[New Package] GitKraken

Luke Jones
Hi all,

I was about to submit GitKraken to the devel:tools project where I
thought it would fit best - until I saw the mess of licenses this has.

I'm unsure of how the licensing (there are a multitude of licenses
used due to the number of libraries used) would affect openSUSE.

GitKraken itself uses its own license https://www.gitkraken.com/eula

Package link: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:luke_nukem/gitkraken

If someone more experienced than I, could advise on this, it would be
appreciated. On that note, would "packman" be a better place for it to
live?

Regards,
Luke

Re: [New Package] GitKraken

Aleksa Sarai
> GitKraken itself uses its own license https://www.gitkraken.com/eula

It looks like a modified version of the Apache license. I would
recommend either asking the OSI or the FSF to review the license to
determine whether it is a free software license or whether the added
conditions / restrictions render it non-free.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Software Engineer (Containers)

Re: [New Package] GitKraken

Simon Lees-3

On 01/30/2017 02:51 PM, Luke Jones wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was about to submit GitKraken to the devel:tools project where I
> thought it would fit best - until I saw the mess of licenses this has.
>
> I'm unsure of how the licensing (there are a multitude of licenses
> used due to the number of libraries used) would affect openSUSE.
>
> GitKraken itself uses its own license https://www.gitkraken.com/eula
>
> Package link: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:luke_nukem/gitkraken
>
> If someone more experienced than I, could advise on this, it would be
> appreciated. On that note, would "packman" be a better place for it to
> live?
>
> Regards,
> Luke

If the license / terms don't specifically prevent openSUSE distributing
the built binaries (Take patent violation as an example) then its
probably better going into the non-oss repo then packman, that is of
course if the license allows it to be distributed.

"You shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute,
host, outsource, disclose or otherwise commercially exploit or make the
Software available to any third party except as expressly provided for
in Section 2.1 above; "

I am not a lawyer but I would read the above as an indication that it
shouldn't be published / distributed on a public obs instance. I could
be wrong though.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: [New Package] GitKraken

Stefan Knorr

from https://www.gitkraken.com/faq (question 2):

 > Is GitKraken open source? Can I contribute to its development?
 >
 > No, GitKraken is not open source. We welcome your feature requests
 > and any ideas you have to share. Feel free to let us know.

Stefan.

---                                                                    .
SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).

Re: [New Package] GitKraken

cagsm
gitkraken faq

> Is GitKraken open source? Can I contribute to its development?

No, GitKraken is not open source. We welcome your feature requests and
any ideas you have to share. Feel free to let us know.

GitKraken does rely on open source projects like NodeGit, libgit2, and
Electron. Our devs actively contribute to these projects in an effort
to help all software that use them (including GitKraken, of course)!

> But I want to work on GitKraken. Like, on the app itself.

Sounds like you’re looking for a career at Axosoft. We’re pretty nice
people and we’re hiring talented devs.