More software update crashes

gallafent

Hi,

The software updater system tray icon indicated today with an
orange exclamation mark that there are some updates to
download. So, I said go ahead and update (there were about five
or six to do, I think).

After reaching 17% (from watching gkrellm, one package had been
downloaded and installed), all network traffic, CPU and disc
usage ceased. I waited for several minutes, then killed the
software update process.

I restarted the software update process, but now it hung at the
"retreiving updates" stage.

So, I killed it again, and restarted zmd for good measure.
(rczmd restart failed, so I manually killed the zmd processes
before rczmd restart again, which now worked). Neither zmd nor
zen-updater were using any CPU, disc or network for some time
before I did this.

Then, I restarted zmd, and ran software update again. This time
I got two error dialogs, containing the following crash
information:

======
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
instance of an object
in <0x003d6> Novell.Zenworks.Gui.ZenTrayIcon:CheckUpdatesLoop ()
in (wrapper delegate-invoke)
System.MulticastDelegate:invoke_void ()
======

and another, which was much longer (and probably more useful),
but which I couldn't select since the one quoted above was
application-modal and on top. When I dismissed this one, the
other and the software update window disappeared.

Now, when I restart the updater, I get only the one above, and
it immediately exits. zmd appears to be running OK.

Invoking Software Update from YaST produces a long pause
followed by a "Another process is accessing the package
database. Package management will not work!" then exits.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm about to reboot the system.

--
Bill Gallafent.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: More software update crashes

gallafent

Well, after a reboot there were five updates available, which
downloaded and installed OK. I can provide logs for the earlier
crashes if anyone's interested; otherwise, it must surely be
getting towards the time for another updater update, so I'll
just wait for that.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: More software update crashes

James Knott
William Gallafent wrote:
> Well, after a reboot there were five updates available, which
> downloaded and installed OK. I can provide logs for the earlier
> crashes if anyone's interested; otherwise, it must surely be
> getting towards the time for another updater update, so I'll
> just wait for that.

I have found that when the updater fails and can't continue, just
logging out will often get it going again.

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
William Gallafent wrote:
> Well, after a reboot there were five updates available, which
> downloaded and installed OK. I can provide logs for the earlier
> crashes if anyone's interested; otherwise, it must surely be
> getting towards the time for another updater update, so I'll
> just wait for that.

I have installed 10.1 now on about 8 machines.
It is tricky to get the update mechanism stable and reliable
but in every case I have one the battle and the machines all
update now without any special effort.  Unfortunately I haven't
accurately captured the procedure I use and I have no idea
if I am wasting steps to get to the successful end goal.

I always do the following:
1) Go to YaST2 and click on "Online Update Configuration"
2) Click on "Online Update Setup"
3) Look to see if the Software Updater ICON (Blue, Orange, or Red)
   is present in the bottom right.  If so click on it and go
   through the process of adding the root password to give you
   the user authority/permission to use it.
4) Do not use the orb to download anything yet or you will just
   get errors.
   to make sure a repository was added by #1 above.
6) Click on Online Update and get any patches available.
   Do not make any modifications to the list.  Usually I get new
   replacements for rug,zmd and anything else dealing with the
   updater mechanism that came initially broken.
7) When that completes, I usually reboot to make sure that I
   am using that which was just received.
8) I then go back to YaST2 and repeat the Online Update seeing
   if anything more would like to come my way.  Sometimes I
   reboot and sometimes I don't depending on what I see come
   down the pipe.
9) Repeat as necessary.
10) After that I just use the Orb at the bottom right an all
    seems to go smoothly.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]