No microphone w/ Intel ICH7 82801G chipset?

No microphone w/ Intel ICH7 82801G chipset?

stephan beal
Hello, Susers (Susians? Susies?)!

i just accepted a job where i will be doing software development for
Windows CE devices (GPS devices, mainly). As the work is 100% from
home, and i haven't had a PC with Windows since 5+ years, i had to go
buy a PC with Windows on it (i wasn't about to nuke/rearrange my Linux
installations). Of course, the first thing i did with the PC was to
nuke the 2nd factory-installed vfat partition and slap Suse 10.1 on it.
Strangely enough, the devices that worked in Windows didn't work in
Suse, and vice versa. After a full two days of tinkering with the
system, everything works except the the damned microphone. i've googled
and prayed and stood on my head (and sang the national anthem...
backwards, as one of you suggested a few weeks ago), and still no luck.

It seems that the Intel ICH7 82801G sound chipset driver for Linux does
not support the microphone properly. For example, with kmix, i cannot
use the "set as input source" option for the mic, only for the
"capture" input device (whatever that is). No amount of tinkering has
given me a working microphone. Many users report that they can't even
change the volume, but at least i haven't had that problem.

Is anyone here aware of a workaround for this problem? One site said to
tell the OS that it's really an intel8x0 chipset, but when i do that
(with a module alias) sound doesn't work at all.

The only reason in the world which i need a mic is so that i can use
Skype voice. Aside from that, i wouldn't give a damn (nor would i have
noticed) that the mic isn't working.

Of course, the mic works under Windows, so i know the hardware is okay.

Hardware Info:

Acer 9411AWSMi laptop
Intel Core Duo T2050 1.6GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM
Intel 950 graphics chipset
etc, etc, (all pretty standard stuff)

Kernel is:

Linux ludo 2.6.16.21-0.13-smp #1 SMP Mon Jul 17 17:22:44 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Sound modules are:
snd_pcm_oss            47104  0
snd_mixer_oss          20224  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq                53104  0
snd_seq_device         11916  1 snd_seq
snd_hda_intel          21652  2
snd_hda_codec         139136  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                86532  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              25860  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    56708  12
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              13024  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         13576  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

The snd_hda_intel module is the problematic one, as far as i have been
able to determine.

PS:

For anyone else who has this machine: you can get the internal NIC
working by downloading the r1000 driver from Realtek, fixing the driver
code (r1000_n.c) to accommodate (a) a change in recent kernels and (b)
a typo in the sources which apparently wasn't tested under 2.6 kernels,
fixing a slightly broken Makefile, and doing 'make modules; make
install':

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?keyword=8168

The source code/Makefile changes are mentioned here:
http://suseforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t20483.html

Suse doesn't yet ship with the r1000 driver.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: No microphone w/ Intel ICH7 82801G chipset?

C. Brouerius van Nidek-2
On Monday 07 August 2006 17:18, stephan beal wrote:

> Hello, Susers (Susians? Susies?)!
>
> i just accepted a job where i will be doing software development for
> Windows CE devices (GPS devices, mainly). As the work is 100% from
> home, and i haven't had a PC with Windows since 5+ years, i had to go
> buy a PC with Windows on it (i wasn't about to nuke/rearrange my Linux
> installations). Of course, the first thing i did with the PC was to
> nuke the 2nd factory-installed vfat partition and slap Suse 10.1 on it.
> Strangely enough, the devices that worked in Windows didn't work in
> Suse, and vice versa. After a full two days of tinkering with the
> system, everything works except the the damned microphone. i've googled
> and prayed and stood on my head (and sang the national anthem...
> backwards, as one of you suggested a few weeks ago), and still no luck.
>
> It seems that the Intel ICH7 82801G sound chipset driver for Linux does
> not support the microphone properly. For example, with kmix, i cannot
> use the "set as input source" option for the mic, only for the
> "capture" input device (whatever that is). No amount of tinkering has
> given me a working microphone. Many users report that they can't even
> change the volume, but at least i haven't had that problem.
>
> Is anyone here aware of a workaround for this problem? One site said to
> tell the OS that it's really an intel8x0 chipset, but when i do that
> (with a module alias) sound doesn't work at all.
>
> The only reason in the world which i need a mic is so that i can use
> Skype voice. Aside from that, i wouldn't give a damn (nor would i have
> noticed) that the mic isn't working.

One thing for sure. The Skype 1.2 version is a big problem as such. Suggest to
get the 1.3 beta. It solved my sound problems.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

On Monday 07 August 2006 13:05, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> One thing for sure. The Skype 1.2 version is a big problem as such.
> Suggest to get the 1.3 beta. It solved my sound problems.

i should have mentioned: i'm using 1.3beta. The problem isn't skype, but
the sound driver's microphone support. Since skype 1.3 allows selection
of the audio device, i've tested it with ALSA and OSS (/dev/dsp), but
the same results. Skype 1.2 only supports direct access to /dev/dsp,
which is problematic under KDE (it can be made to work, but all other
sounds won't work while it's got the device).

In any case, skype isn't the problem but skype is the reason i want my
microphone to work.