New user/group for jenkins

Sascha Peilicke-4
Dear magic pony,

please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
:-)
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:15:18PM +0200, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> Dear magic pony,
>
> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
> :-)

Read the documentation on how to use useradd and groupadd in %post?

Ciao, Marcus

On Thursday 11 August 2011 13:40:44 you wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:15:18PM +0200, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > Dear magic pony,
> >
> > please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package
> > 'jenkins'
> >
> > :-)
>
> Read the documentation on how to use useradd and groupadd in %post?
That's not the point, rpmlint (rightfully) complains afterwards, that this
group/user (added thru %post) isn't part of some global whitelist.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Michal Marek
On 11.8.2011 13:15, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> Dear magic pony,
>
> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'

Is it a good idea to use English surnames for system accounts? :)

Michal

Re: Re: New user/group for jenkins

Yamaban
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:40, Marcus Meissner <meissner@...> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:15:18PM +0200, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>> Dear magic pony,
>>
>> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
>
> Read the documentation on how to use useradd and groupadd in %post?

Not to out myself as dumb (I'm uninformed, not dumb), but would it be
better to do the useradd and groupadd in %preinst ? otherwise, just how
would the filesystem / kernel determinate the needed numeric values for
uid/gid during the %install of the files / directories?

I'm asking here to clear this up before something inherently false is
propagated as "correct" way without any thought on the consequences.

Cheers, Yamaban.

Re: Re: Re: New user/group for jenkins

Sascha Peilicke-4
On Thursday 11 August 2011 14:29:13 Yamaban wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:40, Marcus Meissner <meissner@...> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:15:18PM +0200, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> >> Dear magic pony,
> >>
> >> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package
> >> 'jenkins'
> >
> > Read the documentation on how to use useradd and groupadd in %post?
>
> Not to out myself as dumb (I'm uninformed, not dumb), but would it be
> better to do the useradd and groupadd in %preinst ? otherwise, just how
> would the filesystem / kernel determinate the needed numeric values for
> uid/gid during the %install of the files / directories?
>
> I'm asking here to clear this up before something inherently false is
> propagated as "correct" way without any thought on the consequences.
Uhm, I meant %pre, not %post. Thanks for the correction.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Richard Biener
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Michal Marek wrote:

> On 11.8.2011 13:15, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > Dear magic pony,
> >
> > please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
>
> Is it a good idea to use English surnames for system accounts? :)

Sure not.  Rightfully Mr. Jenkins will complain about such a change!

Namespaces should be properly separated.  Like by a '_' prefix maybe?

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <[hidden email]>
Novell / SUSE Labs
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nuernberg - AG Nuernberg - HRB 16746
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Johannes Meixner

Hello,

On Aug 11 16:40 Richard Guenther wrote (excerpt):
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Michal Marek wrote:
>> On 11.8.2011 13:15, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>>> Dear magic pony,
>>>
>>> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
>>
>> Is it a good idea to use English surnames for system accounts? :)
>
> Sure not.  Rightfully Mr. Jenkins will complain about such a change!

Hopefully none of the Mr. and Ms. Root will rightfully complain, e.g.:
Amanda Root, Billy Root, James Root, Stephen Root, Wayne Allyn Root.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Kyrill Detinov

Thursday 11 August 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:57:35 +0200 (CEST) Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hopefully none of the Mr. and Ms. Root will rightfully complain,
> e.g.: Amanda Root, Billy Root, James Root, Stephen Root, Wayne Allyn
> Root.

His name is Charlie.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-September/098372.html

--
WBR
 Kyrill

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Peter Linnell-2
On 08/11/2011 07:40 AM, Richard Guenther wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Michal Marek wrote:
>
>> On 11.8.2011 13:15, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>>> Dear magic pony,
>>>
>>> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
>>
>> Is it a good idea to use English surnames for system accounts? :)
>
> Sure not.  Rightfully Mr. Jenkins will complain about such a change!
>
> Namespaces should be properly separated.  Like by a '_' prefix maybe?
>
> Richard.

In reality, this is for http://jenkins-ci.org/

Sascha and I have briefly discussed getting this packaged properly on
OBS, as it is the successor to Hudson.

Its an excellent tool and one of my colleagues at work here is one of
the lead maintainers. At some point, he hopes to create an OBS plugin to
enable them to work together.  I can see how they complement each other
and also will allow OBS code itself to receive continuous unit testing
for each commit.

We use Jenkins here extensively at work and it's very definitely
something I hope is part of 12.1 and optionally SLES.

So, how does one get this new system user white listed for rpmlint and
the distro?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Michael Matz

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> On Aug 11 16:40 Richard Guenther wrote (excerpt):

> > > Is it a good idea to use English surnames for system accounts? :)
> >
> > Sure not.  Rightfully Mr. Jenkins will complain about such a change!
>
> Hopefully none of the Mr. and Ms. Root will rightfully complain, e.g.:
> Amanda Root, Billy Root, James Root, Stephen Root, Wayne Allyn Root.

Surely you don't want to make the point that past mistakes are an excuse
for repeating them?  But then, what is your point?

Ciao,
Michael.

Re: New user/group for jenkins

Ludwig Nussel
Richard Guenther wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Michal Marek wrote:
>> On 11.8.2011 13:15, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>>> Dear magic pony,
>>>
>>> please create a new user 'jenkins' and group 'jenkins' for package 'jenkins'
>>
>> Is it a good idea to use English surnames for system accounts? :)
>
> Sure not.  Rightfully Mr. Jenkins will complain about such a change!
>
> Namespaces should be properly separated.  Like by a '_' prefix maybe?

Having the same namespace for system and user accounts concerns me
too. In theory we could come up with a packaging policy to enforce a
special prefix on system user names of new packages.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel