Leap 15.0 Beta - problems within VirtualBox

Leap 15.0 Beta - problems within VirtualBox

Linux Kamarada
Hi everyone! I use openSUSE Leap 42.3.

I downloaded openSUSE Leap 15.0 NET install to give it a try and
created two virtual machines in VirtualBox: one for KDE and the other
for GNOME.

Both virtual machines render 640x480 and resizing the host window does
not resize the guest screen. Bidirectional clipboard works, so I know
VirtualBox guest additions is somehow working.

From https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84652#p402321 :

"Hi, from other posts in the forums, it seems that there is an issue
with VBox video driver and X11 1.19.x, the virtual machine will work
but the video will not be able to be resized. We are awaiting any
confirmation from development..."

Regarding the GNOME installation, I'm not able to pass GDM: I enter
username and password and when I hit Enter, the screen goes black and
then it comes back to GDM.

Is anyone aware of that?

Cheers!

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project
http://kamarada.github.io/

Re: Leap 15.0 Beta - problems within VirtualBox

Knurpht-openSUSE

Please report a bug at bugzilla.opensuse.org
I can confirm this issue in Vbox.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Em Sáb, 2018-02-03 às 12:43 +0100, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink escreveu:

> Op zaterdag 3 februari 2018 03:51:48 CET schreef Linux Kamarada:
> >
> > Hi everyone! I use openSUSE Leap 42.3.
> >
> > I downloaded openSUSE Leap 15.0 NET install to give it a try and
> > created two virtual machines in VirtualBox: one for KDE and the other
> > for GNOME.
> >
> > Both virtual machines render 640x480 and resizing the host window does
> > not resize the guest screen. Bidirectional clipboard works, so I know
> > VirtualBox guest additions is somehow working.
> >
> > From https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84652#p402321 :
> >
> > "Hi, from other posts in the forums, it seems that there is an issue
> > with VBox video driver and X11 1.19.x, the virtual machine will work
> > but the video will not be able to be resized. We are awaiting any
> > confirmation from development..."
> >
> > Regarding the GNOME installation, I'm not able to pass GDM: I enter
> > username and password and when I hit Enter, the screen goes black and
> > then it comes back to GDM.
> >
> > Is anyone aware of that?
> >
> > Cheers!
> >

> > Antonio
> > The Linux Kamarada Project
> > http://kamarada.github.io/
>
> Please report a bug at bugzilla.opensuse.org
> I can confirm this issue in Vbox.

Should I open two bugs, one for KDE and other for GNOME, or just one? I believe
they have the same cause, but they are somehow different.

Also related, I'm trying to build a live image for openSUSE Leap 15.0 Beta with
KDE desktop using OBS + KIWI NG.

Download: https://api.opensuse.org/build/home:livesuse:15.0:dev/images/x86_64/Li
veSUSE-Leap-KDE/LiveSUSE-Leap-15.0-KDE.x86_64-15.0.2018020201-Build13.1.iso

Source: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:livesuse:15.0:dev/LiveSUSE-
Leap-KDE

If I boot it using VirtualBox, it should autologin the linux user and show the
KDE desktop. Instead, it shows tty1. The only way to get to KDE is logging in as
root and then running startx. Except for that, everything seems to be fine. If I
login as a non priviledged user, I'm not able to startx. /var/log/Xorg.0.log
does not exist and journalctl does not show useful information to debug why SDDM
does not show up.

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project
https://kamarada.github.io/

Re: Leap 15.0 Beta - problems within VirtualBox

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2018, 12:28:24 schrieb Linux Kamarada:
> Should I open two bugs, one for KDE and other for GNOME, or just one? I
> believe they have the same cause, but they are somehow different.

This is neither a bug in KDE nor GNOME.

As I wrote already, IMHO the problem is that KMS is not working.
Apparently the vboxvideo *kernel module* is missing.

I'm currently building a package that has it enabled again, please try that,
but it isn't finished yet.

According to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=VirtualBox-vboxvideo-Plans it may be in the standard kernel since 4.13, but I don't see
it in the openSUSE kernel package (maybe it's not enabled?).

> If I login as a non priviledged user, I'm not able to
> startx.

That's normal.
You cannot run startx as non priviledged user since years.

You'd need to make the Xorg executable suid root for that, but that's
considered to be a security risk.

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not exist and journalctl does not show
> useful information to debug why SDDM does not show up.

What about systemctl status display-manager?

Is the default target actually "graphical.target" or is it rather set to boot
to text mode?
"systemctl get-default"

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2018, 15:53:08 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> I'm currently building a package that has it enabled again, please try that,
> but it isn't finished yet.

It's ready now, please try to install virtualbox-guest-kmp-default from here:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/Virtualization/openSUSE_Leap_15.0

Btw, Tumbleweed's kernel packages do include vboxvideo, but it's still in
staging so I didn't see it at first.
Leap 15's kernel 4.12 doesn't have it at all yet, though.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: Leap 15.0 Beta - problems within VirtualBox

Linux Kamarada
> Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2018, 15:53:08 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
>> I'm currently building a package that has it enabled again, please try that,
>> but it isn't finished yet.
>
> It's ready now, please try to install virtualbox-guest-kmp-default from here:
> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/Virtualization/openSUSE_Leap_15.0

Okay! We have three battle fronts now:

1) KDE VM

I did:

# zypper ar -f -K -n "wolfgang"
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/Virtualization/openSUSE_Leap_15.0
wolfgang

# zypper in wolfgang:virtualbox-guest-kmp-default

# reboot

Default resolution changed to 800x600, but this time I was able to
resize. Everything working fine.

2) GNOME VM

I ran the same commands. After rebooting, default resolution got
bigger (not sure it was 800x600). Plymouth boot screen showed the Leap
animation instead of three dots (how nice that animation is!). But
with LightDM I'm still not able to resize nor enter the GNOME desktop,
behavior remains the same. I installed GDM and switched to it as
display manager, then rebooted. With GDM I was able to both resize and
enter the GNOME desktop.

3) Live image

I updated my config.kiwi to include your package, OBS is working on
rebuilding the image.

Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2018, 14:45:59 schrieb Linux Kamarada:

> > Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2018, 15:53:08 schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> >> I'm currently building a package that has it enabled again, please try
> >> that, but it isn't finished yet.
> >
> > It's ready now, please try to install virtualbox-guest-kmp-default from
> > here:
> > https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/Virt
> > ualization/openSUSE_Leap_15.0
> Okay! We have three battle fronts now:

But my package fixes all 3 of them, right?

(no idea about lightdm, but maybe you try to login to a X11 session, while gdm
would login to a Wayland session or vice-versa, and something necessary is not
installed for one of them?)

I'll submit it then.

I'm not sure about Tumbleweed though, apparently it shouldn't be needed there
anymore, but OTOH it shouldn't harm either I suppose.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: Leap 15.0 Beta - problems within VirtualBox

Linux Kamarada
> But my package fixes all 3 of them, right?

Yes!

OBS finished its job:

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/livesuse:/15.0:/dev/images/iso/

I downloaded the image and tested it, everything works as expected.
The linux user logs in automatically and the KDE desktop is shown. It
is possible to resize the host window and get the guest resolution
adjusted accordingly.

Congratulations to the openSUSE Team! Keep up the good work!

Antonio
The Linux Kamarada Project
http://kamarada.github.io/