Memory Stick Mounting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq

       
        Is there any good way to 'bump start' usb memory stick mounting in suse 10.1?
       
        I know sometimes it takes time for it to show up, thats ok, but if your in a
         hurry to grab a file it can be a pain.
       
        Also, is this any better in suse 10.2?
       
        Thanks, Mike
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

Rajko M.
On Friday 02 February 2007 10:40, ka1ifq wrote:
> Is there any good way to 'bump start' usb memory stick mounting in suse
> 10.1?
>
> I know sometimes it takes time for it to show up, thats ok, but if your in
> a hurry to grab a file it can be a pain.
>
> Also, is this any better in suse 10.2?
>
> Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

is 10 seconds from inserting a memory stick to files listed fast enough?
- 10.2 on Atholn XP 2000.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal 
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq
On Friday 02 February 2007 22:47, Rajko M. wrote:

> On Friday 02 February 2007 10:40, ka1ifq wrote:
> > Is there any good way to 'bump start' usb memory stick mounting in suse
> > 10.1?
> > I know sometimes it takes time for it to show up, thats ok, but if your
> > in a hurry to grab a file it can be a pain.
> > Also, is this any better in suse 10.2?
> > Thanks, Mike
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> is 10 seconds from inserting a memory stick to files listed fast enough?
> - 10.2 on Atholn XP 2000.
> --
> Regards, Rajko.
> http://en.opensuse.org/Portal
       
        Well I have a P4 1.5g 512mb ram (max for this machine) with little running
and it usually takes at least a minute or two before it shows up. I do see
some disk access when I insert it.
       
        Mike
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

Rajko M.
On Saturday 03 February 2007 00:14, ka1ifq wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007 22:47, Rajko M. wrote:
> > On Friday 02 February 2007 10:40, ka1ifq wrote:
> > > Is there any good way to 'bump start' usb memory stick mounting in
> > > suse 10.1?
> > > I know sometimes it takes time for it to show up, thats ok, but if
> > > your in a hurry to grab a file it can be a pain.
> > > Also, is this any better in suse 10.2?
...
> > is 10 seconds from inserting a memory stick to files listed fast enough?
> > - 10.2 on Atholn XP 2000.
...
> Well I have a P4 1.5g 512mb ram (max for this machine) with little running
> and it usually takes at least a minute or two before it shows up. I do see
> some disk access when I insert it.
>
> Mike

This is how I would check which USB protocol is used USB 1.1 or USB 2.0,

Insert memory stick.
Select KInfoCenter from Main Menu -- System -- Monitor.
You will see USB Devices in left panel, click on it and the bigger right panel
will show the list of devices.
Find your memory stick, click on it and see what kind of version of USB
interface is listed and max speed for it.
 
--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal 
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq
On Saturday 03 February 2007 07:10, Rajko M. wrote:

> This is how I would check which USB protocol is used USB 1.1 or USB 2.0,
>
> Insert memory stick.
> Select KInfoCenter from Main Menu -- System -- Monitor.
> You will see USB Devices in left panel, click on it and the bigger right
> panel will show the list of devices.
> Find your memory stick, click on it and see what kind of version of USB
> interface is listed and max speed for it.
> --
> Regards, Rajko.
       
        Here is what I got, but this time I left it there while shoveling snow and it
did not get recognized, I did a reboot and it was found then.
       
        The memory stick is usb 2.0 and the interface is usb 1.1.
       
        The speed is not a real problem, how long it takes to be seen is what I am
looking at, and sometimes it is not seen except at a reboot.
       
        I am wondering if much has changed between 10.1 and 10.2 in this area, or is
it just my old computer.

TD Classic 003C

Manufacturer: Memorex
Serial #: 0C50B360C0A0CA70


Class 0
((Defined at Interface level))
Subclass 0
Protocol 0
USB Version 2.00

Vendor ID
0x8ec
(M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers)
Product ID
0x16
Revision
0.00

Speed
12 Mbit/s
Channels
0
Max. Packet Size
64


 
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
ka1ifq wrote:

> On Saturday 03 February 2007 07:10, Rajko M. wrote:
>  
>> This is how I would check which USB protocol is used USB 1.1 or USB 2.0,
>>
>> Insert memory stick.
>> Select KInfoCenter from Main Menu -- System -- Monitor.
>> You will see USB Devices in left panel, click on it and the bigger right
>> panel will show the list of devices.
>> Find your memory stick, click on it and see what kind of version of USB
>> interface is listed and max speed for it.
>> --
>> Regards, Rajko.
>>    
>
> Here is what I got, but this time I left it there while shoveling snow and it
> did not get recognized, I did a reboot and it was found then.
>
> The memory stick is usb 2.0 and the interface is usb 1.1.
>
> The speed is not a real problem, how long it takes to be seen is what I am
> looking at, and sometimes it is not seen except at a reboot.
>
> I am wondering if much has changed between 10.1 and 10.2 in this area, or is
> it just my old computer.
>
> TD Classic 003C
>
> Manufacturer: Memorex
> Serial #: 0C50B360C0A0CA70
>
>
> Class 0
> ((Defined at Interface level))
> Subclass 0
> Protocol 0
> USB Version 2.00
>
> Vendor ID
> 0x8ec
> (M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers)
> Product ID
> 0x16
> Revision
> 0.00
>
> Speed
> 12 Mbit/s
> Channels
> 0
> Max. Packet Size
> 64
>
>
>  
>  
I have had what I thought was intermittent recognition issues for these
devices.
In my case, it turned out to be when I used my USB hub (external) that
it would
fail in contrast to using the USB port tied directly to the computer.  I
finally tried
powering the external USB HUB and it now works every time.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq
On Saturday 03 February 2007 12:26, Robert Lewis wrote:

> ka1ifq wrote:
> >
> > Here is what I got, but this time I left it there while shoveling snow
> > and it did not get recognized, I did a reboot and it was found then.
> > The memory stick is usb 2.0 and the interface is usb 1.1.
> > The speed is not a real problem, how long it takes to be seen is what I
> > am looking at, and sometimes it is not seen except at a reboot.
> > I am wondering if much has changed between 10.1 and 10.2 in this area,
> > or is it just my old computer.
>
> I have had what I thought was intermittent recognition issues for these
> devices.
> In my case, it turned out to be when I used my USB hub (external) that
> it would
> fail in contrast to using the USB port tied directly to the computer.  I
> finally tried
> powering the external USB HUB and it now works every time.
       
        I am plugged directly into the computer port. I have a Dell that I had to put
an external powered hub for the Kb and Mouse to run Linux, works fine on the
pre installed Win.
       
        So I am back to my original question, is there anyway to force a look at the
usb ports to discover new devices?
       
        Thanks, Mike
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

Aveek Bhattacharya-2
ka1ifq wrote:
> So I am back to my original question, is there anyway to force a look at the
> usb ports to discover new devices?
>
> Thanks, Mike

This is a little long, I ask for your patience and forgiveness!

Are you sure the device has not been discovered by the kernel? The HAL
mount may be the one taking time.

Try this:
Run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' (in a shell), then insert your memory
stick. See how long before it shows up in the log (which will be
constantly updated on the screen).

A line like this:

Feb 3 23:44:58 Aveekbh kernel: usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 21

means that some USB device has been detected, and the lines

Feb  3 23:44:59 Aveekbh kernel: SCSI device sda: 312581808 512-byte hdwr
sectors (160042 MB)

Feb  3 23:44:59 Aveekbh kernel:  sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 >

indicate the device has been detected.

Once this is done, the device must be mounted, which is done by the HAL
backend of your desktop environment. (AFAIK, this is basically the same
in 10.1 and 10.2.)

If the second process is taking time, you could mount it manually. In
fact, I suggest you let the device be mounted automatically, then
unmount it, and let it sit for a while (a few min). Then, mount it
manually, and check how long it takes.

This might help you find out where to look for a remedy. If it is the
first, then it is a hotplug issue. (I'm not quite sure what the second
would imply.)

--
Regards,
Aveek Bhattacharya
IIT Bombay

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq
On Saturday 03 February 2007 13:51, Aveek Bhattacharya wrote:

>
> This is a little long, I ask for your patience and forgiveness!
>
> Are you sure the device has not been discovered by the kernel? The HAL
> mount may be the one taking time.
>
> Try this:
> Run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' (in a shell), then insert your memory
> stick. See how long before it shows up in the log (which will be
> constantly updated on the screen).
>
        I did this, I did not get anything logged in 'messages', I wonder if your log
level is set different?
       
        I started with a reboot just in case something was funky. I started the tail
-f, plugged in the mem stick.
       
        While I was reading email I saw the window pop up with the mem stick
contents, but nothing in the log file, closed the 'tail' and reopened it,
nothing listed since jan 19th.

Mike
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

Bruce Marshall
On Saturday 03 February 2007 15:46, ka1ifq wrote:
>         I did this, I did not get anything logged in 'messages', I wonder
> if your log level is set different?
>         
>         I started with a reboot just in case something was funky. I started
> the tail -f, plugged in the mem stick.
>         
>         While I was reading email I saw the window pop up with the mem
> stick contents, but nothing in the log file, closed the 'tail' and reopened
> it, nothing listed since jan 19th.

You say there was nothing logged in your /var/log/messages since the 19th??

Impossible since there should be *many* messages from your re-boot and other
activities.  

Please clarify.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq
On Saturday 03 February 2007 16:54, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Saturday 03 February 2007 15:46, ka1ifq wrote:
> >         I did this, I did not get anything logged in 'messages', I wonder
> > if your log level is set different?
> >         
> >         I started with a reboot just in case something was funky. I
> > started the tail -f, plugged in the mem stick.
> >         
> >         While I was reading email I saw the window pop up with the mem
> > stick contents, but nothing in the log file, closed the 'tail' and
> > reopened it, nothing listed since jan 19th.
>
> You say there was nothing logged in your /var/log/messages since the 19th??
>
> Impossible since there should be *many* messages from your re-boot and
> other activities.
>
> Please clarify.
       
        Well here is the last segment of my log:


Jan 19 10:39:47 Suse101 smbd[7073]: [2007/01/19 10:39:47, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:get _peer_addr(1225)
Jan 19 10:39:47 Suse101 smbd[7073]:   getpeername failed. Error was Transport
endpoint is not connected
Jan 19 10:39:47 Suse101 smbd[7073]: [2007/01/19 10:39:47, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:write_data(557)
Jan 19 10:39:47 Suse101 smbd[7073]:   write_data: write failure in writing to
client 10.128.128.7. Error Connection reset by peer
Jan 19 10:39:47 Suse101 smbd[7073]: [2007/01/19 10:39:47, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(765)
Jan 19 10:39:47 Suse101 smbd[7073]:   Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1.
(Connection reset by peer)
Jan 19 11:07:03 Suse101 su: (to root) ka1ifq on /dev/pts/2
Jan 19 11:07:05 Suse101 su: (to root) ka1ifq on /dev/pts/2
Jan 19 11:11:36 Suse101 checkproc: checkproc: Empty pid
file /var/lock/susehelpindex for /usr/bin/susehelpindex
Jan 19 11:11:38 Suse101 syslog-ng[2221]: SIGHUP received, restarting syslog-ng

        I remember opening the helpindex and having to add things to do a search.
        I was looking for info to grab logs from my router.
        I edited a line to turn on logging on port 514, I went back and commented it
         out, I'll go back and copy the original file back and reboot
(/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.in).
       
        Mike
       
        Does the boot log here or to /var/log/boot.msg ?



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

ka1ifq

> On Saturday 03 February 2007 16:54, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> >
> > You say there was nothing logged in your /var/log/messages since the
> > 19th??
> >
> > Impossible since there should be *many* messages from your re-boot and
> > other activities.
> >
> > Please clarify.
>
> Well here is the last segment of my log:
>

        Ok, I found out why the log was not working, here is what is in the log now:

Feb  3 19:46:45 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 2

 SNIP This continues.

Feb  3 19:47:47 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 126
Feb  3 19:47:48 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 127

 This has been going thru the addresses multiple times for over 30 minutes and
has not been mounted yet. I guess this is the nitty gritty of the problem.
       
        I am going to try another device and see what happens.

        This is a self powered Sony dvd drive and video capture:

Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 110
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new device found, idVendor=054c,
idProduct=01dc
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0,
SerialNumber=0
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: hub 1-2:1.0: USB hub found
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: hub 1-2:1.0: 2 ports detected
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.1: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 111
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.1: new device found, idVendor=054c,
idProduct=01de
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.1: new device strings: Mfr=1,
Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.1: Product: VRD-VC10 [Video Capture]
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.1: Manufacturer: Sony
Feb  3 19:58:38 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 112
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: new device found, idVendor=054c,
idProduct=01dd
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: new device strings: Mfr=51,
Product=68, SerialNumber=56
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: Product: VRD-VC10 [DVD Drive]
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: Manufacturer: Sony
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: SerialNumber: DEF19733280
Feb  3 19:58:41 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: SCSI subsystem initialized
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
devices
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: usb-storage: device found at 112
Feb  3 19:58:42 Suse101 kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle
before scanning
Feb  3 19:58:47 Suse101 kernel:   Vendor: SONY      Model: DVD RW DRU-710A  
Rev: BY03
Feb  3 19:58:47 Suse101 kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM                            
ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Feb  3 19:58:47 Suse101 kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
Feb  3 19:58:47 Suse101 kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer cd/rw
xa/form2 cdda tray
Feb  3 19:58:47 Suse101 kernel: sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
Feb  3 19:58:47 Suse101 kernel: sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5

Got these 2 lines after I put in a disk, and it shows mounted on the screen
with an icon..

Feb  3 20:01:33 Suse101 kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
Feb  3 20:01:33 Suse101 kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

Why can't it be so simple with the memory stick?
Do I need to format it?
It does work once it gets mounted, and also works fine on XP and W2k.

Mike
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Memory Stick Mounting

Rajko M.
On Saturday 03 February 2007 19:04, ka1ifq wrote:

> here is what is in the log now:
>
> Feb  3 19:46:45 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 2
>
>  SNIP This continues.
>
> Feb  3 19:47:47 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 126
> Feb  3 19:47:48 Suse101 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 127
...
> Why can't it be so simple with the memory stick?
> Do I need to format it?
> It does work once it gets mounted, and also works fine on XP and W2k.
>
> Mike

I played a bit with monitoring the
 /media
directory,with
 ll
and connecting and disconnecting USB stick and hard disk.

It was leaving subdirectory after each disconnect, and number of such
directories was growing. As original was already present, each new try
produced the same base name with added -1, next time -2 and so on.

The .hal-mtab was growing too.
Simple delete directories didn't worked:
linux:/media # rmdir WDC
rmdir: WDC: Device or resource busy
linux:/media # mount
...
/dev/sda1 on /media/WDC type vfat \
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=lower)

Than I unmounted manually and deleted entry, deleted also files
  .hal-mtab
  .hal-mtab-lock
run
  rchal restart
that recreated
  .hal-mtab-lock
and than it would remove subdirectories when USB flash storage was
disconnected, until I added external hard disk, connected and disconnected
USB stick, what left some of directories hanging around. I removed all again,
did hald restart and used only external hard disk. It left few directories.

The other command
 tail -f /var/log/message produced a lot of this:
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: ReiserFS: sda3: warning: zam-7001: io error in
reiserfs_find_entry
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: scsi 17:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: ReiserFS: sda3: warning: zam-7001: io error in
reiserfs_find_entry
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: scsi 18:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: ReiserFS: sdb3: warning: zam-7001: io error in
reiserfs_find_entry
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: scsi 18:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Feb  4 03:31:04 linux kernel: ReiserFS: sdb3: warning: zam-7001: io error in
reiserfs_find_entry

As you can see kernel is probing every /dev/sda,b and further c,d,e,f that are
not listed and can't find them.

That may take time. Restarting hal alone doesn't change a thing.
Rebooting clears all entries, but with linux it is not necessary to reboot all
too often, and I didn't tested what happens after suspend and resume.

You can run
  ll /media
and see what you have there.
Note the size of
  .hal-mtab

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal 
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]