Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

Venkatesh Murugesan
Hi everyone,
                    I downloaded the iso image for the net install, and
burnt to cd. I tried to boot from the cd on my laptop, but all i saw was a
cursor, and then it proceeded to the windows xp welcome screen. I have
verified the checksums. They seem to be ok. Anyways, I am now resorting to
downloading all 5 cds but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to why
the net install didn't seem to work, please do let me know. Cheers!

^___^

Venkatesh.

Re: Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

Carl Hartung
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 13:09, Venkatesh Murugesan wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>                     I downloaded the iso image for the net install, and
> burnt to cd. I tried to boot from the cd on my laptop, but all i saw was a
> cursor, and then it proceeded to the windows xp welcome screen. I have
> verified the checksums. They seem to be ok. Anyways, I am now resorting to
> downloading all 5 cds but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to why
> the net install didn't seem to work, please do let me know. Cheers!
>
> ^___^
>
> Venkatesh.

Hi Venkatesh,

Did you verify that the laptop BIOS is set to allow booting from the CD drive?

Carl

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

stephan beal
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 19:09, Venkatesh Murugesan wrote:
>                     I downloaded the iso image for the net install,
> and burnt to cd. I tried to boot from the cd on my laptop, but all i
> saw was a cursor, and then it proceeded to the windows xp welcome
> screen.

It sounds like your laptop is set up to boot from hard drive before CD.
This was the (annoying) case on my Acer laptop as well. This can be
corrected in the BIOS, normally in the "Boot" section, by re-ordering
the priority of the boot devices and ensuring that booting from CD
comes before booting from hard disk.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

Venkatesh Murugesan
Hi Stephan,
                   Thank you for your reply. The sequence of events which I
described in my first email, in which there was just a blinking cursor
before loading up windows again when i had the SUSE cd in the computer, was
after I had reordered the boot list in the BIOS. In order to verify this, I
loaded a toshiba recovery cd, and I was able to boot from that cd fine. Now,
instead of using the net install iso, i managed to download all 5 cd isos,
checked their md5sums, and burnt them to disk. I tried booting from cd 1 and
I get the same results as when I tried to boot from the net install cd,
:(((((. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions, cheers!!!

Venkatesh.

On 8/10/06, stephan beal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 19:09, Venkatesh Murugesan wrote:
> >                     I downloaded the iso image for the net install,
> > and burnt to cd. I tried to boot from the cd on my laptop, but all i
> > saw was a cursor, and then it proceeded to the windows xp welcome
> > screen.
>
> It sounds like your laptop is set up to boot from hard drive before CD.
> This was the (annoying) case on my Acer laptop as well. This can be
> corrected in the BIOS, normally in the "Boot" section, by re-ordering
> the priority of the boot devices and ensuring that booting from CD
> comes before booting from hard disk.
>

> --
> ----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
> "...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands
> of the will." -- Alan W. Watts

Re: Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

david rankin
>From: "Venkatesh Murugesan" <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi Stephan,
>                   Thank you for your reply. The sequence of events which I
> described in my first email, in which there was just a blinking cursor
> before loading up windows again when i had the SUSE cd in the computer,
> was
> after I had reordered the boot list in the BIOS. In order to verify this,
> loaded a toshiba recovery cd, and I was able to boot from that cd fine.
> Now,
> instead of using the net install iso, i managed to download all 5 cd isos,
> checked their md5sums, and burnt them to disk. I tried booting from cd 1
> and
> I get the same results as when I tried to boot from the net install cd,
> :(((((. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions, cheers!!!
>
> Venkatesh.
>
> On 8/10/06, stephan beal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 19:09, Venkatesh Murugesan wrote:
>> >                     I downloaded the iso image for the net install,
>> > and burnt to cd. I tried to boot from the cd on my laptop, but all i
>> > saw was a cursor, and then it proceeded to the windows xp welcome
>> > screen.
>>
>> It sounds like your laptop is set up to boot from hard drive before CD.
>> This was the (annoying) case on my Acer laptop as well. This can be
>> corrected in the BIOS, normally in the "Boot" section, by re-ordering
>> the priority of the boot devices and ensuring that booting from CD
>> comes before booting from hard disk.

Venkatesh,

    It sounds like you are not correctly burning the .iso images to cd
before installing them. How are you doing this?? You can't simply copy the
images to cd, you have to burn/expand the .iso to the cd. What software are
you using to do this???

    I appologize if this is too basic, but both the net install cd and cd1
of the 5 cd set should both boot without ANY problems if burned correctly...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

Venkatesh Murugesan
Hey David,
                 Thank you for your suggestions , and you were right! I
can't believe I didn't burn the iso images properly!!! Doohhh!!!!

Cheers!!!

On 8/11/06, david rankin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >From: "Venkatesh Murugesan" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi Stephan,
> >                   Thank you for your reply. The sequence of events which
> > described in my first email, in which there was just a blinking cursor
> > before loading up windows again when i had the SUSE cd in the computer,
> > was
> > after I had reordered the boot list in the BIOS. In order to verify
> this,
> > loaded a toshiba recovery cd, and I was able to boot from that cd fine.
> > Now,
> > instead of using the net install iso, i managed to download all 5 cd
> isos,
> > checked their md5sums, and burnt them to disk. I tried booting from cd 1
> > and
> > I get the same results as when I tried to boot from the net install cd,
> > :(((((. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions, cheers!!!
> >
> > Venkatesh.

> >> It sounds like your laptop is set up to boot from hard drive before CD.
> >> This was the (annoying) case on my Acer laptop as well. This can be
> >> corrected in the BIOS, normally in the "Boot" section, by re-ordering
> >> the priority of the boot devices and ensuring that booting from CD
> >> comes before booting from hard disk.
> >>

> Venkatesh,
>
>     It sounds like you are not correctly burning the .iso images to cd
> before installing them. How are you doing this?? You can't simply copy the
> images to cd, you have to burn/expand the .iso to the cd. What software
> are
> you using to do this???
>
>     I appologize if this is too basic, but both the net install cd and cd1
> of the 5 cd set should both boot without ANY problems if burned
> correctly...
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
> RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC
> 510 Ochiltree Street
> Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> (936) 715-9333
> (936) 715-9339 fax
> www.rankinlawfirm.com

> For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
> Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Net install of SUSE 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite M-30

david rankin
>From: "Venkatesh Murugesan" <[hidden email]>
>
> Hey David,
>                 Thank you for your suggestions , and you were right! I
> can't believe I didn't burn the iso images properly!!! Doohhh!!!!
>
> Cheers!!!

Hey, don't feel bad, I've been there ... believe me...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC

On Friday 11 August 2006 18:26, Venkatesh Murugesan wrote:
> Hey David,
>                  Thank you for your suggestions , and you were right! I
> can't believe I didn't burn the iso images properly!!! Doohhh!!!!
>
> Cheers!!!

This 'dangling thread' was annoying me ... the non-resolution status,
Venkatesh, not you :-) ... so thanks for making a great call, David, and
finding the resolution.