Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-27 13:52, Dave Plater wrote:

>> which seem to suggest that google sent two copies to suse.
>>

> Thanks for the clarification, obviously the archives and thunderbird
> hide duplicates. I'm going to blame Thunderbird, I've been using it for
> years but now it's getting jerky and hangs from time to time. Time to
> find another email gui.

The issue is affecting one person in the Spanish mail list, too. Gmail user.

No, Thunderbird does not hide duplicates: but Gmail inbox server does.

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Per Jessen
Dave Plater wrote:

> On 27/01/2018 14:23, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Dave Plater wrote:

>>> The mailing list archives also show only one post
>>
>> I also only got it once, but my reader excludes duplicate
>> message-ids. I checked the mailing list server logs, and your message
>> showed a number of times:
>>
>> 2018-01-26T13:23:11
>> 2018-01-26T13:56:49
>> 2018-01-26T15:25:04
>> 2018-01-26T16:23:04
>> 2018-01-26T22:04:38
>>
>> Weird.
>>

> Although I only use imap on this address, I had pop enabled as well.

They're both for receiving, should have no effect.

> Don't know if that caused it. I've seen this with other peoples
> messages on occasions.
> I'm looking at claws-mail, going to look at alpine as well have to set
> up filters again sigh.

FWIW, I'm using TB too (not here though), both an older and a newer, I
have not seen either misbehave.

A message being resent could also be a mailserver that does not receive
proper confirmation of delivery and therefore has to retry it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.0°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Dave Plater lst

On 27/01/2018 15:37, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:52:26 +0200
> Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 27/01/2018 14:00, Dave Howorth wrote:
> [snip]
>> Dave P
>
> Good idea. Getting one that didn't run on your reply into the quoted
> original would also help :)

I've had that complaint as well. There's already a ">" above and this
time I've added a \n as well.
Dave P

On 27/01/2018 15:57, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2018-01-27 13:52, Dave Plater wrote:
>>

>>> which seem to suggest that google sent two copies to suse.
>>>

>> Thanks for the clarification, obviously the archives and thunderbird
>> hide duplicates. I'm going to blame Thunderbird, I've been using it for
>> years but now it's getting jerky and hangs from time to time. Time to
>> find another email gui.
>
> The issue is affecting one person in the Spanish mail list, too. Gmail user.
>
> No, Thunderbird does not hide duplicates: but Gmail inbox server does.

Maybe I should try pop instead of imap.
Dave P

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 15:36:23 +0200
Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm looking at claws-mail,

Claws works well for me, and has a very responsive support network if
somewhat idiosyncratic at times. Perhaps best to try it and see if you
like it or at least can live with it.

On 2018-01-27 15:00, Per Jessen wrote:
> A message being resent could also be a mailserver that does not receive
> proper confirmation of delivery and therefore has to retry it.

I suspect this might be the case.

There is one person on the Spanish mail list that has the same problem.

And yesterday mail to the lists got delays of about one hour, at the
first entry server.

Dave Plater wrote:

>>> Thanks for the clarification, obviously the archives and thunderbird
>>> hide duplicates. I'm going to blame Thunderbird, I've been using it
>>> for years but now it's getting jerky and hangs from time to time.
>>> Time to find another email gui.
>>
>> The issue is affecting one person in the Spanish mail list, too.
>> Gmail user.
>>
>> No, Thunderbird does not hide duplicates: but Gmail inbox server
>> does.
>>

> Maybe I should try pop instead of imap.

It won't matter, neither is realted to sending.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.5°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

On 2018-01-27 18:21, Per Jessen wrote:

> Dave Plater wrote:

>>> The issue is affecting one person in the Spanish mail list, too.
>>> Gmail user.
>>>
>>> No, Thunderbird does not hide duplicates: but Gmail inbox server
>>> does.
>>>

>> Maybe I should try pop instead of imap.
>
> It won't matter, neither is realted to sending.
And neither with the gmail filtering of duplicates.

On 2018-01-27 18:21, Per Jessen wrote:

> Dave Plater wrote:

>>> The issue is affecting one person in the Spanish mail list, too.
>>> Gmail user.
>>>
>>> No, Thunderbird does not hide duplicates: but Gmail inbox server
>>> does.
>>>

>> Maybe I should try pop instead of imap.
>
> It won't matter, neither is realted to sending.

Andrei Borzenkov is also affected - I saw a mail of him in triplicate.

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Peter Suetterlin-2
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> El 2018-01-27 a las 10:29 +0200, Dave Plater escribió:

> >> This post has arrived at least three times on the list.
> >
> >You mean my one, I use Thunderbird with google imap on this account and it
> >downloads the post, only got it once.
>
> Google is known for removing extra copies, so you wouldn't see them.

Interesting.  Probably our university does the same - I also only got one copy here...

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 16:18:37 +0200
Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27/01/2018 15:37, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:52:26 +0200
> > Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On 27/01/2018 14:00, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Dave P
> > > Good idea. Getting one that didn't run on your reply into the
> > > quoted
> > original would also help :)
> > I've had that complaint as well. There's already a ">" above and
> > this time I've added a \n as well.
> Dave P

Whatever you did didn't seem to make any difference.

FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display artifacts in
Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's using google.

Duplicate posts at the lists [Was: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6]

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-27 20:09, Dave Howorth wrote:

> FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display artifacts in
> Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's using google.

You are right, I can confirm. It duplicates at entry to mx2.suse.de.

duplicate emails to list. Was: Re: [opensuse] Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:09:27 +0000
Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 16:18:37 +0200
> Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 27/01/2018 15:37, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > original would also help :)
> > > I've had that complaint as well. There's already a ">" above and
> > > this time I've added a \n as well.
> > Dave P
>
> Whatever you did didn't seem to make any difference.
>
> FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display artifacts
> in Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's using google.

And also FWIW, I don't see duplicate messages from Andrei Borzenkov,
and he uses gmail. So it's not a simple case of gmail duplicating
everything it sends to suse.

Re: duplicate emails to list. Was: Re: [opensuse] Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-27 22:30, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:09:27 +0000 Dave Howorth <> wrote:

>> FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display artifacts
>> in Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's using google.
>
> And also FWIW, I don't see duplicate messages from Andrei Borzenkov,
> and he uses gmail. So it's not a simple case of gmail duplicating
> everything it sends to suse.

I don't think you will ever see any duplicate while using a gmail
account, because they delete them. You only get the first copy.

I have seen duplicates from Andrei B.

IMHO, the issue is caused by mx2.suse.de

Re: Duplicate posts at the lists

Felix Miata-3

> Dave Howorth wrote:

>> FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display artifacts in
>> Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's using google.

> You are right, I can confirm. It duplicates at entry to mx2.suse.de.

Since first of year, I get many opensuse list duplicates, and many warnings
about bouncing, but only from opensuse lists.

        http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/emailbouncing20180125.jpg

It seems to me something to do with the software the opensuse lists are using
must have changed since last month, or maybe November, when I got the first 3
bounce messages I can recall ever getting from an opensuse list.

Today so far I've received using POP in SeaMonkey 2.49.1:
4 from Andrei's 2018-01-26 20:46 +0300 TB
2 from Andrei's 21:31 +0300 TB
2 from Andrei's 23:00 +0300 TB
2 from Dave Plater's 2018-01-26 15:14 +0200 TB
4 from Dave Plater's 12:44 +0200 TB
3 from Dave Plater's 14:26 +0200 TB
2 from Dave Plater's 15:36 +0200 TB
2 from Dave Plater's 16:05 +0200 TB
2 from Dave Plater's 16:15 +0200 TB
4 from Dave Plater's 16:18 +0200 TB
3 from Dave Plater's 16:20 +0200 TB
2 from ellanios82's 22:55 +0200 TB
2 from Felix Miata's 10:59 -0500 SM
3 from Jeffrey Harris's 12:50 -0600 Evolution
2 from Larry Finger's 13:22 -0600 TB
3 from Neal Gompa's 13:58 -0500 (unknown)
42 copies of 16 messages

Same duplications appear when I view messages in Earthlink's webmail.

Total messages from opensuse lists so far today: 106

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Felix Miata wrote:

> Carlos E. R. composed on 2018-01-27 22:16 (UTC+0100):
>
>> Dave Howorth wrote:
>
>>> FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display
>>> artifacts in Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's
>>> using google.
>
>> You are right, I can confirm. It duplicates at entry to mx2.suse.de.
>
> Since first of year, I get many opensuse list duplicates, and many
> warnings about bouncing, but only from opensuse lists.
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/emailbouncing20180125.jpg
>
> It seems to me something to do with the software the opensuse lists
> are using must have changed since last month, or maybe November, when
> I got the first 3 bounce messages I can recall ever getting from an
> opensuse list.

The mailing list software has not changed. I guarantee it.  I have long
had plans to change it, but I have not had the time.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.4°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: duplicate emails to list. Was: Re: [opensuse] Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 22:42:01 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-01-27 22:30, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:09:27 +0000 Dave Howorth <> wrote:

> >> FWIW, there's also a duplicate post by Felix Miata, Display
> >> artifacts in Leap 42.3 at 15:59 UTC and it doesn't seem that he's
> >> using google.
> >
> > And also FWIW, I don't see duplicate messages from Andrei Borzenkov,
> > and he uses gmail. So it's not a simple case of gmail duplicating
> > everything it sends to suse.
>
> I don't think you will ever see any duplicate while using a gmail
> account, because they delete them. You only get the first copy.

I don't use gmail. I don't have any google account.
(or facebook, twitter, linkedin etc etc :)

Andrei uses gmail as I said, and as does Dave P but not Felix.

> I have seen duplicates from Andrei B.

I haven't today, I don't think. If you can give me a date and time of
an occurence, I can check.

> IMHO, the issue is caused by mx2.suse.de

I haven't seen this problem on any other list, certainly. And it has
got much, much worse here in the past few days. To the point it is an
annoyance rather than an amusement now.

On 27/01/2018 19:21, Per Jessen wrote:

> Dave Plater wrote:

>>> The issue is affecting one person in the Spanish mail list, too.
>>> Gmail user.
>>>
>>> No, Thunderbird does not hide duplicates: but Gmail inbox server
>>> does.
>>>

>> Maybe I should try pop instead of imap.
>
> It won't matter, neither is realted to sending.

Maybe an automatic resend on timeout? Where to set the timeout is
another mystery.
Dave P

On 27/01/2018 16:42, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 15:36:23 +0200
> Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm looking at claws-mail,
>
> Claws works well for me, and has a very responsive support network if
> somewhat idiosyncratic at times. Perhaps best to try it and see if you
> like it or at least can live with it.

I enabled it for my personal email and it seems ok but what's baulking
me is the thought of losing all my list mails also setting up the
filters again. I had a look at the web ui of my dplater.list account and
there was one email from two days ago and then the last message was
December last year. I've set thunderbird to not delete the messages on
the server but I think it started deleting them last year.

My main problem is thunderbird has been hanging at times and I can't yet
find anything that causes it yet. Claws would solve that problem.
Dave P

Re: Leap 42.3 old TeXlive, old Circuitikz 0.6

Dr. Werner Fink
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:22:04PM +0000, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> Hmmm, I just looked at build.opensuse.org and there are two maintainers for
> TeX Live, but when I go to their opensuse.org pages, TeX Live does not show
> up in their list of packages they contribute to.  So has this package become
> stagnant?  If it has, I volunteer for maintaining it. I used to work for the
> American Mathematical Society so I know Tex Live, and before that teTeX, plus
> have lots of software building and publishing experience.  I know of a few
> people who contribute to TeX Live (or at least did).  I am quite sure I can
> figure out OBS and how to get it up-to-date with newer TeX Live packages.
>
> Tom
Hmmm ... as I'm the maintainer/bugowner of TeXLive I'd like to state that
all binaries including asymptote and the perl for biber coming with the
TeXLive version are build with the system libraries as well as with the
perl version respectivly the compiler version, flags, and setup used for
all packages for a distribution.  Beside this all packages requiring TeXLive
for build e.g. their documentation will be build with the TeXLive version
from exactly this distribution.

And this depends heavily on the availble libraries, compiler, and perl packages
available for Leap.  On the other hand the TeXLive from tug.org does not
depend on those packages and libraries as those will be installed as well
ignoring system libraries (key word LD_LIBRARY_PATH -> ld(1)), perl verison.
as well as the compiler version, flags, and setup.

In fact for TeXLive 2017 it had become very difficult to get biber to work
with the old or missing perl packages. Also it had shown that many pacakges
had to be adopted to build their documentation with the new TeXLive
version.

Nevertheless, every helper is welcome who has the time and is willingly
to spend some time to get TeXLive 2017 working on Leap 42.3.

Werner