Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Guillaume Gardet
Hi,

Sorry for cross post (-arm and -buildservice) but not sure who should fix this problem.

Some ARM v7 workers are broken. They start to boot and then fail. Thus, lots of packages go to building state but return quickly to scheduled state.

armbuild numbers 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are failing workers.
armbuild15 does not seem to be ok but it seems to be a slightly different bug.

Guillaume

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Adrian Schröter
On Thursday 26 November 2015, 11:23:27 wrote Guillaume Gardet:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for cross post (-arm and -buildservice) but not sure who should fix this problem.
>
> Some ARM v7 workers are broken. They start to boot and then fail. Thus, lots of packages go to building state but return quickly to scheduled state.
>
> armbuild numbers 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are failing workers.
> armbuild15 does not seem to be ok but it seems to be a slightly different bug.

armbuild13 (and most likely the others as well) did stubmble over the not
working hardware random generator support in the kernel.

I have disabled for now kernel RNG support in the build script for arm,
but we need to discuss if we want to have this in future (by having
proper kernel and initrd support for it) or if we should disable it in
general for arm.

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Le 26/11/2015 11:23, Guillaume Gardet a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for cross post (-arm and -buildservice) but not sure who should fix this problem.
>
> Some ARM v7 workers are broken. They start to boot and then fail. Thus, lots of packages go to building state but return quickly to scheduled state.
>
> armbuild numbers 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are failing workers.
> armbuild15 does not seem to be ok but it seems to be a slightly different bug.

Seems to be back to a normal state, except for armbuild15 which seems to be very slow.

On Thursday 26 November 2015, 11:52:14 wrote Guillaume Gardet:

> Le 26/11/2015 11:23, Guillaume Gardet a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for cross post (-arm and -buildservice) but not sure who should fix this problem.
> >
> > Some ARM v7 workers are broken. They start to boot and then fail. Thus, lots of packages go to building state but return quickly to scheduled state.
> >
> > armbuild numbers 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are failing workers.
> > armbuild15 does not seem to be ok but it seems to be a slightly different bug.
>
> Seems to be back to a normal state, except for armbuild15 which seems to be very slow.

15 seems to work at relative normal speed for an armv7 system.

Can you tell how you meassure "very slow" ?

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Le 26/11/2015 11:53, Adrian Schröter a écrit :

> On Thursday 26 November 2015, 11:52:14 wrote Guillaume Gardet:
>> Le 26/11/2015 11:23, Guillaume Gardet a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry for cross post (-arm and -buildservice) but not sure who should fix this problem.
>>>
>>> Some ARM v7 workers are broken. They start to boot and then fail. Thus, lots of packages go to building state but return quickly to scheduled state.
>>>
>>> armbuild numbers 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are failing workers.
>>> armbuild15 does not seem to be ok but it seems to be a slightly different bug.
>> Seems to be back to a normal state, except for armbuild15 which seems to be very slow.
> 15 seems to work at relative normal speed for an armv7 system.
>
> Can you tell how you meassure "very slow" ?

No real measure, just saw "slow" worker start (package installation, ...) but it seems to be ok now.

Le 26/11/2015 11:48, Adrian Schröter a écrit :

> On Thursday 26 November 2015, 11:23:27 wrote Guillaume Gardet:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for cross post (-arm and -buildservice) but not sure who should fix this problem.
>>
>> Some ARM v7 workers are broken. They start to boot and then fail. Thus, lots of packages go to building state but return quickly to scheduled state.
>>
>> armbuild numbers 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19 are failing workers.
>> armbuild15 does not seem to be ok but it seems to be a slightly different bug.
> armbuild13 (and most likely the others as well) did stubmble over the not
> working hardware random generator support in the kernel.
>
> I have disabled for now kernel RNG support in the build script for arm,
> but we need to discuss if we want to have this in future (by having
> proper kernel and initrd support for it) or if we should disable it in
> general for arm.

How is it failing?
On which board/kernel?

Guillaume

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Andreas Schwab-2
Adrian Schröter <[hidden email]> writes:

> armbuild13 (and most likely the others as well) did stubmble over the not
> working hardware random generator support in the kernel.

That should already be solved by
<https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/pull/209>.  Does that not work?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Dirk Müller-2
Hi Adrian,

> I have disabled for now kernel RNG support in the build script for arm,
> but we need to discuss if we want to have this in future (by having
> proper kernel and initrd support for it) or if we should disable it in
> general for arm.

Not all ARMv7 workers have support hardware available for a random
number generator. Most do, so disabling it globally is not a good
idea.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but now I had no chance to debug -
isn't this already solved by the autodetection that Andreas submitted?

Greetings,
Dirk

On Thursday 26 November 2015, 22:57:57 wrote Dirk Müller:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> > I have disabled for now kernel RNG support in the build script for arm,
> > but we need to discuss if we want to have this in future (by having
> > proper kernel and initrd support for it) or if we should disable it in
> > general for arm.
>
> Not all ARMv7 workers have support hardware available for a random
> number generator. Most do, so disabling it globally is not a good
> idea.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem was, but now I had no chance to debug -
> isn't this already solved by the autodetection that Andreas submitted?

The problem is that we can't detect from outside if the kernel which is loading
will complain about the extra parameter or not. And complain means here stopping
the build.

The commits from the mentioned pull request are merged and active,
but they only affect the qemu-kvm behaviour, not the kernel behaviour.

All what we we can do is checking on the host if the hardware is able
to provide hardware rng and then just guessing if the guest kernel
will support it IMHO.

Some something like

 dd if=/dev/hwrng of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1 || kvm_rng_device=

this which is disabling rng options when no device is there in the
host. Do you know a better way to check for hwrng which avoids
such a potential hanging read? I do not have any arm 32bit with hwrng
device around, it seems.
--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

On Friday 27 November 2015, 07:58:47 wrote Adrian Schröter:

> On Thursday 26 November 2015, 22:57:57 wrote Dirk Müller:
> > Hi Adrian,
> >
> > > I have disabled for now kernel RNG support in the build script for arm,
> > > but we need to discuss if we want to have this in future (by having
> > > proper kernel and initrd support for it) or if we should disable it in
> > > general for arm.
> >
> > Not all ARMv7 workers have support hardware available for a random
> > number generator. Most do, so disabling it globally is not a good
> > idea.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the problem was, but now I had no chance to debug -
> > isn't this already solved by the autodetection that Andreas submitted?
>
> The problem is that we can't detect from outside if the kernel which is loading
> will complain about the extra parameter or not. And complain means here stopping
> the build.
>
> The commits from the mentioned pull request are merged and active,
> but they only affect the qemu-kvm behaviour, not the kernel behaviour.
>
> All what we we can do is checking on the host if the hardware is able
> to provide hardware rng and then just guessing if the guest kernel
> will support it IMHO.
>
> Some something like
>
>  dd if=/dev/hwrng of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1 || kvm_rng_device=
>
> this which is disabling rng options when no device is there in the
> host. Do you know a better way to check for hwrng which avoids
> such a potential hanging read? I do not have any arm 32bit with hwrng
> device around, it seems.

okay, the second commit tries to do this already ... checking why it breaks ...
(sorry, first mail before coffee)

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

On Friday 27 November 2015, 08:02:19 wrote Adrian Schröter:

> On Friday 27 November 2015, 07:58:47 wrote Adrian Schröter:
> > On Thursday 26 November 2015, 22:57:57 wrote Dirk Müller:
> > > Hi Adrian,

> > > Not all ARMv7 workers have support hardware available for a random
> > > number generator. Most do, so disabling it globally is not a good
> > > idea.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what the problem was, but now I had no chance to debug -
> > > isn't this already solved by the autodetection that Andreas submitted?
> >
> > The problem is that we can't detect from outside if the kernel which is loading
> > will complain about the extra parameter or not. And complain means here stopping
> > the build.
> >
> > The commits from the mentioned pull request are merged and active,
> > but they only affect the qemu-kvm behaviour, not the kernel behaviour.
> >
> > All what we we can do is checking on the host if the hardware is able
> > to provide hardware rng and then just guessing if the guest kernel
> > will support it IMHO.
> >
> > Some something like
> >
> >  dd if=/dev/hwrng of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1 || kvm_rng_device=
> >
> > this which is disabling rng options when no device is there in the
> > host. Do you know a better way to check for hwrng which avoids
> > such a potential hanging read? I do not have any arm 32bit with hwrng
> > device around, it seems.
>
> okay, the second commit tries to do this already ... checking why it breaks ...
> (sorry, first mail before coffee)

[   14s] linux64 /usr/bin/qemu-system-arm -nodefaults -no-reboot -nographic -vga none -enable-kvm -M virt -cpu host -object rng-random,filename=/dev/random,id=rng0 -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -mem-prealloc -mem-path /dev/hugepages -net none -kernel /boot/zImage.guest -initrd /boot/initrd -append root=/dev/disk/by-id/virtio-0 rootfstype=ext4 rootflags=noatime panic=1 quiet no-kvmclock nmi_watchdog=0 rw rd.driver.pre=binfmt_misc elevator=noop console=ttyAMA0 init=/.build/build -m 1020 -drive file=/var/cache/obs/worker/root_1/root,format=raw,if=none,id=disk,serial=0,cache=unsafe -device virtio-blk-device,drive=disk -drive file=/var/cache/obs/worker/root_1.swap,format=raw,if=none,id=swap,serial=1,cache=unsafe -device virtio-blk-device,drive=swap -serial stdio -smp 1
[   14s] qemu-system-arm: -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0: No 'PCI' bus found for device 'virtio-rng-pci'

So, virtio rng device seems not to work with non-hardware rng generator.

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Alexander Graf-4

On 27.11.15 08:07, Adrian Schröter wrote:

> On Friday 27 November 2015, 08:02:19 wrote Adrian Schröter:

>>> The problem is that we can't detect from outside if the kernel which is loading
>>> will complain about the extra parameter or not. And complain means here stopping
>>> the build.
>>>
>>> The commits from the mentioned pull request are merged and active,
>>> but they only affect the qemu-kvm behaviour, not the kernel behaviour.
>>>
>>> All what we we can do is checking on the host if the hardware is able
>>> to provide hardware rng and then just guessing if the guest kernel
>>> will support it IMHO.
>>>
>>> Some something like
>>>
>>>  dd if=/dev/hwrng of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1 || kvm_rng_device=
>>>
>>> this which is disabling rng options when no device is there in the
>>> host. Do you know a better way to check for hwrng which avoids
>>> such a potential hanging read? I do not have any arm 32bit with hwrng
>>> device around, it seems.
>>
>> okay, the second commit tries to do this already ... checking why it breaks ...
>> (sorry, first mail before coffee)
>
> [   14s] linux64 /usr/bin/qemu-system-arm -nodefaults -no-reboot -nographic -vga none -enable-kvm -M virt -cpu host -object rng-random,filename=/dev/random,id=rng0 -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -mem-prealloc -mem-path /dev/hugepages -net none -kernel /boot/zImage.guest -initrd /boot/initrd -append root=/dev/disk/by-id/virtio-0 rootfstype=ext4 rootflags=noatime panic=1 quiet no-kvmclock nmi_watchdog=0 rw rd.driver.pre=binfmt_misc elevator=noop console=ttyAMA0 init=/.build/build -m 1020 -drive file=/var/cache/obs/worker/root_1/root,format=raw,if=none,id=disk,serial=0,cache=unsafe -device virtio-blk-device,drive=disk -drive file=/var/cache/obs/worker/root_1.swap,format=raw,if=none,id=swap,serial=1,cache=unsafe -device virtio-blk-device,drive=swap -serial stdio -smp 1
> [   14s] qemu-system-arm: -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0: No 'PCI' bus found for device 'virtio-rng-pci'
>
> So, virtio rng device seems not to work with non-hardware rng generator.

The error says that there is no bus we can plug virtio-rng-pci into.
Which is true, we don't have a PCI bus by default on ARM virtual
machines ;).

You can either use virtio-rng-device (which then plugs into virtio-mmio)
or spawn a PCI bus using -device gpex-pcihost.

Alex

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Dirk Müller-2
Hi Adrian,

> [   14s] qemu-system-arm: -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0: No 'PCI' bus found for device 'virtio-rng-pci'

I fixed that already a bit over a month ago. see
https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/pull/210/ That needs to be
deployed.

In case you're wondering why all build workers on all architectures
are broken right now: there is a typo in the changes that you deployed
on the server:

from build-vm-kvm line 192:

- kvm_options="$kvm_options -object
rng-random,filename=/dev/hwrng,id=rng0 -device
kvm_rng_device,rng=rng0"
+ kvm_options="$kvm_options -object
rng-random,filename=/dev/hwrng,id=rng0 -device
$kvm_rng_device,rng=rng0"

On the aarch64 workers I have deployed a local hack so that it doesn't
fetch the broken build script anymore.

Greetings,
Dirk

On Saturday 28 November 2015, 18:29:36 wrote Dirk Müller:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> > [   14s] qemu-system-arm: -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0: No 'PCI' bus found for device 'virtio-rng-pci'
>
> I fixed that already a bit over a month ago. see
> https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/pull/210/ That needs to be
> deployed.

That was the version which caused the problems on arm 32bit
with the the kernel/qemu startup

> In case you're wondering why all build workers on all architectures
> are broken right now

huh? at least x86_64 is working fine

> : there is a typo in the changes that you deployed
> on the server:
>
> from build-vm-kvm line 192:
>
> - kvm_options="$kvm_options -object
> rng-random,filename=/dev/hwrng,id=rng0 -device
> kvm_rng_device,rng=rng0"
> + kvm_options="$kvm_options -object
> rng-random,filename=/dev/hwrng,id=rng0 -device
> $kvm_rng_device,rng=rng0"

k, adapted that.

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Andreas Schwab
Adrian Schröter <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Saturday 28 November 2015, 18:29:36 wrote Dirk Müller:
>> In case you're wondering why all build workers on all architectures
>> are broken right now
>
> huh? at least x86_64 is working fine

Probably because most of the x86-64 workers have no hwrng.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5

On Monday 30 November 2015, 09:11:34 wrote Andreas Schwab:
> Adrian Schröter <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > On Saturday 28 November 2015, 18:29:36 wrote Dirk Müller:
> >> In case you're wondering why all build workers on all architectures
> >> are broken right now
> >
> > huh? at least x86_64 is working fine
>
> Probably because most of the x86-64 workers have no hwrng.

that might be very well.

Actually, I wonder if the rng stuff is really worth the effort
when the majority of our systems is not supporting it.
Esp. since it seems to be untestable (if it would be setup
in the initrd only we could test it through kernel builds,
but it requires qemu parameters atm).

since the introduction we always had a breakage somewhere :/

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Dirk Müller-2
Hi Adrian,

> That was the version which caused the problems on arm 32bit
> with the the kernel/qemu startup

Not really :-) the change fixed the problem. the issue was that
somebody ,while editing the build script, forgot to remove the
reference to the -pci device and only added the -device
virtio-rng-block. Which is why we had now two random devices and why
it was failing.

> k, adapted that.

Thanks,
Dirk

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Dirk Müller-2

> Actually, I wonder if the rng stuff is really worth the effort
> when the majority of our systems is not supporting it.

passing through virtio-rng is definitely a good idea especially with
the terrible openssl on SLE12 that requires several kilobytes of
entropy for generating a trivial RSA key. However, I'm not sure if
selecting /dev/hwrng was a good idea, since that one has an
unspecified quality (and might be returning 00"s all day). The normal
setup is that you run rngd that tests the entropy of hwrng before
feeding bad kernel into the kernel entropy pool, and /dev/random is
seeded with those entropy sources that provide the required quality.

With just using /dev/random from the host the amount of code needed
and the level of breakage should be minimized accross architectures.

On Monday 30 November 2015, 09:35:10 wrote Dirk Müller:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> > That was the version which caused the problems on arm 32bit
> > with the the kernel/qemu startup
>
> Not really :-) the change fixed the problem. the issue was that
> somebody ,while editing the build script, forgot to remove the
> reference to the -pci device and only added the -device
> virtio-rng-block. Which is why we had now two random devices and why
> it was failing.

the current git master is the one with caused the armv7 failures, do
you speak about that one?

Or of some local hack versions of me on the server?

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: [opensuse-arm] Most ARM v7 workers are broken

Dirk Müller-2
Hi Adrian,

> the current git master is the one with caused the armv7 failures, do
> you speak about that one?

When we talk about why armv7 fails, then yes, thats because
https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/pull/210 is not merged in git
master. Don't be confused by the "merged" state in github, somebody
clicked on the merge button but afterwards force-pushed master to the
github repo without that change I think. So it is not in, and merging
that change would fix it, and we'd be happy again.

> Or of some local hack versions of me on the server?

The local hack version was causing the other breakage (for aarch64 and
powerpc).

Greetings,
Dirk