Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

ianseeks
HI

I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a redundant
configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to edit config
files to action a change of login screen.

regards

Ian

Re: Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

lynn-32
On 09/09/12 09:33, ianseeks wrote:

> HI
>
> I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
> Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a redundant
> configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to edit config
> files to action a change of login screen.
>
> regards
>
> Ian

Hi Ian
Not even. I've tried editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

Anything you change there is ignored. The old 1990's login screen has
returned with that simply awful blue stripe background.
Our workers are up in arms and I've today to get it back to something
that looks as if it was produced in 2012. lightdm looks like a good
workaround. . .
Thanks,
L x

On Sunday 09 Sep 2012 10:07:15 lynn wrote:

> On 09/09/12 09:33, ianseeks wrote:
> > HI
> >
> > I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
> > Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a
> > redundant configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to
> > edit config files to action a change of login screen.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Ian
>
> Hi Ian
> Not even. I've tried editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>
> Anything you change there is ignored. The old 1990's login screen has
> returned with that simply awful blue stripe background.
> Our workers are up in arms and I've today to get it back to something
> that looks as if it was produced in 2012. lightdm looks like a good
> workaround. . .
> Thanks,
> L x
Hi Lynn

I have managed to change it in the past but not tried for quite a few releases
now.  I did mention the problem in these lists years ago and was told it would
be fixed in 10.? but never was.
Did your "root" user also appear in the list of users on the login screen
after trying to change the theme?

On 09/09/12 10:14, ianseeks wrote:
> On Sunday 09 Sep 2012 10:07:15 lynn wrote:
>> On 09/09/12 09:33, ianseeks wrote:

> Did your "root" user also appear in the list of users on the login screen
> after trying to change the theme?
>
> regards
>
> Ian

Yes.
Thanks,
L x

Re: Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

Philipp Thomas-3
On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 08:33:55 +0100, ianseeks <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
>Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a redundant
>configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to edit config
>files to action a change of login screen.

Functioning crystal balls are extremely rare, so please tell us which
graphical desktop are you talking about (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Windowmaker
etc.)? And in that vein, using which tool to set the logion screen?

Philipp

Re: Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

Marco Calistri
Il 09/09/2012 18:23, Philipp Thomas ha scritto:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 08:33:55 +0100, ianseeks <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
>> Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a redundant
>> configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to edit config
>> files to action a change of login screen.
>
> Functioning crystal balls are extremely rare, so please tell us which
> graphical desktop are you talking about (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Windowmaker
> etc.)? And in that vein, using which tool to set the logion screen?
>
> Philipp

Phillip,

About functioning crystal balls (IMHO which resemble Window 7 boot
screen) here on my 12.2 64 bit are working perfectly both on GNOME and
Cinnamon (not yet tested on KDE so far).

I have not made any customization, just rebooting after a zypper dup
from openSUSE 12.1.

Marco Calistri (amdturion)
opensuse 12.2 (Mantis) 64 bit - Kernel 3.4.6-2.10-desktop Gnome 3.4.2
Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4 - Intel® Sandybridge Mobile

On Sunday 09 Sep 2012 23:23:42 Philipp Thomas wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 08:33:55 +0100, ianseeks <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> >I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
> >Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a
> >redundant configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to
> >edit config files to action a change of login screen.
>
> Functioning crystal balls are extremely rare, so please tell us which
> graphical desktop are you talking about (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Windowmaker
> etc.)? And in that vein, using which tool to set the logion screen?
>
> Philipp

KDE 4.9.1 - using, depending which user your logon as, "System Settings" or
"Configure Desktop" which are the same program.

Ian

Re: Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

Christofer C. Bell
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM, lynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/09/12 09:33, ianseeks wrote:
>>
>> HI
>>
>> I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
>> Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a
>> redundant
>> configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to edit config
>> files to action a change of login screen.
>>

> Hi Ian
> Not even. I've tried editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>
> Anything you change there is ignored. The old 1990's login screen has
> returned with that simply awful blue stripe background.
> Our workers are up in arms and I've today to get it back to something that
> looks as if it was produced in 2012. lightdm looks like a good workaround. .

I only saw the issue when doing a DVD upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2.  The
issue did not happen again with a clean install of 12.2.  Perhaps this
helps point to where the problem is?

--
Chris

On Tuesday 11 Sep 2012 22:28:29 Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM, lynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 09/09/12 09:33, ianseeks wrote:
> >> HI
> >>
> >> I've notice if you change the login theme via "System Settings"/System
> >> Administration/Login Screen, it is never applied.  It seems like a
> >> redundant
> >> configuration item.  In the past and it seems now, you have to edit
> >> config
> >> files to action a change of login screen.
> >
> > Hi Ian
> > Not even. I've tried editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> >
> > Anything you change there is ignored. The old 1990's login screen has
> > returned with that simply awful blue stripe background.
> > Our workers are up in arms and I've today to get it back to something that
> > looks as if it was produced in 2012. lightdm looks like a good workaround.
> > .
> I only saw the issue when doing a DVD upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2.  The
> issue did not happen again with a clean install of 12.2.  Perhaps this
> helps point to where the problem is?

I always do clean installs so that won't be the issue.   Its a known
problem/feature.  I guess Suse doesn't want you to loose their branding by
changing to another login screen.

Re: Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

Lars Müller-2
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 08:34:57AM +0100, ianseeks wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 Sep 2012 22:28:29 Christofer C. Bell wrote:

I believe this is a different level than the one you intend to modify.

> > > Not even. I've tried editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> > >
> > > Anything you change there is ignored. The old 1990's login screen has
> > > returned with that simply awful blue stripe background.
> > > Our workers are up in arms and I've today to get it back to something that
> > > looks as if it was produced in 2012. lightdm looks like a good workaround.
> > > .
> > I only saw the issue when doing a DVD upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2.  The
> > issue did not happen again with a clean install of 12.2.  Perhaps this
> > helps point to where the problem is?
>
> I always do clean installs so that won't be the issue.   Its a known
> problem/feature.  I guess Suse doesn't want you to loose their branding by
> changing to another login screen.
In /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME has to be set
to openSUSE

I saw the same default KDE theme with a system upgraded from openSUSE
12.1 and DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME was still at "SUSE".

Please be this nice and file a defect report by following this link
http://en.openSUSE.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

If you filed a report at the end please be this nice to report it back
to the list as an easy clickable URL.  In the report add a pointer to
this thread in the list archive
http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-09/msg00236.html

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team + SUSE Labs

Re: Login Screen theme change still doesn't work in 12.2

Florian Gleixner

Had the same problem. What i did:

edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and set
DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME="openSUSE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm4"

tried with a logout -> no change

set the Theme in System Settings -> worked.

I tried with another machine, and it seems to be the only way to get it
working - it needed the logout and X-restart. Dont ask me why ...

On Sunday 16 Sep 2012 23:18:01 Florian Gleixner wrote:

> Had the same problem. What i did:
>
> edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and set
> DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME="openSUSE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm4"
>
> tried with a logout -> no change
>
> set the Theme in System Settings -> worked.
>
> I tried with another machine, and it seems to be the only way to get it
> working - it needed the logout and X-restart. Dont ask me why ...

Mine is set to that  and it still doesn't give me any other login screen