MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

David C. Rankin
Say it ain't so....:

Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,
correctable incident occurred on CPU 0.
Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: Bank 1: 9000000000000151

Now where am I going to find another 512M 60ns DIMM SDRAM?

I suspect e-bay will be my friend. What's wrong with quality now days. It's
only been 15 years since it was installed.

They just don't make'm like they used to...

for my trusty;

Processor Information
        Socket Designation: Socket A
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Duron
        Manufacturer: AMD
        ID: 42 06 00 00 FF F9 83 01
        Signature: Family 6, Model 4, Stepping 2
        Flags:
             <snip>
        Version: AMD Athlon(tm)
        Voltage: 3.3 V
        External Clock: 100 MHz
        Max Speed: 500 MHz
        Current Speed: 800 MHz
        Upgrade: ZIF Socket

(Tbird-800)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Per Jessen
David C. Rankin wrote:

> Say it ain't so....:
>
> Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,
> correctable incident occurred on CPU 0.
> Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: Bank 1: 9000000000000151
>
> Now where am I going to find another 512M 60ns DIMM SDRAM?

I probably have one or two somewhere :-)

> I suspect e-bay will be my friend. What's wrong with quality now days.
> It's only been 15 years since it was installed.

Not necessarily about quality, might be cosmic radiation.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.7°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Stakanov Schufter
In data martedì 3 ottobre 2017 23:31:42 CEST, David C. Rankin ha scritto:

> Say it ain't so....:
>
> Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,
> correctable incident occurred on CPU 0.
> Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: Bank 1: 9000000000000151
>
> Now where am I going to find another 512M 60ns DIMM SDRAM?
>
> I suspect e-bay will be my friend. What's wrong with quality now days. It's
> only been 15 years since it was installed.
>
> They just don't make'm like they used to...
>
> for my trusty;
>

> Processor Information
>         Socket Designation: Socket A
>         Type: Central Processor
>         Family: Duron
>         Manufacturer: AMD
>         ID: 42 06 00 00 FF F9 83 01
>         Signature: Family 6, Model 4, Stepping 2
>         Flags:
>              <snip>
>         Version: AMD Athlon(tm)
>         Voltage: 3.3 V
>         External Clock: 100 MHz
>         Max Speed: 500 MHz
>         Current Speed: 800 MHz
>         Upgrade: ZIF Socket
>
> (Tbird-800)

Is it ECC? Or just DRAM?
If you need one, I have a box here with RAM I do not use. About 30 different
types, AFAIK all valuable and "free as free beer"

On 10/04/2017 04:42 AM, stakanov wrote:

> Is it ECC? Or just DRAM?
> If you need one, I have a box here with RAM I do not use. About 30 different
> types, AFAIK all valuable and "free as free beer"

Per, stakanov,

  Thank you both. It's just plain old non-ECC DRAM. I know I have plenty of
256M spares around, but I think those were my only 512M chips. I'll let you
know if I can't find something on e-bay. Last time I bought RAM on e-bay, I
bought 40G (20 2G ecc server ram) for about $1 per Gig. Hopefully, I can find
a pair, if not, I'll take you up on a valuable free as free beer chip :)

On 10/03/2017 04:31 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

> Say it ain't so....:
>
> Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,
> correctable incident occurred on CPU 0.
> Oct  2 22:40:27 nemesis kernel: Bank 1: 9000000000000151
>
> Now where am I going to find another 512M 60ns DIMM SDRAM?
>
> I suspect e-bay will be my friend. What's wrong with quality now days. It's
> only been 15 years since it was installed.
>
> They just don't make'm like they used to...
>
> for my trusty;
>

> Processor Information
>         Socket Designation: Socket A
>         Type: Central Processor
>         Family: Duron
>         Manufacturer: AMD
>         ID: 42 06 00 00 FF F9 83 01
>         Signature: Family 6, Model 4, Stepping 2
>         Flags:
>              <snip>
>         Version: AMD Athlon(tm)
>         Voltage: 3.3 V
>         External Clock: 100 MHz
>         Max Speed: 500 MHz
>         Current Speed: 800 MHz
>         Upgrade: ZIF Socket
>
> (Tbird-800)

A moment of Silence please....

After dutifully replacing the 1G of DRAM, closer examination disclosed a puffy
beer-can capacitor problem. The diagnosis was terminal. (aside from mailing
the board to badcaps.net and dropping $70 on install of a new set of caps)

After being placed in service in early 2002. I'm unsure which SuSE version was
first installed, but it would have been in the 7.0(Air) - 8.2 timeframe. It
was one of my first fully-integrated office servers providing DNS, DHCP with
dyn DNS updates, Postix, Dovecot, Procmail, Spamassissin, Apache with mod_ssl,
eGroupWare, Samba (1.8x days -- yes Win95 clients), with a shiny Sportster and
Hylafax (and its web front-end Avantfax) it handled on average 3 - 5, 10 page
faxes per-day for 15 years without a complaint. Squirrelmail, vsftp for
intra-office scan-to-pdf from the Sharp copier, it dutifully toiled along.
From initial telephone/fax modem technology at the beginning, to seamlessly
handling iPhone calendaring, contacts, etc. in the end.

The box entered semi-retirement a decade or so ago, retaining all its use, but
in a backup capacity for all but its fax-server roll. It passed through the
Silicon Gates still running 11.0 (manually patched and updated for critical
ssl, bash, etc.. problems).

It had a good life, but will now be laid to rest as in that ever growing tower
of cases squirreled away in the bone-pile.

RIP :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Felix Miata-3
David C. Rankin composed on 2017-10-21 10:10 (UTC-0500):

> A moment of Silence please....

> After dutifully replacing the 1G of DRAM, closer examination disclosed a puffy
> beer-can capacitor problem. The diagnosis was terminal. (aside from mailing
> the board to badcaps.net and dropping $70 on install of a new set of caps)

One of my more enjoyable methods of using time inefficiently is DIY replacement when
this happens. With Socket A boards I've been successful about 3/4 of the time. Such
time has been better spent when it happens on less fungible types of electronics.

Which manufacturer made yours? What brand is the bad cap? How many of that type are
on the board? If only one or a few alike and your eyes are still good, it might be
fun to try DIY, something different anyway.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Wol's lists
On 21/10/17 16:10, David C. Rankin wrote:

> A moment of Silence please....
>
> After dutifully replacing the 1G of DRAM, closer examination disclosed a puffy
> beer-can capacitor problem. The diagnosis was terminal. (aside from mailing
> the board to badcaps.net and dropping $70 on install of a new set of caps)
>
> After being placed in service in early 2002. I'm unsure which SuSE version was
> first installed, but it would have been in the 7.0(Air) - 8.2 timeframe. It
> was one of my first fully-integrated office servers providing DNS, DHCP with
> dyn DNS updates, Postix, Dovecot, Procmail, Spamassissin, Apache with mod_ssl,
> eGroupWare, Samba (1.8x days -- yes Win95 clients), with a shiny Sportster and
> Hylafax (and its web front-end Avantfax) it handled on average 3 - 5, 10 page
> faxes per-day for 15 years without a complaint. Squirrelmail, vsftp for
> intra-office scan-to-pdf from the Sharp copier, it dutifully toiled along.
>  From initial telephone/fax modem technology at the beginning, to seamlessly
> handling iPhone calendaring, contacts, etc. in the end.
>
> The box entered semi-retirement a decade or so ago, retaining all its use, but
> in a backup capacity for all but its fax-server roll. It passed through the
> Silicon Gates still running 11.0 (manually patched and updated for critical
> ssl, bash, etc.. problems).
>
> It had a good life, but will now be laid to rest as in that ever growing tower
> of cases squirreled away in the bone-pile.
>
> RIP :p
>

> -- David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

I have just this afternoon retrieved a case from my equivalent (very
small) tower. Kept for this very eventuality, it will have its innards
removed and be reborn as a modern Ryzen system - 3.5GHz Ryzen 3, 16GB
Ram, 2x4TB raid hard drives.

A far cry from the motherboard currently in the case, just a tad newer
than yours, a 1400 Athlon down-clocked to 1050 because the mobo FSB was
only 100MHz, not 133. Maxed out at 756MB of Ram, I haven't a clue what
the disk capacity was, but I suspect it was in my Bigfoot era - with
drives of about 20-50GB.

Cheers,
Wol

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 10/21/2017 12:27 PM, Anthony Youngman wrote:

> On 21/10/17 16:10, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> A moment of Silence please....
>>
>> After dutifully replacing the 1G of DRAM, closer examination disclosed
>> a puffy
>> beer-can capacitor problem. The diagnosis was terminal. (aside from
>> mailing
>> the board to badcaps.net and dropping $70 on install of a new set of
>> caps)
>>
>> After being placed in service in early 2002. I'm unsure which SuSE
>> version was
>> first installed, but it would have been in the 7.0(Air) - 8.2
>> timeframe. It
>> was one of my first fully-integrated office servers providing DNS,
>> DHCP with
>> dyn DNS updates, Postix, Dovecot, Procmail, Spamassissin, Apache with
>> mod_ssl,
>> eGroupWare, Samba (1.8x days -- yes Win95 clients), with a shiny
>> Sportster and
>> Hylafax (and its web front-end Avantfax) it handled on average 3 - 5,
>> 10 page
>> faxes per-day for 15 years without a complaint. Squirrelmail, vsftp for
>> intra-office scan-to-pdf from the Sharp copier, it dutifully toiled
>> along.
>>  From initial telephone/fax modem technology at the beginning, to
>> seamlessly
>> handling iPhone calendaring, contacts, etc. in the end.
>>
>> The box entered semi-retirement a decade or so ago, retaining all its
>> use, but
>> in a backup capacity for all but its fax-server roll. It passed
>> through the
>> Silicon Gates still running 11.0 (manually patched and updated for
>> critical
>> ssl, bash, etc.. problems).
>>
>> It had a good life, but will now be laid to rest as in that ever
>> growing tower
>> of cases squirreled away in the bone-pile.
>>
>> RIP :p
>>

>> -- David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
>
> I have just this afternoon retrieved a case from my equivalent (very
> small) tower. Kept for this very eventuality, it will have its innards
> removed and be reborn as a modern Ryzen system - 3.5GHz Ryzen 3, 16GB
> Ram, 2x4TB raid hard drives.
>
> A far cry from the motherboard currently in the case, just a tad newer
> than yours, a 1400 Athlon down-clocked to 1050 because the mobo FSB was
> only 100MHz, not 133. Maxed out at 756MB of Ram, I haven't a clue what
> the disk capacity was, but I suspect it was in my Bigfoot era - with
> drives of about 20-50GB.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I just recently regained possession of 2 of my first 3 computers, one
being an Atari 1200 and the other a Commodore Amiga. I haven't dusted
them off yet but will in the near future. I'm hoping the floppies for
the Amiga are still viable otherwise I'll need to try and find images
online.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

On 2017-10-21 17:10, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 10/03/2017 04:31 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

> A moment of Silence please....
>
> After dutifully replacing the 1G of DRAM, closer examination disclosed a puffy
> beer-can capacitor problem. The diagnosis was terminal. (aside from mailing
> the board to badcaps.net and dropping $70 on install of a new set of caps)
>
> After being placed in service in early 2002. I'm unsure which SuSE version was
> first installed, but it would have been in the 7.0(Air) - 8.2 timeframe. It
> was one of my first fully-integrated office servers providing DNS, DHCP with
> dyn DNS updates, Postix, Dovecot, Procmail, Spamassissin, Apache with mod_ssl,
> eGroupWare, Samba (1.8x days -- yes Win95 clients), with a shiny Sportster and
> Hylafax (and its web front-end Avantfax) it handled on average 3 - 5, 10 page
> faxes per-day for 15 years without a complaint. Squirrelmail, vsftp for
> intra-office scan-to-pdf from the Sharp copier, it dutifully toiled along.
> From initial telephone/fax modem technology at the beginning, to seamlessly
> handling iPhone calendaring, contacts, etc. in the end.
>
> The box entered semi-retirement a decade or so ago, retaining all its use, but
> in a backup capacity for all but its fax-server roll. It passed through the
> Silicon Gates still running 11.0 (manually patched and updated for critical
> ssl, bash, etc.. problems).
>
> It had a good life, but will now be laid to rest as in that ever growing tower
> of cases squirreled away in the bone-pile.
>
> RIP :p
I'm a bit lost. You did send the board to have the capacitors replaced
to badcaps.net, or didn't you?

On 10/21/2017 11:09 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Which manufacturer made yours? What brand is the bad cap? How many of that type are
> on the board? If only one or a few alike and your eyes are still good, it might be
> fun to try DIY, something different anyway.

Hey Felix,

  This is an Abit-KT7 board. Probably one of my longest running board ever.
(although I have tried to boot the old 386/33 in a while). I've been tempted
to try the cap replacement my self, but I have never experimented with a
"solder sucker" and while I am handy with a soldering iron at the "wire level"
(and I have fixed an few power-connector problem on Nvidia cards), I haven't
dropped to the mirco-level of capacitors.

  Any suggestions on a solder sucker? I always envisioned something like a
baby-nostril sucker that has a heat-resistent tip where you melt the solder as
best you can and suck the melted solder out of each prong solder hole and then
solder a new cap in.

  I guess with this old board -- "I got nothin to lose..."

Let me know if you have an suggestions in the sucker tool department.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

David C. Rankin
On 10/21/2017 04:21 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

<quote>
I'm a bit lost. You did send the board to have the capacitors replaced
to badcaps.net, or didn't you?
</quotes>

No, no... that was just listed as one of the options. It's tempting to do, and
it may be the way to go, but it certainly throwing good money away on very old
tech. It's tempting from the nostalgia standpoint :)

Any Idea why I can't ready your messages in Tbird? Did you change
certificates? I've never seen this before. I can read everyone else's list
e-mail, but yours are total blank? I have to "view source" (ctrl+u) to see the
text of your messages -- strange.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Felix Miata-3
David C. Rankin composed on 2017-10-23 16:51 (UTC-0500):

> On 10/21/2017 11:09 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Which manufacturer made yours? What brand is the bad cap? How many of that type are
>> on the board? If only one or a few alike and your eyes are still good, it might be
>> fun to try DIY, something different anyway.

>   This is an Abit-KT7 board. Probably one of my longest running board ever.

The bad cap plague is the primary reason why Abit no longer exists. :-(

> (although I have tried to boot the old 386/33 in a while). I've been tempted
> to try the cap replacement my self, but I have never experimented with a
> "solder sucker" and while I am handy with a soldering iron at the "wire level"
> (and I have fixed an few power-connector problem on Nvidia cards), I haven't
> dropped to the mirco-level of capacitors.

>   Any suggestions on a solder sucker? I always envisioned something like a
> baby-nostril sucker that has a heat-resistent tip where you melt the solder as
> best you can and suck the melted solder out of each prong solder hole and then
> solder a new cap in.

>   I guess with this old board -- "I got nothin to lose..."

> Let me know if you have an suggestions in the sucker tool department.

I always replace all of same type, as suggested on badcaps.net, best place I
know to look for help with such things. Typically motherboards have one or two
bunches of 3-8 identicals near the CPU socket. If that's where your bad one is,
do all of that type, and if there is a second bunch of identicals near the
socket, and if the board is really worth reviving in the first place, consider
doing those as well, especially if the same brand as the bad one.

Vacuum-type desoldering tools for me are unusable. I always use wire wick
desoldering braid, usually .075" wide, usually along with flux paste, both
readily available from the suppliers of quality cap replacements mouser.com and
digi-key.com where I get all mine.

Adding solder before trying to remove any is often the only way to wick up
enough from the tiny motherboard holes to gain release on both legs.
RoHS-compliant lead-free OEM solder can be a big pain. Before you try, you might
want to peruse the badcaps.net FAQ on the subject.

Good luck!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On 2017-10-24 00:02, David C. Rankin wrote:

> On 10/21/2017 04:21 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
> <quote>
> I'm a bit lost. You did send the board to have the capacitors replaced
> to badcaps.net, or didn't you?
> </quotes>
>

> No, no... that was just listed as one of the options. It's tempting to do, and
> it may be the way to go, but it certainly throwing good money away on very old
> tech. It's tempting from the nostalgia standpoint :)
I see. :-)

> Any Idea why I can't ready your messages in Tbird? Did you change
> certificates? I've never seen this before. I can read everyone else's list
> e-mail, but yours are total blank? I have to "view source" (ctrl+u) to see the
> text of your messages -- strange.

I replied with two emails, from two different accounts, today (did not
see it earlier). Didn't you get them?

No, no idea at all.

You will have to try reading them with another client.

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Dave Plater lst

On 23/10/2017 23:51, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Let me know if you have an suggestions in the sucker tool department.
I once had success with the tube of a large plastic solder sucker
hitched up to a vacuum cleaner. Caps have two legs and multilayer boards
are difficult to desolder. Position the board side ways and solder tip
on one cap pad fingers on cap body and slowly work the cap's legs out of
the holes. When you've finished you need to suck the solder from the
holes, tin the holes first so the solder melts easily. Apply too much
heat and you'll break the through hole. Tug on the capacitor when the
solder isn't melted properly and you'll break the through hole.
I had an oryx solder sucker once that I consider the best I've ever
used, expensive desoldering stations with built in vacuum and
temperature controlled tips also work fine. A heat gun is good for
stripping boards of their components if you don't mind breaking the pcb.

Dave P

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

jdd@dodin.org
Le 24/10/2017 à 09:42, Dave Plater a écrit :

> hitched up to a vacuum cleaner. Caps have two legs and multilayer boards
> are difficult to desolder.

may be better do not desolder but cut the thread under the capacitor and
solder on the remaining parts

jdd

--
http://dodin.org

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

Bruce Griffiths
Another method is to use a special low melting point solder like Chipquik and melt/alloy it with the existing solder lowering the melting point drastically allowing the solder joints to remain molten long enough to easily remove the through hole component. Use a solder sucker to clean up the plated through hole and pad after. Its important to remove the low melting point alloy before soldering in the replacement part.
This usually works well with low probability of damaging pads, tracks and plated through holes.
When thermal relief pads aren't used it can be useful to preheat the board to 100C or so.
The chipquik alloy is relatively expensive but not much is required to facilitate desoldering each joint.

Bruce

On 24/10/2017 10:40, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Another method is to use a special low melting point solder like Chipquik and melt/alloy it with the existing solder lowering the melting point drastically allowing the solder joints to remain molten long enough to easily remove the through hole component. Use a solder sucker to clean up the plated through hole and pad after. Its important to remove the low melting point alloy before soldering in the replacement part.
> This usually works well with low probability of damaging pads, tracks and plated through holes.
> When thermal relief pads aren't used it can be useful to preheat the board to 100C or so.
> The chipquik alloy is relatively expensive but not much is required to facilitate desoldering each joint.
>
> Bruce
That sounds usefull, I must see if I can get some.
Thanks
Dave P

On 24/10/17 01:09, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Any Idea why I can't ready your messages in Tbird? Did you change
>> certificates? I've never seen this before. I can read everyone else's list
>> e-mail, but yours are total blank? I have to "view source" (ctrl+u) to see the
>> text of your messages -- strange.

> I replied with two emails, from two different accounts, today (did not
> see it earlier). Didn't you get them?

This could be a configuration cock-up. There are at least two
"mulitpart" settings, one of which says all the parts are equivalent so
display any of them, one of which says all the parts are different so
display all of them.

It certainly used to be common that a mailer would send an html part,
and a BLANK text part, but say that they were equivalent. So a recipient
who's client was configured to prefer plain text would get a blank message.

That's an obvious explanation - whether it's the correct one, I don't
know ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol

On 10/23/2017 05:51 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

> On 10/21/2017 11:09 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> Which manufacturer made yours? What brand is the bad cap? How many of that type are
>> on the board? If only one or a few alike and your eyes are still good, it might be
>> fun to try DIY, something different anyway.
>
> Hey Felix,
>
>    This is an Abit-KT7 board. Probably one of my longest running board ever.
> (although I have tried to boot the old 386/33 in a while). I've been tempted
> to try the cap replacement my self, but I have never experimented with a
> "solder sucker" and while I am handy with a soldering iron at the "wire level"
> (and I have fixed an few power-connector problem on Nvidia cards), I haven't
> dropped to the mirco-level of capacitors.
>
>    Any suggestions on a solder sucker? I always envisioned something like a
> baby-nostril sucker that has a heat-resistent tip where you melt the solder as
> best you can and suck the melted solder out of each prong solder hole and then
> solder a new cap in.

Braided copper works quite well, it's all I've ever used.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal,

James Knott
On 10/24/2017 03:18 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
>>    Any suggestions on a solder sucker? I always envisioned something
>> like a
>> baby-nostril sucker that has a heat-resistent tip where you melt the
>> solder as
>> best you can and suck the melted solder out of each prong solder hole
>> and then
>> solder a new cap in.
>
> Braided copper works quite well, it's all I've ever used.

I've used both the braid intended for the purpose and also the sucker
type.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.