Lite-On and Linux

Duaine & Laura Hechler

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Issue from [hidden email] (SN: )~
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:12:37 +0800
From: ODD Support <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

Dear Duaine,

Thank you for contacting Liteon IT Support.

For your situation,sorry tell you that our drives don`t support Linux
system,
we suggest you put the drive on another PC which runs Windows2000/XP for
further use,due to we have done complete testing for this drive.
Any additional questiaons,we look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

=======================================
Customer Service Division
Lite-On IT Corp. www.liteonit.com
Email : [hidden email]
=======================================

■ Issue From :E-Mail Service ■
■ Issue DateTime is :2008/8/12 上午 04:34:50 ■

From: [hidden email]

Category: Optical Storage >> Driver/Firmware/Update

Comment:Is there a way to update a DVD drives firmware from Linux ?

Is so, what model drives supports it?

Thanks, Duaine

Time: 2008 08 11 PM 01:34:45

Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
Associate Member of the Piano Technicians Guild
Reed Organ Society Member
St. Louis, MO 63034
(314) 838-5587
[hidden email]
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 9+ years

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
Associate Member of the Piano Technicians Guild
Reed Organ Society Member
St. Louis, MO 63034
(314) 838-5587
[hidden email]
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 9+ years

Re: Lite-On and Linux

upscope
Duaine & Laura Hechler wrote:

> [...]
Yes I've heard this from them also. But my LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P works fine
with openSUSE 11.0 and 10.3. It was recognized at installation and I did
not have to do anything special.

It bad news when vendors won't support their products. Memorex, Seagate and
Maxstor will tell you the same thing.
--
Russ
Linux register user 441463

Re: Lite-On and Linux

upscope
On Wednesday 13 August 2008 06:51:24 am Duaine & Laura Hechler wrote:

> [...]

Maxtor will tell you the same thing.

--
Russ
Linux register user 441463

Re: Lite-On and Linux

Cristian Rodríguez
Duaine & Laura Hechler escribió:

> Dear Duaine,
>
> Thank you for contacting Liteon IT Support.
>
> For your situation,sorry tell you that our drives don`t support Linux
> system,
> we suggest you put the drive on another PC which runs Windows2000/XP for
> further use,due to we have done complete testing for this drive.
> Any additional questiaons,we look forward to hearing from you.

If the vendor is not supporting linux, does not mean the drive doesnt work.

--
"A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no
mercy. "

Cristian Rodríguez R.
Platform/OpenSUSE - Core Services
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development
http://www.opensuse.org/

Re: Lite-On and Linux

Duaine & Laura Hechler
I already have an HP dvd640 drive that works - just not DL support.

The problem is that, in order to get DL support, I have to update the
firmware - which is not supported under Linux.

Although, my local Linux group suggested BartPE or equivalent.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
Associate Member of the Piano Technicians Guild
Reed Organ Society Member
St. Louis, MO 63034
(314) 838-5587
[hidden email]
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 9+ years

Re: Lite-On and Linux

Fred A. Miller
Duaine & Laura Hechler wrote:

> I already have an HP dvd640 drive that works - just not DL support.
>
> The problem is that, in order to get DL support, I have to update the
> firmware - which is not supported under Linux.
>
> Although, my local Linux group suggested BartPE or equivalent.
>
> Duaine
>
> Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
>> Duaine & Laura Hechler escribió:
>>

>>> Dear Duaine,
>>>
>>> Thank you for contacting Liteon IT Support.
>>>
>>> For your situation,sorry tell you that our drives don`t support Linux
>>> system,
>>> we suggest you put the drive on another PC which runs Windows2000/XP for
>>> further use,due to we have done complete testing for this drive.
>>> Any additional questiaons,we look forward to hearing from you.
>>>

>> If the vendor is not supporting linux, does not mean the drive doesnt
>> work.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't!

Fred

--
This message originated from a Linux computer using Open Source software:
openSuSE Linux 11.0 No Gates, no Windows....just Linux - STABLE & SECURE!

Re: Lite-On and Linux

Fred A. Miller
Duaine & Laura Hechler wrote:
> So what drive DOES support Linux ?

>> As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't!

Most drives.....I wasn't aware that Lite-On didn't work properly. SHAME
on them!!

Fred

--
This message originated from a Linux computer using Open Source software:
openSuSE Linux 11.0 No Gates, no Windows....just Linux - STABLE & SECURE!

Re: Lite-On and Linux (meant to go to list)

Duaine & Laura Hechler

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
Associate Member of the Piano Technicians Guild
Reed Organ Society Member
St. Louis, MO 63034
(314) 838-5587
[hidden email]
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 9+ years

Re: Lite-On and Linux (meant to go to list)

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Duaine & Laura Hechler <[hidden email]> [08-13-08 16:29]:

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette#Quoting

> >As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't!
> >
> >Fred

plextor

--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Lite-On and Linux

Ed Harrison-2
Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Duaine & Laura Hechler wrote:
>> So what drive DOES support Linux ?

>>> As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't!
>
> Most drives.....I wasn't aware that Lite-On didn't work properly.
> SHAME on them!!
>
> Fred

Lite-On works just fine; many Sony drives have same hardware.  I even
hacked mine to get DL support, and this is a realtively old SOHW1633S.
Works like a charm, always has, never fails unless I get hold of a bad
disc.  Even then it is quick to point out the disc's flawed nature
(through k3b).  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Ed

Re: Lite-On and Linux (meant to go to list)

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Duaine & Laura Hechler <[hidden email]> [08-13-08 16:40]:
> THAT DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION
>
> Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >
> >http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette#Quoting

guess you need to read the message  :^)

and:  http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette#Quoting

thankyou,
--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

Re: Lite-On and Linux

Michael Skiba-2
Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2008 21:47:31 schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
> If the vendor is not supporting linux, does not mean the drive doesnt work.

As I understand it he was just asking for firmware upgrade possibilities?!

Many drives work without a problem with the drivers provided by the kernel.

Greetings
Michael

Re: Re: Lite-On and Linux

Carl Spitzer-4
I am using two ot these products a CDRW and DVDRW.  No problems.
Just because they do not support it does not matter.  They are ATAPI
based so they work.  Its the company which is lazy about helping you.

CWSIV

Re: Re: Lite-On and Linux

Amedee Van Gasse (be)
Carl Spitzer schreef:
> I am using two ot these products a CDRW and DVDRW.  No problems.
> Just because they do not support it does not matter.  They are ATAPI
> based so they work.  Its the company which is lazy about helping you.
>
> CWSIV

It is not the only thing they are lazy on. Seems like they need a
spelling checker too!
I'm very tolerant to spelling mistakes on mailing lists with an
intrenational public (like this one), but a professional company should
at least try to make an effort...

Re: Re: Lite-On and Linux

Carl Spitzer-9
On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 17:45 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> Carl Spitzer schreef:
> > I am using two ot these products a CDRW and DVDRW.  No problems.
> > Just because they do not support it does not matter.  They are ATAPI
> > based so they work.  Its the company which is lazy about helping you.
> >
> > CWSIV
> >
> It is not the only thing they are lazy on. Seems like they need a
> spelling checker too!
> I'm very tolerant to spelling mistakes on mailing lists with an
> intrenational public (like this one), but a professional company should
> at least try to make an effort...

I think the parent company is Tiawanese so they are not native speakers
and might not have the English or American spell checkers installed.

CWSIV