Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

Matthew Stringer
Hi,

I wish to map a SMBFS drive located on a Win 2000 server, however I need to
log onto the Windows domain to access the drive however I can't remember how
to specify this in Konq.

I'm sure it was something like:

smb://user\DOMAIN@Server/Share/drive/ but it's not working, want to make sure
I'm using it correctly before I blame the Windows server, I've had a look on
the net but haven't yet found anything useful.

Cheers

Matthew




--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

S Glasoe
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 07:52, Matthew Stringer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wish to map a SMBFS drive located on a Win 2000 server, however I need
> to log onto the Windows domain to access the drive however I can't
> remember how to specify this in Konq.
>
> I'm sure it was something like:
>
> smb://user\DOMAIN@Server/Share/drive/ but it's not working, want to make
> sure I'm using it correctly before I blame the Windows server, I've had a
> look on the net but haven't yet found anything useful.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthew

One quick way to find some info on some protocols for KDE is from the main
menu System, Monitor, Protocols. There is a very brief smb description.

smb:/a_workgroup/the_host/the_share is one example. smb://user@server/share
works for me most often.

Stan

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

Matthew Stringer
In reply to this post by Matthew Stringer
On Thursday 10 August 2006 10:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> Can you log in via smbclient or via mount?

Works fine with smbclient but not smbmount.

Cheers

Matthew



--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

Roger Oberholtzer
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 11:36 +0100, Matthew Stringer wrote:
> On Thursday 10 August 2006 10:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
> > Can you log in via smbclient or via mount?
>
> Works fine with smbclient but not smbmount.
>

I mount some shares via fstab that require a domain. I use a line like
this:

//server/data3       /media/data3  smbfs
username=me,password=secret,workgroup=WGX,uid=someone 0 0

The uid helps when I am making files. I think these are pretty much
passed on to smbmount. I use the mount interface for convenience.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

Matthew Stringer
On Thursday 10 August 2006 13:44, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 11:36 +0100, Matthew Stringer wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 August 2006 10:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > > Can you log in via smbclient or via mount?
> >
> > Works fine with smbclient but not smbmount.
>
> I mount some shares via fstab that require a domain. I use a line like
> this:
>
> //server/data3       /media/data3  smbfs
> username=me,password=secret,workgroup=WGX,uid=someone 0 0
>
> The uid helps when I am making files. I think these are pretty much
> passed on to smbmount. I use the mount interface for convenience.


If I do that it works, however when I edit the fstab file, konq pops up asking
if I want to connect to the share, then says 'Permission Denied' However it
is mounted in the location that I've specified.

I can browse to that mount point via konq and and it's fine.

However I can't access a smb share directly via konq, via Net Attach under KDE
or by smbmount.

I'm running Suse 10 with the latest KDE.

I realise that I've gotten round the problem, but it would be nice to know why
it's not working under Konq/KDE.





--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Logging on to a SMB share that has a domain.

Roger Oberholtzer
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 13:58 +0100, Matthew Stringer wrote:

> On Thursday 10 August 2006 13:44, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 11:36 +0100, Matthew Stringer wrote:
> > > On Thursday 10 August 2006 10:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > > > Can you log in via smbclient or via mount?
> > >
> > > Works fine with smbclient but not smbmount.
> >
> > I mount some shares via fstab that require a domain. I use a line like
> > this:
> >
> > //server/data3       /media/data3  smbfs
> > username=me,password=secret,workgroup=WGX,uid=someone 0 0
> >
> > The uid helps when I am making files. I think these are pretty much
> > passed on to smbmount. I use the mount interface for convenience.
>
>
> If I do that it works, however when I edit the fstab file, konq pops up asking
> if I want to connect to the share, then says 'Permission Denied' However it
> is mounted in the location that I've specified.

Who does the mount point belong to?

> I can browse to that mount point via konq and and it's fine.
>
> However I can't access a smb share directly via konq, via Net Attach under KDE
> or by smbmount.

Have you tried setting your workgroup in /etc/smb/smb.conf? Some
settings in that file are consulted both when someone connects to your
system via SMB and when you connect to some other system with SMB. I
think smbmount (and probably any lib used by KDE/konq) uses the
workgroup there. So if it will not take it in the URL, maybe it will
take it from here. Of course, multiple shares with different workgroups
is a problem...

So ends my knowledge of this.

>
> I'm running Suse 10 with the latest KDE.
>
> I realise that I've gotten round the problem, but it would be nice to know why
> it's not working under Konq/KDE.
>
>
>
>
>
--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]