like above all, is the possibility to make the same change
> in more than one page at the same time (ctrl+H : make changes in all
> opened pages),

In Emacs use "moccur-edit".

> save all opened pages

The equivalent keys in Emacs is C-x s.

> and the possibility to open the browser directly from Notepad++ to see
> what the page looks like.

No problem in all the html modes. You can also open any url with
"browse-url".

Charles

--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"

Re: Notepad++

Charles philip Chan
Anton Aylward <[hidden email]>
writes:

> I've long since given up on editing HTML.  Instead I use one of the
> markup languages that will generate correct and error free html from
> plain text input.

Some here. I use org-mode[1] under Emacs with a bit of css magic.

Footnotes:
[1] http://orgmode.org/

--
"World domination.  Fast"
(By Linus Torvalds)

Re: Notepad++

Peter Nikolic
On Saturday 12 February 2011 22:51:51 lynn wrote:

> On Saturday 12 Feb 2011 18:57:16 you wrote:
> > Dear Lynn,
> >
> > unless I misunderstand your short answer to my query (which is
> > possible), I really don't understand why so many Linux enthusiasts are
> > so touchy.
> >
> > I'll give you that my phrasing *may* have been a bit clumsy, but I
> > *am* using a Linux distribution, aren't I?
>
> Don't know what to suggest. Use joe?
>
> L x
+1

Pete .

--
Powered by openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel: 2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop
KDE Development Platform: 4.5.5 (KDE 4.5.5) "release 1"

Re: Notepad++

David C. Rankin
On 02/12/2011 09:02 AM, Gilles SICHE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Notepad++ is a brilliant text editor for Windows, is there a version
> of this program with the same features for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gilles Siche

kde3 - kate

or

kde4 - kate

(kwrite is the same for a single document interface)

I use notepad++ on windows, and I can tell you, while it is good, kate blows it
away :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.