New laptop question

TobyEggitt
Hi all,

Well, my laptop just died, probably fixable and under (extended) warranty so it's not the end of the world, but... Aha, there's always a "but"... It won't be fixed for a while, and I have to have a machine for a contract starting Monday. So, I think I'll have to buy a new one. So this, I guess, is a dreaded "hardware compatibility" question. I've noticed that this is not really the issue that it was years ago, but I still like to ask.

I'm considering a machine with an  "AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 Processor" is there any reason that wouldn't be a good idea? I'd like to take advantage of the 64 bit nature of this (and tend to run heavy Java aplications/application servers, JBoss etc.) and I'm assuming that the 64bit version of opensuse will do that?

Also, does anyone know if there are any significant issues with HP laptops from a peripherals perspective? This is the one I'm planning to get:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341390&pfp=nov5

The other possibility is a Toshiba (I'm looking for physical build quality, and Tosh and HP seem to have the reputation from that perspective), but Tosh don't do AMD processors so far as I can see, and I prefer to support the smaller company (AMD) to keep the monopoly ("Monopoly Inside") from becoming uncontrollable.

Unfortunately, I have only a few hours before I have to go buy this thing, as I must get it installed, configured, and a bunch of other stuff loaded before I travel over the weekend.

TIA for any input,
Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: New laptop question

Ken Jennings
On Thursday 09 November 2006 08:55, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, my laptop just died, probably fixable and under (extended) warranty
> so it's not the end of the world, but... Aha, there's always a "but"... It
> won't be fixed for a while, and I have to have a machine for a contract
> starting Monday. So, I think I'll have to buy a new one. So this, I guess,
> is a dreaded "hardware compatibility" question. I've noticed that this is
> not really the issue that it was years ago, but I stil
> [...]

You can go to www.emperorlinux.com and inventory the systems there.  They have
linux working on a wide variety of laptops.  If you don't buy from them at
least you can see what systems can run linux.

The other alternative is to go to google and enter linux + the model of
laptop.  If someone has tried installing linux on it you should find links to
sites saying if or how someone did it.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: New laptop question

kj-12
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 05:55 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:

> Well, my laptop just died, probably fixable and under (extended)
> warranty so it's not the end of the world, but... Aha, there's always
> a "but"... It won't be fixed for a while, and I have to have a machine
> for a contract starting Monday. So, I think I'll have to buy a new
> one. So this, I guess, is a dreaded "hardware compatibility" question.
> I've noticed that this is not really the issue that it was years ago,
> but I still like to ask.
>
> I'm considering a machine with an  "AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology
> TL-50 Processor" is there any reason that wouldn't be a good idea? I'd
> like to take advantage of the 64 bit nature of this (and tend to run
> heavy Java aplications/application servers, JBoss etc.) and I'm
> assuming that the 64bit version of opensuse will do that?

As much of an AMD-fan as I am, I have to say that from what I've see the
Core 2 Duo is a faster processor, and it gives you a much wider variety
of notebooks to choose from.

Hans

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: New laptop question

TobyEggitt
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 05:55 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:
> I'm considering a machine with an  "AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology
> TL-50 Processor" is there any reason that wouldn't be a good idea? I'd
> like to take advantage of the 64 bit nature of this (and tend to run
> heavy Java aplications/application servers, JBoss etc.) and I'm
> assuming that the 64bit version of opensuse will do that?

As much of an AMD-fan as I am, I have to say that from what I've see the
Core 2 Duo is a faster processor, and it gives you a much wider variety
of notebooks to choose from.

Hans

OK, so I'm edging towards going with the Intel CPU after all, but, I notice that the opensuse "choose an architecture" page doesn't even mention the Duo processors:
Choose the Architecture

[edit]

x86

This architecture supports the following processors:

 Intel Pentium 1-4, Celeron, 32bit Xeon, Celeron D
 AMD K6, Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon MP, Sempron

[edit]

x86-64

This architecture supports the following processors:

 AMD Opteron, Athlon 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2, Sempron 64, Turion 64
 Intel Xeon, Xeon MP, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Pentium D
 Processors based on AMD's AMD64 & Intel's EM64T (Intel's implementation of AMD64)
Are they actually going to run 64bit Linux right now? In other words,
is it just this page that is out of date, not that the CPUs are too new
to be fully supported?

Thanks again,

Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: New laptop question

John Andersen
On Thursday 09 November 2006 07:13, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> As much of an AMD-fan as I am, I have to say that from what I've see the
> Core 2 Duo is a faster processor, and it gives you a much wider variety
> of notebooks to choose from.

This week, that is very true.  AMD will catch up, but for now the C2D is
really a great performer.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: New laptop question

John Andersen
On Thursday 09 November 2006 10:03, Simon Roberts wrote:
> OK, so I'm edging towards going with the Intel CPU after all, but, I notice
> that the opensuse "choose an architecture" page doesn't even mention the
> Duo processors:

It Works.  You have my word.

Further, I've slapped two different live CDs in my Core 2 Duo box (Kubuntu
and an older SuSE 10) and they both found every bit of of hardware and
worked perfectly.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: New laptop question

TobyEggitt
Good enough. Thanks, I'm on my way to the store.

Thanks all for the pointers.

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

On Thursday 09 November 2006 10:03, Simon Roberts wrote:
> OK, so I'm edging towards going with the Intel CPU after all, but, I notice
> that the opensuse "choose an architecture" page doesn't even mention the
> Duo processors:

It Works.  You have my word.

Further, I've slapped two different live CDs in my Core 2 Duo box (Kubuntu
and an older SuSE 10) and they both found every bit of of hardware and
worked perfectly.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: New laptop question

BandiPat
On Thursday 09 November 2006 11:13, Hans du Plooy wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 05:55 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:
> > Well, my laptop just died, probably fixable and under (extended)
> > warranty so it's not the end of the world, but... Aha, there's
> > always a "but"... It won't be fixed for a while, and I have to have
> > a machine for a contract starting Monday. So, I think I'll have to
> > buy a new one. So this, I guess, is a dreaded "hardware
> > compatibility" question. I've noticed that this is not really the
> > issue that it was years ago, but I still like to ask.
> >
> > I'm considering a machine with an  "AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile
> > Technology TL-50 Processor" is there any reason that wouldn't be a
> > good idea? I'd like to take advantage of the 64 bit nature of this
> > (and tend to run heavy Java aplications/application servers, JBoss
> > etc.) and I'm assuming that the 64bit version of opensuse will do
> > that?
>
> As much of an AMD-fan as I am, I have to say that from what I've see
> the Core 2 Duo is a faster processor, and it gives you a much wider
> variety of notebooks to choose from.
>
> Hans
========

Aren't these Core 2 cpus just 32 bit though?  Another cruel joke Intel
is playing on the buying public?  I know they have a 64bit dual core,
but I don't think this is one of them.

bye,
Lee

On Thursday 09 November 2006 10:22, Simon Roberts wrote:
> ood enough. Thanks, I'm on my way to the store.

Take your live cd with you.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: New laptop question

kj-12
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:03 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:
> OK, so I'm edging towards going with the Intel CPU after all, but, I
> notice that the opensuse "choose an architecture" page doesn't even
> mention the Duo processors:

"Core" is the next generation Pentium-M.  Core 2 is the one after that.
Both are available in "Core (2) Solo" (single core) and "Core (2)
Duo" (dual core) - and there's a quad core coming soon too.

Core Solo and Core Duo are 32bit so use "x86" while Core 2 Solo and Core
2 Duo is 64bit, so you have a choice between "x86" and "x86_64"

Hope this helps

Hans

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 14:29 -0500, BandiPat wrote:
> Aren't these Core 2 cpus just 32 bit though?  Another cruel joke Intel
> is playing on the buying public?  I know they have a 64bit dual core,
> but I don't think this is one of them.

Core is 32bit, Core 2 is 64bit:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm

Hans

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:10 -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 07:13, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > As much of an AMD-fan as I am, I have to say that from what I've see the
> > Core 2 Duo is a faster processor, and it gives you a much wider variety
> > of notebooks to choose from.
>
> This week, that is very true.  AMD will catch up, but for now the C2D is
> really a great performer.

Sadly AMD is getting further behind.  When I bought my notebook there
was Pentium-M or Turion64.  Turion64 was definitely the more powerful.
But about a week later Core Duo notebooks became available here.  Now
Core 2 Duo is already in every second notebook, and only recently did
the Turion64_X2 become more readily avilable (at least locally), and
there's only a handful of models to choose from.

My Turion64 (1.8GHz, 1mb cache) is still a superb machine, but if I had
waited a week, I would have had no reason for the next 10 months to buy
an AMD.

Sad sad...

Hans

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: New laptop question

TobyEggitt

On Thursday 09 November 2006 10:22, Simon Roberts wrote:
> ood enough. Thanks, I'm on my way to the store.

Take your live cd with you.
John Andersen

Hmm, that would have been a good idea... x86_64 DVD just burned, install about to start shortly. Keep fingers crossed for me!

Thanks again all,
Simon

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]