Missing "Most" package?

Michael Aquilina
Hi all,

First off, apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but I wasn't
sure where the correct place to ask this question was.

I have been trying to find a way to install the "most"
(http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) pager in OpenSUSE but cannot seem to
find it. Is there a reason for this or was there just never any demand
for it? Would you consider adding it in if not?

--
Michael Aquilina

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Thursday 2017-06-15 11:53, Michael Aquilina wrote:

>First off, apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but I wasn't
>sure where the correct place to ask this question was.
>
>I have been trying to find a way to install the "most"
>(http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) pager in OpenSUSE but cannot seem to
>find it. Is there a reason for this or was there just never any demand
>for it? Would you consider adding it in if not?

There was demand in the past, and then it languished and was removed.
Resurrect from openSUSE:Leap:42.3 if you want.

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Mathias Homann-2
Am Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017, 11:53:43 CEST schrieb Michael Aquilina:

> Hi all,
>
> First off, apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but I wasn't
> sure where the correct place to ask this question was.
>
> I have been trying to find a way to install the "most"
> (http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) pager in OpenSUSE but cannot seem to
> find it. Is there a reason for this or was there just never any demand
> for it? Would you consider adding it in if not?
>
> --
> Michael Aquilina
mathias@kirika:~> LANG="" sudo zypper se -s most
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                 | Type    | Version    | Arch   | Repository
--+----------------------+---------+------------+--------
+-----------------------
i | most                 | package | 5.0.0a-9.3 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository
(OSS)
--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD 763C

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Fabian Niepelt
On 15.06.2017 12:04, Mathias Homann wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017, 11:53:43 CEST schrieb Michael Aquilina:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First off, apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but I wasn't
>> sure where the correct place to ask this question was.
>>
>> I have been trying to find a way to install the "most"
>> (http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) pager in OpenSUSE but cannot seem to
>> find it. Is there a reason for this or was there just never any demand
>> for it? Would you consider adding it in if not?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Aquilina
> mathias@kirika:~> LANG="" sudo zypper se -s most
> Reading installed packages...
>
> S | Name                 | Type    | Version    | Arch   | Repository

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Michael Aquilina
Yes I am using Tumbleweed, didnt realise it was specifically not in
there. I thought I was going crazy when I saw the first reply showing
that most was available!

Is there a particular reason why most is available in Leap and not in
Tumbleweed? Is it just an oversight?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Fabian Niepelt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15.06.2017 12:04, Mathias Homann wrote:
>>
>> Am Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017, 11:53:43 CEST schrieb Michael Aquilina:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> First off, apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but I wasn't
>>> sure where the correct place to ask this question was.
>>>
>>> I have been trying to find a way to install the "most"
>>> (http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) pager in OpenSUSE but cannot seem to
>>> find it. Is there a reason for this or was there just never any demand
>>> for it? Would you consider adding it in if not?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Aquilina
>>
>> mathias@kirika:~> LANG="" sudo zypper se -s most
>> Reading installed packages...
>>
>> S | Name                 | Type    | Version    | Arch   | Repository
>> --+----------------------+---------+------------+--------
>> +-----------------------
>> i | most                 | package | 5.0.0a-9.3 | x86_64 |
>> Haupt-Repository
>> (OSS)
>

> I assume OP is using Tumbleweed which does not have "most" in its
> repositories.

Michael Aquilina

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Thursday 2017-06-15 13:15, Michael Aquilina wrote:

>Yes I am using Tumbleweed, didnt realise it was specifically not in
>there. I thought I was going crazy when I saw the first reply showing
>that most was available!
>
>Is there a particular reason why most is available in Leap and not in
>Tumbleweed? Is it just an oversight?

Like I replied earlier: it languished, and nobody cared to keep it alive
at that time.

13:21 a4:~ > sosc log -D openSUSE:Factory/most

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 10:53 +0100, Michael Aquilina wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First off, apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but I wasn't
> sure where the correct place to ask this question was.
>
> I have been trying to find a way to install the "most"
> (http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) pager in OpenSUSE but cannot seem to
> find it. Is there a reason for this or was there just never any
> demand
> for it? Would you consider adding it in if not?

'most' was removed from Tumbleweed in November 2015:

osc log -D openSUSE:Factory most
> r5 | dimstar_suse | 2015-11-08 10:25:24 | 5.0.0a | rq342503
>
> Unmaintained and now fails to build.

If anybody actually pledges to maintain this again, it can be re-added.

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: Missing "Most" package?

Michael Aquilina
I would offer to do this myself but I am pretty new to the opensuse
ecosystem and am still learning to package with the open build system.
If I get to the point I feel comfortable doing it I will let you know
:)

--
Michael Aquilina