NVIDIA 9400GT unknown device

Hans de Faber-2
I have recently bought a ASUS EN9400GT Silent videocard.

After installing the nvidia videodriver this driver cannot be used.

The logfile Xorg0.log gives the following info:
-----
 X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux jjm1 2.6.27.25-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-07-01
15:37:09 +0200 x86_64
Build Date: 02 July 2009  08:00:37AM

(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) unknown vendor (0x10de) unknown chipset (0x065b) rev 161,
Mem @ 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @
0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
-----

I had some spare time and a spare partition so I installed a very recent
release of sabayon linux, because some review told me "the most recent video
drivers"
This installation recognized my videocard.
This Xorg0.log showed me the next info:
-----
X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.25-sabayon x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux sabayon 2.6.29-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Jun 11
13:33:04 UTC 2009 x86_64
Build Date: 21 June 2009  05:20:59PM

(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] rev 161, Mem @
0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @
0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
(II

But I this card should run in OpenSuse, what should must be updated ?

Thanks, Hans

Re: NVIDIA 9400GT unknown device

Rodney Baker-2
On Monday 17 August 2009 06:35:29 Hans de Faber wrote:

> I have recently bought a ASUS EN9400GT Silent videocard.
>
> After installing the nvidia videodriver this driver cannot be used.
>
> The logfile Xorg0.log gives the following info:
> -----
>  X.Org X Server 1.5.2
> Release Date: 10 October 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
> Current Operating System: Linux jjm1 2.6.27.25-0.1-default #1 SMP
> 2009-07-01 15:37:09 +0200 x86_64
> Build Date: 02 July 2009  08:00:37AM
>
> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) unknown vendor (0x10de) unknown chipset (0x065b) rev
> 161, Mem @ 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432,
> I/O @ 0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
> -----
>
> I had some spare time and a spare partition so I installed a very recent
> release of sabayon linux, because some review told me "the most recent
> video drivers"
> This installation recognized my videocard.
> This Xorg0.log showed me the next info:
> -----
> X.Org X Server 1.5.3
> Release Date: 5 November 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.25-sabayon x86_64
> Current Operating System: Linux sabayon 2.6.29-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Jun 11
> 13:33:04 UTC 2009 x86_64
> Build Date: 21 June 2009  05:20:59PM
>
> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] rev 161, Mem @
> 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @
> 0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
> (II
>
> But I this card should run in OpenSuse, what should must be updated ?
>
> Thanks, Hans

Hans,

Install the latest version of the nvidia proprietary drivers (currenly
185.18.31); you can either do this via the nvidia repository using Yast or
compile from source.

Instructions for both methods are on the nvidia web site (as well as a
download link for the proprietary installer (which compiles from source) and
the Yast repository.

HTH.

Rodney Baker schreef:

> On Monday 17 August 2009 06:35:29 Hans de Faber wrote:
>> I have recently bought a ASUS EN9400GT Silent videocard.
>>
>> After installing the nvidia videodriver this driver cannot be used.
>>
>> The logfile Xorg0.log gives the following info:
>> -----
>>  X.Org X Server 1.5.2
>> Release Date: 10 October 2008
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>> Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
>> Current Operating System: Linux jjm1 2.6.27.25-0.1-default #1 SMP
>> 2009-07-01 15:37:09 +0200 x86_64
>> Build Date: 02 July 2009  08:00:37AM
>>
>> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) unknown vendor (0x10de) unknown chipset (0x065b) rev
>> 161, Mem @ 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432,
>> I/O @ 0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
>> -----
>>
>> I had some spare time and a spare partition so I installed a very recent
>> release of sabayon linux, because some review told me "the most recent
>> video drivers"
>> This installation recognized my videocard.
>> This Xorg0.log showed me the next info:
>> -----
>> X.Org X Server 1.5.3
>> Release Date: 5 November 2008
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.25-sabayon x86_64
>> Current Operating System: Linux sabayon 2.6.29-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Jun 11
>> 13:33:04 UTC 2009 x86_64
>> Build Date: 21 June 2009  05:20:59PM
>>
>> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] rev 161, Mem @
>> 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @
>> 0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
>> (II
>>
>> But I this card should run in OpenSuse, what should must be updated ?
>>
>> Thanks, Hans
>
> Hans,
>
> Install the latest version of the nvidia proprietary drivers (currenly
> 185.18.31); you can either do this via the nvidia repository using Yast or
> compile from source.
>
> Instructions for both methods are on the nvidia web site (as well as a
> download link for the proprietary installer (which compiles from source) and
> the Yast repository.
>
> HTH.

Thanks,I think it is not the solution for different reasons
1. Opensuse and Sabayon use both nvidiadrivers 185.18.14
2. Nvidia 185.18.31 is not available in the opensuse repositories, 185.18.14 is.
3. Last weeks I read more in this forum about geforce 9400 cards which would
not work on opensuse without any solution.

I think it is a hal or x11 problem.
But if nvidia version comes available on the nvidia repo I give it a chance.

Thanks,Hans

Re: NVIDIA 9400GT unknown device X11 problem ?

Hans de Faber-2
Hans de Faber schreef:

> Rodney Baker schreef:
>> On Monday 17 August 2009 06:35:29 Hans de Faber wrote:
>>> I have recently bought a ASUS EN9400GT Silent videocard.
>>>
>>> After installing the nvidia videodriver this driver cannot be used.
>>>
>>> The logfile Xorg0.log gives the following info:
>>> -----
>>>  X.Org X Server 1.5.2
>>> Release Date: 10 October 2008
>>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>>> Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
>>> Current Operating System: Linux jjm1 2.6.27.25-0.1-default #1 SMP
>>> 2009-07-01 15:37:09 +0200 x86_64
>>> Build Date: 02 July 2009  08:00:37AM
>>>
>>> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) unknown vendor (0x10de) unknown chipset (0x065b) rev
>>> 161, Mem @ 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432,
>>> I/O @ 0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
>>> -----
>>>
>>> I had some spare time and a spare partition so I installed a very recent
>>> release of sabayon linux, because some review told me "the most recent
>>> video drivers"
>>> This installation recognized my videocard.
>>> This Xorg0.log showed me the next info:
>>> -----
>>> X.Org X Server 1.5.3
>>> Release Date: 5 November 2008
>>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>>> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.25-sabayon x86_64
>>> Current Operating System: Linux sabayon 2.6.29-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Jun 11
>>> 13:33:04 UTC 2009 x86_64
>>> Build Date: 21 June 2009  05:20:59PM
>>>
>>> (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] rev 161, Mem @
>>> 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/536870912, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @
>>> 0x0000ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
>>> (II
>>>
>>> But I this card should run in OpenSuse, what should must be updated ?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Hans
>> Hans,
>>
>> Install the latest version of the nvidia proprietary drivers (currenly
>> 185.18.31); you can either do this via the nvidia repository using Yast or
>> compile from source.
>>
>> Instructions for both methods are on the nvidia web site (as well as a
>> download link for the proprietary installer (which compiles from source) and
>> the Yast repository.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
> Thanks,I think it is not the solution for different reasons
> 1. Opensuse and Sabayon use both nvidiadrivers 185.18.14
> 2. Nvidia 185.18.31 is not available in the opensuse repositories, 185.18.14 is.
> 3. Last weeks I read more in this forum about geforce 9400 cards which would
> not work on opensuse without any solution.
>
> I think it is a hal or x11 problem.
> But if nvidia version comes available on the nvidia repo I give it a chance.
>
> Thanks,Hans

Nvidia proprietary driver is now at 185.18.31.
Nothing changed.
The above mentioned error line starting with "(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0)" Wich program
generates it? X11 ?

On Monday 17 August 2009 21:20:49 Hans de Faber wrote:

> Hans de Faber schreef:
> > Rodney Baker schreef:

> >> Hans,
> >>
> >> Install the latest version of the nvidia proprietary drivers (currenly
> >> 185.18.31); you can either do this via the nvidia repository using Yast
> >> or compile from source.
> >>
> >> Instructions for both methods are on the nvidia web site (as well as a
> >> download link for the proprietary installer (which compiles from source)
> >> and the Yast repository.
> >>
> >> HTH.
> >
> > Thanks,I think it is not the solution for different reasons
> > 1. Opensuse and Sabayon use both nvidiadrivers 185.18.14
> > 2. Nvidia 185.18.31 is not available in the opensuse repositories,
> > 185.18.14 is. 3. Last weeks I read more in this forum about geforce 9400
> > cards which would not work on opensuse without any solution.
> >
> > I think it is a hal or x11 problem.
> > But if nvidia version comes available on the nvidia repo I give it a
> > chance.
> >
> > Thanks,Hans
>
> Nvidia proprietary driver is now at 185.18.31.
> Nothing changed.
> The above mentioned error line starting with "(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0)" Wich
> program generates it? X11 ?

Did you install the 64-bit version of the driver or the 32-bit version? Just
asking because I see you're running x86-64.

I'm using the same card (9400GT) on openSuse 11.2 RC i586 (32bit) with the
185.18.31 drivers with no problems.

I'm fairly sure that there are different drivers for x86-64 on the nvidia
site.

Rodney Baker schreef:

> On Monday 17 August 2009 21:20:49 Hans de Faber wrote:
>> Hans de Faber schreef:

>>> Thanks,I think it is not the solution for different reasons
>>> 1. Opensuse and Sabayon use both nvidiadrivers 185.18.14
>>> 2. Nvidia 185.18.31 is not available in the opensuse repositories,
>>> 185.18.14 is. 3. Last weeks I read more in this forum about geforce 9400
>>> cards which would not work on opensuse without any solution.
>>>
>>> I think it is a hal or x11 problem.
>>> But if nvidia version comes available on the nvidia repo I give it a
>>> chance.
>>>
>>> Thanks,Hans
>> Nvidia proprietary driver is now at 185.18.31.
>> Nothing changed.
>> The above mentioned error line starting with "(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0)" Wich
>> program generates it? X11 ?
>
> Did you install the 64-bit version of the driver or the 32-bit version? Just
> asking because I see you're running x86-64.
>
> I'm using the same card (9400GT) on openSuse 11.2 RC i586 (32bit) with the
> 185.18.31 drivers with no problems.
>
> I'm fairly sure that there are different drivers for x86-64 on the nvidia
> site.

I use the 64 bit driver on a 64 bit OpenSuse 11.1 on a 64bit AMD Phenom II X2
550. Everything is 64 bit. motherboard is gigabyte ma770t-udp3.
I've tried different fresh installs but it ended up always in exactly the same
troubles. Only the sabayon install worked correct with the same version nvdia
driver.
So i concluded its not HW related, it is an OpenSuse config problem.
I think I should wait on OpenSuse 11.2.
On the other side I think it not normal to wait 4 months to solve a config error.

Re: NVIDIA 9400GT unknown device X11 problem ?

Juan De Vincenzo
Have you tried installing the drivers the hard way or only through the
repositories. You should try that to at least be able to determine if
they work that way.

Juan De Vincenzo schreef:
> Have you tried installing the drivers the hard way or only through the
> repositories. You should try that to at least be able to determine if
> they work that way.

The last one V185.18.31 which is not yet in the repo is installed the hard way.
The crucial question is which program generates the first error.
It is before the nvidia driver is touched I think it is X11.
So it could be a HAL or X11 problem

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Hans de Faber<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Rodney Baker schreef:

>>> Did you install the 64-bit version of the driver or the 32-bit version? Just
>>> asking because I see you're running x86-64.
>>>
>>> I'm using the same card (9400GT) on openSuse 11.2 RC i586 (32bit) with the
>>> 185.18.31 drivers with no problems.
>>>
>>> I'm fairly sure that there are different drivers for x86-64 on the nvidia
>>> site.
>> I use the 64 bit driver on a 64 bit OpenSuse 11.1 on a 64bit AMD Phenom II X2
>> 550. Everything is 64 bit. motherboard is gigabyte ma770t-udp3.
>> I've tried different fresh installs but it ended up always in exactly the same
>> troubles. Only the sabayon install worked correct with the same version nvdia
>> driver.
>> So i concluded its not HW related, it is an OpenSuse config problem.
>> I think I should wait on OpenSuse 11.2.
>> On the other side I think it not normal to wait 4 months to solve a config error.

Re: NVIDIA 9400GT unknown device X11 problem ?

Hans de Faber-2
No knowledge available in the hollyday season ???