NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Istvan Gabor
Hello:

In openSUSE 10.3 with the openSUSE NVIDIA package
installed the NVIDIA logo does not show up before the kde
logion screen is shown. Is this the normal default behavior?
How can I make the logo visible?
Thanks,
IG

Kisorsolunk 10 LAPTOP-ot! Most hirdess az apronet.hu-n, és MEGNYERHETED az egyiket!
http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,221222,269392/click.prm

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Randall Schulz
On Saturday 10 November 2007 11:13, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:
>
> In openSUSE 10.3 with the openSUSE NVIDIA package
> installed the NVIDIA logo does not show up before the kde
> logion screen is shown. Is this the normal default behavior?
> How can I make the logo visible?

Wow. Things must be going _really_ well on your system if you're down to
trying to get the NVIDIA logo to display!

Anyway, on my 10.3 box (with a lowly 7300 card from PNY installed), I do
indeed see the NVIDIA logo screen every time X starts (_not_ exactly
the same as when KDE starts, unless you count kdm as KDE). This
includes not only upon each system start-up but also after each logout
(when then X server gets restarted and hence the nvidia device driver
gets closed and reopened).

As to whether it's the default (meaning that it can be changed at all),
I don't know, but I ran /usr/bin//nvidia-settings and cannot find an
option there to control this behavior.

> Thanks,
> IG

Randall Schulz

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Bugzilla from Ben.Kevan@gmail.com
On Saturday 10 November 2007 12:03:24 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:

> On Saturday 10 November 2007 11:13, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > In openSUSE 10.3 with the openSUSE NVIDIA package
> > installed the NVIDIA logo does not show up before the kde
> > logion screen is shown. Is this the normal default behavior?
> > How can I make the logo visible?
>
> Wow. Things must be going _really_ well on your system if you're down to
> trying to get the NVIDIA logo to display!
>
> Anyway, on my 10.3 box (with a lowly 7300 card from PNY installed), I do
> indeed see the NVIDIA logo screen every time X starts (_not_ exactly
> the same as when KDE starts, unless you count kdm as KDE). This
> includes not only upon each system start-up but also after each logout
> (when then X server gets restarted and hence the nvidia device driver
> gets closed and reopened).
>
> As to whether it's the default (meaning that it can be changed at all),
> I don't know, but I ran /usr/bin//nvidia-settings and cannot find an
> option there to control this behavior.
>
> > Thanks,
> > IG
>
> Randall Schulz

Or you can just add:

Option "NoLogo"

Under your device section of your xorg.conf

You can do:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep NoLogo

and if it comes back with nothing then you should be getting the Logo if
installed correctly.

Ben

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Scott Jones-6
On Saturday 10 November 2007, Istvan Gabor wrote:

> Hello:
>
> In openSUSE 10.3 with the openSUSE NVIDIA package
> installed the NVIDIA logo does not show up before the kde
> logion screen is shown. Is this the normal default behavior?
> How can I make the logo visible?

By default, the logo is shown.  Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if you have
the following line, and remove it if so:

Option "NoLogo" "yes" (could also be 1 or true)

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Randall Schulz
On Saturday 10 November 2007 12:41, Ben Kevan wrote:

> On Saturday 10 November 2007 12:03:24 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> > As to whether it's the default (meaning that it can be changed at
> > all), I don't know, but I ran /usr/bin//nvidia-settings and cannot
> > find an option there to control this behavior.
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > IG
> >
> > Randall Schulz
>
> Or you can just add:
>
> Option "NoLogo"
>
> Under your device section of your xorg.conf
>
> You can do:
> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep NoLogo

That's good to know, but let's nip in the bud this "cat piped to
fill-in-the-blanks" business. It is the rare Unix command that only
reads standard input (they exist, but they're uncommon).

This is the idiomatic (and easier to type and of lower overhead) way to
accomplish what you're suggesting:

% grep NoLogo /etc/X11/xorg.conf

> Ben

Randall Schulz

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Eberhard Roloff
Ben Kevan wrote:

> On Saturday 10 November 2007 12:03:24 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:
>> On Saturday 10 November 2007 11:13, Istvan Gabor wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> In openSUSE 10.3 with the openSUSE NVIDIA package
>>> installed the NVIDIA logo does not show up before the kde
>>> logion screen is shown. Is this the normal default behavior?
>>> How can I make the logo visible?
>> Wow. Things must be going _really_ well on your system if you're down to
>> trying to get the NVIDIA logo to display!
>>
>> Anyway, on my 10.3 box (with a lowly 7300 card from PNY installed), I do
>> indeed see the NVIDIA logo screen every time X starts (_not_ exactly
>> the same as when KDE starts, unless you count kdm as KDE). This
>> includes not only upon each system start-up but also after each logout
>> (when then X server gets restarted and hence the nvidia device driver
>> gets closed and reopened).
>>
>> As to whether it's the default (meaning that it can be changed at all),
>> I don't know, but I ran /usr/bin//nvidia-settings and cannot find an
>> option there to control this behavior.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> IG
>> Randall Schulz
>
> Or you can just add:
>
> Option "NoLogo"
>
> Under your device section of your xorg.conf
>
> You can do:
> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep NoLogo
>
> and if it comes back with nothing then you should be getting the Logo if
> installed correctly.
>
> Ben
Although this is not the largest of my problems, I only very rarely see
the logo.
I think, it appears just once, when switching to compiz or back or so.
Most of the time, my X starts "NoLogo", but at the same time, I do *not*
have this command in my xorg.conf.

Anyway, what counts for me is that my X apparently works accelerated.
eroloff@grey:~> rpm -qa |grep nvidia
x11-video-nvidiaG01-100.14.19-4
nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-100.14.19_2.6.22.5_30-1.1

And now back to things that are more important, at least for me...

Kind regards
Eberhard

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Bugzilla from Ben.Kevan@gmail.com

> This is the idiomatic (and easier to type and of lower overhead) way to
> accomplish what you're suggesting:
>
> % grep NoLogo /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>

> Randall Schulz

LOL, Thanks Randall..

I know the method you provided is less overhead but sometimes to me the piping
helps me visually see the difference in commands.. I know I know horrible
practice but I am not a Bash scripter etc.

Maybe I should start getting used to the suggested methods as you provided..

Doh!..

Ben

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Randall Schulz
On Saturday 10 November 2007 13:48, Ben Kevan wrote:

> > This is the idiomatic (and easier to type and of lower overhead)
> > way to accomplish what you're suggesting:
> >
> > % grep NoLogo /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> LOL, Thanks Randall..
>
> I know the method you provided is less overhead but sometimes to me
> the piping helps me visually see the difference in commands..

Well, that's fine, but the point is that only one real command is
essential to accomplish the task you were describing. Arbitrarily and
unnecessarily complicating the command you use to achieve any given end
doesn't really help, does it?

> I know horrible practice but I am not a Bash scripter etc.

I live and breath BASH scripting, though I continue to rely on the
documentation for many of the less common capabilities. The syntax is
pretty funky and overly baroque, if you ask me, but for a lot of
things, it gets the job done and is as universal as anything in the
Unix / Linux world.

By the way, another equivalent to your command and my replacement for it
is this:

% grep NoLogo </etc/X11/xorg.conf

In this case, the shell opens the file and if there's a problem doing so
(file non-existent or unreadable, e.g.), the shell gives you the
diagnostic without even invoking the actual command.

> Ben

Randall Schulz

Re: NVIDIA logo in 10.3

Istvan Gabor
Hello:

>Wow. Things must be going _really_ well on your system if
>you're down to trying to get the NVIDIA logo to display!

It's not that it is so important but it is strange that it does not
show. If something changes without my intervention I like to
know what the reason is.

>I do indeed see the NVIDIA logo screen every time X starts
>(_not_ exactly the same as when KDE starts, unless you
>count kdm as KDE). This includes not only upon each system
>start-up but also after each logout (when then X server gets
>restarted and hence the nvidia device driver gets closed and
>reopened).

It used to work for me like this in previous SUSE (10.2 10.1
10.0) versions. But in those systems I used NVIDIA's sh script
to build the driver.

>cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep NoLogo
>
>and if it comes back with nothing then you should be getting
>the Logo if installed correctly.

I have no  <Option "NoLogo"> line in my xorg.conf file.

I have these nvidia packages installed:

nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-100.14.19_2.6.22.5_30-1.1
x11-video-nvidiaG01-100.14.19-4

Thanks,
IG

PÁRATLAN AKCIÓ MOST!
Mosógépek,mosogatógépek, beépíthető gépek
ORSZÁGOS kiszállítással az AEGshop.hu-tól
http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,222445,270525/click.prm