Motif has been released under LGPL

Matwey V. Kornilov

Motif has been released under LGPL. I think, it is worth to put openmotif
back from NonFree to main repo.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/motif
http://motif.ics.com/motif-234-release-notes

Moreover, it seems that package should also be renamed from openmotif to
motif.

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Mathias Homann-2
Am Freitag, 26. Oktober 2012, 18:51:52 schrieb Matwey V.  Kornilov:
> Motif has been released under LGPL. I think, it is worth to put openmotif
> back from NonFree to main repo.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/motif
> http://motif.ics.com/motif-234-release-notes
>
> Moreover, it seems that package should also be renamed from openmotif to
> motif.

+1

bye,
MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD 763C

()  ascii ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Philipp Thomas-3
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 18:51:52 +0400, "Matwey V.  Kornilov"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Motif has been released under LGPL. I think, it is worth to put openmotif
>back from NonFree to main repo.
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/motif
>http://motif.ics.com/motif-234-release-notes
>
>Moreover, it seems that package should also be renamed from openmotif to
>motif.

The name was chosen by those that maintained motif. Besides, why
hassle with Motif as it's practically dead because of the folks that
didn't understand the signs of the times and opensourced Motif much
too late?

Philipp

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Matwey V. Kornilov

I am personally maintaining app which uses motif and has been created in the
late 80-th. The app is still alive and being developed, and definitely wont
die in the coming decade.

> The name was chosen by those that maintained motif. Besides, why
> hassle with Motif as it's practically dead because of the folks that
> didn't understand the signs of the times and opensourced Motif much
> too late?
>
> Philipp

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Mathias Homann-2
I'm maintaining the packages for xephem, which uses motif and is still
actively maintained, and is in my personal opinion simply the best ephemeris
app ever. I have seen NOTHING on any other platform, including commercial
astronomy packages for several hundreds of dollars, that even could dream of
coming anywhere close to what xephem can do...

and i'd guess that porting xephem to qt/gtk/whatever would basically mean re-
inventing it from scratch.

bye,
MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD 763C

()  ascii ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Philipp Thomas-3
[could you perhaps refrain from top posting? thank you!]

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:38:50 +0200, Mathias Homann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm maintaining the packages for xephem, which uses motif and is still
>actively maintained, and is in my personal opinion simply the best ephemeris
>app ever.

Which can only mean that xephem was written at a time when openmotif wasn't
even on the horizon. Or do I err?

>and i'd guess that porting xephem to qt/gtk/whatever would basically mean re-
>inventing it from scratch.

Given from the few I know about either Motif or the modern frameworks I'd
guess it would indeed come to that.

Philipp

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Philipp Thomas-3
What I forgot to write: if there are actively maintained packages that
still need motif then we should IMO go with the OP regarding name and the
move out of nonfree.

Philipp

Re: Motif has been released under LGPL

Stephan Kulow-3
Am 27.10.2012 01:05, schrieb Philipp Thomas:
> What I forgot to write: if there are actively maintained packages that
> still need motif then we should IMO go with the OP regarding name and the
> move out of nonfree.

We moved about 10 packages to nonfree with openmotif, so I'm glad we put
so much pressure on the open group ;-)

Greetings, Stephan

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:29:15 +0200, Stephan Kulow <[hidden email]> wrote:

>We moved about 10 packages to nonfree with openmotif, so I'm glad we put
>so much pressure on the open group ;-)

Dream on ;-) Though it is a nice dream.

Philipp