LfL build problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LfL build problem

James MacKenzie
I've been trying to build the book as described in the LfL Quick Start guide, but keep
getting stopped by an error: "unable to open image
'images/print/kde-kiosk_add_profile.png': No such file or directory." Can anyone
suggest what the problem might be?

James MacKenzie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Alexey Eromenko
On 9/21/07, James MacKenzie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been trying to build the book as described in the LfL Quick Start guide, but keep
> getting stopped by an error: "unable to open image
> 'images/print/kde-kiosk_add_profile.png': No such file or directory." Can anyone
> suggest what the problem might be?

This looks like a bad download from SVN. Try again, or put some other
PNG file in it's place.

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Thomas R. Jones
In reply to this post by James MacKenzie
Hello james,

I have just begun developing on the openSUSE 10.3 Beta2 distribution and
have come across the same error. The issue is with the "directories"
call in the /usr/share/susedoc/make/common.mk file. I have made alot of
personal changes to this file; otherwise I would just generate a diff
and give it you. Anyways, the .SECONDARY line may be commented out....
it is unneeded. Also the images/gen references may be removed. As well,
images/src/dia is not needed ---- no directory with this name is
versioned/tracked through svn.

There are alot of inconsistencies with the build system. For instance
the LAYOUT variable is declared(twice), then is unset and set one more
time. ??????

There are various other that I can write up if the admins would like.
Maybe a sanitized diff would be needed?

QUESTION TO ADMINS: When, if ever, is the liberation fonts going to be
supported? The agfa-fonts package is not available on the 10.3 system;
so a build via the "Quick Start Guide" fails.

Thomas R. Jones


On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 15:02 -0300, James MacKenzie wrote:

> I've been trying to build the book as described in the LfL Quick Start guide, but keep
> getting stopped by an error: "unable to open image
> 'images/print/kde-kiosk_add_profile.png': No such file or directory." Can anyone
> suggest what the problem might be?
>
> James MacKenzie
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Thomas Schraitle-2
Hi Thomas,

On Freitag, 28. September 2007, Thomas R. Jones wrote:
> [...]
>
> There are alot of inconsistencies with the build system. For
> instance the LAYOUT variable is declared(twice), then is unset and
> set one more time. ??????

LAYOUT was a former hack but is now deprecated.


> There are various other that I can write up if the admins would
> like. Maybe a sanitized diff would be needed?

Berthold is the maintainer of the build mechanic and I am sure he
takes patches. :)


> QUESTION TO ADMINS: When, if ever, is the liberation fonts going to
> be supported? The agfa-fonts package is not available on the 10.3
> system; so a build via the "Quick Start Guide" fails.

Well, that's only a matter of configuration. :)
(By the way: The agfa-font package can be downloaded from a previous
version, unfortunatly I don't have a link at hand, ATM.)

From a quick look, it seems the fonts are suitable for most languages
(except CKJ). However, I need to do some layout tests from what I've
said in [1]. Unfortunatly, I am burried in another project at the
moment, so help is very appreciated. I take patches. :)

The font configuration for FOP should be not that difficult, see [2].
Whenever my time permits, I will configure it for XEP.


Bye,
Tom


----
[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-doc/2007-08/msg00029.html
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/fonts.html

--
Thomas Schraitle

----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX GmbH      >o)   Documentation Specialist
Maxfeldstrasse 5     /\\  
90409 Nuernberg     _\_v   http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation_Team
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Lessons_for_Lizards
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Berthold Gunreben
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
 
> On Freitag, 28. September 2007, Thomas R. Jones wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > There are alot of inconsistencies with the build system. For
> > instance the LAYOUT variable is declared(twice), then is unset and
> > set one more time. ??????
>
> LAYOUT was a former hack but is now deprecated.

Hmm not exactly, LAYOUT is what you should use. However, if you find
several instances of setting and unsetting this variable, you must
have a different file.

LAYOUT should be set either in an project (ENV-) file, or manually for
a build after sourcing the ENV- file. This variable is unset when
choosing a new project file, because not all of the projects
explicitly set this variable and just rely on the default value
openSUSE.
 
> > There are various other that I can write up if the admins would
> > like. Maybe a sanitized diff would be needed?
>
> Berthold is the maintainer of the build mechanic and I am sure he
> takes patches. :)

I am always interested in improvements. However, the LAYOUT mechanics
seems to be alright in the moment. I am planning for a new structure
of the mechanics and I am working on this. Currently, people here
first want to finish their projects before the let me insert those
updates.
 
Berthold

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
 Berthold Gunreben               SUSE Linux GmbH -- Dokumentation
 mailto:[hidden email]                                  Maxfeldstr. 5
 http://www.suse.de/                   D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
 SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG N├╝rnberg)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Thomas Schraitle-2
Hi,

On Freitag, 28. September 2007, Berthold Gunreben wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> > On Freitag, 28. September 2007, Thomas R. Jones wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > There are alot of inconsistencies with the build system. For
> > > instance the LAYOUT variable is declared(twice), then is unset
> > > and set one more time. ??????
> >
> > LAYOUT was a former hack but is now deprecated.
>
> Hmm not exactly, LAYOUT is what you should use. [...]

Ahh, right. For some unknown reason, I mixed it up with STYLEFO. ;)


Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas Schraitle

----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX GmbH      >o)   Documentation Specialist
Maxfeldstrasse 5     /\\  
90409 Nuernberg     _\_v   http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation_Team
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Lessons_for_Lizards
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

James MacKenzie
In reply to this post by Thomas R. Jones
Thomas et al.,

I've finally gotten LfL to build successfully, though I'm not sure  
why. The only change I made seems unrelated to the error I mentioned  
(I installed agfa-fonts, which was missing from my 10.2 install).  
Thanks for the replies,

James

On 27-Sep-07, at 9:03 PM, Thomas R. Jones wrote:

> Hello james,
>
> I have just begun developing on the openSUSE 10.3 Beta2  
> distribution and
> have come across the same error. The issue is with the "directories"
> call in the /usr/share/susedoc/make/common.mk file. I have made  
> alot of
> personal changes to this file; otherwise I would just generate a diff
> and give it you. Anyways, the .SECONDARY line may be commented out....
> it is unneeded. Also the images/gen references may be removed. As  
> well,
> images/src/dia is not needed ---- no directory with this name is
> versioned/tracked through svn.
>
> There are alot of inconsistencies with the build system. For instance
> the LAYOUT variable is declared(twice), then is unset and set one more
> time. ??????
>
> There are various other that I can write up if the admins would like.
> Maybe a sanitized diff would be needed?
>
> QUESTION TO ADMINS: When, if ever, is the liberation fonts going to be
> supported? The agfa-fonts package is not available on the 10.3 system;
> so a build via the "Quick Start Guide" fails.
>
> Thomas R. Jones
>
>
> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 15:02 -0300, James MacKenzie wrote:
>> I've been trying to build the book as described in the LfL Quick  
>> Start guide, but keep
>> getting stopped by an error: "unable to open image
>> 'images/print/kde-kiosk_add_profile.png': No such file or  
>> directory." Can anyone
>> suggest what the problem might be?
>>
>> James MacKenzie
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Alexey Eromenko
Hmmm... maybe we should check this deeper? (Unfortunately I don't have
a Linux machine right at hand now)

And if this turn out as problem, we could add "agfa-fonts" as RPM
dependency to one of the packages that build LfL ?

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LfL build problem

Thomas Schraitle-2
Hi,

On Samstag, 29. September 2007, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Hmmm... maybe we should check this deeper? (Unfortunately I don't
> have a Linux machine right at hand now)
>
> And if this turn out as problem, we could add "agfa-fonts" as RPM
> dependency to one of the packages that build LfL ?

That's one solution. However, I would prefer to use more or less free
fonts for LfL. As I wrote in previous mails about this topic, this
turns out to be a difficult task. I didn't check the Liberation fonts
but it seems a good (better?) choice. Maybe someone would like to try
it? :)

If someone needs the agfa-fonts package, download it from [1].

Bye,
Tom


[1]
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/update/10.2/rpm/noarch/agfa-fonts-2003.03.19-53.noarch.rpm


--
Thomas Schraitle

----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX GmbH      >o)   Documentation Specialist
Maxfeldstrasse 5     /\\  
90409 Nuernberg     _\_v   http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation_Team
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Lessons_for_Lizards
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]