Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

Jim Sabatke
I needed a headset that doesn't use the standard headphone jack which
has worn to the point where it is intermittent and will soon need pretty
expensive service to work.  So, I bought a Logitech h390 USB headset
hoping that it would work on my openSuse 12.2 laptop (HP G72-B60US).  I
have all updates installed as of today.

I had a little trouble getting it working, and net searches made it look
pretty much hopeless, but I finally found a configuration that has both
earphones and microphone working.  So far so good, until I rebooted and
it wouldn't work.  I experimented and the following behaviors occur:

1. Booting with the h390 plugged in results in the headset not working.
2. Booting with the h390 plugged I can login to a user, but then the
keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The mouse still works.
3. Booting with the h390 unplugged and then logging into a user, and
THEN plugging the h390 in allows the h390 and keyboard to function properly.
4.  After step 3, locking the computer, or going into the sleep mode,
and then returning to the user still allows the h390 and keyboard to
function.
5.  After step 3, switching to another user disables the h390 and the
keyboard.
6.  After step 5, switching back to the original user enables the h390
and keyboard.

In any case where the h390 and keyboard do not function, I have found no
combination of unplugging and plugging in the h390 that will re-enable
the h390 and keyboard until the laptop is rebooted with the h390 unplugged.

Obviously I can work around this, albeit in an ugly manner.  Also, the
other user is not computer savvy enough to be able to understand how to
make it work, and I am basically trying to make her happy by getting
video chat working for her.

I've really hit a wall here.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jim

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

Per Jessen
Jim Sabatke wrote:

> I needed a headset that doesn't use the standard headphone jack which
> has worn to the point where it is intermittent and will soon need
> pretty
> expensive service to work.  So, I bought a Logitech h390 USB headset
> hoping that it would work on my openSuse 12.2 laptop (HP G72-B60US).
> I have all updates installed as of today.

[snip]

> I've really hit a wall here.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

I think you need to look at what happens when the headset is
plugged/unplugged.  Essentially it ought to be the same at boot time,
but there's no need to complicate things with that.  Start by looking
at whether the headset is correctly recognized for instance.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free DNS hosting, made in Switzerland.

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

John Andersen-2
On 11/29/2012 8:21 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:

> 1. Booting with the h390 plugged in results in the headset not working.
> 2. Booting with the h390 plugged I can login to a user, but then the keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The mouse still works.
> 3. Booting with the h390 unplugged and then logging into a user, and THEN plugging the h390 in allows the h390 and keyboard to function
> properly.
> 4.  After step 3, locking the computer, or going into the sleep mode, and then returning to the user still allows the h390 and keyboard to
> function.
> 5.  After step 3, switching to another user disables the h390 and the keyboard.
> 6.  After step 5, switching back to the original user enables the h390 and keyboard.

Do you have more than one USB header on the mother board that you can use?  Like maybe one on the back
and one on the front of the box?

In the past, I've had USB devices conflict but was able to get them to behave by keeping
the conflicting devices on different USB controllers.

It almost sounds like the headset is run out of the user's account, but surely the keyboard
should not be.

On 11/30/2012 03:45 AM, John Andersen wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 8:21 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
>
>> 1. Booting with the h390 plugged in results in the headset not working.
>> 2. Booting with the h390 plugged I can login to a user, but then the keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The mouse still works.
>> 3. Booting with the h390 unplugged and then logging into a user, and THEN plugging the h390 in allows the h390 and keyboard to function
>> properly.
>> 4.  After step 3, locking the computer, or going into the sleep mode, and then returning to the user still allows the h390 and keyboard to
>> function.
>> 5.  After step 3, switching to another user disables the h390 and the keyboard.
>> 6.  After step 5, switching back to the original user enables the h390 and keyboard.
> Do you have more than one USB header on the mother board that you can use?  Like maybe one on the back
> and one on the front of the box?
>
> In the past, I've had USB devices conflict but was able to get them to behave by keeping
> the conflicting devices on different USB controllers.
>
> It almost sounds like the headset is run out of the user's account, but surely the keyboard
> should not be.

I'm not sure I know enough about USB to answer that, but I've certainly
been trying to learn for the past 12+ hours.  Here is the output for
lsusb if that helps at all.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think the
build-in laptop keyboard would be a USB device:

ipley:/home/jim/software/usb-headset-button-0.9.2 # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b1aa Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Webcam-101
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0a0c Logitech, Inc. Clear Chat Comfort USB
Headset
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse

Obviously the offending devices is Bus 002 Device 004

On 11/30/2012 1:51 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 03:45 AM, John Andersen wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 8:21 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Booting with the h390 plugged in results in the headset not working.
>>> 2. Booting with the h390 plugged I can login to a user, but then the keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The mouse still works.
>>> 3. Booting with the h390 unplugged and then logging into a user, and THEN plugging the h390 in allows the h390 and keyboard to function
>>> properly.
>>> 4.  After step 3, locking the computer, or going into the sleep mode, and then returning to the user still allows the h390 and keyboard to
>>> function.
>>> 5.  After step 3, switching to another user disables the h390 and the keyboard.
>>> 6.  After step 5, switching back to the original user enables the h390 and keyboard.
>> Do you have more than one USB header on the mother board that you can use?  Like maybe one on the back
>> and one on the front of the box?
>>
>> In the past, I've had USB devices conflict but was able to get them to behave by keeping
>> the conflicting devices on different USB controllers.
>>
>> It almost sounds like the headset is run out of the user's account, but surely the keyboard
>> should not be.
>>

> I'm not sure I know enough about USB to answer that, but I've certainly been trying to learn for the past 12+ hours.  Here is the output for
> lsusb if that helps at all.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think the build-in laptop keyboard would be a USB device:
>
> ipley:/home/jim/software/usb-headset-button-0.9.2 # lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b1aa Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Webcam-101
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0a0c Logitech, Inc. Clear Chat Comfort USB Headset
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
>
> Obviously the offending devices is Bus 002 Device 004
>
> Jim

Try swapping the ports that the webcam and the headset are plugged into.
Where is the keyboard plugged in?

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

Philipp Thomas-3
On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 03:51:37 -0600, Jim Sabatke <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 1. Booting with the h390 plugged in results in the headset not working.
> 2. Booting with the h390 plugged I can login to a user, but then the keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The mouse still works.
> 3. Booting with the h390 unplugged and then logging into a user, and THEN plugging the h390 in allows the h390 and keyboard to function
>     properly.
> 4.  After step 3, locking the computer, or going into the sleep mode, and then returning to the user still allows the h390 and keyboard to
>     function.
> 5.  After step 3, switching to another user disables the h390 and the keyboard.
> 6.  After step 5, switching back to the original user enables the h390 and keyboard.

I'd recommend opening a bug report in https://bugzilla.novell.com.
That way it will reach our USB guru and you might get helpful advice.

Philipp

On 11/30/2012 03:59 AM, John Andersen wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 1:51 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:

>>> Do you have more than one USB header on the mother board that you can use?  Like maybe one on the back
>>> and one on the front of the box?
>>>
>>> In the past, I've had USB devices conflict but was able to get them to behave by keeping
>>> the conflicting devices on different USB controllers.
>>>
>>> It almost sounds like the headset is run out of the user's account, but surely the keyboard
>>> should not be.
>>>

>> I'm not sure I know enough about USB to answer that, but I've certainly been trying to learn for the past 12+ hours.  Here is the output for
>> lsusb if that helps at all.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think the build-in laptop keyboard would be a USB device:
>>
>> ipley:/home/jim/software/usb-headset-button-0.9.2 # lsusb
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
>> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b1aa Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Webcam-101
>> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0a0c Logitech, Inc. Clear Chat Comfort USB Headset
>> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
>>
>> Obviously the offending devices is Bus 002 Device 004
>>
>> Jim
>
> Try swapping the ports that the webcam and the headset are plugged into.
> Where is the keyboard plugged in?

I only have 3 USB ports available on the laptop.  If I can switch the
ports for the built-in camera and keyboard, I am not aware of how to do
that.  I have tried the mouse and the headset in each of the available
ports and it makes no difference.

I am now totally exhausted and will look into reassigning ports for
built-in peripherals after I get some sleep.  I know there is nothing in
bios for that.

Thanks,

On 11/30/2012 04:03 AM, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 03:51:37 -0600, Jim Sabatke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> 1. Booting with the h390 plugged in results in the headset not working.
>> 2. Booting with the h390 plugged I can login to a user, but then the keyboard is totally unresponsive.  The mouse still works.
>> 3. Booting with the h390 unplugged and then logging into a user, and THEN plugging the h390 in allows the h390 and keyboard to function
>>      properly.
>> 4.  After step 3, locking the computer, or going into the sleep mode, and then returning to the user still allows the h390 and keyboard to
>>      function.
>> 5.  After step 3, switching to another user disables the h390 and the keyboard.
>> 6.  After step 5, switching back to the original user enables the h390 and keyboard.
> I'd recommend opening a bug report in https://bugzilla.novell.com.
> That way it will reach our USB guru and you might get helpful advice.
>
> Philipp

I will certainly do that if I can't work this out with the port
switching advice.

On 11/30/2012 2:11 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> I only have 3 USB ports available on the laptop.

I see, I wasn't aware it was a laptop.
So it appears all the devices you plug in are going to be on Bus 002.
Sounds like your best bet is as Philipp says, with a bug report.

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

Anton Aylward-2
Jim Sabatke wrote:

> I needed a headset that doesn't use the standard headphone jack which
> has worn to the point where it is intermittent and will soon need
> pretty
> expensive service to work.  So, I bought a Logitech h390 USB headset
> hoping that it would work on my openSuse 12.2 laptop (HP G72-B60US).
> I have all updates installed as of today.

[snip]

> I've really hit a wall here.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

I think you need to look at what happens when the headset is
plugged/unplugged.

I agree, but I'd do it differently.
Look at your log files as you plug and unplug the headset.
There should be activity something like this which is what happens when
I plug in the usb mouse)

Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.732036] usb 2-6: new low-speed
USB device number 26 using ohci_hcd
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.922310] usb 2-6: New USB device
found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c01d
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.922317] usb 2-6: New USB device
strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.922320] usb 2-6: Product:
USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.922323] usb 2-6: Manufacturer:
Logitech
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.934016] input: Logitech USB-PS/2
Optical Mouse as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-6/2-6:1.0/input/input12
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox kernel: [ 1431.934438] hid-generic
0003:046D:C01D.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech
USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:02.0-6/input0
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 26:
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-6"
Nov 30 08:10:35 mainbox mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 26 was not an MTP device
Nov 30 08:10:37 mainbox kernel: [ 1434.597433] usb 2-6: USB disconnect,
device number 26

What you're looking for is the bit like

idVendor=046d, idProduct=c01d

Now there may be some differneces in logging between 10.x, 11.x and 12.x
Just soak that up :-)

Somewhere, I forget but perhaps someone else remembers, there's a table
that has the vendor/product entries that lets the system know what to do
with such a device.  If your headset isn't in that table then it needs
to be.  :-)  Obviously.

I've never had to fix this up, but I recall reading a thread about it
pertaining to usb cameras.

maybe that 'clue' leads to something ...

--
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions; it only guarantees
equality of opportunity.

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

James Wright-5
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Anton Aylward
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim Sabatke wrote:
>
> > I needed a headset that doesn't use the standard headphone jack which
> > has worn to the point where it is intermittent and will soon need
> > pretty
> > expensive service to work.  So, I bought a Logitech h390 USB headset
> > hoping that it would work on my openSuse 12.2 laptop (HP G72-B60US).
> > I have all updates installed as of today.
> >
> [snip]

Hello,

I have the same USB headset and got it working by installing
pavucontrol.  This solution assumes that you are using PulseAudio,

 # zypper in pavucontrol

Then run pavucontrol and you should be able to find/configure your
headset there.  If not, run through the yast sound module and go
through the configuration wizard for the headset once.  Then
pavucontrol again to enable.  A bit of an annoyance to have to add
another program to handle sound control, but it does work.

- James

On 11/30/2012 04:15 AM, John Andersen wrote:
> On 11/30/2012 2:11 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
>> I only have 3 USB ports available on the laptop.
>
> I see, I wasn't aware it was a laptop.
> So it appears all the devices you plug in are going to be on Bus 002.
> Sounds like your best bet is as Philipp says, with a bug report.

Bug report filed.  Took me a while to go through the previously filed
ones to make sure this was new, which it appears to be.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

Lars Müller-2
On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 12:46:41AM -0600, Jim Sabatke wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 04:15 AM, John Andersen wrote:
> >On 11/30/2012 2:11 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> >>I only have 3 USB ports available on the laptop.
> >
> >I see, I wasn't aware it was a laptop.
> >So it appears all the devices you plug in are going to be on Bus 002.
> >Sounds like your best bet is as Philipp says, with a bug report.
> >
> Bug report filed.  Took me a while to go through the previously
> filed ones to make sure this was new, which it appears to be.
Please also report the bug ID you filed and add a link to the archive,
http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-11/msg00799.html of this thread
to the bug.  By this you make the life for the one working on the issue
a lot easier.

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team + SUSE Labs

Re: Logitech h390 USB headset troubles

Philipp Thomas-3
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 00:46:41 -0600, Jim Sabatke <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Bug report filed.

In such cases please always post the bug number so that others can see
the bug and it's possible resolution later on, even when they search
the mailing list archive.

Philipp