New Zeus botnet discovered in 75,000 systems

New Zeus botnet discovered in 75,000 systems

Fred A. Miller
Network forensics firm NetWitness has uncovered a new Zeus botnet that
it believes could be affecting over 75,000 systems in 2,500 companies
worldwide.

The 'Kneber' botnet is said to gather log-in information for financial
systems, social networking sites and email systems.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/167611,new-zeus-botnet-discovered-in-75000-systems.aspx

Basil posted this in the off-topic list, which was a good thing as I hadn't seen this before. The
reason I posted it here, is to comment on what we all can do to keep from sending one of these
"nasties" on to someone who, for whatever reason, hasn't gotten with the program yet and aren't
using openSUSE, still feeding at the sour trough of MickySoft swill. IF you use Kmail, Klamav is
supposed to work with it, scanning all mail. Presently, I manually scan my .thunderbird dir., just
to make sure I don't send a "nasty critter" to someone where it might do some damage. I look
forward to it being able to do auto scans of incoming T-Bird mail!

Fred

--
Q. What's the difference between a southern zoo and a northern zoo?
A. The southern zoo has a description of the animal along with a recipe.

Re: New Zeus botnet discovered in 75,000 systems

scott-268
On Sunday 21 February 2010 10:27:15 am Fred A. Miller wrote:

> this before. The
> reason I posted it here, is to comment on what we all can do
>  to keep from sending one of these  "nasties" on to someone
>  who, for whatever reason, hasn't gotten with the program yet
>  and aren't using openSUSE, still feeding at the sour trough
>  of MickySoft swill. IF you use Kmail, Klamav is supposed to
>  work with it, scanning all mail. Presently, I manually scan
>  my

i thought about it, asked yast about it, and was about to hit
Accept when i noticed one of the dependencies it was about to
merrily bring along was qt3 -- no way do i want that dogging my
system

any alternatives?

sc