Linux on a single computer

1234 ... 7

Linux on a single computer

lynn-32
Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
Lynn

Re: Linux on a single computer

Stephen P Molnar
On 12/14/2009 11:23 AM, lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

Yes, for years now.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.       Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry      Stochastic and multivariate

Re: Linux on a single computer

Patrick Shanahan-2
* lynn <[hidden email]> [12-14-09 11:26]:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?

Define "use openSUSE on just a single computer".

I have a *single* computer in front of me with *only* openSUSE linux
installed and operational.  I use it for mail, browsing, web-serving,
processing photographs, remote management of *several* windoz machines,
testing, help heating the room, etc.

It is a single computer, just a single computer.  It has openSUSE, *only*
openSUSE.

--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Linux on a single computer

Roger Oberholtzer
On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 17:23 +0100, lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?

You mean not connected to the internet? We do this in our product. The
Linux computers are in a measurement vehicle on the road. Pretty much
commando. Some do have diskless clients that boot openSUSE a la KIWI,
But that is about it.

Or do you mean something else?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Re: Linux on a single computer

DenverD
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

yes, one computer single booting with no MS or Apple software anywhere..

dd
(connected to millions and millions of other computers via Al Gore's
information superhighway)

Re: Linux on a single computer

Randall Schulz
On Monday December 14 2009, lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?

In contrast to what? OpenSUSE Linux is not a distributed operating
system, so by definition it runs on single computers.

> Lynn

Randall Schulz

Re: Linux on a single computer

Alexey Eromenko
I tried to run openSUSE as the only OS, but no-go. I still need Windows Games.

This is very dependent upon your needs.

If Linux can cover your needs, then good, if not, then you need Windows too...

-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 18:51 +0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> I tried to run openSUSE as the only OS, but no-go. I still need Windows Games.
>
> This is very dependent upon your needs.
>
> If Linux can cover your needs, then good, if not, then you need Windows too...

Drugs, man. I need my fix.

But my non-Linux fix of choice is Mac. When I need it. When I get real
tense and just can't deal with it...

:)

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Re: Linux on a single computer

James Knott
lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

I run it on a few home computers.  While I certainly use networking
between computers, none of them can be considered a "server" as such.
I've only got Windows on one computer and only because it came with it.
I normally run Linux on that one too.  While Linux is a major player on
servers and owns the supercomputer market, there are also many of us who
run their desktops on Linux.

Re: Linux on a single computer

Robert Rea
On Mon December 14 2009 11:23 am, lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

The box I am writing from is a linux only box and I do all
my normal tasks here. I also have a laptop that has XP on
it too. Techical difficulties with wireless led to this but
have been solved. When and if I upgrade, XP will be gone. I
also have a Win 2000 box that has all my old files from
when it was in my office. I now work at home, and it is
used for reference mostly, plus I use it some of the time
to listen to streaming audio.

I have been a desktop Linux user for at least a decade.

--
Bob Rea
mailto:[hidden email]

Where is Bill Stringfellow
        now that we really need him?

Re: Linux on a single computer

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 12/14/2009 11:23 AM, lynn pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

I do and have for over 12 years. If I need to run something in a Windows
environment I use Crossover Office or VirtualBox.

I used to run a second machine (not counting my laptop here) as a web
server and mail gateway but gave that up a couple of years ago and went
with a low price hosting service that is actually cheaper than the cost
of the hardware, not to mention the cost of electricity to run it.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: Linux on a single computer

N B Day-4
On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 10:23 -0600, lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

I think you mean: do you (own, administer, work with) just one computer.
Unlikely that many on this sort of technical list do.  At the very least
we have households with other people and their computers in them, and it
looks as if many of us are (or were, in my case) responsible for fleets
of the things.

We two oldish people have three machines with openSUSE (they have other
operating systems as well) in constant use plus an elderly laptop and
enough bits in the computer closet to make maybe 2 and a half more.  I
take care of 5 or 6 friends and relatives and maintain a couple of
ancient programs for my former employer (the users like them and refuse
to learn anything new -- story of my life). When you're in that rut you
need to have Windows XP both virtual and on bare metal somewhere. Thanks
be to $DIETY that the university couldn't afford to bite on Vista.

I'm considering converting my wife's play and writing computers to Linux
Mint for a couple of reasons:

1. It's dead easy for the non-technically adept to learn and use.

2. If I croak suddenly, she's got time either to learn the little
additional stuff she'd have to to upgrade in a year or two when things
start to get old or to hook up with another nerd.  oS would take more
learning than I suspect she'd we willing to do, and you can't count on
the nerd, who's more likely to be familiar with the Ubuntu family
anyway.

3, I've already done this for several friends.

I don't know many middle-class people, either in Europe or North America
(even singles) with one or fewer computers; not many of them rolled
their own, so most of them have already paid for some crap from
Microsoft.

--
N. B. Day
39° 28.3964' North, 119° 48.6346' West, 1403m up

Re: Linux on a single computer

Patrick Shanahan-2
* N B Day <[hidden email]> [12-14-09 14:22]:

> I'm considering converting my wife's play and writing computers to Linux
> Mint for a couple of reasons:
>
> 1. It's dead easy for the non-technically adept to learn and use.
>
> 2. If I croak suddenly, she's got time either to learn the little
> additional stuff she'd have to to upgrade in a year or two when things
> start to get old or to hook up with another nerd.  oS would take more
> learning than I suspect she'd we willing to do, and you can't count on
> the nerd, who's more likely to be familiar with the Ubuntu family
> anyway.
>
> 3, I've already done this for several friends.
>
> I don't know many middle-class people, either in Europe or North America
> (even singles) with one or fewer computers; not many of them rolled
> their own, so most of them have already paid for some crap from
> Microsoft.

You might have a quick look at puppy-linux.  Minimal/easy install and
very little overhead.
--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

Re: Linux on a single computer

Rodney Baker-2
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:53:26 lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

My main desktop machine is oS only and I use that for around 99% of all my
work at home; I run Win7 beta under VirtualBox to access the Outlook Web
Access client for my work email (they're stuck on Outlook/Exchange :-( ).

I have a laptop that is dual-boot with Windows XP and openSuse (used
occasionally) and another work laptop also with WinXP and openSuse.  On that
one I have Win2k installed under VirtualBox because I have a couple of
equipment-specific apps that won't run on anything later than Win2k (so I run
that in vb on openSuse).

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 13:49 -0600, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * N B Day <[hidden email]> [12-14-09 14:22]:
> >
> > I'm considering converting my wife's play and writing computers to Linux
> > Mint for a couple of reasons:
> >

> > 3, I've already done this for several friends.
> >

> You might have a quick look at puppy-linux.  Minimal/easy install and
> very little overhead.
Thanks.... I think I played with that a little during the
big-Katrina-hole-in-my-life tour four years ago; maybe time for another
look.

The name Puppy might be a problem for a couple of my users who fancy
themselves to be cowboys.  I guess I could re-package it as BigMeanDog
Linux and no one would know.  Would the putative nerd-who-comes-after-me
know what to do with it?

A marketing opportunity!  Package something appropriate for sale in
western wear, feed stores and motorcycle shops: real men aren't
Microsofties,they use BigMeanDog.

One thing I know for sure: openSUSE may be all kinds of wonderful but it
absolutely confounds new and non-technical users. I've learned this the
hard way. The default to KDE 4 is part of the problem right now (and I
dread Gnome 3.0). It doesn't look/act like anything they've ever seen.
Non-technical folks don't see this as an adventure, they want their AOL
back.

The advantage of Mint is that everything is pre-installed (including the
illegal codecs) and the defaults are sensible enough that cowboys, wives
and girlfriends can be doing useful stuff in a hour.

Maybe there's some Irish solidarity going on too....

--
N. B. Day
39° 28.3964' North, 119° 48.6346' West, 1403m up
Aurelius up 2 days 2:14, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.24, 0.19
2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop x86_64 GNU/Linux openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64)

Re: Linux on a single computer

Basil Chupin-2
On 15/12/09 03:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * lynn <[hidden email]> [12-14-09 11:26]:
>
>> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
>>
> Define "use openSUSE on just a single computer".

That is, on a computer which is not married nor in any relationship with
other - same sex or otherwise - computers.

OK?

BC

--

If you don't succeed you run the risk of failure.

Re: Linux on a single computer

John Andersen-2
On 12/14/2009 8:23 AM, lynn wrote:
> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> Lynn

I'm pretty sure that's not what you intended to ask, hence all the
smart ass replies.

Care to try again?

On 15/12/09 15:37, John Andersen wrote:

> On 12/14/2009 8:23 AM, lynn wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
>> Lynn
>>

> I'm pretty sure that's not what you intended to ask, hence all the
> smart ass replies.
>
> Care to try again?

Party pooper!

:-D

BC

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 05:37:47 John Andersen wrote:
> On 12/14/2009 8:23 AM, lynn wrote:
> > Does anyone here use openSUSE on just a single computer?
> > Lynn
>
> I'm pretty sure that's not what you intended to ask, hence all the
> smart ass replies.
>
> Care to try again?

No that's fine. Let them be smart, They've all helped me enough in the past
and they all know what I want to ask. I've never seen a laptop or anyones
computer at home running Linux. But you've just enlightened me.
Thanks. L x

On 15/12/09 20:11, lynn wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 December 2009 05:37:47 John Andersen wrote:

Hurrah! itsa fix-e-d! :-)

Thanks, Lynn.

BC