Multiple displays during OS install

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Multiple displays during OS install

Roger Oberholtzer-2
We are testing a new computer and have discovered something
irritating. It claims there is a second (or more) display even though
there is only one connected. So the OS install windows are shown off
screen. Well, off the one that really has a display connected.

We do not see in the BIOS how to make the system do the right thing
(e.g., only enable one display connector). And we are a bit surprised
that the displays are thought to be active when there is no connected
display.

It seems that the install GUI is the one that gets fooled. We are
still testing to verify that.

Is there a kernel command line option that limits graphics to the main
display? Our thought is that we could use that during the OS install.


--
Roger Oberholtzer

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op donderdag 25 januari 2018 16:55:42 CET schreef Roger Oberholtzer:

> We are testing a new computer and have discovered something
> irritating. It claims there is a second (or more) display even though
> there is only one connected. So the OS install windows are shown off
> screen. Well, off the one that really has a display connected.
>
> We do not see in the BIOS how to make the system do the right thing
> (e.g., only enable one display connector). And we are a bit surprised
> that the displays are thought to be active when there is no connected
> display.
>
> It seems that the install GUI is the one that gets fooled. We are
> still testing to verify that.
>
> Is there a kernel command line option that limits graphics to the main
> display? Our thought is that we could use that during the OS install.

Does the system maybe have two graphic cards/chips?

lspci

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:50 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does the system maybe have two graphic cards/chips?

No. Just one. It is a 6th gen Skylake i7 6700 CPU with 530 HD Graphics

--
Roger Oberholtzer

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:55:42 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are testing a new computer and have discovered something
> irritating. It claims there is a second (or more) display even though
> there is only one connected. So the OS install windows are shown off
> screen. Well, off the one that really has a display connected.
>
> We do not see in the BIOS how to make the system do the right thing
> (e.g., only enable one display connector). And we are a bit surprised
> that the displays are thought to be active when there is no connected
> display.
>
> It seems that the install GUI is the one that gets fooled. We are
> still testing to verify that.
>
> Is there a kernel command line option that limits graphics to the main
> display? Our thought is that we could use that during the OS install.

Is _anything_ attached to any of the computer's display connectors? A projector, a TV set, a connector-convertor, an unused display cable?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

If it's a desktop, is it possible that you have 2 different connections to a single screen? (E.g. DVI plus VGA. Don't laugh -- I have done this myself, by accident.)

Is it possible to temporarily connect a 2nd screen, just for the installation? I suspect the problem may go away once the OS is installed & updated, and any graphics drivers are installed. So you could disconnect the supplementary monitor then.


--
Liam Proven - Technical Writer, SUSE Linux s.r.o.
Corso II, Křižíkova 148/34, 186-00 Praha 8 - Karlín, Czechia
Email: [hidden email] - Office telephone: +420 284 241 084



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is _anything_ attached to any of the computer's display connectors? A projector, a TV set, a connector-convertor, an unused display cable?

Nothing at all. Only one of the three connectors has anything attached.

> Is this a desktop or a laptop?

A desktop computer.

> If it's a desktop, is it possible that you have 2 different connections to a single screen? (E.g. DVI plus VGA. Don't laugh -- I have done this myself, by accident.)

Only one cable connected to one display.

> Is it possible to temporarily connect a 2nd screen, just for the installation? I suspect the problem may go away once the OS is installed & updated, and any graphics drivers are installed. So you could disconnect the supplementary monitor then.

We are going to do that when we rustle up the various display cables
and such for the other connectors.

We are evaluating a new small MB that has 6 NIC chips. These are rare.
So we would like it to work. We did not expect the display to act like
this during installation. It's a first.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

Peter Suetterlin-2
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to temporarily connect a 2nd screen, just for the installation? I suspect the problem may go away once the OS is installed & updated, and any graphics drivers are installed. So you could disconnect the supplementary monitor then.
>
> We are going to do that when we rustle up the various display cables
> and such for the other connectors.

Other option would be text-mode install (just the basics), and do configuration
later (I'd assume display to work better once the main system is running - but
might of course be wrong :P )

> We are evaluating a new small MB that has 6 NIC chips. These are rare.

Oh, sounds nice.  Care to share the name?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

jdd@dodin.org
Le 26/01/2018 à 13:34, Peter Suetterlin a écrit :
> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to temporarily connect a 2nd screen, just for the installation? I suspect the problem may go away once the OS is installed & updated, and any graphics drivers are installed. So you could disconnect the supplementary monitor then.
>>
>> We are going to do that when we rustle up the various display cables
>> and such for the other connectors.


I encountered a case, on a laptop, where the display went to the vga
display, present or not and whatever we did on the keyboard (bios included)

the laptop seemed impossible to install when somebody thought of
connecting an other display and then no more problems.

it's pretty often the case when on use an external display and forget to
disconnect it before switching off, but on the case I speak of it was an
old machine never used with external

jdd


--
http://dodin.org

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple displays during OS install

Roger Oberholtzer-2
In reply to this post by Peter Suetterlin-2
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Peter Suetterlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, sounds nice.  Care to share the name?

https://www.neousys-tech.com/en/support/resources/category/111-datasheet?download=726:datasheet

--
Roger Oberholtzer

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]