List with goals for next release

Benjamin Denisart
Hello everybody,

I think we need a webpage with objectives for next release and further
implementations, like the python status page.

One of those goals is to drop sysvinit and have a full and complete
implmentation of systemd ( it's just an example ). But actually we have
applications using sysvinit and applications using systemd on 12.3 and
previous release. If we have a page with a list of applications who need
a convertion, maintainers and OBS users can work of those without having
to search what application use an init script. There is other examples,
like implementation of dracut or Wicked, but users can't contribute to
those implementations because there is no page status.

Regards.
Posophe

Re: List with goals for next release

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 16:23 +0100, denisart benjamin2 wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I think we need a webpage with objectives for next release and further
> implementations, like the python status page.

Hi!

Very good idea and especially this early in the cycle (well, 13.1 did
not really start yet.. we're still busy with 12.3).

You surely know that for 12.3 we had
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_12.3

So, this is a wiki: why don't you do the honors and create a similar
page for 13.1? I'm sure we can fill it up with several topics in no
time :)

(My first one would be: drop GStreamer 0.10, it is dead and obsoleted by
GStreamer 1.0)

Dominique

Re: List with goals for next release

Cristian Rodríguez-2
El 16/02/13 12:46, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger escribió:

> On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 16:23 +0100, denisart benjamin2 wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I think we need a webpage with objectives for next release and further
>> implementations, like the python status page.
>
> Hi!
>
> Very good idea and especially this early in the cycle (well, 13.1 did
> not really start yet.. we're still busy with 12.3).
>
> You surely know that for 12.3 we had
> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_12.3
>
> So, this is a wiki: why don't you do the honors and create a similar
> page for 13.1? I'm sure we can fill it up with several topics in no
> time :)
>
> (My first one would be: drop GStreamer 0.10, it is dead and obsoleted by
> GStreamer 1.0)

Probably the very first steps could be:

- update the compiler to gcc 4.8
- update systemd to a current version
- finish up adding native systemd units to important components (for
example ntp , samba, etc still rely on init scripts)
- Keep factory permanently in sync with Kernel:HEAD

..there is probably dozen items more to include but that's in the top of
my big head.. ;)

Le 16/02/2013 18:01, Cristian Rodríguez a écrit :

> El 16/02/13 12:46, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger escribió:
>> On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 16:23 +0100, denisart benjamin2 wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I think we need a webpage with objectives for next release and further
>>> implementations, like the python status page.
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Very good idea and especially this early in the cycle (well, 13.1 did
>> not really start yet.. we're still busy with 12.3).
>>
>> You surely know that for 12.3 we had
>> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_12.3
>>
>> So, this is a wiki: why don't you do the honors and create a similar
>> page for 13.1? I'm sure we can fill it up with several topics in no
>> time :)
>>
>> (My first one would be: drop GStreamer 0.10, it is dead and obsoleted by
>> GStreamer 1.0)
>

> Probably the very first steps could be:
>
> - update the compiler to gcc 4.8
> - update systemd to a current version
> - finish up adding native systemd units to important components (for
> example ntp , samba, etc still rely on init scripts)
> - Keep factory permanently in sync with Kernel:HEAD
>
> ..there is probably dozen items more to include but that's in the top
> of my big head.. ;)

And update libboost but I'm doing that now

Re: List with goals for next release

Rajko M.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:17:35 +0100
denisart benjamin2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 16/02/2013 18:01, Cristian Rodríguez a écrit :
> > El 16/02/13 12:46, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger escribió:
> And update libboost but I'm doing that now

In the meantime I took liberty to create page with initial items that
are mentioned in previous posts.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_13.1

I think that kind of page is needed right on start of feature freeze,
where interested people can write whatever is not possible to
accomplish before release.

--
Regards, Rajko.

Le 16/02/2013 19:16, Rajko a écrit :

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:17:35 +0100
> denisart benjamin2 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 16/02/2013 18:01, Cristian Rodríguez a écrit :
>>> El 16/02/13 12:46, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger escribió:
>> And update libboost but I'm doing that now
> In the meantime I took liberty to create page with initial items that
> are mentioned in previous posts.
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_13.1
>

> I think that kind of page is needed right on start of feature freeze,
> where interested people can write whatever is not possible to
> accomplish before release.

A good idea. We will complete the list with the time.

Re: List with goals for next release

Ralf Lang-3

Re: List with goals for next release

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Sunday 2013-02-17 16:15, Ralf Lang wrote:

>Anybody looking into the php5 binaries?

What do you expect to find there?

On Sunday 2013-02-17 16:46, Ralf Lang wrote:

>The PHP crowd is currently feature freezing php 5.5 and there is a
>running RFC if they will include the newly opensourced Zend Optimizer+
>into the core. This would be a major incentive to upgrade and would
>make the distribution shine which adopts it fast.
>
>I just wanted to know if anybody considers this a goal for opensuse
>after 12.3 and would put work into it. ($topic)

Dunno. Zendoptimizer is a module, and it is in
server:php:extensions/php5-zendoptimizer as a result of me running
over it on some news site. It looks like it runs with php 5.3,
so 5.5 does not offer me anything extra in that regard.

Re: List with goals for next release

Philipp Thomas-3
On 16.02.13 18:17 denisart benjamin2 wrote:

> And update libboost but I'm doing that now

That's much appreciated! If you do that, drop the separate bjam package
and use the bootstrap script to always use the bjam included with every
boost tarball. When I started packaging boost, upstream provided
separate tarballs for bjam. Since some time I always had the added work
of extracting the bjam subdir tree. As nobody besides the boost folk
seems to use bjam (which I do understand), there is IMO no need for an
extra package.

Philipp