NetworkManager-wait-online.service (9.486s)

NetworkManager-wait-online.service (9.486s)

John Andersen-2
The service NetworkManager-wait-online.service takes 9.486s, which more than doubles
my boot time.  Network target can not start until that wait-on-line completes.

Why does this take so long.  The machine is connected via cat5 to a gigabit network.
None of my other distos even have this service.

Re: NetworkManager-wait-online.service (9.486s)

David C. Rankin
On 06/12/2017 05:26 PM, John Andersen wrote:
> The service NetworkManager-wait-online.service takes 9.486s, which more than doubles
> my boot time.  Network target can not start until that wait-on-line completes.
>
> Why does this take so long.  The machine is connected via cat5 to a gigabit network.
> None of my other distos even have this service.

I recall out discussion a while back in the thread:

"[opensuse] Re: Leap 42.2 - why does wicked take 39 seconds to get a dhcp
address?" Where L A Walsh added:

<quote>

That is weird.  I can't see why it might do that -- like it is
waiting for 25 seconds to see if other hosts might claim a
collision, but why so long?
... Ahhh...

Found in sample file
/usr/share/doc/packages/wicked/samples/wicked/eth0-dhcp.xml
   <link-detection>
     <require-link />
     <timeout>10</timeout>
   </link-detection>
and
 <ipv4:dhcp>
   <enabled>true</enabled>
   <acquire-timeout>15</acquire-timeout>
 </ipv4:dhcp>
----

</quote>

That 10 second timeout is really close to the 9.486?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

On 06/12/2017 07:57 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

> On 06/12/2017 05:26 PM, John Andersen wrote:
>> The service NetworkManager-wait-online.service takes 9.486s, which more than doubles
>> my boot time.  Network target can not start until that wait-on-line completes.
>>
>> Why does this take so long.  The machine is connected via cat5 to a gigabit network.
>> None of my other distos even have this service.
>>

> I recall out discussion a while back in the thread:
>
> "[opensuse] Re: Leap 42.2 - why does wicked take 39 seconds to get a dhcp
> address?" Where L A Walsh added:
>
> <quote>
>
> That is weird.  I can't see why it might do that -- like it is
> waiting for 25 seconds to see if other hosts might claim a
> collision, but why so long?
> ... Ahhh...
>
> Found in sample file
> /usr/share/doc/packages/wicked/samples/wicked/eth0-dhcp.xml
>    <link-detection>
>      <require-link />
>      <timeout>10</timeout>
>    </link-detection>
> and
>  <ipv4:dhcp>
>    <enabled>true</enabled>
>    <acquire-timeout>15</acquire-timeout>
>  </ipv4:dhcp>
> ----
>
> </quote>
>
> That 10 second timeout is really close to the 9.486?

I whacked that and so now improvement.  It didn't look too specific
to the issue anyway.  so I set it back.

If you do something like
 systemd-analyze plot >plot.svg && firefox --new-window plot.svg

you will see everybody waits on that NetworkManager-wait-online.service.

On 06/13/2017 08:47 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> I whacked that and so now improvement.  It didn't look too specific
> to the issue anyway.  so I set it back.
>
> If you do something like
>  systemd-analyze plot >plot.svg && firefox --new-window plot.svg
>
> you will see everybody waits on that NetworkManager-wait-online.service.

I'd gladly trade the '30.208' seconds I wait on fricking wicked for your 9.48
second wait with Network manager....

If I booted any more frequently than, at most, a couple of times a week
(sometimes only every couple of weeks) it would be worth looking into.
Personally, I thinking everyone is still struggling to get on top of all the
systemd/wicked/(flavor-of-the-week-net-loader)/etc. to come of with an
intelligent system that is limited only by the dhcpd response time rather than
chasing its own tail....

Drop a note if you find a solution (or more relevant information), I'll do the
same.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.