New Potential Project; DevOps

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Potential Project; DevOps

Cameron Seader
Team,
I wanted to ping the collective around this idea before creating. The
idea is to create a focused project within openSUSE around DevOps. This
would include the focused packaging of all of the tools around a DevOps
ecosystem. Namely OBS, Jenkins, etc.

https://xebialabs.com/periodic-table-of-devops-tools/

The open source ones of course. :-)

Maybe we create a DevOps in a box where they can be delivered via an
image for deployment.

This would help promote these tools in the community and hopefully
attract developer teams outside of the openSUSE community to using our
distribution for development.

We would want to promote how these tools can be used together and create
howto's and guides around this.

Really want to hit home the advantages and positively reinforce the
great tools SUSE has available in the CI/CD space.

Does anyone else have any ideas around this?

I want to walk into a company and hear they are using openSUSE or SUSE
Enterprise for their microservices needs rather than Ubuntu or CentOS,
and give me precise reasons why we are better. :-)
Yeah a bit of a dream, but help me make it reality.

Is there anyone interested in this community project? Anyone interested
in joining if I get it all started?

feedback please.

Thanks,
--
Cameron Seader
Sr. Technology Strategist
SUSE
[hidden email]
(w)208-572-0095
(M)208-420-2167

www.suse.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

gregfreemyer
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Cameron Seader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Team,
> I wanted to ping the collective around this idea before creating. The
> idea is to create a focused project within openSUSE around DevOps. This
> would include the focused packaging of all of the tools around a DevOps
> ecosystem. Namely OBS, Jenkins, etc.
>
> https://xebialabs.com/periodic-table-of-devops-tools/
>
> The open source ones of course. :-)
>
> Maybe we create a DevOps in a box where they can be delivered via an
> image for deployment.

Don't you mean a series of images?  I'm not that familiar with
Jenkins, etc but I know a little about OBS.

It comes as 2 distinct ISOs already:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Appliance

One for the main server, and one for the workers.

For a decent sized project, I assume openQA (http://open.qa/) would be
on one or more dedicated servers as well.

Anyway it seems like DevOps would be made to deploy to a server farm?

> This would help promote these tools in the community and hopefully
> attract developer teams outside of the openSUSE community to using our
> distribution for development.
>
> We would want to promote how these tools can be used together and create
> howto's and guides around this.
>
> Really want to hit home the advantages and positively reinforce the
> great tools SUSE has available in the CI/CD space.
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas around this?
>
> I want to walk into a company and hear they are using openSUSE or SUSE
> Enterprise for their microservices needs rather than Ubuntu or CentOS,
> and give me precise reasons why we are better. :-)
> Yeah a bit of a dream, but help me make it reality.

Does Dell still use OBS:

===
Dell Community Repository http://linux.dell.com/repo/community Michael Brown

Dell hosts several open source projects for distribution to customers
on a community-support-only basis. We struggled to build all of the
software across all the OS distribution flavors using a homegrown
build system. OBS saved the day in allowing not only easy access to
build across our most popular repos, but also in allowing secure
access to allow trusted third parties to add content to our repos.
===

From: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_installations

Might be a few more interesting users in that list.  Is the list up to date?

> Is there anyone interested in this community project? Anyone interested
> in joining if I get it all started?
>
> feedback please.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Cameron Seader
> Sr. Technology Strategist
> SUSE
> [hidden email]
> (w)208-572-0095
> (M)208-420-2167
>
> www.suse.com
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Duncan Mac-Vicar P.
In reply to this post by Cameron Seader
On 07/18/2016 09:06 PM, Cameron Seader wrote:
> Team,
> I wanted to ping the collective around this idea before creating. The
> idea is to create a focused project within openSUSE around DevOps. This
> would include the focused packaging of all of the tools around a DevOps
> ecosystem. Namely OBS, Jenkins, etc.
>
> https://xebialabs.com/periodic-table-of-devops-tools/

SUSE puts some effort on Salt already, so if openSUSE "DevOps" centers
around it, it would get lot of work from what we do at SUSE.

(openSUSE Salt packages are already kept with all the patches and
backport the SUSE Manager and other teams at SUSE use for their
products/work)

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Mathias Homann-2
In reply to this post by Cameron Seader
Am Montag 18 Juli 2016, 13:06:53 schrieb Cameron Seader:
> Team,
> I wanted to ping the collective around this idea before creating. The
> idea is to create a focused project within openSUSE around DevOps. This
> would include the focused packaging of all of the tools around a DevOps
> ecosystem. Namely OBS, Jenkins, etc.
>
> https://xebialabs.com/periodic-table-of-devops-tools/


(un)related question: is there anything in the SuSE ecosystem that is
comparable in form & fuction to a RHEV / Red Hat Satellite / puppet / ansible
setup?

...if not, why not?

cheers
Mathias
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Andreas Jaeger-8
On 2016-07-19 10:13, Mathias Homann wrote:

> Am Montag 18 Juli 2016, 13:06:53 schrieb Cameron Seader:
>> Team,
>> I wanted to ping the collective around this idea before creating. The
>> idea is to create a focused project within openSUSE around DevOps. This
>> would include the focused packaging of all of the tools around a DevOps
>> ecosystem. Namely OBS, Jenkins, etc.
>>
>> https://xebialabs.com/periodic-table-of-devops-tools/
>
>
> (un)related question: is there anything in the SuSE ecosystem that is

Btw. no need to lower case the u anymore, it's SUSE since 10+ years now...

> comparable in form & fuction to a RHEV / Red Hat Satellite / puppet / ansible
> setup?
>
> ...if not, why not?

Satellite - SUSE Manager - and version 3 comes with salt.

There's no direct equivalent of RHEV . SLES comes with libvirt and then
there's SUSE OpenStack Cloud,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter: jaegerandi
  SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
    GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Mathias Homann-2
Am Dienstag 19 Juli 2016, 10:19:37 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
>
> Satellite - SUSE Manager - and version 3 comes with salt.

..what is salt?

 
> There's no direct equivalent of RHEV . SLES comes with libvirt and then
> there's SUSE OpenStack Cloud,

There are two basic differences between RHEV and openstack:

- RHEV scales vertically (VMs get more ressources when the load increases),
openstack scales horizontally (more instances are launched when the oad
increases)
- openstack instances are used for hours, maybe days, then they are destroyed;
RHEV instances have a lifetime of months if not years.

cheers
MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD 763C

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Andreas Jaeger-8
On 2016-07-19 10:44, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Dienstag 19 Juli 2016, 10:19:37 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
>>
>> Satellite - SUSE Manager - and version 3 comes with salt.
>
> ..what is salt?

Salt is a configuration management tool, combines features of both
puppet and ansible.

>  
>> There's no direct equivalent of RHEV . SLES comes with libvirt and then
>> there's SUSE OpenStack Cloud,
>
> There are two basic differences between RHEV and openstack:

That's why I said "no direct equivalent" - unless you use libvirt directly.

> - RHEV scales vertically (VMs get more ressources when the load increases),
> openstack scales horizontally (more instances are launched when the oad
> increases)
> - openstack instances are used for hours, maybe days, then they are destroyed;
> RHEV instances have a lifetime of months if not years.


OpenStack lifetimes can be long as well,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter: jaegerandi
  SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
    GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Duncan Mac-Vicar P.
In reply to this post by Mathias Homann-2


On 07/19/2016 10:13 AM, Mathias Homann wrote:

> Am Montag 18 Juli 2016, 13:06:53 schrieb Cameron Seader:
>> Team,
>> I wanted to ping the collective around this idea before creating. The
>> idea is to create a focused project within openSUSE around DevOps. This
>> would include the focused packaging of all of the tools around a DevOps
>> ecosystem. Namely OBS, Jenkins, etc.
>>
>> https://xebialabs.com/periodic-table-of-devops-tools/
>
>
> (un)related question: is there anything in the SuSE ecosystem that is
> comparable in form & fuction to a RHEV / Red Hat Satellite / puppet / ansible
> setup?

SUSE Manager is based on upstream Spacewalk plus Salt support. Anyone
can package it for openSUSE.

* Upstream does not package it for openSUSE
* openSUSE does not package Spacewalk, except for some SUSE Manager team
members that have slowly started packaging upstream in OBS (mostly
client parts) and sending our spec file patches upstream:

  -
https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalk/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr%20openSUSE%20
  -
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/systemsmanagement:spacewalk:2.5

* The Salt part will be complicated to upstream. Redhat commits directly
to it, but contributions go over Pull Requests. We introduced new
frameworks, use Java 8, which conflicts with RHEL policy of supporting
RHEL versions, one of those lack Java 8, etc.

* Because our Java package collection is not maven bootstrapped, we have
Java packages that are built in ways that are unusual for openSUSE: we
build from source but using binary build dependencies, to avoid having
to package the whole maven world. See https://github.com/moio/tetra

* Eventually we may spend effort in opening our git tree and make a
openSUSE version of SUSE Manager, kind of a new upstream, however that
requires a considerable effort and requires some support from the
community side as well.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Duncan Mac-Vicar P.
In reply to this post by Mathias Homann-2


On 07/19/2016 10:44 AM, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Dienstag 19 Juli 2016, 10:19:37 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
>>
>> Satellite - SUSE Manager - and version 3 comes with salt.
>
> ..what is salt?

https://saltstack.com/

openSUSE Conference 2016 Keynote:
https://app.media.ccc.de/v/818-saltstack-is-more-than-just-configuration-management

https://www.virtualizationpractice.com/saltstack-is-gaining-momentum-22170/
https://duncan.mac-vicar.com/2016/03/16/susemanager-3-backstage.html
https://duncan.mac-vicar.com/2016/06/09/config-drift-salt-snapper.html

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Darin Perusich-3
On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 07/19/2016 10:44 AM, Mathias Homann wrote:
>> Am Dienstag 19 Juli 2016, 10:19:37 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
>>>
>>> Satellite - SUSE Manager - and version 3 comes with salt.
>>
>> ..what is salt?
>
> https://saltstack.com/
>
> openSUSE Conference 2016 Keynote:
> https://app.media.ccc.de/v/818-saltstack-is-more-than-just-configuration-management
>
> https://www.virtualizationpractice.com/saltstack-is-gaining-momentum-22170/
> https://duncan.mac-vicar.com/2016/03/16/susemanager-3-backstage.html
> https://duncan.mac-vicar.com/2016/06/09/config-drift-salt-snapper.html
>

When to you anticipate moving Salt 2016.3.x, the current stable, from
systemsmanagement:saltstack:testing to systemsmanagement:saltstack?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Duncan Mac-Vicar P.
On 07/21/2016 07:19 PM, Darin Perusich wrote:
>
> When to you anticipate moving Salt 2016.3.x, the current stable, from
> systemsmanagement:saltstack:testing to systemsmanagement:saltstack?
>

As soon as it passes our regression tests, and 2016 broke lot of stuff.

It gets always copied when it is green.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Darin Perusich-3
Great, are these regression tests publicly available?
--
Later,
Darin


On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 3:14 AM, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/21/2016 07:19 PM, Darin Perusich wrote:
>>
>> When to you anticipate moving Salt 2016.3.x, the current stable, from
>> systemsmanagement:saltstack:testing to systemsmanagement:saltstack?
>>
>
> As soon as it passes our regression tests, and 2016 broke lot of stuff.
>
> It gets always copied when it is green.
>
> --
> Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/
>
> SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu,
> Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
> Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>
>
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Potential Project; DevOps

Duncan Mac-Vicar P.
On 07/22/2016 04:12 PM, Darin Perusich wrote:
> Great, are these regression tests publicly available?
> --
> Later,
> Darin

The code, yes ( https://github.com/openSUSE/salt-toaster ) , but the
setup is internal for now. Nothing prevents to setup something on
ci.opensuse.org in the future (just time...)

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu,
Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]