Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Nick Zentena
News at 5pm EST and it isn't even April 1st.

Nick

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BEEF34C41-480F-4ABC-9D0F-E5BC53E5C552%7D

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Sunny_bg
On 11/2/06, Robert Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nick Zentena wrote:
> > News at 5pm EST and it isn't even April 1st.
> >
> > Nick
> >

> http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BEEF34C41-480F-4ABC-9D0F-E5BC53E5C552%7D

And on WSJ:
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116249026689311557-helTbrheLKgbaJ5iO5z40ZFCiOs_20061109.html?mod=blogs>

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Osho GG
The news is on Slashdot also.. I really have no idea what's
happenning. But, let's hope that we get cleartype like fonts for LCD
displays in SuSE pretty soon..

Osho

On 11/2/06, Sunny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/2/06, Robert Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Nick Zentena wrote:
> > > News at 5pm EST and it isn't even April 1st.
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >

> > http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BEEF34C41-480F-4ABC-9D0F-E5BC53E5C552%7D
> >

> And on WSJ:
> <http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116249026689311557-helTbrheLKgbaJ5iO5z40ZFCiOs_20061109.html?mod=blogs>

> Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)
>
> Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
> a pile of scrap.

> For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
> Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Brad Bourn
I bet hell still isn't frozen, so what is the catch?

Dreamcast/XBox

Suse/M$useBox

"Keep your friends close, your enemies closer" keeps going through my
head.....

WTF?

B-)

On Thursday 02 November 2006 2:05 pm, Robert Lewis wrote:
> Nick Zentena wrote:
> > News at 5pm EST and it isn't even April 1st.
> >
> > Nick

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BEEF34C41-480F-4ABC-9D0F-E5BC53E5C552%7D

> For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
> Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

PerfectReign
On Thursday 02 November 2006 12:27, Nick Zentena wrote:
> News at 5pm EST and it isn't even April 1st.

That's just bizarre!

"Microsoft Corp. is entering into an unusual partnership with Novell Inc. that
gives a boost to the Linux operating system, a rival to the software giant's
Windows software, according to people familiar with the companies.

Under the pact, which isn't final, Microsoft will offer sales support of Suse
Linux, a version of the operating system sold by Novell. The two companies
have also agreed to develop technologies to make it easier for users to run
both Suse Linux and Microsoft's Windows on their computers. The two companies
are expected to announce details of their plan today at a press conference in
San Francisco."

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116249026689311557-helTbrheLKgbaJ5iO5z40ZFCiOs_20061109.html?mod=blogs

I don't know how the link thingy is going to come across. It might get
chopped.

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

jfweber
into electronic streams flowing thru the cosmos On Thursday 02 November
2006 4:19 pm, Brad Bourn wrote:

> I bet hell still isn't frozen, so what is the catch?
>

> Dreamcast/XBox
>

> Suse/M$useBox
>

> "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer" keeps going through my
> head.....
>

> WTF?
>

> B-)
>
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 2:05 pm, Robert Lewis wrote:
> > Nick Zentena wrote:
> > > News at 5pm EST and it isn't even April 1st.
> > >
> > > Nick
>
> http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BEE
>F34C41-480F-4ABC-9D0F-E5BC53E5C552%7D

<snip>
Embrace , extend, choke the life out of it.. ????

This current flows between us that will not be denied
You draw me in towards you like the moon pulls at the tide
May no shadow ever fall that will make me have to call you someone I used
to love

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

M Harris-2
On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:34, [hidden email] wrote:
> <snip>
> Embrace , extend, choke the life out of it.. ????
     ... uh, no, more like, "the chop"!

     "plucked, stuffed, and roasted"

     This is like the great white shark helping out by giving swimming lessons
to the penguins.

     Well, it sure looks like Novell has shown its spots. Run for your lives
my fine feathered penguin compatriots!  Ubuntu!

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:26, Kai Ponte wrote:
> The two companies
> have also agreed to develop technologies to make it easier for users to run
> both Suse Linux and Microsoft's Windows on their computers.
   ... uh, huh.  Let's see... isn't that just like M$... invent another crappy
technology to allow me to harm myself again should I be stupid enough to
install the technology... maybe they'll call it, VISTINX... uh, VISTux, uh...
no.. uh...  V'Linux...   no... uh  VIX  rats....
     I guess they aren't aware of the various VM technologies available
already... or maybe they just don't know how easy it is to run Linux WITHOUT
M$ installed at all... or maybe they are deluded into (STILL) believing that
people LIKE windoze... DONT THEY GET IT!!! .... the reason we run Linux is
because we HATE windoze.... yeah, right, what I wan to pay for in the future
is an easier way to run M$ windoze *with* my Linux...   <sigh>
     I know... they're pulling my leg to push my buttons...

     :-))))     its worth the laugh

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

SPAM: Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

M Harris-2
On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:01, M Harris wrote:
>      This is like the great white shark helping out by giving swimming
> lessons to the penguins.
     uh, well,

     Penguins already know how to swim, and uh, penguins are shark food.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SPAM: Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Pete Connolly
On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:26, M Harris wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:01, M Harris wrote:
> >      This is like the great white shark helping out by giving swimming
> > lessons to the penguins.
>
>      uh, well,
>
>      Penguins already know how to swim, and uh, penguins are shark food.

I think we need to think more long term - Xen,  AD, eDirectory, virtualisation
and all that.  So far, it's not totally clear, but in my mind it's positive.

In the mind of the Debian types, it's probably already a beheading crime.

Early days, lets wait and see.

Cheers

Pete

On 11/2/06, Pete Connolly wrote:
> In the mind of the Debian types, it's probably already a beheading crime.

And in Mozilla's, IBM(PS2), WordPerfect, .... (a long list) :)

On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:05, Sunny wrote:
> On 11/2/06, Pete Connolly wrote:
> > In the mind of the Debian types, it's probably already a beheading crime.
>
> And in Mozilla's, IBM(PS2), WordPerfect, .... (a long list) :)

That's just being cynical, Sunny.  But I'm with you :)

Cheers

Pete

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Friday 03 November 2006 00:15, M Harris wrote:
> believing that people LIKE windoze... DONT THEY GET IT!!! .... the reason
> we run Linux is because we HATE windoze....

That may be the reason why you run linux, but it's hardly a reason for major
corporations, and this announcement is aimed squarely at major corporations

A CTO would be fired on the spot if he played by emotions

On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:32, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > believing that people LIKE windoze... DONT THEY GET IT!!! .... the reason
> > we run Linux is because we HATE windoze....
>
> That may be the reason why you run linux, but it's hardly a reason for
> major corporations, and this announcement is aimed squarely at major
> corporations
>
> A CTO would be fired on the spot if he played by emotions
     Who are you trying to kid?

     Corporations hate windoze. Ask any of the corporations which have been
skewered by M$, or ask any of the corporations (or non emotional individuals)
involved in M$ anti-trust class action lawsuits (like the one in Minnesota
for example) or ask any of the millions of corporate managers across America
who are hamstrung by the M$ "corporate parasite" that crashes and burns
(literally) millions of hours of person-productive time. Oh, they hate
windoze assuredly. But they say it differently...
   "We find it difficult to concur with the latest financial strategy of M$ to
leverage their aggressive position in the IT market while providing marginal
value-add for our user base".  --- translation... we hate windoze.

     Maybe a few CTOs should be fired...  start with the guy who is attempting
to link Novell with M$....

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

SPAM: Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

John Andersen
On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:15, M Harris wrote:
>     I guess they aren't aware of the various VM technologies available
> already... or maybe they just don't know how easy it is to run Linux
> WITHOUT M$ installed at all... or maybe they are deluded into (STILL)
> believing that people LIKE windoze... DONT THEY GET IT!!! ..

Regardless what YOU like, its a fact of life that people have/want to run
windows and linux in the same corporate environment.

This isn't about you Joe User sitting at your linux box.

Microsoft is offering to assist Novel in getting virtualization working.

Microsoft has a product for this as does Novel, and both of them
are getting their asses kicked by Vmware.

But its a hollow agreement.  Microsoft Vista license ALREADY
FORBIDS VISTA USE IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE.

Novel got sold a pig in a poke.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

SPAM: Re: SPAM: Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

Ken Jennings
On Thursday 02 November 2006 21:10, M Harris wrote:

> On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:32, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > > believing that people LIKE windoze... DONT THEY GET IT!!! .... the
> > > reason we run Linux is because we HATE windoze....
> >
> > That may be the reason why you run linux, but it's hardly a reason for
> > major corporations, and this announcement is aimed squarely at major
> > corporations
> >
> > A CTO would be fired on the spot if he played by emotions
>
>      Who are you trying to kid?
>
>      Corporations hate windoze. Ask any of the corporations which have been
> skewered by M$, or ask any of the corporations (or non emotional
> individuals) involved in M$ anti-trust class action lawsuits (like the one
> in Minnesota for example) or ask any of the millions of corporate managers
> across America who are hamstrung by the M$ "corporate parasite" that
> crashes and burns (literally) millions of hours of person-productive time.
> Oh, they hate windoze assuredly. But they say it differently...
>    "We find it difficult to concur with the latest financial strategy of M$
> to leverage their aggressive position in the IT market while providing
> marginal value-add for our user base".  --- translation... we hate windoze.

I second that. The PC maintenance people at work HATE Windows. (They only have
about 500 PCs to manage at my site, but there are probably 10,000 computers
on the entire corporate network at different sites.)  In spite of the obscene
amounts of money spent on firewalls and virus protection everywhere we've
still been hit at least once a year by some Windows exploit.  I heard some
back room whispering and I understand they've been evaluating SLED and like
it.  They just have to figure out how to get more clueless managers to agree
Windows is the root of the productivity problems.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SPAM: Re: SPAM: Re: Microsoft to sell SuSE?

PerfectReign
On Thursday 02 November 2006 19:02, Ken Jennings wrote:

> > > That may be the reason why you run linux, but it's hardly a reason for
> > > major corporations, and this announcement is aimed squarely at major
> > > corporations
> > >
> > > A CTO would be fired on the spot if he played by emotions
> >
> >      Who are you trying to kid?
> >
> >      Corporations hate windoze. Ask any of the corporations which have
<snip>

> I second that. The PC maintenance people at work HATE Windows. (They only
<snip>

This is interesting to read. I work for one organization now with roughly
96,000 employees and untold numbers of servers/workstations. Previously I
worked for a company with only 18,000 employees.

At my previous employer, I was one of only a few "linux" devotees. Though we
had 12 SLE servers, they were all vendor-installed and supported. I had to
dig and fight to get one SUSE server installed and in production. (In the
end, it was decided it would be easier to run Tomcat/Java/Apache on a Win2K3
workstation, so my server was eventually abandoned in spite of the headaches
of running Windows, due to the overwhelming need to be "windows based" at all
costs.)

At my current place, the environment is much the same. I'm currently leading a
multi-year project to replace a combo mainframe / windows vendor-based system
with an in-house system. The main requirement - all windows servers. No Linux
needed. Even Java isn't allowed.

Now, I'm quietly running a workstation/server with SUSE 10.1 and a LAMP stack.
It currently hosts a web portal for about 10 people. However, I'm being very
quiet about the whole thing, because I know that there, Windows is king.  The
whole corporate environment exudes Windows dominance. It is very weird.

Meanwhile, I happily run my laptops with SUSE 10.1 and no one asks why. :)

I only get a few questions about the Matrix or GPL Chess screen savers.
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

On Thursday 02 November 2006 20:24, John Andersen wrote:
> But its a hollow agreement.  Microsoft Vista license ALREADY
> FORBIDS VISTA USE IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE.
>
> Novel got sold a pig in a poke.
     yup... only its not about whether the two run together... in fact, it
isn't about whether they run at all... if you understand the real issue you
will know that its all about software patents... I almost opened a new
thread, but naw, this is good enough place as any... so here goes... Why This
Deal is Bad... or, Why Software Patents are Evil... take your pic...
     Here is a clip from the latest press regarding this "hollow" deal... see
if you think it is really hollow?!?  :

</clip>
As part of the deal, Microsoft will agree not to assert rights over patents to
any software technology that might be incorporated into Suse Linux. Protected
under this are individuals and noncommercial open-source developers that
create code and contribute to the Suse Linux distribution, as well as
developers who are paid to create code that goes into the distribution.

Brad Smith, senior vice president and general counsel for Microsoft, said it
was difficult to come up with a "covenant" between the companies to marry
open-source code and proprietary code, but "we sorted out the economics so
Novell's customers don't have to."

That said, under the patent cooperation agreement, both companies are paying
each other upfront in exchange for a release of patent liability.
Additionally, Novell also will make running royalty payments to Microsoft
based on a percentage of revenue from open-source products.
</end clip>

You see kiddies, it is all about patent law... nothing more, and nothing less.
So don't get your shorts in a bunch over this... cause most everyone will
eventually see through it eventually. This is just one more reason why M$
must cease and desist as a viable operating system software company... its
evil.

As an aside, if you notice closely from the previous text.... Novell will be
*paying*  M$  because of patent law... and that is the reason I will *NOT* be
purchasing any more NOVELL products. IF ANYONE FROM NOVELL IS LISTENING my
contingent has paid M$ all the money we ever intend to pay to them... through
our own pocket books, or through Novell's pocket books. Common guys, you're
killing us here. In the ancient and wise words of my former employer...
THINK.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:49, M Harris wrote:

> On Thursday 02 November 2006 20:24, John Andersen wrote:
> > But its a hollow agreement.  Microsoft Vista license ALREADY
> > FORBIDS VISTA USE IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE.
> >
> > Novel got sold a pig in a poke.
>
>      yup... only its not about whether the two run together... in fact, it
> isn't about whether they run at all... if you understand the real issue you
> will know that its all about software patents... [...] :
>[...]
> As an aside, if you notice closely from the previous text.... Novell will
> be *paying*  M$  because of patent law... and that is the reason I will
> *NOT* be purchasing any more NOVELL products. IF ANYONE FROM NOVELL IS
> LISTENING my contingent has paid M$ all the money we ever intend to pay to
> them... through our own pocket books, or through Novell's pocket books.
> Common guys, you're killing us here. In the ancient and wise words of my
> former employer... THINK.

Some good points.  I guess it may be time to get of my lazy butt and learn how
to burn ISO images myself.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

123