MOTD content and bit of expansion

Tomas Chvatal
Hello all,

Currently we have in motd only "have a lot of fun..." string which is
nice but sadly lacks some informative value. That is quite needed esp
in container world to keep up at least some PR levels of what is being
used.

We can do many things there but I would aim for minimal approach that
states something along the lines:

"Welcome to openSUSE <release> host, have a lot of fun..."

Alternatively we can gork some information and state what container
technology we are using, how many resources are at hand/etc, but that
might be way too much info :)

Cheers

Tom

Re: MOTD content and bit of expansion

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-10-27 11:46, Tomas Chvatal wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Currently we have in motd only "have a lot of fun..." string which is
> nice but sadly lacks some informative value. That is quite needed esp
> in container world to keep up at least some PR levels of what is being
> used.
>
> We can do many things there but I would aim for minimal approach that
> states something along the lines:
>
> "Welcome to openSUSE <release> host, have a lot of fun..."
You have that info in "issue" and "issue.net". Putting that into "motd"
I think would be incorrect:

motd (5)             - message of the day

       The  abbreviation "motd" stands for "message of the day", and
       this file has been traditionally used for exactly that (it
       requires much less disk space than mail to all users).

Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Tomas Chvatal
Carlos E. R. píše v Pá 27. 10. 2017 v 11:59 +0200:

> On 2017-10-27 11:46, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Currently we have in motd only "have a lot of fun..." string which
> > is
> > nice but sadly lacks some informative value. That is quite needed
> > esp
> > in container world to keep up at least some PR levels of what is
> > being
> > used.
> >
> > We can do many things there but I would aim for minimal approach
> > that
> > states something along the lines:
> >
> > "Welcome to openSUSE <release> host, have a lot of fun..."
>
> You have that info in "issue" and "issue.net". Putting that into
> "motd"
> I think would be incorrect:
>
> motd (5)             - message of the day
>
>        The  abbreviation "motd" stands for "message of the day", and
>        this file has been traditionally used for exactly that (it
>        requires much less disk space than mail to all users).

Now as you can see from the manpages issue is displayed prior the login
prompt that is never shown in remote connections. For that motd is
better used as it is displayed before launching the login shell, thus
writing something after you ssh to machine.

Tom

Re: MOTD content and bit of expansion

Richard Brown
On 27 October 2017 at 11:46, Tomas Chvatal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Currently we have in motd only "have a lot of fun..." string which is
> nice but sadly lacks some informative value. That is quite needed esp
> in container world to keep up at least some PR levels of what is being
> used.
>
> We can do many things there but I would aim for minimal approach that
> states something along the lines:
>
> "Welcome to openSUSE <release> host, have a lot of fun..."
>
> Alternatively we can gork some information and state what container
> technology we are using, how many resources are at hand/etc, but that
> might be way too much info :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

I agree.

Re: Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Friday 2017-10-27 12:13, Tomas Chvatal wrote:

>Now as you can see from the manpages issue is displayed prior the login
>prompt that is never shown in remote connections.

Alternatively configure the "Banner" directive of sshd?

On 2017-10-27 12:13, Tomas Chvatal wrote:

> Carlos E. R. píše v Pá 27. 10. 2017 v 11:59 +0200:
>> On 2017-10-27 11:46, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Currently we have in motd only "have a lot of fun..." string which
>>> is
>>> nice but sadly lacks some informative value. That is quite needed
>>> esp
>>> in container world to keep up at least some PR levels of what is
>>> being
>>> used.
>>>
>>> We can do many things there but I would aim for minimal approach
>>> that
>>> states something along the lines:
>>>
>>> "Welcome to openSUSE <release> host, have a lot of fun..."
>>
>> You have that info in "issue" and "issue.net". Putting that into
>> "motd"
>> I think would be incorrect:
>>
>> motd (5)             - message of the day
>>
>>        The  abbreviation "motd" stands for "message of the day", and
>>        this file has been traditionally used for exactly that (it
>>        requires much less disk space than mail to all users).
>>

> Now as you can see from the manpages issue is displayed prior the login
> prompt that is never shown in remote connections. For that motd is
> better used as it is displayed before launching the login shell, thus
> writing something after you ssh to machine.
Yes, but the purpose of motd is different, the administrator can change
it daily for any reason he likes.

Odp.: Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Tomas Chvatal
Jan Engelhardt píše v Pá 27. 10. 2017 v 12:21 +0200:
> On Friday 2017-10-27 12:13, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> >
> > Now as you can see from the manpages issue is displayed prior the
> > login
> > prompt that is never shown in remote connections.
>
> Alternatively configure the "Banner" directive of sshd?

That disqualifies the windows subsystem for linux where it would not be
shown.

Simply motd is the most comfy way to display it on most desirable
locations.

Tom

Re: Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Thorsten Kukuk
On Fri, Oct 27, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Yes, but the purpose of motd is different, the administrator can change
> it daily for any reason he likes.

No admin is changing the motd inside an container.
And this is also important: we don't need to change the default /etc/motd
in openSUSE Tumbleweed, but the scripts building the openSUSE base container
should be adjusted to create a /etc/motd with all relevant informations.

  Thorsten

Re: Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Re: MOTD content and bit of expansion

Ludwig Nussel
Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> Currently we have in motd only "have a lot of fun..." string which is
> nice but sadly lacks some informative value. That is quite needed esp
> in container world to keep up at least some PR levels of what is being
> used.

Which program exactly displays that information in the scenario you
envision here?

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\

Re: Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Peter Suetterlin
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Yes, but the purpose of motd is different, the administrator can change
> it daily for any reason he likes.

Indeed.  And it is normally the first thing that I do (erase text in there) as
I don't appreciate my new login window being already filled with tons of text...

SCNR

Re: Odp.: [opensuse-factory] MOTD content and bit of expansion

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne pátek 27. října 2017 15:12:56 CEST, Peter Suetterlin napsal(a):
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Yes, but the purpose of motd is different, the administrator can change
> > it daily for any reason he likes.
>
> Indeed.  And it is normally the first thing that I do (erase text in there)
> as I don't appreciate my new login window being already filled with tons of
> text...

Just a small example of MOTD tunning from https://www.metacentrum.cz/en/ :-)

$ ssh [hidden email] # On my computer
[hidden email]'s password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Oct 19 08:40:03 2017 from i016.ibot.cas.cz
  __  __      _          ____            _
 |  \/  | ___| |_  __ _ / ___| ___ _ __ | |_ _ __ _   _ _ __ ___
 | |\/| |/ _ \ __|/ _` | |    / _ \ \_ \| __| \__| | | | \_ ` _ \
 | |  | |  __/ |_| (_| | |___|  __/ | | | |_| |  | |_| | | | | | |
 |_|  |_|\___|\__|\__,_|\____|\___|_| |_|\__|_|   \__,_|_| |_| |_|

 Your Home Directories
 ----------------------
  Size  Avail  S.Quota   Used Directory
  110T    33T      31G    20M /storage/brno2/home/XXX
  932T   605T     none      0 /storage/brno3-cerit/home/XXX
  262T    71T     209G      0 /storage/brno6/home/XXX
  374T   164T       1T      0 /storage/brno7-cerit/home/XXX
   88T    25T     102G   164k /storage/brno8/home/XXX
   44T   8.9T     102G    32k /storage/budejovice1/home/XXX
  352T   209T       1T   128k /storage/plzen1/home/XXX
  100T    50T     524G     2G /storage/praha1/home/XXX

 CPUs
 -----
  Free   Used    Total        Centre
   795   3371     4166        CERIT
  1324   5472     6796        META

 Contact
 --------
  E-mail:       meta (at) cesnet (dot) cz
  Web:          http://www.metacentrum.cz/

Linux tarkil.grid.cesnet.cz 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2+zs1
(2016-10-20) x86_64
$ # And now I can type my first command :-)

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/