No sound in 12.2

James Knott
I no longer have sound on my computer, since upgrading to openSUSE
12.2.  According to Yast Sound Configuration, I have the sound built in
on my Asus motherboard and it uses the snd-intel8x0 driver. However,
according to the mixer Sound and Video Configuration, there is no sound
card.  Lsmod shows "snd_pcm               109282  3
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss".

Any idea how I can get sound going?  This is the first time in many
years that I haven't had sound working.

tnx jk

Re: No sound in 12.2

Saulteau Don
On September 19, 2012 12:50:10 James Knott wrote:

> I no longer have sound on my computer, since upgrading to openSUSE
> 12.2.  According to Yast Sound Configuration, I have the sound built in
> on my Asus motherboard and it uses the snd-intel8x0 driver. However,
> according to the mixer Sound and Video Configuration, there is no sound
> card.  Lsmod shows "snd_pcm               109282  3
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss".
>
> Any idea how I can get sound going?  This is the first time in many
> years that I haven't had sound working.
>
> tnx jk

What channels do you see in kmix?

Click on the sound icon in the bottom right of your screen and click Mixer.
Go up to Settings and click Configure Channels.

On the left hand pane, look for PCM and drag it to the right hand pane, then
turn it up to 100%.

Turn the Master channel to low and slowly turn it up checking to see if audio
can be heard.

Does that work?

I had this same issue and found that my PCM channel would not output audio
unless I turned it up.

Re: No sound in 12.2

Bruce Ferrell
On 09/19/2012 10:27 AM, indigenis wrote:

> On September 19, 2012 12:50:10 James Knott wrote:
>> I no longer have sound on my computer, since upgrading to openSUSE
>> 12.2.  According to Yast Sound Configuration, I have the sound built in
>> on my Asus motherboard and it uses the snd-intel8x0 driver. However,
>> according to the mixer Sound and Video Configuration, there is no sound
>> card.  Lsmod shows "snd_pcm               109282  3
>> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss".
>>
>> Any idea how I can get sound going?  This is the first time in many
>> years that I haven't had sound working.
>>
>> tnx jk
> What channels do you see in kmix?
>
> Click on the sound icon in the bottom right of your screen and click Mixer.
> Go up to Settings and click Configure Channels.
>
> On the left hand pane, look for PCM and drag it to the right hand pane, then
> turn it up to 100%.
>
> Turn the Master channel to low and slowly turn it up checking to see if audio
> can be heard.
>
> Does that work?
>
> I had this same issue and found that my PCM channel would not output audio
> unless I turned it up.

Also check the permissions on /dev/snd.  for some reason, on my installation, the perms/ownership is root.root 744 and this does not allow soud to work for anyone other than root

Re: No sound in 12.2

James Knott
indigenis wrote:

> On September 19, 2012 12:50:10 James Knott wrote:
>> I no longer have sound on my computer, since upgrading to openSUSE
>> 12.2.  According to Yast Sound Configuration, I have the sound built in
>> on my Asus motherboard and it uses the snd-intel8x0 driver. However,
>> according to the mixer Sound and Video Configuration, there is no sound
>> card.  Lsmod shows "snd_pcm               109282  3
>> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss".
>>
>> Any idea how I can get sound going?  This is the first time in many
>> years that I haven't had sound working.
>>
>> tnx jk
> What channels do you see in kmix?
>
> Click on the sound icon in the bottom right of your screen and click Mixer.
> Go up to Settings and click Configure Channels.

There is no "Configure Channels".  Under "Select Master Channel", it
shows "Dummy Channel".  In contrast, the same setting on my notebook
computer shows "Internal Audio Analog Stereo".

> On the left hand pane, look for PCM and drag it to the right hand pane, then
> turn it up to 100%.
>
> Turn the Master channel to low and slowly turn it up checking to see if audio
> can be heard.
>
> Does that work?
>
> I had this same issue and found that my PCM channel would not output audio
> unless I turned it up.

As I mentioned, it doesn't even show a sound card as available.

Re: No sound in 12.2

James Knott
Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> Also check the permissions on /dev/snd.  for some reason, on my
> installation, the perms/ownership is root.root 744 and this does not
> allow soud to work for anyone other than root

$ ls /dev/snd -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       60 Sep 18 10:37 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  8 Sep 18 10:37 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  3 Sep 18 10:37 controlC1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  2 Sep 18 10:37 midiC1D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  7 Sep 18 10:37 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  6 Sep 18 10:37 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  5 Sep 18 10:37 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  4 Sep 18 10:37 pcmC0D2p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 Sep 18 10:37 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Sep 18 10:37 timer

Re: No sound in 12.2

Saulteau Don
On September 19, 2012 14:08:18 James Knott wrote:

> indigenis wrote:
> > On September 19, 2012 12:50:10 James Knott wrote:
> >> I no longer have sound on my computer, since upgrading to openSUSE
> >> 12.2.  According to Yast Sound Configuration, I have the sound built in
> >> on my Asus motherboard and it uses the snd-intel8x0 driver. However,
> >> according to the mixer Sound and Video Configuration, there is no sound
> >> card.  Lsmod shows "snd_pcm               109282  3
> >> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss".
> >>
> >> Any idea how I can get sound going?  This is the first time in many
> >> years that I haven't had sound working.
> >>
> >> tnx jk
> >
> > What channels do you see in kmix?
> >
> > Click on the sound icon in the bottom right of your screen and click
> > Mixer.
> > Go up to Settings and click Configure Channels.
>
> There is no "Configure Channels".  Under "Select Master Channel", it
> shows "Dummy Channel".  In contrast, the same setting on my notebook
> computer shows "Internal Audio Analog Stereo".
>
> > On the left hand pane, look for PCM and drag it to the right hand pane,
> > then turn it up to 100%.
> >
> > Turn the Master channel to low and slowly turn it up checking to see if
> > audio can be heard.
> >
> > Does that work?
> >
> > I had this same issue and found that my PCM channel would not output audio
> > unless I turned it up.
>
> As I mentioned, it doesn't even show a sound card as available.

What happens if you add your user to the "audio" group then restart or
logout/login.

Re: No sound in 12.2

James Knott
indigenis wrote:
> What happens if you add your user to the "audio" group then restart or
> logout/login.

I have 2 computers here.  One is a desktop and one a notebook. Neither
has users as members of audio group, but the sound works fine on the
notebook.  It also shows a real device and not "Dummy Output".  This
looks more like 12.2 is not recognizing the hardware than anything else.

Re: No sound in 12.2

Dennis Gallien
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 04:28 PM James Knott wrote:

> I have 2 computers here.  One is a desktop and one a notebook. Neither
> has users as members of audio group, but the sound works fine on the
> notebook.  It also shows a real device and not "Dummy Output".  This
> looks more like 12.2 is not recognizing the hardware than anything else.

Didn't you post that YaST sees the device?  And the kernel is seeing it and

I seem to recall a somewhat recent thread where the problem was the module
configuration, and once the correct parameter was supplied in YaST, it worked.
The OP had to research to find that (maybe the ALSA site?).

Sorry I don't remember more.

Re: No sound in 12.2

James Knott
Dennis Gallien wrote:
> Didn't you post that YaST sees the device?  And the kernel is seeing it and
>
> I seem to recall a somewhat recent thread where the problem was the module
> configuration, and once the correct parameter was supplied in YaST, it worked.
> The OP had to research to find that (maybe the ALSA site?).

Yes, as far as I can tell, Yast sees it and the module is loaded. But
wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in
12.2?

Re: No sound in 12.2

Bruce Ferrell
On 09/19/2012 01:50 PM, James Knott wrote:
> Dennis Gallien wrote:
>> Didn't you post that YaST sees the device?  And the kernel is seeing it and
>>
>> I seem to recall a somewhat recent thread where the problem was the module
>> configuration, and once the correct parameter was supplied in YaST, it worked.
>> The OP had to research to find that (maybe the ALSA site?).
>
> Yes, as far as I can tell, Yast sees it and the module is loaded. But wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in 12.2?
Yast able to see the device and play the test sound (you didn't mention that but I'm presuming that works) is an indication the device is present and that root is able to access
it/them... Leading back to permissions.  I *think* udev is responsible for setting up device permissions as they are added and users log in and out... Probably wrong about that
last part.

I'm seeing quite a few "issues" with device permissions in 12.2 /dev/sr0 not accessible by normal users etc, and now sound

Re: No sound in 12.2

Dennis Gallien
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 04:50 PM James Knott wrote:

> Dennis Gallien wrote:
> > Didn't you post that YaST sees the device?  And the kernel is seeing it
> > and loading modules?
> >
> > I seem to recall a somewhat recent thread where the problem was the
> > module configuration, and once the correct parameter was supplied in
> > YaST, it worked. The OP had to research to find that (maybe the ALSA
> > site?).
>
> Yes, as far as I can tell, Yast sees it and the module is loaded. But
> wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in
> 12.2?

I am a lightweight in this area, but I had thought that ALSA provides the
drivers and that PA was an interface layer.

Re: No sound in 12.2

Philipp Thomas-3
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:50:58 -0400, James Knott
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in
>12.2?

Had you read the desciption on
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page you would have
seen that ALSA is still needed. ALSA provides the sound architecture ,
i.e. drivers and a user space library while PA provides application
specific mixers that allow you to configure per application where the
sound is output and so on.

Philipp

Re: No sound in 12.2

Dennis Gallien
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 06:14 PM Philipp Thomas wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:50:58 -0400, James Knott
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in
> >12.2?
>
> Had you read the desciption on
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page you would have
> seen that ALSA is still needed. ALSA provides the sound architecture ,
> i.e. drivers and a user space library while PA provides application
> specific mixers that allow you to configure per application where the
> sound is output and so on.
>
> Philipp

So can PA be disabled in 12.2 as in previous versions?

James, if so, then that may be your solution.

Re: No sound in 12.2

Duaine Hechler
On 09/19/2012 05:25 PM, Dennis Gallien wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 06:14 PM Philipp Thomas wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:50:58 -0400, James Knott
>>
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in
>>> 12.2?
>> Had you read the desciption on
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page you would have
>> seen that ALSA is still needed. ALSA provides the sound architecture ,
>> i.e. drivers and a user space library while PA provides application
>> specific mixers that allow you to configure per application where the
>> sound is output and so on.
>>
>> Philipp
> So can PA be disabled in 12.2 as in previous versions?
>
> James, if so, then that may be your solution.
In order to get my Intel driver (snd-hda-intel) to consistently work under 12.1, was to force define a "model".

The card defaulted to reading the BIOS and setting the model to "auto" - I had to hard code the model=3stack-6ch-dig -
as well as uninstall PA.

This could be the key to getting 12.2 to work.

ALC882/883/885/888/889
======================
*Used = model = 3stack-6ch-dig    (3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O)*
   3stack-dig    3-jack with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig    6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
   arima        Arima W820Di1
   targa        Targa T8, MSI-1049 T8
   asus-a7j    ASUS A7J
   asus-a7m    ASUS A7M
   macpro    MacPro support
   mb5        Macbook 5,1
   macmini3    Macmini 3,1
   mba21        Macbook Air 2,1
   mbp3        Macbook Pro rev3
   imac24    iMac 24'' with jack detection
   imac91    iMac 9,1
   w2jc        ASUS W2JC
   3stack-2ch-dig    3-jack with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
   alc883-6stack-dig    6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
   3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
   3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
   acer        Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
   acer-aspire    Acer Aspire 9810
   acer-aspire-4930g Acer Aspire 4930G
   acer-aspire-6530g Acer Aspire 6530G
   acer-aspire-7730g Acer Aspire 7730G
   acer-aspire-8930g Acer Aspire 8930G
   medion    Medion Laptops
   targa-dig    Targa/MSI
   targa-2ch-dig    Targa/MSI with 2-channel
   targa-8ch-dig Targa/MSI with 8-channel (MSI GX620)
   laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
   lenovo-101e    Lenovo 101E
   lenovo-nb0763    Lenovo NB0763
   lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
   lenovo-sky    Lenovo Sky
   haier-w66    Haier W66
   3stack-hp    HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
   6stack-dell    Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
   mitac        Mitac 8252D
   clevo-m540r    Clevo M540R (6ch + digital)
   clevo-m720    Clevo M720 laptop series
   fujitsu-pi2515 Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
   fujitsu-xa3530 Fujitsu AMILO XA3530
   3stack-6ch-intel Intel DG33* boards
   intel-alc889a    Intel IbexPeak with ALC889A
   intel-x58    Intel DX58 with ALC889
   asus-p5q    ASUS P5Q-EM boards
   mb31        MacBook 3,1
   sony-vaio-tt  Sony VAIO TT
   auto        auto-config reading BIOS (default)

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ

Re: No sound in 12.2

Robin Klitscher-2
On 20/09/12 10:25, Dennis Gallien wrote:

> So can PA be disabled in 12.2 as in previous versions?
>
> James, if so, then that may be your solution.

I've had endless and inconsistent difficulties with Pulse Audio on this
machine, over several generations of openSUSE.  This was so both with
the onboard Intel sound chip and, latterly, a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium
PCI card.

In frustration in 12.1 I uninstalled everything to do with Pulse Audio
that I could find; and in installing 12.2 a couple of weeks ago I
deselected every instance of it.  In both cases the fallback to alsa
works just fine.

Having said that, an rpm grep on pulse reveals that there are still four
remnants in the system that can't be got rid of because of dependencies.
 They are

libxine2-pulse-1.2.2-78.1.x86_64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-1.1-6.1.2.x86_64
libpulse0-1.1-6.1.2.x86_64
libpulse0-32bit-1.1-6.1.2.x86_64

but, functionally at least, they don't seem to matter.

--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"

Re: No sound in 12.2

James Knott
Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> Yast able to see the device and play the test sound (you didn't
> mention that but I'm presuming that works) is an indication the device
> is present and that root is able to access it/them... Leading back to
> permissions.  I *think* udev is responsible for setting up device
> permissions as they are added and users log in and out... Probably
> wrong about that last part.

Yes, I can play the test sound in Yast.  Also, I just tried logging in
as root and can play music.  The mixer setting show internal audio as
well, instead of dummy output.  So, it's definitely permissions, but where?

Dennis Gallien wrote:
>> Yes, as far as I can tell, Yast sees it and the module is loaded. But
>> >wasn't Alsa in previous openSUSE versions and dropped for PulseAudio in
>> >12.2?
> I am a lightweight in this area, but I had thought that ALSA provides the
> drivers and that PA was an interface layer.

It's also out of my area of expertise, but I thought I read something
along those lines here.

Re: No sound in 12.2

James Knott
Duaine Hechler wrote:
> In order to get my Intel driver (snd-hda-intel) to consistently work
> under 12.1, was to force define a "model".
>
> The card defaulted to reading the BIOS and setting the model to "auto"
> - I had to hard code the model=3stack-6ch-dig - as well as uninstall PA.
>
> This could be the key to getting 12.2 to work.

Sound works when logged in as root, so it appears to be a permissions
problem.

Re: No sound in 12.2

Philipp Thomas-3
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:25:02 -0400, Dennis Gallien
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>So can PA be disabled in 12.2 as in previous versions?

Why, in most cases I encountered PA wasn't realy the culprit. And
without PA you loose things like application specific volume.

Philipp

Re: No sound in 12.2

Dennis Gallien
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:13 AM Philipp Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:25:02 -0400, Dennis Gallien
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >So can PA be disabled in 12.2 as in previous versions?
>
> Why, in most cases I encountered PA wasn't realy the culprit. And
> without PA you loose things like application specific volume.
>
> Philipp

But there have been *many* reports from users having problems with PA, at
least in past releases.