New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

Maik Wagner
Hello everyone,

I recently got promoted to Translation Coordinator for German by
Sarah-Julia which I am very happy about after becoming an openSUSE
member. Sarah Julia will more be focussing on z-Systems in the future
and for me this is a great opportunity.

I am looking forward to working with you on this international level. In
fact I am half-Finnish and half-German. Unfortunately I am not bilingual
but fluent in English in French.

Please see my profile at: https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tapwag for
further information about me.

I already added myself to the following Wikipage:
  https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team

Have a good day and best wishes,

Maik "tapwag" Wagner

Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne neděle 22. listopadu 2020 19:41:17 CET, Maik Wagner napsal(a):

> Hello everyone,
> I recently got promoted to Translation Coordinator for German by
> Sarah-Julia which I am very happy about after becoming an openSUSE
> member. Sarah Julia will more be focussing on z-Systems in the future
> and for me this is a great opportunity.
> I am looking forward to working with you on this international level. In
> fact I am half-Finnish and half-German. Unfortunately I am not bilingual
> but fluent in English in French.
> Please see my profile at: https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tapwag for
> further information about me.
> I already added myself to the following Wikipage:
>   https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
> Have a good day and best wishes,
> Maik "tapwag" Wagner
Hello,
does this change apply *only* to German team, or to coordination of *whole*
translations for *all* languages? :-)
Thx,

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux
https://www.opensuse.org/

Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

ddemaio

On 11/23/20 9:30 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:

> Dne neděle 22. listopadu 2020 19:41:17 CET, Maik Wagner napsal(a):
>> Hello everyone,
>> I recently got promoted to Translation Coordinator for German by
>> Sarah-Julia which I am very happy about after becoming an openSUSE
>> member. Sarah Julia will more be focussing on z-Systems in the future
>> and for me this is a great opportunity.
>> I am looking forward to working with you on this international level. In
>> fact I am half-Finnish and half-German. Unfortunately I am not bilingual
>> but fluent in English in French.
>> Please see my profile at: https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tapwag for
>> further information about me.
>> I already added myself to the following Wikipage:
>>    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
>> Have a good day and best wishes,
>> Maik "tapwag" Wagner
Congrat Maik. Thank you for contributing.
> Hello,
> does this change apply *only* to German team, or to coordination of *whole*
> translations for *all* languages? :-)
> Thx,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean Vojtech?
v/r
Doug

Dne pondělí 23. listopadu 2020 11:04:28 CET, ddemaio napsal(a):

> On 11/23/20 9:30 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
> > Dne neděle 22. listopadu 2020 19:41:17 CET, Maik Wagner napsal(a):
> >> Hello everyone,
> >> I recently got promoted to Translation Coordinator for German by
> >> Sarah-Julia which I am very happy about after becoming an openSUSE
> >> member. Sarah Julia will more be focussing on z-Systems in the future
> >> and for me this is a great opportunity.
> >> I am looking forward to working with you on this international level. In
> >> fact I am half-Finnish and half-German. Unfortunately I am not bilingual
> >> but fluent in English in French.
> >> Please see my profile at: https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tapwag for
> >> further information about me.
> >> I already added myself to the following Wikipage:
> >>    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
> >> Have a good day and best wishes,
> >> Maik "tapwag" Wagner
>
> Congrat Maik. Thank you for contributing.
>
> > Hello,
> > does this change apply *only* to German team, or to coordination of
> > *whole* translations for *all* languages? :-)
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean Vojtech?
Maik wrote in subject "New Translation Coordinator for German" (of course, I
have no insight into German team), but addressing to all translators of all
languages, so I'm bit confused if he is going to coordinate only German
translators, or all translations in general for all languages...? :-)

On 11/23/20 11:16 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:

> Dne pondělí 23. listopadu 2020 11:04:28 CET, ddemaio napsal(a):
>> Congrat Maik. Thank you for contributing.
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> does this change apply *only* to German team, or to coordination of
>>> *whole* translations for *all* languages? :-)
>> I'm not sure exactly what you mean Vojtech?
> Maik wrote in subject "New Translation Coordinator for German" (of course, I
> have no insight into German team), but addressing to all translators of all
> languages, so I'm bit confused if he is going to coordinate only German
> translators, or all translations in general for all languages...? :-)

I see what you mean now Vojtech since Sarah did a lot of coordination
with all languages.
v/r
Doug

Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

Maik Wagner
Hello Vojtech,

Am 23.11.20 um 11:16 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
> Maik wrote in subject "New Translation Coordinator for German" (of course, I
> have no insight into German team), but addressing to all translators of all
> languages, so I'm bit confused if he is going to coordinate only German
> translators, or all translations in general for all languages...? :-)

it was mainly meant as an introduction and that somebody new is taking
over Sarah Julia Kriesch's position and it only applies to the German team.

Kind regards,

Maik

Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi Vojtěch,

the email by Maik was only for German, but you have thought correctly.
I will write an email with a description for the "Global" Translation Coordinator role, too. :)

I am using the bottom - up - method. Firstly, I am looking for a follower for my specialized language team.
Afterwards, I will publish an email for the next position.

You can give a notice of interest on this mailing list then. If we will have multiple candidates, we would have
a meeting with your personal presentations inside of the team and then we would elect the new Global Coordinator.

Wait until this email, please. :)

Best regards,
Sarah

> Gesendet: Montag, 23. November 2020 um 12:43 Uhr
> Von: "Maik Wagner" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [opensuse-translation]  Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction
>
> Hello Vojtech,
>
> Am 23.11.20 um 11:16 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
> > Maik wrote in subject "New Translation Coordinator for German" (of course, I
> > have no insight into German team), but addressing to all translators of all
> > languages, so I'm bit confused if he is going to coordinate only German
> > translators, or all translations in general for all languages...? :-)
>
> it was mainly meant as an introduction and that somebody new is taking
> over Sarah Julia Kriesch's position and it only applies to the German team.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Maik

Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

Stanislav Brabec
Regarding Weblate:

There are actually no specialized language teams. There are only
specialized teams with contracted translators.

But In past, we planned to introduce a translation coordinator model,
where people will be split to 3 groups:
Ordinary users
Qualified users
Coordinators

We experimented with these features before Weblate permission system was
refactored.

But as there were not enough human power in the teams, we did not
continue. Currently, any registered user can edit and any user can suggest.

Depending on the human power of teams, there are possible models to proceed:

Examples:

Weak model:
Ordinary users can do the same as now
Qualified users can approve suggestions
Coordinators can qualify users (not sure whether this rule is already
implemented)
=> No big benefit.

Medium model:
Ordinary users can do the same as now, but their translation will be
marked as "need review" by default.
Qualified users can approve suggestions
Coordinators can qualify users (not sure whether this rule is already
implemented)
=> Even if the team have a weak power, string reach the application.
They are just labelled in the Weblate.

Strict model:
Ordinary users can suggest only.
Qualified users can approve suggestions
Coordinators can qualify users (not sure whether this rule is already
implemented)
=> In case of the weak team, string stop reaching the application.

Extended model:
Ordinary users can do the same as now, but their translation will be
marked as "need review" by default.
Qualified users can do the same as now, their translation can be marked
as "approved".
Reviewers can approve suggestions
Coordinators can qualify users (not sure whether this rule is already
implemented)
=> Like Medium model, but one extra level.

Dne 23. 11. 20 v 18:21 Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):

> Hi Vojtěch,
>
> the email by Maik was only for German, but you have thought correctly.
> I will write an email with a description for the "Global" Translation Coordinator role, too. :)
>
> I am using the bottom - up - method. Firstly, I am looking for a follower for my specialized language team.
> Afterwards, I will publish an email for the next position.
>
> You can give a notice of interest on this mailing list then. If we will have multiple candidates, we would have
> a meeting with your personal presentations inside of the team and then we would elect the new Global Coordinator.
>
> Wait until this email, please. :)
>
> Best regards,
> Sarah
>
>> Gesendet: Montag, 23. November 2020 um 12:43 Uhr
>> Von: "Maik Wagner" <[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: [opensuse-translation]  Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction
>>
>> Hello Vojtech,
>>
>> Am 23.11.20 um 11:16 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
>>> Maik wrote in subject "New Translation Coordinator for German" (of course, I
>>> have no insight into German team), but addressing to all translators of all
>>> languages, so I'm bit confused if he is going to coordinate only German
>>> translators, or all translations in general for all languages...? :-)
>> it was mainly meant as an introduction and that somebody new is taking
>> over Sarah Julia Kriesch's position and it only applies to the German team.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>

>> Maik

Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer

Re: New Translation Coordinator for German - Introduction

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi Stanislav,

how about adding this topic into the possible meeting for the new team structure (and new Coordinator)?
Then all Translation Coordinators can vote for their favorite model.

Best regards,
Sarah