Mount ISO as user

PerfectReign
Is there any way to mount an iso file as a user - sort of like
mounting a usb drive?

I looked and cannot find any right-click option in Konqueror to mount
an iso file. Is this not possible?

I found this  http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577
but it has to be run as root.

Re: Mount ISO as user

Patrick Shanahan
* Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> [06-06-07 14:05]:
> Is there any way to mount an iso file as a user - sort of like
> mounting a usb drive?
>
> I looked and cannot find any right-click option in Konqueror to mount
> an iso file. Is this not possible?
>
> I found this  http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577
> but it has to be run as root.

google *is* your friend:
  http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+mount+iso

--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Mount ISO as user

HG-2
Hello Kai!

On 6/6/07, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> [06-06-07 14:05]:
> > Is there any way to mount an iso file as a user - sort of like
> > mounting a usb drive?
> >
> > I looked and cannot find any right-click option in Konqueror to mount
> > an iso file. Is this not possible?

I also expected to be able to mount ISO's with right-clicking. Sadly,
it's not that easy in SUSE.

> > I found this  http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577
> > but it has to be run as root.
>
> google *is* your friend:
>   http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+mount+iso

Tha query doesn't tell anything particular about openSUSE. You are
probably wondering how it's done in openSUSE (that's why you write
here, right?). The above query gives you the "hard" way of having to
go to shell and issue the command which probably works in most
distributions:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso

And of course, you have to do that as root. I also really wish that
users could mount ISO's by just right clicking on the file - specially
on openSUSE which tries to be one of the easiest to use distributions.

--
HG.

Re: Mount ISO as user

Patrick Shanahan
* HG <[hidden email]> [06-06-07 15:22]:
> Tha query doesn't tell anything particular about openSUSE.

Are you sure?

> You are probably wondering how it's done in openSUSE (that's why you
> write here, right?). The above query gives you the "hard"

  there is an easier way?  You haven't presented one!

> way of having to go to shell and issue the command which probably
> works in most distributions:
>
> mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso
>
> And of course, you have to do that as root. I also really wish that
> users could mount ISO's by just right clicking on the file - specially
> on openSUSE which tries to be one of the easiest to use distributions.

You can and there are several methods, but all much more complicated
than just " sudo mount ....".

But since *you* understand that this is the "hard" way, please explain
the "easy" way, and the "openSUSE" way.

You are just making NOISE!
--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
OpenSUSE Linux                                   http://en.opensuse.org/
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

Re: Mount ISO as user

Anders Johansson-6
On Wednesday 06 June 2007 20:04, Kai Ponte wrote:
> Is there any way to mount an iso file as a user - sort of like
> mounting a usb drive?
>
> I looked and cannot find any right-click option in Konqueror to mount
> an iso file. Is this not possible?
>
> I found this  http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577
> but it has to be run as root.

The only way I'm aware of is with "fuse", which unfortunately isn't completely
integrated in 10.2

Re: Mount ISO as user

Re: Mount ISO as user

Richard Creighton

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Midnight Comander (mc) does the trick.

I knew about diving into *.bz and *.zip and being able to cd
/#ftp:<wherever>, but I didn't know about that one.    Thank you for
teaching a very old dog a new trick.    MC has been a staple of mine for
many years and now it has one more very good reason to be in my tool box
of  first to install on any new system and most often used tool.

Richard

Re: Mount ISO as user

PerfectReign
On Wed, June 6, 2007 12:19 pm, HG wrote:

> Hello Kai!
>
> On 6/6/07, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> [06-06-07 14:05]:
>> > Is there any way to mount an iso file as a user - sort of like
>> > mounting a usb drive?
>> >
>> > I looked and cannot find any right-click option in Konqueror to
>> mount
>> > an iso file. Is this not possible?
>
> I also expected to be able to mount ISO's with right-clicking. Sadly,
> it's not that easy in SUSE.
>
>> > I found this
>> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577
>> > but it has to be run as root.
>>
>> google *is* your friend:
>>   http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+mount+iso
>
> Tha query doesn't tell anything particular about openSUSE. You are
> probably wondering how it's done in openSUSE (that's why you write
> here, right?). The above query gives you the "hard" way of having to
> go to shell and issue the command which probably works in most
> distributions:
>
> mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso
>
> And of course, you have to do that as root. I also really wish that
> users could mount ISO's by just right clicking on the file - specially
> on openSUSE which tries to be one of the easiest to use distributions.

Yes, thank you patrick for the link - yet I had tried both that and
with the words "suse" and "opensuse" which is how I got the link I
originally posted.

Oh, and Google ISN'T my friend. If he/she/it were, I would have been
informed during the IPO to purchase many shares as they would
quadruple in value. Instead I thought it too risky.

I'm not sure this is an option even in Vista or MacOS. I'd just like
it. I have an ISO of a DVD I made, and would just like to mount it for
the purposes of viewing the DVD. I also have an ISO of files and just
want to mount - get the files then unmount.

TIA!

Re: Mount ISO as user

Patrick Shanahan
* Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> [06-06-07 17:50]:
> Oh, and Google ISN'T my friend. If he/she/it were, I would have been
> informed during the IPO to purchase many shares as they would
> quadruple in value. Instead I thought it too risky.

 :^)

> I'm not sure this is an option even in Vista or MacOS. I'd just like
> it. I have an ISO of a DVD I made, and would just like to mount it for
> the purposes of viewing the DVD. I also have an ISO of files and just
> want to mount - get the files then unmount.

easiest, open 'mc' and access the iso inside mc.  You will be able to
transfer the files you want.

or..    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 <file.iso> /mnt/<existing dir>
        I keep an unassigned directory under /mnt for this type of
        operation.

--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
OpenSUSE Linux                                   http://en.opensuse.org/
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

Re: Mount ISO as user

Scott Jones-6
On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Kai Ponte wrote:

> I'm not sure this is an option even in Vista or MacOS. I'd just like
> it. I have an ISO of a DVD I made, and would just like to mount it for
> the purposes of viewing the DVD. I also have an ISO of files and just
> want to mount - get the files then unmount.

If it's a video DVD, both VLC and MPlayer will read the ISO directly without
any need to mount it.

As for your other iso, try isomaster, available from the packman repository:

"ISO Master is a graphical editor for ISO images with support for ISO9660,
RockRidge, and Joliet file names. It is useful for extracting, deleting, or
adding files and directories to or from an ISO image."

Or as was pointed out above, Midnight Commander will read the contents of an
ISO.  Or maybe use kio_iso, which is a KIO slave that allows you to open an
ISO in Konqueror (iso:/path/to/file.iso in the location bar).

Re: Mount ISO as user

Peter Van Lone
On 6/6/07, Scott Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Kai Ponte wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure this is an option even in Vista or MacOS. I'd just like
> > it. I have an ISO of a DVD I made, and would just like to mount it for
> > the purposes of viewing the DVD. I also have an ISO of files and just
> > want to mount - get the files then unmount.

using gnome, I can just right-click and select "Open with File
Roller". I can then open/view files, and selectively choose to extract
the ones I want outside of the ISO. Is that not sufficient? I love it
... and love that there is no native way to do that in winders ...

I imagine that in KDE the integrated archive utility has similar functionality.

Re: Mount ISO as user

John Perry
Peter Van Lone wrote:
> using gnome, I can just right-click and select "Open with File
> Roller". I can then open/view files, and selectively choose to extract
> the ones I want outside of the ISO. Is that not sufficient? I love it
> ... and love that there is no native way to do that in winders ...
>
> I imagine that in KDE the integrated archive utility has similar
> functionality.

Well, I wasn't able to get in directly under Konqueror, but Krusader
treated my suse10.2 iso's just like directories.

John Perry

Re: Mount ISO as user

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 11:04 -0700, Kai Ponte wrote:

> Is there any way to mount an iso file as a user - sort of like
> mounting a usb drive?
>
> I looked and cannot find any right-click option in Konqueror to mount
> an iso file. Is this not possible?
>
> I found this  http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11577
> but it has to be run as root.

umount -d /mnt/mountiso
mount -o loop $1.iso /mnt/mountiso

  I have this script, Kai, it works rather well for me.

Re: Mount ISO as user

Peter Van Lone
On 6/6/07, Mike McMullin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> umount -d /mnt/mountiso
> mount -o loop $1.iso /mnt/mountiso
>
>   I have this script, Kai, it works rather well for me.

Mike, a couple things here that confuse me:

1)Kai wanted something that could mount an ISO from the GUI ... I
suppose if you create a launcher/icon for this script, that could
work. But, then it still requires root rights, correct? (this was
something else Kai wanted, was not to require root.

2)Your script looks to be using a variable for the .iso filename (I
assume that is what the $ infront of the 1.iso means)? How does that
work ... should a user be prompted for the path/filename of the iso?
Or is it something like, if you put your iso in the same directory as
the script, then it just finds the iso?

Peter

Re: Mount ISO as user

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 21:55 -0500, Peter Van Lone wrote:

> On 6/6/07, Mike McMullin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > umount -d /mnt/mountiso
> > mount -o loop $1.iso /mnt/mountiso
> >
> >   I have this script, Kai, it works rather well for me.
>
> Mike, a couple things here that confuse me:
>
> 1)Kai wanted something that could mount an ISO from the GUI ... I
> suppose if you create a launcher/icon for this script, that could
> work. But, then it still requires root rights, correct? (this was
> something else Kai wanted, was not to require root.

  IIRC Kai does know something of programming.  ;)  Of course, one could
right click on the .iso file and use the open with ... and then invoke
the script, but there ought to be a conflict resolving the name due to
the extension.  I know that I had a reason for forcing ?.iso, but don't
off-hand recall what it was.

> 2)Your script looks to be using a variable for the .iso filename (I
> assume that is what the $ infront of the 1.iso means)? How does that
> work ... should a user be prompted for the path/filename of the iso?
> Or is it something like, if you put your iso in the same directory as
> the script, then it just finds the iso?

  Yeah the %1 takes a parameter passed to the script (the first one
actually) and assumes that it is the name of the iso file to be mounted
less it's extension.  This script is actually located in the /usr/bin
directory and is invokable by any user on the system (+x has been set).
As far as invoking it from the CLI, a path to the file is only required
when the script is invoked from a directory other than the one that
the .iso is located in, yes it will have to find the .iso.

  HTH

  Mike

Re: Mount ISO as user

PerfectReign
On Wed, June 6, 2007 9:07 pm, Mike McMullin wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 21:55 -0500, Peter Van Lone wrote:
>> On 6/6/07, Mike McMullin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > umount -d /mnt/mountiso
>> > mount -o loop $1.iso /mnt/mountiso
>> >
>> >   I have this script, Kai, it works rather well for me.
>>
>> Mike, a couple things here that confuse me:
>>
>> 1)Kai wanted something that could mount an ISO from the GUI ... I
>> suppose if you create a launcher/icon for this script, that could
>> work. But, then it still requires root rights, correct? (this was
>> something else Kai wanted, was not to require root.
>
>   IIRC Kai does know something of programming.  ;)

Nah, I'm a division manager in charge of programmers.

I know nothing of programming any more. All previous knowledge is
being sucked out of my head.

> Of course, one
> could
> right click on the .iso file and use the open with ... and then invoke
> the script, but there ought to be a conflict resolving the name due to
> the extension.  I know that I had a reason for forcing ?.iso, but
> don't
> off-hand recall what it was.

Not bad. Thanks. I'll download it from your original email and run it.
I don't suppose I could have it prompt me for a filename through the
GUI?

>> 2)Your script looks to be using a variable for the .iso filename (I
>> assume that is what the $ infront of the 1.iso means)? How does that
>> work ... should a user be prompted for the path/filename of the iso?
>> Or is it something like, if you put your iso in the same directory
>> as
>> the script, then it just finds the iso?
>
>   Yeah the %1 takes a parameter passed to the script (the first one
> actually) and assumes that it is the name of the iso file to be
> mounted
> less it's extension.  This script is actually located in the /usr/bin
> directory and is invokable by any user on the system (+x has been
> set).
> As far as invoking it from the CLI, a path to the file is only
> required
> when the script is invoked from a directory other than the one that
> the .iso is located in, yes it will have to find the .iso.

No biggie. Just wanted something quick and dirty.

I'll give it a try.

I appreciate all the responses. It is nice to see that there is more
than one way to tackle this item!

Re: Mount ISO as user

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 21:41 -0700, Kai Ponte wrote:

> On Wed, June 6, 2007 9:07 pm, Mike McMullin wrote:

> >> Mike, a couple things here that confuse me:
> >>
> >> 1)Kai wanted something that could mount an ISO from the GUI ... I
> >> suppose if you create a launcher/icon for this script, that could
> >> work. But, then it still requires root rights, correct? (this was
> >> something else Kai wanted, was not to require root.
> >   IIRC Kai does know something of programming.  ;)

> Nah, I'm a division manager in charge of programmers.

> I know nothing of programming any more. All previous knowledge is
> being sucked out of my head.

  Same difference.  ;)

> > Of course, one could right click on the .iso file and use the open
> > with ... and then invoke the script, but there ought to be a conflict
> > resolving the name due to the extension.  I know that I had a reason
> > for forcing ?.iso, but don't off-hand recall what it was.

> Not bad. Thanks. I'll download it from your original email and run it.
> I don't suppose I could have it prompt me for a filename through the
> GUI?

  The script would have to be adjusted to do so, that isn't something
that
I have looked into.  If you do, could you please pass me back the
change?

> >> assume that is what the $ infront of the 1.iso means)? How does that
> >> work ... should a user be prompted for the path/filename of the iso?
> >> Or is it something like, if you put your iso in the same directory
> >> as the script, then it just finds the iso?
> >
> >   Yeah the %1 takes a parameter passed to the script (the first one
> > actually) and assumes that it is the name of the iso file to be
> > mounted
> > less it's extension.  This script is actually located in the /usr/bin
> > directory and is invokable by any user on the system (+x has been
> > set).
> > As far as invoking it from the CLI, a path to the file is only
> > required
> > when the script is invoked from a directory other than the one that
> > the .iso is located in, yes it will have to find the .iso.

> No biggie. Just wanted something quick and dirty.
>
> I'll give it a try.
>
> I appreciate all the responses. It is nice to see that there is more
> than one way to tackle this item!

  BTW, the /mnt/mountiso directory has to be created prior to using the
script, which requires root privileges.  I did that so that anyone on
the system could actually mount an .iso if they wanted to.

Re: Mount ISO as user

HG-2
Hi!

On 6/6/07, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are just making NOISE!

Actually, I think I answered Kai's question (and confirmed that there
is no other way than the mount from cli... and thankfully others
proved me wrong) - I do not quite understand how that is "just making
noise."

I'd say sending him of to Google for the answer himself is making
noise and wasting everybody's time, when you could just have written
the answer just as easily.

Mike, that simple script looks good specially if it can be
incorporated into working directly from Konqueror. Have to try this
weekend. I'll also try the kio_iso for some reason, I didn't have it
installed. Lets see how it works. Thanks!

--
HG.

Re: Mount ISO as user

Richard Creighton

HG wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Mike, that simple script looks good specially if it can be
> incorporated into working directly from Konqueror. Have to try this
> weekend. I'll also try the kio_iso for some reason, I didn't have it
> installed. Lets see how it works. Thanks!

I tried both the kio_iso and the IsoMaster application and both work
very well as a user.   However for a simple copy of a file from an ISO
image to a directory, the simplicity of MC still is hard to beat and it
is part of most installations and certainly is on all of the cd/dvd
media and can be installed.   The IsoMaster reminded me of the Windoze
program called UltraISO (not by M$) which is a very fine product for
that other OS btw and I suspect I will find occasion to use it in the
Linux environment when I want to edit the ISO files and/or reconstruct
the image for reburning an 'oops'.   The original poster seemed to just
want a quick and dirty way to retrieve a file or two from an image as a
USER and for my 2c worth, I still think midnite commander (mc) is the
way...especially given all the other tools built into that  program to
handle editing, moving, ftp, multiple files....everything in one
toolbox.   All in all, I now have all three loaded because each has
unique views that can be of value.
Richard

Re: Mount ISO as user

Mike McMullin
On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 13:05 +0300, HG wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 6/6/07, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You are just making NOISE!
>
> Actually, I think I answered Kai's question (and confirmed that there
> is no other way than the mount from cli... and thankfully others
> proved me wrong) - I do not quite understand how that is "just making
> noise."
>
> I'd say sending him of to Google for the answer himself is making
> noise and wasting everybody's time, when you could just have written
> the answer just as easily.

  There's a great deal of search-able knowledge both on various lists
archives
and magazine articles and user written how-to's.  The downside to Google
is that most of us don't really have the skill to use it to the effect
that we aren't bludgeoned senseless by information that we are not
interested in.

> Mike, that simple script looks good specially if it can be
> incorporated into working directly from Konqueror.

  Let me know how that works.  I've never tried due to the fact that
there are a few things that I want to do cli style.  I would assume that
the file name would be the first parameter sent to the app, but I'm not
sure about that.

>  Have to try this weekend. I'll also try the kio_iso for some reason, I didn't have it
> installed. Lets see how it works. Thanks!

  Hmmm if you have the find utils installed, try locate kio_iso, failing
that pin kio_iso ought to return which kde package you will need to
install.