MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken

MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken

Boyd Lynn Gerber
Hello,

I just upgrade MPlayer from packman

http://packman.links2linux.org/package/MPlayer/16164

When it starts, I try to choose a wmv file but I am unable to make any
choices.  All that works is the X at the top to close the application.
Who/How do you remport a problem with a package on Packman?  The FAQ is in
german and I am unable to get the english FAQ page to come up?

Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken

Rajko M.
On Tuesday 07 November 2006 21:04, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just upgrade MPlayer from packman
>
> http://packman.links2linux.org/package/MPlayer/16164
>
> When it starts, I try to choose a wmv file but I am unable to make any
> choices.  All that works is the X at the top to close the application.
> Who/How do you remport a problem with a package on Packman?  The FAQ is in
> german and I am unable to get the english FAQ page to come up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
> ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

This is kind of translation:

"What I have to do if I can't install package without problems?

Simple, send a email with bug description on the packman list
        [hidden email]
If you don't know what informations we need about the system than give us at
least SUSE version and download path for package.
As a help you can download
        ftp://ftp.links2linux.de/pub/packman/info4packman
and run. Send us file /tmp/info4packman.log and add RPM version."

HTH
Rajko M.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken (Question answered and posted to the packman list)

Boyd Lynn Gerber
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Rajko M wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 21:04, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > http://packman.links2linux.org/package/MPlayer/16164
> >
> > When it starts, I try to choose a wmv file but I am unable to make any
> > choices.  All that works is the X at the top to close the application.
> > Who/How do you remport a problem with a package on Packman?  The FAQ is in
> > german and I am unable to get the english FAQ page to come up?
>
> This is kind of translation:
>
> "What I have to do if I can't install package without problems?
>
> Simple, send a email with bug description on the packman list
> [hidden email]
> If you don't know what informations we need about the system than give us at
> least SUSE version and download path for package.
> As a help you can download
> ftp://ftp.links2linux.de/pub/packman/info4packman
> and run. Send us file /tmp/info4packman.log and add RPM version."

Thanks, I posted to the email address this is for SUSE Linux 10.1.  I am
unable to choose in the Main window Play file.  Once I am in that window
nothing works but clicking the X at the top to quit.  It appears all other
menuse work.  I did get one message when I now first bring it up.

Error!
New_Face failed.  Maybe the font path is wrong
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
OK.

Every thing worked till this upgrade.  I think posting all the details to
the list will let them fix it.  Thanks for the translation.

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 22:48, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> Error!
> New_Face failed.  Maybe the font path is wrong
> Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
> OK.

Have you ever seen that file installed?
I don't use mplayer so I can't check here.

Rajko M.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken (Question answered and posted to the packman list)

Bryan S. Tyson
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 19:56, Rajko M wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 22:48, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > Error!
> > New_Face failed.  Maybe the font path is wrong
> > Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).

I have seen that message with several versions of mplayer on several different
Linux systems. Usually what I do is find any ttf in my fonts folder, copy it
into the path quoted above, and rename it to subfont.ttf.

Bryan

***************************************
Powered by Kubuntu Linux 6.06
KDE 3.5.2    KMail 1.9.1
This is a Microsoft-free computer

Bryan S. Tyson

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 November 2006 19:56, Rajko M wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 November 2006 22:48, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > > Error!
> > > New_Face failed.  Maybe the font path is wrong
> > > Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
>
> I have seen that message with several versions of mplayer on several different
> Linux systems. Usually what I do is find any ttf in my fonts folder, copy it
> into the path quoted above, and rename it to subfont.ttf.

I did the following.

> cd ~/
> find . -name \*ttf

I do not have any ttf files on my home directory.  Just to be sure I did
this as well.

> cd /home
> find username -name \*ttf

Still none.  This was an uast2->Software Managment->packages->zzzall

Then select update all packages with newer.  It only updated 1 package
MPlayer.  Then I tried to run mplayer.  I have not idea what ttf I should
put there.

I then tried

> touch ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

I still get the error.  I do not know what font I should add.  What should
I choose for it?

Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken (Question answered and posted to the packman list)

lynn-32
On Thursday 09 November 2006 06:01, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
> >
> > I have seen that message with several versions of mplayer on several
> > different Linux systems. Usually what I do is find any ttf in my fonts
> > folder, copy it into the path quoted above, and rename it to subfont.ttf.
>
> I did the following.
>
> > cd ~/
> > find . -name \*ttf
>
> I do not have any ttf files on my home directory.  Just to be sure I did
> this as well.
>
> > cd /home
> > find username -name \*ttf
>
> Still none.  This was an uast2->Software Managment->packages->zzzall
>
> Then select update all packages with newer.  It only updated 1 package
> MPlayer.  Then I tried to run mplayer.  I have not idea what ttf I should
> put there.
>
> I then tried
>
> > touch ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
>
> I still get the error.  I do not know what font I should add.  What should
> I choose for it?
>
> Thanks,

I got the packman update and solved it like this:

Play a movie. Right click>preferences>fonts>browse

My ttf fonts are in /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/truetype

I chose verdana.
HTH

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken (Question answered and posted to the packman list) Solved. Thanks

Boyd Lynn Gerber
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Primm wrote:
> I got the packman update and solved it like this:
>
> Play a movie. Right click>preferences>fonts>browse
>
> My ttf fonts are in /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/truetype
>
> I chose verdana.

Thanks, I copied to the location and now I do not get the error on the
play screen.  Funny how all the other options worked and this would cause
this section to not work.  That fixed it.

I have been using mplayer now for about a year and this is the first time
I have had a problem.  I would never have thought to copy a true type font
from the standard font libraries to a local directory to fix it.  I would
think it would default to using a font from the standard location.  I do
not understand why after a year an upgrade would suddenly require a copy
in the local directory.

Thanks, I now have my mplayer working properly.  Thanks to all for your
suggestions.

Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: MPlayer on packman from 7 hours ago 8:00 PM MST broken (Question answered and posted to the packman list) Solved. Thanks

Sunny_bg
> I have been using mplayer now for about a year and this is the first time
> I have had a problem.  I would never have thought to copy a true type font
> from the standard font libraries to a local directory to fix it.  I would
> think it would default to using a font from the standard location.  I do
> not understand why after a year an upgrade would suddenly require a copy
> in the local directory.

There is no need to copy, a symlink will do. Remember, that mplayer
can run in text mode (using framebuffer device), with no X at all, so
there may be no fonts in "standard" location :)

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]