Minimum, Maximum buttons missing

Robert Benjamin
     I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
those back?  Thanks       Bob

Re: Minimum, Maximum buttons missing

Re: Minimum, Maximum buttons missing

Adam Tauno Williams
On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:24 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
> the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
> Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
> and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
> those back?  Thanks       Bob

Install gnome-tweak-tool and you can toggle what buttons you want as
well as numerous other 'non-mainline' features.

As for maximize you can do usually do that by double clicking the title
bar of a window - which is easier than hitting the button.  For apps
like a web-browser F11 full-screen might be more what you want anyway if
you want to really maximize the visualization of the app.

As for minizmize... that is a long story.  The whole concept of minimize
is pretty much deprecated in GNOME3, and doesn't really have a place.
With dyanmic workspaces, et al, there just really isn't any reason to do
it.  And without the task bar there isn't as obvious a way to get hidden
windows back.

You can always access any window management by right clicking on the
windows title bar and using the context menu that appears.

Re: Minimum, Maximum buttons missing

Doug McGarrett
On 03/24/2012 02:32 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:24 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
>> I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
>> the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
>> Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
>> and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
>> those back?  Thanks       Bob
> Install gnome-tweak-tool and you can toggle what buttons you want as
> well as numerous other 'non-mainline' features.
>
> As for maximize you can do usually do that by double clicking the title
> bar of a window - which is easier than hitting the button.  For apps
> like a web-browser F11 full-screen might be more what you want anyway if
> you want to really maximize the visualization of the app.
>
> As for minizmize... that is a long story.  The whole concept of minimize
> is pretty much deprecated in GNOME3, and doesn't really have a place.
> With dyanmic workspaces, et al, there just really isn't any reason to do
> it.  And without the task bar there isn't as obvious a way to get hidden
> windows back.
>
> You can always access any window management by right clicking on the
> windows title bar and using the context menu that appears.

I can't imagine anybody wanting to use such a system! If it were that
or windows, I would surely choose Windows!  Fortunately, there's KDE.

--doug

On 03/24/2012 02:51 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 03/24/2012 02:32 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:24 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
>>> I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
>>> the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
>>> Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
>>> and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
>>> those back?  Thanks       Bob
>> Install gnome-tweak-tool and you can toggle what buttons you want as
>> well as numerous other 'non-mainline' features.
>>
>> As for maximize you can do usually do that by double clicking the title
>> bar of a window - which is easier than hitting the button.  For apps
>> like a web-browser F11 full-screen might be more what you want anyway if
>> you want to really maximize the visualization of the app.
>>
>> As for minizmize... that is a long story.  The whole concept of minimize
>> is pretty much deprecated in GNOME3, and doesn't really have a place.
>> With dyanmic workspaces, et al, there just really isn't any reason to do
>> it.  And without the task bar there isn't as obvious a way to get hidden
>> windows back.
>>
>> You can always access any window management by right clicking on the
>> windows title bar and using the context menu that appears.
>>
> I can't imagine anybody wanting to use such a system! If it were that
> or windows, I would surely choose Windows!  Fortunately, there's KDE.
>
> --doug

     Guess I'm too old fashioned or stuck too long in Windows, but I
like those buttons. Sorry. I see what you mean re: the title bar and
will use it but don't like it, Thanks for the help.         Bob

Re: Minimum, Maximum buttons missing

Re: Minimum, Maximum buttons missing

scott-268
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 02:32:07PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:24 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> > I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
> > the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
> > Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
> > and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
> > those back?  Thanks       Bob

> Install gnome-tweak-tool and you can toggle what buttons you want as
> well as numerous other 'non-mainline' features.

> As for maximize you can do usually do that by double clicking the title
> bar of a window - which is easier than hitting the button.  For apps
> like a web-browser F11 full-screen might be more what you want anyway if
> you want to really maximize the visualization of the app.

> As for minizmize... that is a long story.  The whole concept of minimize
> is pretty much deprecated in GNOME3, and doesn't really have a place.
> With dyanmic workspaces, et al, there just really isn't any reason to do
> it.  And without the task bar there isn't as obvious a way to get hidden
> windows back.

have the gnome developers detached <Alt-Tab> from its decades
old hookup to app switching?

sc

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 14:51 -0400, Doug wrote:

> On 03/24/2012 02:32 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:24 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> >> I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
> >> the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
> >> Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
> >> and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
> >> those back?  Thanks       Bob
> > Install gnome-tweak-tool and you can toggle what buttons you want as
> > well as numerous other 'non-mainline' features
> > As for maximize you can do usually do that by double clicking the title
> > bar of a window - which is easier than hitting the button.  For apps
> > like a web-browser F11 full-screen might be more what you want anyway if
> > you want to really maximize the visualization of the app.
> > As for minizmize... that is a long story.  The whole concept of minimize
> > is pretty much deprecated in GNOME3, and doesn't really have a place.
> > With dyanmic workspaces, et al, there just really isn't any reason to do
> > it.  And without the task bar there isn't as obvious a way to get hidden
> > windows back.
> > You can always access any window management by right clicking on the
> > windows title bar and using the context menu that appears
> I can't imagine anybody wanting to use such a system!
You don't need to imagine;  I use it ~8-9 hours a day every work day.
It's sleek, fast, and awesome.

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 17:09 -0500, sc wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 02:32:07PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:24 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> > > I have lost the Minimum, Maximum buttons on all web pages and in
> > > the openSuse pages as well. I have gnome desktop, and openSuse 12.1.
> > > Only button on any page is the close button at the top right. The Min
> > > and Max buttons that were next to the close button are gone. Can I get
> > > those back?  Thanks       Bob
> > Install gnome-tweak-tool and you can toggle what buttons you want as
> > well as numerous other 'non-mainline' features
> > As for maximize you can do usually do that by double clicking the title
> > bar of a window - which is easier than hitting the button.  For apps
> > like a web-browser F11 full-screen might be more what you want anyway if
> > you want to really maximize the visualization of the app
> > As for minizmize... that is a long story.  The whole concept of minimize
> > is pretty much deprecated in GNOME3, and doesn't really have a place.
> > With dyanmic workspaces, et al, there just really isn't any reason to do
> > it.  And without the task bar there isn't as obvious a way to get hidden
> > windows back
> have the gnome developers detached <Alt-Tab> from its decades
> old hookup to app switching?
No,  Alt-Tab brings up an application strip on which I can rapidly
Alt-Tab to the application I want.  Or a single Alt-Tab works exactly as
before.