NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site.

Fred A. Miller
If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA!
'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site.

John Andersen-2
On Thursday 03 December 2009 01:03:39 am Fred A. Miller wrote:

> If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
> tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
> client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
> chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
> init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
> Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
> community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!
>
> Fred

Great news Fred.  I hope it includes drivers for all the cards that used to work
with the ATI because even tho some of them were on ATIs site, they wouldn't
build under 11.2.

David Rankin will be happy to hear this if it works.  I'm trying mine now.

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site.

C-29
> If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
> tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
> client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
> chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
> init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
> Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
> community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!

Sadly that repo is very unlikely to cover the "legacy" ATI hardware
like the x1200 I have.  Annoying that they did the whole drop support
for all cards thing.  The open source driver is not good enough yet...
I get loads of graphical artifacts on screen with my 1200 and the os
driver.

One question... why run sax2?  Are you aware that sax2 is being phased
out, replaced by xrandr and the associated GUI apps in Gnome/KDE4?  In
theory, all you should have to do is start the GUI Display config app.
 The old xorg.conf config thing is going away - you can still use it
for custom configs that the X autodetect does no get quite right,
but.. in most cases is unnecessary with 11.2 now.

On 12/3/2009 9:39 AM, Clayton wrote:

> One question... why run sax2?  Are you aware that sax2 is being phased
> out, replaced by xrandr and the associated GUI apps in Gnome/KDE4?  In
> theory, all you should have to do is start the GUI Display config app.
>   The old xorg.conf config thing is going away - you can still use it
> for custom configs that the X autodetect does no get quite right,
> but.. in most cases is unnecessary with 11.2 now.

Why run Sax2?  Because you have no xorg.conf for ATI to modify unless you do.

As for xorg.conf going away, I think you mis-understand.  Its not
going away.  Opensuse gens one up on the fly at boot time if none
exists.

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site = FAIL !!!

John Andersen-2
On Thursday 03 December 2009 09:21:37 am John Andersen wrote:

> On Thursday 03 December 2009 01:03:39 am Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
> > tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
> > client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
> > chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
> > init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
> > Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
> > community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!
> >
> > Fred
>
> Great news Fred.  I hope it includes drivers for all the cards that used to
>  work with the ATI because even tho some of them were on ATIs site, they
>  wouldn't build under 11.2.
>
> David Rankin will be happy to hear this if it works.  I'm trying mine now.

Don't bother with this if you have a Radeon model less than 2000.
It STILL broken. fglrx still detects xorg 7.1 when you are actually running 7.4,
and fails to load.

Hopeless bunch of bozos those AMD guys.

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site.

C-29
> Why run Sax2?  Because you have no xorg.conf for ATI to modify unless you
> do.

I don't have 11.2 running on my one system with ATI (since I'm stuck
with the x1200 which means 11.0 is the last openSUSE I can run there..
11.1 won't install on that machine)... so I don't know exactly what
ATI requires.  With my nVidia systems I didn't have to run sax2 at all
to have them work.  There was no need to run sax2 at all (as was
required up to 11.1)... even with the Beta nVidia binary driver that I
installed (I'm not using repo drivers).

There should be no need for running sax2 on most systems running 11.2
- as was discussed on the Factory list, it's only a few "corner" cases
that don't work with the autoconfig thing.

> As for xorg.conf going away, I think you mis-understand.  Its not
> going away.  Opensuse gens one up on the fly at boot time if none
> exists.

Interestingly, there is no xorg.conf on my laptop (has an intel 945GME
video card)... I just double checked.  So in that case.. xorg.conf has
gone away (or is hiding elsewhere than the usual /etc/X11 directory).

C.

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site = FAIL !!!

Bugzilla from deans.mail.list@gmail.com
On 09/12/03 12:52 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> On Thursday 03 December 2009 09:21:37 am John Andersen wrote:
>

> Don't bother with this if you have a Radeon model less than 2000.
> It STILL broken. fglrx still detects xorg 7.1 when you are actually running 7.4,
> and fails to load.
>
> Hopeless bunch of bozos those AMD guys.

That's because frglx does not support older cards like that anymore. ATI
dropped support for them in frglx and said "use the opensource solutions
such as radeon or radeonHD".

Dean

On 12/3/2009 1:05 PM, Dean Hilkewich wrote:

> On 09/12/03 12:52 PM, John Andersen wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 December 2009 09:21:37 am John Andersen wrote:
>>
>> Don't bother with this if you have a Radeon model less than 2000.
>> It STILL broken. fglrx still detects xorg 7.1 when you are actually
>> running 7.4,
>> and fails to load.
>>
>> Hopeless bunch of bozos those AMD guys.
>>

> That's because frglx does not support older cards like that anymore. ATI
> dropped support for them in frglx and said "use the opensource solutions
> such as radeon or radeonHD".

Actually, my Radeon 1400 card is on the supported list.  Still it does not work
and the Catalyst 9.3 package (the latest released for my card) does
not build on 11.2.

The opensouce "Solutions" should be called fall-back solutions because
the are FAR from satisfactory.

Never the less, ATI fglrx dumps a message saying Xorg 7.1 was detected
and it requires 7.4.  Yet Clearly Opensuse 11.2 is running 7.4.

On 09/12/03 3:11 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> Actually, my Radeon 1400 card is on the supported list.  Still it does
> not work
> and the Catalyst 9.3 package (the latest released for my card) does
> not build on 11.2.
>
> The opensouce "Solutions" should be called fall-back solutions because
> the are FAR from satisfactory.
>
> Never the less, ATI fglrx dumps a message saying Xorg 7.1 was detected
> and it requires 7.4.  Yet Clearly Opensuse 11.2 is running 7.4.

Sorry John but your card is not supported according to the official
release notes.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_911_linux.pdf

Dean

On 12/3/2009 1:12 PM, Dean Hilkewich wrote:

> On 09/12/03 3:11 PM, John Andersen wrote:
>>
>> Actually, my Radeon 1400 card is on the supported list. Still it does
>> not work
>> and the Catalyst 9.3 package (the latest released for my card) does
>> not build on 11.2.
>>
>> The opensouce "Solutions" should be called fall-back solutions because
>> the are FAR from satisfactory.
>>
>> Never the less, ATI fglrx dumps a message saying Xorg 7.1 was detected
>> and it requires 7.4. Yet Clearly Opensuse 11.2 is running 7.4.
>
> Sorry John but your card is not supported according to the official
> release notes.
>
> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_911_linux.pdf
>
> Dean

Yup it is.
See:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.9&lang=English

9.3 is the version supporting my card, however it won't build under 11.2.

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site = FAIL !!!

ne...-2
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 21:16, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/3/2009 1:12 PM, Dean Hilkewich wrote:
>>
>> On 09/12/03 3:11 PM, John Andersen wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, my Radeon 1400 card is on the supported list. Still it does
>>> not work
>>> and the Catalyst 9.3 package (the latest released for my card) does
>>> not build on 11.2.
>>>
>>> The opensouce "Solutions" should be called fall-back solutions because
>>> the are FAR from satisfactory.
>>>
>>> Never the less, ATI fglrx dumps a message saying Xorg 7.1 was detected
>>> and it requires 7.4. Yet Clearly Opensuse 11.2 is running 7.4.
>>
>> Sorry John but your card is not supported according to the official
>> release notes.
>>
>> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_911_linux.pdf
>
> Yup it is.
> See:
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.9&lang=English
>
> 9.3 is the version supporting my card, however it won't build under 11.2.
I just checked the page you listed and your card is definitely not
on the list. Mine is (X1650) tho that is of no help to you. You card
seems to be last supported by the 9.2 series.

ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site = FAIL !!!

Bugzilla from deans.mail.list@gmail.com
On 09/12/03 3:11 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> Actually, my Radeon 1400 card is on the supported list.  Still it does
> not work
> and the Catalyst 9.3 package (the latest released for my card) does
> not build on 11.2.
>
> The opensouce "Solutions" should be called fall-back solutions because
> the are FAR from satisfactory.
>
> Never the less, ATI fglrx dumps a message saying Xorg 7.1 was detected
> and it requires 7.4.  Yet Clearly Opensuse 11.2 is running 7.4.

I should probably clarify my response more, the only drivers that will
compile with the newer kernel and xorg are the 9.11 drivers and they do
not support your card.  Your only option is to use the opensource solutions.

Dean

On Thursday 03 December 2009 01:23:32 pm ne... wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 21:16, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Sorry John but your card is not supported according to the official
> >> release notes.
> >>
> >> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_911_linux.pdf
> >
> > Yup it is.
> > See:
> > http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.asp
> >x?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.9&lang=English
> >
> > 9.3 is the version supporting my card, however it won't build under 11.2.
>
> I just checked the page you listed and your card is definitely not
> on the list. Mine is (X1650) tho that is of no help to you. You card
> seems to be last supported by the 9.2 series.

No, you misread that list.  That lists cards that have been MOVED out of this
driver into the Legacy driver. (what ever the hell that one is).

If you scroll down to Documentation and check the release notes you find
this pdf: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_93_linux.pdf
Which lists my card (x1400) on page 3 as well as your card as being SUPPORTED.

So this driver SHOULD work, but unfortunately, none of the installation methods work because
it does not recognize xorg 4.7.  Even after hacking a few build scripts I can get it to
at least START compiling, but then it craps out with stuff beyond my pay grade.

On 09/12/03 4:46 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> No, you misread that list.  That lists cards that have been MOVED out of this
> driver into the Legacy driver. (what ever the hell that one is).
>
> If you scroll down to Documentation and check the release notes you find
> this pdf: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_93_linux.pdf
> Which lists my card (x1400) on page 3 as well as your card as being SUPPORTED.
>
> So this driver SHOULD work, but unfortunately, none of the installation methods work because
> it does not recognize xorg 4.7.  Even after hacking a few build scripts I can get it to
> at least START compiling, but then it craps out with stuff beyond my pay grade.

John, the 9.3 Catalysts will not compile on any kernel newer then 2.6.27
(or with some hacking up to 2.6.29) but will not compile for 2.6.31
kernels.  You have two real choices here, run openSUSE 11.1 with the ATI
blobs or run the opensource drivers on 11.2. Heck even on non-legacy ATI
cards (2000+) support for 11.2 was just added in the 9.11 Catalysts.

Dean

On Thursday 03 December 2009 03:19:23 pm Dean Hilkewich wrote:

> John, the 9.3 Catalysts will not compile on any kernel newer then 2.6.27
> (or with some hacking up to 2.6.29) but will not compile for 2.6.31
> kernels.  You have two real choices here, run openSUSE 11.1 with the ATI
> blobs or run the opensource drivers on 11.2. Heck even on non-legacy ATI
> cards (2000+) support for 11.2 was just added in the 9.11 Catalysts.
>
> Dean

I'm pretty much stuck with the open source radeon driver at this time
which means no google earth, and totally unusable 3D effects in KDE.

Its a toss up which is more unlikely, the opensource driver becoming capable
or AMD fixing the 9.3 driver.

Luckily this is a Dell 9400 laptop, and I can swap the video out for something
better supported, which I may well do.

On 12/03/2009 12:21 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> On Thursday 03 December 2009 01:03:39 am Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
>> tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
>> client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
>> chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
>> init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
>> Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
>> community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!
>>
>> Fred
>>

> Great news Fred.  I hope it includes drivers for all the cards that used to work
> with the ATI because even tho some of them were on ATIs site, they wouldn't
> build under 11.2.
>
> David Rankin will be happy to hear this if it works.  I'm trying mine now.

Great! There's 2 "unified" drivers there, depending on the chipset. I'm
not that
familiar with ATI, so I don't know how many of the older cards are
supported.

Fred

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to

On 12/03/2009 12:39 PM, Clayton wrote:

>> If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
>> tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
>> client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
>> chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
>> init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
>> Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
>> community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!
>>
> Sadly that repo is very unlikely to cover the "legacy" ATI hardware
> like the x1200 I have.  Annoying that they did the whole drop support
> for all cards thing.  The open source driver is not good enough yet...
> I get loads of graphical artifacts on screen with my 1200 and the os
> driver.
>
> One question... why run sax2?  Are you aware that sax2 is being phased
> out, replaced by xrandr and the associated GUI apps in Gnome/KDE4?  In
> theory, all you should have to do is start the GUI Display config app.
>  The old xorg.conf config thing is going away - you can still use it
> for custom configs that the X autodetect does no get quite right,
> but.. in most cases is unnecessary with 11.2 now.

I'm well aware of all that, however, we're talking ATI here.....I'd
rather take the
extra step of running sax2 just to make certain all right before bring
up the desktop.

Fred

On 12/03/2009 01:52 PM, John Andersen wrote:

> On Thursday 03 December 2009 09:21:37 am John Andersen wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 03 December 2009 01:03:39 am Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> If this has been posted already, then I missed it....SORRY! Earlier
>>> tonight, I added http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/ to the repositories on a
>>> client laptop I mentioned here about a week ago that has the ATI HD-3100
>>> chipset. I installed the site that covers that series, rebooted into
>>> init 3, ran sax2, saved the new config., and then issued init 5.
>>> Acceleration and 3D now work! Thanks to whomever in the openSUSE
>>> community or Novel who got things moving at ATI!
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>> Great news Fred.  I hope it includes drivers for all the cards that used to
>>  work with the ATI because even tho some of them were on ATIs site, they
>>  wouldn't build under 11.2.
>>
>> David Rankin will be happy to hear this if it works.  I'm trying mine now.
>>

> Don't bother with this if you have a Radeon model less than 2000.
> It STILL broken. fglrx still detects xorg 7.1 when you are actually running 7.4,
> and fails to load.
>
> Hopeless bunch of bozos those AMD guys.

'Sorry to hear that! Is it AMD devs. or ATI buffoons? I suspect the
latter simply
because they never have been able to get their act together!!

Fred

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt
to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Re: NEW ATI-openSUSE driver site = FAIL !!!

Roger Oberholtzer
On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 15:44 -0800, John Andersen wrote:

> On Thursday 03 December 2009 03:19:23 pm Dean Hilkewich wrote:
>

> > John, the 9.3 Catalysts will not compile on any kernel newer then 2.6.27
> > (or with some hacking up to 2.6.29) but will not compile for 2.6.31
> > kernels.  You have two real choices here, run openSUSE 11.1 with the ATI
> > blobs or run the opensource drivers on 11.2. Heck even on non-legacy ATI
> > cards (2000+) support for 11.2 was just added in the 9.11 Catalysts.
> >
> > Dean
> >

> I'm pretty much stuck with the open source radeon driver at this time
> which means no google earth, and totally unusable 3D effects in KDE.

I agree about google earth.  I filed a bug at
http://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=559871 Nothing much has
happened yet. Glad (in a left-handed sort of way) that the google earth
issue is not mine alone.

However, I have no trouble with the KDE effects via the radeonhd driver.
I have a FireGL V3300, which IMHO is too new to have been dropped by
ATI. Let me qualify 'no trouble':

1) there are a few artifacts sometimes. They go away rather fast and are
not really a problem.

2) In some editing widgets (I think gnome-based) the cursor often goes
away. I see this in evolution and firefox (e.g., editing a Trac wiki
page). This is the main issue I have. Editing is a real PITA when you
have no cursor part of the time.

Aside from that, radeonhd in 11.2 has made great strides over that in
11.1. I wonder how much further it will go without docs. It is amazing
it has gone so far as it has as a basically reverse-engineering effort.

Be sure to upgrade your radeonhd from the one in the 11,2 distro. The
distro one crashes the system when KDE effects are on. The updated one
does not.

> Its a toss up which is more unlikely, the opensource driver becoming capable
> or AMD fixing the 9.3 driver.
>
> Luckily this is a Dell 9400 laptop, and I can swap the video out for something
> better supported, which I may well do.

Same here. I did this. But the card self-destructed just after the
warranty. I am investigating which NVIDIA card to get next.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 22:46, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 December 2009 01:23:32 pm ne... wrote:

>> > Yup it is.
>> > See:
>> > http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.asp
>> >x?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.9&lang=English
>> >
>> > 9.3 is the version supporting my card, however it won't build under 11.2.
>>
>> I just checked the page you listed and your card is definitely not
>> on the list. Mine is (X1650) tho that is of no help to you. You card
>> seems to be last supported by the 9.2 series.
>
> No, you misread that list.  That lists cards that have been MOVED out of this
> driver into the Legacy driver. (what ever the hell that one is).
You are right. I did misread that. That should have been labeled 'Legacy
Support'. My apologies.

> So this driver SHOULD work, but unfortunately, none of the installation methods work because
> it does not recognize xorg 4.7.
Yep, I tried the rpm from the repo on my box and it crapped out with version
mismatch, so I'm back to the radeon driver with all the screen
artifacts. It reminds
of the good olde days...

ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html