Move Education:libtar to a more central repository

Move Education:libtar to a more central repository

Christoph Grüninger
Hi openSuse packagers,

Education:libtar was recently updated. The copy in Office:libtar was not
(yet). Can we move the library to a more central repository and link the
other two?
I am not sure whether libtar is really that commonly used. And maybe the
license might be an issue, it's not GPL or some other common one, cf.
http://repo.or.cz/libtar.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/COPYRIGHT

Bye
Christoph

Re: Move Education:libtar to a more central repository

Jason Craig-3
On 01/06/2016 01:42 PM, Christoph Grüninger wrote:

> Hi openSuse packagers,
>
> Education:libtar was recently updated. The copy in Office:libtar was not
> (yet). Can we move the library to a more central repository and link the
> other two?
> I am not sure whether libtar is really that commonly used. And maybe the
> license might be an issue, it's not GPL or some other common one, cf.
> http://repo.or.cz/libtar.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/COPYRIGHT
>
> Bye
> Christoph

That's the three-clause BSD license FWIW. Shouldn't be a problem for
most applications.

--
Jason Craig

Re: Move Education:libtar to a more central repository

Christoph Grüninger
Hi!
Thanks for thee feedback so far. In the meantime libtar was copied to
Archiving, too - at least it got there an cleared spec file.

What would be a good place to put the package?

What about the Rpmlint warning. Should I care about these first? How to
care?

> libtar.x86_64: W: shlib-policy-nonversioned-dir /usr/share/doc/packages/libtar
> Your shared library package contains non-versioned directories. Those will not
> allow to install multiple versions of the package in parallel.
>
> libtar.x86_64: W: shlib-policy-missing-lib
> Your package starts with 'lib' as part of its name, but does not provide any
> libraries. It must not be called a lib-package then. Give it a more sensible
> name.
>
> libtar.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary libtar
> Each executable in standard binary directories should have a man page.

Bye
Christoph