No audio equalizer for linux?

Stan Goodman-3
As my query about an available software audio equalizer has not been
answered in several weeks, I conclude that such a program does not exist.
As hard has this is to believe, I accept it. But now, I am curious about
the reason for this lack.

I understand that the Linux philosophy is strong on modularity, and this
is reasonable, and would be even wise if it developers would act
accordingly. It would mean that e.g. the designer of an audio player need
trouble himself to code nothing but "the engine room" of his application,
plus perhaps a GUI, and sooner or later someone else will come along and
provide such auxiliaries as a level control (fortunately, Real Player has
one built in, and there is even a global level control in the form of
Kmix). Yet, many moons after Linux became a major OS, there is, as far as
I have been able to find from web searches, no equalizer. So developers
have avoided the bother of providing internal equalizers, and have also
failed to make available a global module for the purpose. The philosophy
cannot be said to actually work in this case.

Happily, the developers of Amarok have had the sense to note the weakness
of the rigid modular philosophy, and to provide an internal equalizer, in
addition to several other things they could have left out had they wanted
to do so, but that doesn't help one to adjust the frequency
characteristics of audio streams. That Amarok has everything it needs
internally is exactly what makes it so useful.

So, at the moment, the only solution I see for bridging the gap between
the one-size-fits-all audio characteristics provided by streams on the
one hand, and those of my aging ears on the other, is a hardware
preamplifier. Personally, I think that is an absurdity, if not a scandal.

If someone can tell me why this lack still exists, that would satisfy by
curiosity. If someone also knows of a software solution, I would be very
grateful to learn what it is.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

JB2-2
On 29 July 08, Stan Goodman wrote:

> As my query about an available software audio equalizer has not been
> answered in several weeks, I conclude that such a program does not exist.
> As hard has this is to believe, I accept it. But now, I am curious about
> the reason for this lack.

  <snip>

  xmms has one built in and works well.

--
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright

Patrick Henry, during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Stan Goodman-3
At 04:36:33 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, JB2
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 29 July 08, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > As my query about an available software audio equalizer has not been
> > answered in several weeks, I conclude that such a program does not
> > exist. As hard has this is to believe, I accept it. But now, I am
> > curious about the reason for this lack.
>
>   <snip>
>
>   xmms has one built in and works well.

What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer. MPlayer,
because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have one.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Rajko M.
On Wednesday 30 July 2008 10:54:37 am Stan Goodman wrote:
> What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer. MPlayer,
> because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have one.

This is result of search for ALSA equalizer
It is very young (ver0.0.2)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alsa-eq-plugin/
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=177844

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Scott Jones-6
On Wednesday 30 July 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:

> >   xmms has one built in and works well.
>
> What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer. MPlayer,
> because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have one.

MPlayer has an equalizer, as well.

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Stan Goodman-3
At 21:04:00 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, Scott Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > >   xmms has one built in and works well.
> >
> > What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer.
> > MPlayer, because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have
> > one.
>
> MPlayer has an equalizer, as well.

Even as I write, I am listening to streamed "Internet Radio" using the
MPlayer plugin. If there is an equalizer there, I don't see it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Stan Goodman-3
At 19:31:36 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, "Rajko M."
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 10:54:37 am Stan Goodman wrote:
>
> > What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer.
> > MPlayer, because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have
> > one.
>
> This is result of search for ALSA equalizer
> It is very young (ver0.0.2)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/alsa-eq-plugin/
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=177844

I've downloaded it and will try it. Thanks.

It is an alpha, there is no documentation of any sort (perhaps there is
something in the archive, which I have not yet opened) and the Task list
is empty. There are no messages in the two public forums provided, and no
support is offered, though the project is two years old. I would be
willing to predict that there will never be a beta or even a 0.3 release.
But I will be very happy if it performs its task semi-adequately, and
will report if that turns out to be the case, for the information of
anybody else who would like to have some kind of control over his sound
quality (I can't believe that I am the only one).

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Scott Jones-6
On Wednesday 30 July 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:

> At 21:04:00 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, Scott Jones
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer.
> > > MPlayer, because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have
> > > one.
> >
> > MPlayer has an equalizer, as well.
>
> Even as I write, I am listening to streamed "Internet Radio" using the
> MPlayer plugin. If there is an equalizer there, I don't see it.

MPlayer itself does.  The plugin, which you didn't mention previously, does
not due to the fact that it's a wrapper around the CLI mplayer, which has no
graphic equalizer.

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 03:35:01 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 19:31:36 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, "Rajko M."

> I've downloaded it and will try it. Thanks.
>
> It is an alpha, there is no documentation of any sort (perhaps there is
> something in the archive, which I have not yet opened) and the Task list
> is empty. There are no messages in the two public forums provided, and no
> support is offered, though the project is two years old. I would be
> willing to predict that there will never be a beta or even a 0.3 release.
> But I will be very happy if it performs its task semi-adequately, and
> will report if that turns out to be the case, for the information of
> anybody else who would like to have some kind of control over his sound
> quality (I can't believe that I am the only one).

I should check it before posting the link.
It seems that is abandoned by main actor^W developer.
See TODO. It sounds strange for open source.

It is 3 band. Too little for any effort, IMHO.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Stan Goodman-3
At 00:25:07 on Thursday Thursday 31 July 2008, "Rajko M."
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 03:35:01 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
> > At 19:31:36 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, "Rajko M."

> > I've downloaded it and will try it. Thanks.
> >
> > It is an alpha, there is no documentation of any sort (perhaps there
> > is something in the archive, which I have not yet opened) and the
> > Task list is empty. There are no messages in the two public forums
> > provided, and no support is offered, though the project is two years
> > old. I would be willing to predict that there will never be a beta or
> > even a 0.3 release. But I will be very happy if it performs its task
> > semi-adequately, and will report if that turns out to be the case,
> > for the information of anybody else who would like to have some kind
> > of control over his sound quality (I can't believe that I am the only
> > one).
>
> I should check it before posting the link.
> It seems that is abandoned by main actor^W developer.
> See TODO. It sounds strange for open source.
>
> It is 3 band. Too little for any effort, IMHO.

You are probably right.

I am still trying to figure out what it is that drives Linux developers.
What seems clear is that it is not a desire to provide useful software.

Sad.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Stan Goodman <[hidden email]> [07-30-08 18:51]:

> I am still trying to figure out what it is that drives Linux developers.
> What seems clear is that it is not a desire to provide useful software.
>
> Sad.

Sad is your effort to impose your desires on those who provide their
efforts w/o renumeration, and, at least in this particular instance,
any appreciation.  That is the tone of your post!

--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 05:42:27 pm Stan Goodman wrote:

> > I should check it before posting the link.
> > It seems that is abandoned by main actor^W developer.
> > See TODO. It sounds strange for open source.
> >
> > It is 3 band. Too little for any effort, IMHO.
>
> You are probably right.
>
> I am still trying to figure out what it is that drives Linux developers.
> What seems clear is that it is not a desire to provide useful software.

'Useful software' is undefined expression, just as it is word 'useful',
without specifying the purpose it relates to.

Hammer is not useful to type on the keyboard, but it is very useful to put
nails in the panel.
Light hammer is not useful for large nails, and big for small.
Carpenter hammer is not handy for stonemason.
And list can go on, only for hammers.

Usual way is to ask for functionality and if someone has time and interest
they will pick up.
ALSA might be one place to go. JackLab the other.
See http://en.opensuse.org/JackLab and http://en.opensuse.org/ALSA for start.

Linux is not development with central planning. Many times different instances
expressed surprise how much of good software was developed in that way.
<rant>
So far I recall, nobody was surprised how much bad software was developed
despite central planning and market research.
</rant>

On 30 July 08, Stan Goodman wrote:

> At 21:04:00 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 July 2008, Scott Jones
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > What I really want is an equalizer that will work with MPlayer.
> > > MPlayer, because it is playing by the modularity rules, doesn't have
> > > one.
> >
> > MPlayer has an equalizer, as well.
>
> Even as I write, I am listening to streamed "Internet Radio" using the
> MPlayer plugin. If there is an equalizer there, I don't see it.
  You mean this? (This is the mplayer I downloaded or installed for 10.3,
just 'right-click' on the controller thing, not the movie watching window,
and it's down a little past the middle of the menu)

--
The Second Amendment ain't about duck hunting! Screw you Obama!

mplayer_equalizer.jpg (128K) Download Attachment

[OT] Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Stan Goodman-3
At 02:46:24 on Thursday Thursday 31 July 2008, Patrick Shanahan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Stan Goodman <[hidden email]> [07-30-08 18:51]:
> > I am still trying to figure out what it is that drives Linux
> > developers. What seems clear is that it is not a desire to provide
> > useful software.
> >
> > Sad.
>
> Sad is your effort to impose your desires on those who provide their
> efforts w/o renumeration, and, at least in this particular instance,
> any appreciation.  That is the tone of your post!

I can't impose anything, and I have no illusions about that. I didn't
realize that criticism is prohibited. Perhaps doing a half-job and
ignoring documentation is the right way to go after all.

Linux, by the way, is not the only OS in which developers produce software
without remuneration. Having used OS/2 for many years, I confess that I
am seriously spoiled.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

john ffitch

 Stan> I am still trying to figure out what it is that drives Linux developers.
 Stan> What seems clear is that it is not a desire to provide useful software.

Why do I resent that remark?  Could it be because of all the hours I
have spent writing, maintaining, supporting and documenting Linux
audio software?  Or the disparity with the feedback?  Or the fact that
I use the software I write?

==John ffitch

Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Kurt Wall
On Wednesday 30 July 2008 18:15:58 Rajko M. wrote:
> <rant>
> So far I recall, nobody was surprised how much bad software was
> developed despite central planning and market research.
> </rant>

Rather, it continues to astonish me that

* So much shoddy software continues to be produced (and consumed) after
a great deal of market research and ample central planning.
* With minimal market research and central planning, Linux has grown and
thrived.

Kurt

Re: [OT] Re: No audio equalizer for linux?

Rajko M.
On Thursday 31 July 2008 01:07:22 am Stan Goodman wrote:

> Having used OS/2 for many years, I confess that I
> am seriously spoiled.

Yes, you are ;-)

I was looking for patches for timidity, MIDI to wav converter, using YaST.
With many results that are related to GNU/patch program, browsing the list
wasn't easy, and I started to think what other keyword might give lesser
false hits. One word that came in mind that doesn't fit in above scenario
was 'equalizer', but it reminded me on your question.

Here is result for 'equal'
jackEQ - JACK Equalization Tool for Live Performance

jackEQ is a tool for routing and manipulating audio from and to multiple
input/output sources. It runs in the JACK Audio Connection Kit and uses
LADSPA for its back-end DSP work. jackEQ is designed specifically for live
performance.

It is nice to be lazy, sometimes, because there is no hits with 'equalizer',
not with Description field enabled. The 'equaliz' will give jackEQ alone.

I just installed it and it will not run without 'jackd'.
  jackd --help
will give options. I selected:
  jackd -d alsa&
and than run
  jackeq&

All is done per user. I could not use 'jackd' from another user.

I whish you fun playing with equalizer.