NetBeans 5.5 Released

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

NetBeans 5.5 Released

PerfectReign-2
Just so everyone is aware, the only really easy IDE and Visual Design
environment for cross-platform development (see: www.donumonster.com)
is now upgraded:

http://www.netbeans.org/products/


--
Kai Ponte
www.perfectreign.com || www.4thedadz.com

remember - a turn signal is a statement, not a request


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

HG-2
Hi!

On 11/1/06, PerfectReign <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just so everyone is aware, the only really easy IDE and Visual Design
> environment for cross-platform development (see: www.donumonster.com)
> is now upgraded:
>
> http://www.netbeans.org/products/

What would be the preferred method for installing this? Again, I find
myself to be a newbie :-) ... I only found an installer that seems to
install Netbeans for one user and not for everybody. (This is actually
ok for me at home, but...) Where to get rpm's (for 10.0)?

--
HG.

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

PerfectReign
On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:38, HG wrote:
> Hi!
>
> >
> > http://www.netbeans.org/products/
>
> What would be the preferred method for installing this? Again, I find
> myself to be a newbie :-) ... I only found an installer that seems to
> install Netbeans for one user and not for everybody. (This is actually
> ok for me at home, but...) Where to get rpm's (for 10.0)?

I doubt you'll find RPM's for NB 5.5 yet.

If you want the installer to install for everybody then just install it to an
appropriate common location.  An example might be /usr/bin/netbeans. You
would want to create the netbeans folder in this location. (You'd want to be
root while doing this or it will be a very short install process.)

You would then create a menu item in the KDE/GNOME menu for netbeans.

When you launch, it will create a local ./netbeans folder for your stuff.

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

cjgunzel
Additionally, HG, you might want to subscribe to the NetBeans mailing
lists, especially nbusers.  You can do so at the www.netbeans.org
site.  Many helpful people there (including Kai).  If you are a Java
developer and you have not yet tried NB you are in for a treat!

Chuck

On 11/7/06, Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:38, HG wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > >
> > > http://www.netbeans.org/products/
> >
> > What would be the preferred method for installing this? Again, I find
> > myself to be a newbie :-) ... I only found an installer that seems to
> > install Netbeans for one user and not for everybody. (This is actually
> > ok for me at home, but...) Where to get rpm's (for 10.0)?
>
> I doubt you'll find RPM's for NB 5.5 yet.
>
> If you want the installer to install for everybody then just install it to
> an
> appropriate common location.  An example might be /usr/bin/netbeans. You
> would want to create the netbeans folder in this location. (You'd want to be
> root while doing this or it will be a very short install process.)
>
> You would then create a menu item in the KDE/GNOME menu for netbeans.
>
> When you launch, it will create a local ./netbeans folder for your stuff.
>
> --
> kai ponte
> www.perfectreign.com
>
> --
> Check the headers for your unsubscription address
> For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
> Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
> Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]
>
>
>

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

George Stoianov-2
Plus Sun has provided their visual web development kit for this
version, as a preview for now, to the project the IDE really rocks.


On 11/7/06, Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Additionally, HG, you might want to subscribe to the NetBeans mailing
> lists, especially nbusers.  You can do so at the www.netbeans.org
> site.  Many helpful people there (including Kai).  If you are a Java
> developer and you have not yet tried NB you are in for a treat!
>
> Chuck
>
> On 11/7/06, Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:38, HG wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > >
> > > > http://www.netbeans.org/products/
> > >
> > > What would be the preferred method for installing this? Again, I find
> > > myself to be a newbie :-) ... I only found an installer that seems to
> > > install Netbeans for one user and not for everybody. (This is actually
> > > ok for me at home, but...) Where to get rpm's (for 10.0)?
> >
> > I doubt you'll find RPM's for NB 5.5 yet.
> >
> > If you want the installer to install for everybody then just install it to
> > an
> > appropriate common location.  An example might be /usr/bin/netbeans. You
> > would want to create the netbeans folder in this location. (You'd want to be
> > root while doing this or it will be a very short install process.)
> >
> > You would then create a menu item in the KDE/GNOME menu for netbeans.
> >
> > When you launch, it will create a local ./netbeans folder for your stuff.
> >
> > --
> > kai ponte
> > www.perfectreign.com
> >
> > --
> > Check the headers for your unsubscription address
> > For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
> > Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
> > Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> Check the headers for your unsubscription address
> For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
> Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
> Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]
>
>
>

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

Peter Van Lone
In reply to this post by cjgunzel
On 11/7/06, Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Additionally, HG, you might want to subscribe to the NetBeans mailing
> lists, especially nbusers.  You can do so at the www.netbeans.org
> site.  Many helpful people there (including Kai).  If you are a Java
> developer and you have not yet tried NB you are in for a treat!

just out of curiosity ... can anyone compare the netbeans IDE  to eclipse?

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

PerfectReign
On Thursday 09 November 2006 06:43, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> On 11/7/06, Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Additionally, HG, you might want to subscribe to the NetBeans mailing
> > lists, especially nbusers.  You can do so at the www.netbeans.org
> > site.  Many helpful people there (including Kai).  If you are a Java
> > developer and you have not yet tried NB you are in for a treat!
>
> just out of curiosity ... can anyone compare the netbeans IDE  to eclipse?

I'd be happy to. First, a little background. I started out using IDE's with
Visual Basic 2.0 back in '93. Though I used a few 4GL tools, I've been
programming in VB ever since. I still do a bit of maintenance on VB6 apps and
am in charge of  a HUGE development effort, mostly using Visual Studio 2002
as the IDE. (C# is the primary language.)   As far as I'm concerned VB is THE
development environment standard to which I compare all others in terms of
ease of use and RAD.

I avoided Java like the plague for many years due to their lack of having a
good IDE. In fact, it wasn't until I started playing with Eclipse that I even
gave Java a second look. I like the Write-Once Run-Anywhere idea, but the
development tools just sucked, in my opinion. There's nothing - IMO - worse
than trying to put a GUI program together using a mix of grid bag, flow, and
directional layouts. Ugh!  By comparison, in VB/Visual Studio I was able to
simply drag and drop my controls and resize. The only problem was that the
apps are Win32 or Win64 and don't run on Linux or Macintosh.

Finally, Eclipse came along. I felt it was a godsend for finally being able to
do cross-platform RAD development. I eagerly loaded it up on my Windows and
Linux workstations and went to town. However, I found that it suffered from a
bad  mentality. I couldn't do the GUI wanted without having to resort to
nesting layouts like in straight Java.

I then tried Instantiation's Window Builder using their SWT layout designer.
It works beautifully on Windows but would always crash on Linux. Also, I am
not very bright, and so had a heck of a time determining how to include the
non-native SWT libraries in my runtime distribution.

Giving up, I started loading Netbeans 5 with the Matisse designer. All I can
say is that Matisse rox! It allows for easy drag-n-drop layout using any or
all styles that I need (within SWING/AWT) and it doesn't crash. :)  I found
it easy for my little brain to determine how to roll out the apps and attach
to databases.  It also is a well laid out GUI in itself and scales well.
Also, if you want to run it in MDI or SDI mode, you can. (Are you GIMP peeps
reading this?)

In other words, I think NetBeans/Matisse is the best GUI IDE that I've seen
since VB/VS.   Now, that said, I haven't run any of the lastest (in the past
year) versions of Eclipse or JBuilder or Jigloo. They may have progressed, I
don't know.

For example, here's an app I really need to get back to in Windows...

http://donutmonster.com/stuff/dm_screen051024.jpg

...and in Linux...

http://donutmonster.com/stuff/dm_screen051024_linux.jpg


Give it a try. At the very least you will be out some time, and you will have
learned a bit more of what's out there.

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com
www.4thedadz.com

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NetBeans 5.5 Released

HG-2
In reply to this post by PerfectReign
Hi!

On 11/7/06, Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:38, HG wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > >
> > > http://www.netbeans.org/products/
> >
> > What would be the preferred method for installing this? Again, I find
> > myself to be a newbie :-) ... I only found an installer that seems to
> > install Netbeans for one user and not for everybody. (This is actually
> > ok for me at home, but...) Where to get rpm's (for 10.0)?
>
> I doubt you'll find RPM's for NB 5.5 yet.
>
> If you want the installer to install for everybody then just install it to an
> appropriate common location.  An example might be /usr/bin/netbeans. You

Yes, I figured that if I run it as root, and install it to
"appropriate common location" then it might work. Or course, I'd have
to learn how to create KDE menu items for all users too. I already
failed the first part, the "appropriate common location". How's one to
know what that is in OpenSUSE linux? It's probably not the same as in
XYZ linux, is it?

Isn't RPM's taking care of all this? So why suddenly make the user
have to know these things? I do not like this way. I used to tell
everybody that it's much easier to install software in SUSE than it is
in Windows. (Not really, as in windows you run installer and click
nextnextnext, in SUSE you select the software from list and click
install. And in both it is then miraculously installed to the correct
place and added to the programs menu. Afaik, even in OS X you have to
know where to install software - yes, you just drag it there, but
where is "there"?) Is this the future, or is this just SUN?

I was also going to download the latest JDK from SUN, but it seemed to
have the same "installer" so I didn't bother. Will it install itself
correctly to SUSE? Will it be managed by Yast or smart? With RPM,
there would be no problems, but now I didn't bother to try. I'll try
to send feedback to SUN someday (when I have the time to find out how
and to register to all places where I need to register to send the two
line feedback...).

> would want to create the netbeans folder in this location. (You'd want to be
> root while doing this or it will be a very short install process.)
>
> You would then create a menu item in the KDE/GNOME menu for netbeans.

Luckily, I do not have to learn this yet (I do not have to install it
to anybody else). But thanks anyways :-)

Oh, I did start eclipse (as I had that easily installed in SUSE), but
I didn't quite get going with it. I liked NetBeans much more. I really
hope that the openSUSE guys could get NB included directly in the
distro. Although, I'm not sure about the license. Yes, it's free to
use, but it SUN license, so it might not be possible. It would be
great though.

--
HG.

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Loading...